PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the spur gear


littlened
10-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Firstly, this is an expensive hobby.

I've just had the lazer and some cones out, and somehow managed to get a stone between the pinion and spur, the pinion is fine but the spur now has a damaged tooth which produces a very unhealthy roar.

So, I need to buy a new spur. 10 minutes practicing has just cost me £5!

First time I had the car out I broke one of the standard shocks, they were crap anyway. Second time I took the car out(racing) I broke something on the front that holds the pins in and had to replace it with an alloy one. Now I've damaged a pinion. I've only had the car out three times!

Now I have to order a spur, I'm wondering what the difference between the RTR spur (la206-78) and the SP spur(la206-18) is ?

mattb
10-11-2009, 01:37 PM
does the rtr model have an ajustable slipper ?? ive never seen an rtr up close!

littlened
10-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Looking at the exploded view for both the SP and the RTR they both have exactly the same parts around the spur apart from the spur and a baring. So I would say yes., it has an adjustable slipper.

There's a nut holding the spur on with a spring behind it, which I'm assuming controls the slippage.

Am I on the right lines?

mattb
10-11-2009, 01:42 PM
i think youve got part numbers mixed up there mate i can only find a la206-76 or la206-78 the last numbers represent the number of teeth on the spur you wont be able to get an 18t one itd be way to small.both would fit your car it depends on what gearing youd want.

littlened
10-11-2009, 01:44 PM
i think youve got part numbers mixed up there mate i can only find a la206-76 or la206-78 the last numbers represent the number of teeth on the spur you wont be able to get an 18t one itd be way to small.

ah its the printout, the 7 looks like a 1, but when I've opened the PDF at 200% you can see it's meant to be a 7.

My stupid fault...thanks

mattb
10-11-2009, 01:46 PM
so if you get the 76t it would make your car higher geared than the 78t one.

littlened
10-11-2009, 01:48 PM
so if you get the 76t it would make your car higher geared than the 78t one.

I'm just getting the same as the one that was on, as well as some diff grease for when I change the shafts and a set of yellow springs.

Hopefully the undertray I've ordered will help stop the crap getting into the car in future.

mattb
10-11-2009, 01:50 PM
get AE stealth diff grease and i use muchmore thrust grease you can get both from microtech racing

mattb
10-11-2009, 01:53 PM
when i ran the standard zx5 i found the bright yellow front springs 75 rate and the blue rears 68 rate was a good conbination for me

littlened
10-11-2009, 01:59 PM
arggh I've already placed the order now :(

Just had a delivery from microtech of a loads of SP parts :thumbsup:
Waiting for some others to come into stock and I can get cracking.

mattb
10-11-2009, 02:28 PM
nice one mate!!

littlened
10-11-2009, 03:11 PM
I've been looking at the parts that have been delivered and there's a few other parts that I'm missing that were not on my original purchase list.

I've had to order 96641 - Shims, and some Aluminium collars W0145 & W0144 - Another £15!

By the time I've finished I could of bought one of those team durango thingies and it would of still been cheaper :lol:

petemid8
10-11-2009, 04:16 PM
I know how you feel mate, I started with a RTR Lazer which I bought in August and to date I have spent nearly £800 including race fees, 3 lipos, charger, wheels, tyres, parts, etc etc etc. My advice is don't add it all up.:thumbsup:

RogerM
10-11-2009, 05:22 PM
By the time I've finished I could of bought one of those team durango thingies and it would of still been cheaper :lol:

We did more than hint that getting the proper race spec car would work out cheaper in the long run ... always does!

Let us know how you get on with the upgrades

bigred5765
10-11-2009, 05:26 PM
I know how you feel mate, I started with a RTR Lazer which I bought in August and to date I have spent nearly £800 including race fees, 3 lipos, charger, wheels, tyres, parts, etc etc etc. My advice is don't add it all up.:thumbsup:

lol thats funny, you cant really include parts that break tires and race fees, if i did that with my real car it would have cost twice its original price when i bought it new,

mattb
10-11-2009, 05:51 PM
I know how you feel mate, I started with a RTR Lazer which I bought in August and to date I have spent nearly £800 including race fees, 3 lipos, charger, wheels, tyres, parts, etc etc etc. My advice is don't add it all up.:thumbsup:wait until you start on tools and race bags youl be like me then all the gear and no idea lol:thumbsup:

littlened
10-11-2009, 09:33 PM
We did more than hint that getting the proper race spec car would work out cheaper in the long run ... always does!

Let us know how you get on with the upgrades

I think I knew deep down I knew the upgrade way was going to cost more, but I'd also get a sense of satisfaction from doing it, and it's easier to hide once car from the mrs :lol:

RogerM
11-11-2009, 12:34 PM
I think I knew deep down I knew the upgrade way was going to cost more, but I'd also get a sense of satisfaction from doing it, and it's easier to hide once car from the mrs :lol:

Hiding the car is the easy bit .... I always found that hiding the bank statements and VISA bills much harder :p

littlened
11-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Hiding the car is the easy bit .... I always found that hiding the bank statements and VISA bills much harder :p

The joys of running your own business that the mrs has absolutely no hand in.

Either put the parts down to sponsorship, or I'll get taxed on them at the end of the year, either way, the mrs doesn't fine out :lol: