PDA

View Full Version : ZX-5 Chassi


jaank
15-11-2009, 05:00 PM
We are racing in 0C or colder. So the plastic brake's easy.
How to prevent chassi snapping before the first axle?

rc_penguin
15-11-2009, 05:15 PM
someone from the states used to make an aluminium brace to cure this but i cant remeber his name? there probably still around on ebay if you have a look.

sparrow.2
15-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Use the atomic carbon or KMC graphite chassis conversion.

Sub zero temperatures will make any plastic brittle and more prone to breaking.

jaank
15-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Isnt carbon even more brickler and even more easily brokeble?
Im not shure which main chassi to buy?
Carbon or composit.

EDIT: The chassis stiffner is made by Napalm Racing.
Is there anything more that would make my chassi stronger?

mattb
15-11-2009, 05:40 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kyosho-Lazer-ZX5-ZX-5-Aluminum-Front-Chassis-Brace_W0QQitemZ120474663141QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadi o_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1c0cd978e5 theres the link for one forsale on ebay mate

jaank
15-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks mattb.

But still should i buy 3racing chassi or stock?

And are there any more chassi stiffeners?

mattb
15-11-2009, 05:46 PM
if it was me id buy the carbon composite chassis la214 then put the brace on

mattb
15-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks mattb.

But still should i buy 3racing chassi or stock?

And are there any more chassi stiffeners?i have read some posts on here that the car dousent handle as well with the kmc chassis because it loses its flex but i dont know how true it is as ive never tried one

RogerM
16-11-2009, 04:17 PM
I've driven a KMC converted car and it was a hateful thing to drive!!!!

littlened
16-11-2009, 04:32 PM
I've driven a KMC converted car and it was a hateful thing to drive!!!!

I thought about buying the conversion anarl, thank god I didn't

jaank
17-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Any tips more how to make my zx-5 bomb-proof?
It just broke's and broke's. I am a bad driver or shit car?

petemid8
17-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Which bits are you breaking?

jaank
17-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Alot of hub carrier, knuckel, now broke a chassi, anything. I just cant finish a race without problem.

RogerM
17-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Which version of the car are you running?

In 2008 (car built Oct 07 and raced out doors most of the winter too) with the SP I broke 2 front towers, one front arm and stripped the threads in one rear hub (car never had a transmission component replaced in it's life till it was sold!) .... considering the abuse I throw at it that is a damn reliable car!!!!

The FS has been a little bit more fragile in terms of front shock towers but I have not broken anything else AT ALL this year!!!! I have now concluded that as I was pushing the FS MUCH harder than the SP during the initial set-up phase and also doing it in race conditions (in the freezing winter) rather than on an empty track as I did with the SP it was me rather than the quality of the Kyosho parts which caused those failures.
That said I now run a front shock tower brace for piece of mind but really doubt it's actually needed!

One of the reasons I'm so much a fan of the RB5/ZX5-FS is the quality of materials and overall robustness of the designs.

jaank
17-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Ride easy or agressive?
Ok, im driving RTR, with has all SP gear-s (cvd-s and differentials) so should get an SP and fast. :D

jaank
26-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Bought SP :) Thanks everybody.

Now carpet setup needed.

RogerM
27-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Bought SP :) Thanks everybody.

Now carpet setup needed.


If you hunt down my generic / base set-up for the SP and make these changes you will have an awesomely responsive car on carpet (I'm assuming you actually mean indoor carpet not astrotruf, if you do mean astro turf then just use my base set-up)!

Shocks, out on wishbone front and rear
Springs, Kyosho #75 lime green on the front, Losi Orange on the rear (you will need to use a Losi or JConcepts lower spring platform, no Kyosho spring stiff enough)
Anti-roll bars, 1.2mm both front and rear (sometimes used a 1.4mm on the rear)
Ride height about 5mm lower than for off-raod both ends.

I normally ran permenant 4wd indoors as having the brakes is far more important than having the turn in and the additional front ARB helps with that anyway.

Hope that helps

jaank
27-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Where to get your basic setup? :blush:
And what's the product code's of the losi parts?
And tires? I have Losi Ifmar pins.
And if they are on regular lazer rims, do i have to change the rims?

RogerM
30-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Where to get your basic setup? :blush:
And what's the product code's of the losi parts?
And tires? I have Losi Ifmar pins.
And if they are on regular lazer rims, do i have to change the rims?

Search set-ups here or on Petic RC
Scumacher Yellow mini pins ar ethe tire of choice of most on carpet
Yes, the SP uses very similar steering geometry to the majority of other cars out there now and running the original wheels will ruin the handling even if they don't make the car too wide to be legal (which I am sure they do)

jaank
09-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Could you give me the right product code for the SP front wheels?
I have now 3 pairs of front tires and only 1 pair right wheels.

jaank
12-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Had first race with my SP today.
Your setup= gorgeus. It works like a charm.
Only my car could drive trough some corners with full throtle and easy.
Had my 3-rd drove with offroad car and finiseh 4 or 5th of 9 competisior.
Just a fun to drive, but i had some baby-problems and then couldn't finish better. My best lap 19.5 , the fastest driver 18,3.

bert digler
12-12-2009, 09:49 PM
I've driven a KMC converted car and it was a hateful thing to drive!!!!

yes roger it was a pile of spaff:mad: have you tried boiling the parts:p

RogerM
13-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Had first race with my SP today.
Your setup= gorgeus. It works like a charm.
Only my car could drive trough some corners with full throtle and easy.
Had my 3-rd drove with offroad car and finiseh 4 or 5th of 9 competisior.
Just a fun to drive, but i had some baby-problems and then couldn't finish better. My best lap 19.5 , the fastest driver 18,3.

Glad you enjoyed the car. If you need any further help then just ask mate :)

jaank
13-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Only i had a problem in highspeed corners.
I coulnd't take it fast because i didnt had grip on the back.
I dint'd but ARB on the front, so i thought to put it on to the front or put soffter spring to the back (i have dark greens #80) because the nitros drive to on our track and its slippery.
Any ideas?

EDIT: And are there any good and must have mods for for zx-5 sp?
My car has little mod done (ala battery strap with screw and something like that)

EDIT2: Which foams you use in schummi mini spins and where to get them?

RogerM
14-12-2009, 04:41 PM
#70 (silver) or #68 blue springs on the rear mate!!!!!!

I did very few mods to my SP, other than the king pin ball stud mod and ttatnium turnbuckles it ran mostly box stock.

jaank
14-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Ok.

Mine in action (dont look the wires. Really dont had time for them)
http://picasaweb.google.com/vanaema78/Wintercup#5415167095570627826
http://http://lh3.ggpht.com/_pxKThOCH2VU/SyaKLo_mslI/AAAAAAAABGA/stqaw37kBdg/Kuvat%C3%B5mmis-2.jpg

jaank
16-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Where i could buy Mini Spikes and inserts from the same shop?
And they have to ship to estonia.

Could i use Green compund? Dont have money to change the tires every race. They have to OK for atleast 2 races.

jaank
19-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Where i could buy Mini Spikes and inserts from the same shop?
And they have to ship to estonia.

Could i use Green compund? Dont have money to change the tires every race. They have to OK for atleast 2 races.

EDIT: HEELP. Which shop in the UK has the Sp wheels and schumacher tires in stock?

Col
19-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Nearly every UK shop.
DMS are one of the best. Make sure they will ship overseas though.
http://www.dms-racing.com/

jaank
20-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Wow, 30£ for 4x wheels/tires/inserts. :thumbdown:

sparrow.2
20-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Wow, 30£ for 4x wheels/tires/inserts. :thumbdown:

Yes, that is what racing model cars costs. What exactly is your point?

jaank
20-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Tire prices are the one only thing that pisses me off about rc's.

Col
20-12-2009, 09:39 PM
I assume you know you don't have to change the wheels and inserts much?
I have 3 full sets of wheels that I just change the tyres on and rotate round to the next. Helps that I only run on 1 surface though.

RogerM
21-12-2009, 12:45 AM
Running on anything that is thrown at me I use about 8-10 sets of wheels. Some of the wheels and foams are several years old!!

Tires are the second most expensive part of the hobby (after the fuel in the 1:1 car to get to events ... grrrrr).

I always say that a car that is working well is a car that is easy on tires .... well my RB5 and ZX5-FS are VERY easy on tires, I often get several eventsout of a set of tires before I feel I have to change and I'm trying to hold on to the fast guys!

jaank
25-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Is ZX-5 FS better than the ZX-5 FS thats converted from the ZX-5 SP?

RogerM
25-01-2010, 12:27 PM
No difference if converted from a true SP (as in a car with the SP/FS suspension not an original ZX5).

Actually not 100% true, the FS kit uses a slightly wider set of rear hinge pin braces but as most people use the ali upgrade parts (LAW36 & LAW37) they can set them to the same width anyway.

jaank
25-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Mkay.
May conver to FS to have some good setups and to make life a bit easier.
Im not 100% happy with my SP. So lets see.
Conversion kit is around 150usd, right?

RogerM
25-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Not sure how much they are to be honest, best have a look on the web mate.

mattb
25-01-2010, 05:07 PM
No difference if converted from a true SP (as in a car with the SP/FS suspension not an original ZX5).

Actually not 100% true, the FS kit uses a slightly wider set of rear hinge pin braces but as most people use the ali upgrade parts (LAW36 & LAW37) they can set them to the same width anyway.
roger i was looking at the fs conversion for my sp and i dont think you get rear drive shafts in the kit are sp and fs one the same length its just looking at my sp if you had wider rear hinge pins the drive shafts would be close to poping out???

RogerM
25-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Your correct that you don't get the shafts (you need the silver shafts from an RB5) but you can get away with the original SP ones, that is what is in my car until the next rebuild!!

mattb
25-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Your correct that you don't get the shafts (you need the silver shafts from an RB5) but you can get away with the original SP ones, that is what is in my car until the next rebuild!!ah right so i presume it just limits you with what inserts you can use in the hinge pin holders?

jaank
27-01-2010, 09:24 PM
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/reviewrb5x/shock03.jpg

Is that black tool useable on velvet shock?
Tried it on mine but it didnt work.

mattb
27-01-2010, 09:42 PM
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/reviewrb5x/shock03.jpg

Is that black tool useable on velvet shock?
Tried it on mine but it didnt work.yes mate its to big for the normal shocks

RogerM
28-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Indeed you can, there has been no change to the dimensions of the cartridge between the tripple cap shocks and the velvet coated tripple cap shocks.

jaank
28-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Mkay, tried mine on the ZX-5 regular shock.
Worked.

jaank
29-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Sorry for a double.

Can i use my SP diff cases on my FS, because i got like 10 pairs of them?