View Full Version : My XX4 with LiPo saddle
Oliv996
02-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Lot of work to get this result. Hope you will enjoy few pics :woot:
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1938/img3099zf.jpg
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/5971/img3057b.jpg
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7198/img3061eo.jpg
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/3451/img3063b.jpg
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/6035/img3064.jpg
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9876/img3065i.jpg
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/4089/img3066ee.jpg
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/7316/img3067.jpg
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8590/img3068wl.jpg
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/899/img3069kg.jpg
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/6112/img3071r.jpg
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/8223/img3072w.jpg
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/5388/img3073k.jpg
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8247/img3074t.jpg
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/112/img3075c.jpg
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/1068/img3094vp.jpg
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/8193/img3076c.jpg
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3282/img3077h.jpg
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5876/img3079i.jpg
Oliv996
02-12-2009, 02:23 PM
One more batch...
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3457/img3080i.jpg
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/6876/img3081v.jpg
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9133/img3082r.jpg
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7081/img3083d.jpg
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9374/img3084l.jpg
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/7994/img3086n.jpg
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5859/img3088tt.jpg
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5623/img3089m.jpg
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6710/img3089x.jpg
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2527/img3090r.jpg
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2128/img3091k.jpg
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/4007/img3092z.jpg
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/9882/img2955k.jpg
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/7564/img2949.jpg
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/9854/img2950x.jpg
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/4978/img2951k.jpg
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/7754/img2952.jpg
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5838/img2953j.jpg
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7765/img2954.jpg
sparrow.2
02-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Wow! Superclean install!
Looks really excellent :thumbsup:
Chris Doughty
02-12-2009, 02:47 PM
that is the nuts! :thumbsup:
everything is perfect, even down to the tires...
only thing... personally, I would loose the rear skit plate
peetbee
02-12-2009, 03:02 PM
:thumbsup::drool::drool:
Oliv996
02-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks Chris :thumbsup:
Agree with you about the skid plate: I expect to mount it only when running on sever abusing tracks 'cause XX4 chassis bottom end is quite fragile where rear bumper is mount ;)
Dalla
02-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Have you got any pics of the car without the lipos in, so we can see the detail of the brass lipo tray?
Also love to see more detail of the front wishbone savers. Do you use a custom screw into the hub?
Also like the rear Ali hinge pin brace and rear bumper holder. Have you done anything at the other end to retain the hinge pins?
olefiloux
02-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Gabuzomeuh!!!!:drool:
Give me you price Bro!!!!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
mikeyscott
02-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Stunning! Is it running at Petit?
isobarik
02-12-2009, 04:31 PM
That was a very very very nice looking car. :drool:
mvh Isobarik
ashleyb4
02-12-2009, 06:43 PM
That is a stunning car!!. Need some more info on those front wishbone savers.
A
Oliv996
02-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Stunning! Is it running at Petit?
No I will not in :blush:
Oliv996
02-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Have you got any pics of the car without the lipos in, so we can see the detail of the brass lipo tray?
Also love to see more detail of the front wishbone savers. Do you use a custom screw into the hub?
Also like the rear Ali hinge pin brace and rear bumper holder. Have you done anything at the other end to retain the hinge pins?
Hi Dalla,
I will take some pics without LiPo in so that you will see the Manutech Racing LiPo weight balancer...
The front wishbone savers have been home made few years ago when I were racing X5. The screws are coming out of the kit but have been tapered so that same lenght are in the hub carrier. I will also post some pics ;)
About the rear hinge pins, they are only stopped by the rear bumper as they are in the kit.
Cheers
Panic
02-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Excellent job, like the way you have soldered the wires from ESC to motor. :thumbsup:
T'es top fort mec ! :thumbsup:
Spencer Mulcahy
02-12-2009, 10:38 PM
I am really anal about the wiring in my cars this is fantastic mine looks a mess now LOL.:thumbsup:
caciqueconnection
03-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Superbly clean, in my opinion one of the 4 most important things in a kit.
Reliable, tunable, clean...and fast, of course.
Hope you don't mind I use a couple of ideas :thumbsup:
ace028
03-12-2009, 01:35 AM
WOW, nice job!!! I hope to make my cars as clean as yours!!!
Oliv996
03-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Here is the front wishbone saver parts:
The saver itself:
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/7809/dscn4881.jpg
The modified screws:
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9724/dscn4879.jpg
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6343/dscn4873l.jpg
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/7548/dscn4875.jpg
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/8672/dscn4876.jpg
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8944/dscn4878b.jpg
rob84
03-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Oliv can you buy the brass lipo tray?
GRIFF55
03-12-2009, 07:49 PM
VERY NICE Olivier!!!!:drool::drool: I'm building one for the shelf at home and i hope it looks as good as yours!
Danny McGee
04-12-2009, 12:04 AM
that is the nuts! :thumbsup:
everything is perfect, even down to the tires...
only thing... personally, I would loose the rear skit plate
Clearly you missed the biggest thing Chris. Sort out the length of the steering turnbuckle. Its like 10 turns to long. Other than that looks cool.
I wish we can those tyres and not just at the odd hot day at kiddy (ahhhh the good ole days)
Has it be put in a vacum box and stored for the rest of your days?
Oliv996
04-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Clearly you missed the biggest thing Chris. Sort out the length of the steering turnbuckle. Its like 10 turns to long. Other than that looks cool.
I see what you mean Danny. I will correct this point :lol:
Fantastic work as always Olivier!!! :woot:
You should ask Jimmy to make you your's own blog here on oOple! I'd love to know "where you're at" at all times! :thumbsup:
I've got tons of cars myself, but still find the handling of the XX4 unbeatable! But the belts are a bit narrow for astro and brushless...
Would it be possible to do a mod with wider belts???
Oliv996
04-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Here is the Manutech Racing (http://www.manutech.info/rcracinghome/racingproducts.html) LiPo weight balancer. It's the model design for AE TC5 but once cut it fits perfect in the XX4 ;)
It has been machined a little to have 80g extra weight (40g on each side). The original part weights around 120g.
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/2846/dscn9213.jpg
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/1699/dscn9212.jpg
Oliv996
05-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Here is the mod I've made on steering bell crank to make it more reliable.
A socket head M3 screw. I reduced head diameter so that it fit the ball bearing.
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/7238/img3101r.jpg
I drilled a hole on the top of the part so that 1.5mm pin goes in:
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/2498/img3103b.jpg
The pin assembled:
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/5669/img3104h.jpg
I drilled the upper part so that pin also goes in:
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4012/img3105r.jpg
The assembly:
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9489/img3107l.jpg
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/194/img3110.jpg
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/5982/img3111.jpg
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/5908/img3112j.jpg
Kusal
15-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Hi Olivier,
I saw that you fitted the Lesro one-way but how did you center the pulley on the one-way?:woot:
I cannot seem to get it centered correctly:(
Thanks:thumbsup:
Kusal
I have a few questions
what is a lesro pulley?
is that a pengiun front shock brace, how is the turnbuckle mounted at the bottom?
do you have your clickers locked? what belts do you use?
thanks
B44&501xRacerEX
23-12-2009, 06:35 AM
Oliver's car is the prettiest car I have ever seen.
I have cleaned and scrubbed my XX-4 it does look good so far,
but the only way to get mine to look as good as his is buy new parts.:thumbsup:
Danny McGee
23-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Just out of interest. How do you plan to run the lipo's forward? Or is that a simple answer and you wont be? :)
lynx75
23-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Wow, it's a superb car, amazing.
Where did you find carbon battey holder?
Thanks.
91notch5.0
24-12-2009, 01:41 AM
nice job on the bellcrank! i ca mine on and use uncure to get it off. I just tried lcds's on the front and it add LOTS of steering. Also, i run lipos with ONLY velcro!
Oliv996
26-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Hi Olivier,
I saw that you fitted the Lesro one-way but how did you center the pulley on the one-way?:woot:
I cannot seem to get it centered correctly:(
Thanks:thumbsup:
Kusal
I've machined some (to get spares) so the pulley is well centered on the oneway :yawn:
Oliv996
26-12-2009, 09:08 AM
I have a few questions
what is a lesro pulley?
is that a pengiun front shock brace, how is the turnbuckle mounted at the bottom?
do you have your clickers locked? what belts do you use?
thanks
Hi,
The front shock brace is home made inspired by Penguin model. The brace is mounted with long ballstud and secured with locknut.
I set the clicker free as I run the front oneway and green belts all the way.
Oliv996
26-12-2009, 09:14 AM
Just out of interest. How do you plan to run the lipo's forward? Or is that a simple answer and you wont be? :)
Hi Danny,
I know it's out of interest for you :lol:
So yes, I don't plan to run lipo's forward but if I would, I will play with LiPo balancer weight instead of change LiPo location. What do you think about a carbon fiber lipo balancer under the left saddle and put an extra brass weight just in front of the motor ?
Oliv996
26-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Wow, it's a superb car, amazing.
Where did you find carbon battey holder?
Thanks.
Thanks !
Battery holders are home made...
Oliv'
Evsie
26-12-2009, 04:29 PM
That is one of the nicest setups I have ever seen on any car, completely stunning. Great work Olivier; I wish I had half of your skills.:thumbsup:
B44&501xRacerEX
26-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Mine is pretty much a mixture from the other 2 cars I have.
I have cut scrap carbon fiber left over from my 501 and B44.
To put on those shock towers.
I plan on buying a new body as well, and have a painter paint it for me.
Fiddybux
26-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Absolutely beautiful work...really very impressive.
The only thing I would recommend is a brace for the rear shock tower camber link arms...something like this from the E-Speed parts range.
http://www.xfactorystore.com/Images/ESpeedX-5camberlinkBrace.jpg
ashleyb4
26-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Why its totally pointless that part was puredesigned for the x5 as you have to remove material from the shock tower.
A
Oliv996
26-12-2009, 08:50 PM
That is one of the nicest setups I have ever seen on any car, completely stunning. Great work Olivier; I wish I had half of your skills.:thumbsup:
My best friend for this job is time... time to think about mod, time to turn ESC in all position and imagine where cables should be :woot::woot::woot: :lol:
Oliv'
Fiddybux
27-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Why its totally pointless that part was puredesigned for the x5 as you have to remove material from the shock tower.
A
Chill! It's just an opinion.
I used to break them when I ran a standard XX4 - I've always had one fitted and it helped me.
Garry Driffill
27-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Chill! It's just an opinion.
I used to break them when I ran a standard XX4 - I've always had one fitted and it helped me.
me too :thumbsup:
Agreed! - Why chance it going Ash? When for the sake of nockin' one up out of a spare peice of Carbon Fibre or buying one to make it totally safe!
Looks bomb proof already but with that extra part it will be totally 'Kitted out!'
ashleyb4
27-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Ive snapped a losi titanium ball stud in a xx4 shock tower. The chances are the ball stud will snap, the hub will brake or ball cup will strip and the turnbuckle come out before you brake the tower.
A
baruke
01-01-2010, 07:22 PM
beautiful car oliver!
about the steering mod, how long is the 3M screw used?
Oliv996
02-01-2010, 12:15 PM
beautiful car oliver!
about the steering mod, how long is the 3M screw used?
I started from a Socket Head M3x40 but it's too long, a M3x35 would be perfect but doesn't exist :yawn:
lynx75
03-01-2010, 10:50 PM
The best Losi XX4 ever seen before.
Excellent job.
Oliv996
04-01-2010, 08:37 AM
The best Losi XX4 ever seen before.
Excellent job.
Thanks :thumbsup:
Hope it will give you good idea once you will have yours ;)
Oliv'
AmiSMB
04-01-2010, 09:16 AM
That is fantastic Oliver I am in awe of this car. One question I have got is what is the capacitor set that you are running with the Tekin RS Pro?
Oliv996
04-01-2010, 12:30 PM
That is fantastic Oliver I am in awe of this car. One question I have got is what is the capacitor set that you are running with the Tekin RS Pro?
The capacitors board is a Roche one. Have a look on this link (http://www.roche.hk/roche-products.htm) (Part No.:ROC-R4SC, at the bottom of the page)
Olivier
racingdwarf
04-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Very nice! xx4 has to be one of the best rc cars ever made,just how long has it been a race winning car! and that one looks so good:drool:
My XX4 is far from The Brains sweet thing! But I'm doing a new mod (with the super cool stuff 3M DP490) which I'm hoping will work out well...
Will post pics when it's all done... :rolleyes:
Oliv996
05-01-2010, 07:57 AM
My XX4 is far from The Brains sweet thing! But I'm doing a new mod (with the super cool stuff 3M DP490) which I'm hoping will work out well...
Will post pics when it's all done... :rolleyes:
Cool mate !!!
Now you're addicted to DP490 :lol:
SHY, I would be please to see your work done on pics :drool:
The stuff is great! Binds well and easy to dremel afterwards!
But it does indeed run a little before dry... do you use heat to make it dry quicker?
What's that heatsink on the motor you've used? LRP?
Oliv996
05-01-2010, 01:59 PM
The stuff is great! Binds well and easy to dremel afterwards!
But it does indeed run a little before dry... do you use heat to make it dry quicker?
What's that heatsink on the motor you've used? LRP?
Yes SHY, it takes a while to dry as deep as enough to dremelize. In fact, this delay becomes longer with old tubes of DP490... That's the deal with this kind of epoxy glue, we have to cope with it :cry:
The motor heatsink is the Trinity aftermarket option part for XX4. Very hard to find one, even on eBay :(
Rocking Donkey
05-01-2010, 04:47 PM
I remember seeing the motor heatsinks on the DMS website not too long ago, although I think they were red. Might be worth getting in touch with them?
Oliv996
07-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Part no?
I think it's TK1100 :rolleyes:
Checked with DMS, no such luck... :(
baruke
07-01-2010, 03:09 PM
I started from a Socket Head M3x40 but it's too long, a M3x35 would be perfect but doesn't exist :yawn:
thanks, ill be working on that mod this weekend.
May i ask how you got the front shock tower brace to be flush with the tower? how did you mount it at the bottom?
lynx75
09-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Hi Oliv996,
what Tekin brushless motor is installed on your wonderful XX4 please?
Is Tekin motor a 6.5T?
Thank you.
lynx75
29-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Oliver,
I sent a message to you, please send me a feedback.
thanks.
Here goes my master!
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40991
Nowhere near your fantastic specimen, I just tried to be creative as to making belt changes easier...
There's always room for improvement, does the Brain see any further improvement ideas?
The Brain never rests... :woot:
Lynx75 : Olivier uses a 6.5 on his "precious".
God I loved Super Sprint! Played it one hour each day when I was in the army :thumbsup:
;)
1 hour each day! Some respect is due here.
I used to play endless nights with friends on a Atari 1040 ST :D
lynx75
23-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Hi Oliv' ,
where did you find the modificated Outdrive, please? How it works?
Next time you'll re-build you amazing car takes some pictures....
Attached a pic of your car.
thanks,
Marco.
pugboy
23-09-2010, 12:36 PM
It is an outdrive saver, a little sleeve that fits over the plastic outdrive to strengthen it. Some people just use steel outdrives.
Cheers
Oliv996
23-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Hi Oliv' ,
where did you find the modificated Outdrive, please? How it works?
Next time you'll re-build you amazing car takes some pictures....
Attached a pic of your car.
thanks,
Marco.
They are homemade and based on Trinity/Brian Kinwald design. And as Pugboy said, they are useful with plastic outdrives to preserve them on had landings...
lynx75
23-09-2010, 12:59 PM
They are homemade and based on Trinity/Brian Kinwald design. And as Pugboy said, they are useful with plastic outdrives to preserve them on had landings...
Is it possible to find them outhere, please?
I'll sent a private message to you. I'm waiting your feedback.
Thank you.
I bought mine from Chris Long (custom made). But I prefer the steel ones, works like a charm and no wear!
lynx75
23-09-2010, 02:43 PM
I bought mine from Chris Long (custom made). But I prefer the steel ones, works like a charm and no wear!
Where did you find the steel version, please? Always from custom made?
Please send me the website to find them.
thanks a lot
No, that's standard Losi parts, check out this site for many goodies:
www.ymr.no/x5tuning.htm (http://www.ymr.no/x5tuning.htm)
and
www.ymr.no/10ORtips.htm
(should set you back a few bucks! :lol:)
lynx75
26-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Thank you so much SHY.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
tarotrex
30-09-2010, 05:59 AM
The modifying works worth 5 stars+++++!!!:thumbsup: I am so inspired to rebuild my Street weapon!
fastinfastout
30-09-2010, 05:08 PM
what losi tyres are they?
they dont look like any losi tyre I have seen before, very confused:confused:
super__dan
02-10-2010, 03:56 PM
what losi tyres are they?
they dont look like any losi tyre I have seen before, very confused:confused:
Sprints I think.
Oliv996
02-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Well done Dan !
- Front 4WD: A-7284
- Rear Buggy: A-7375
I think theses tires are quite hard to find now:yawn:
jbaskew
15-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks !
Battery holders are home made...
Oliv'
So even the posts for the battery straps are homemade? I run lipo saddle nad would love it to look that comfortable.
Holeshot
16-12-2010, 03:03 AM
Wow, makes me wish I hold onto my XX4 WCE.
purplenut
16-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Awsome work there you really did some work on this specially the esc tidy.
Now wish i not sold mine.:(
Great work tho:thumbsup:
Legacy555
17-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Can anyone shed any light on how to weight up the XX4? I bought the manutech weights and they are far too heavy and in the wrong place altoghether. You can happily run lipos in the XX4 with 30-40g of total additional weight around the cells - 120g is far too much. So far Ive put 40g inside the front belt tunnel, 30g beside the spur gear spy hole, and 10g under the clicker spy hole, and 20g under each lipo. It's getting there, but still not quiet right. Any advice from anyone?
I simply prefer no weights added at all, no matter the surface. I just put very little lead on the outside of the tunnel / inside of the saddle pack LiPos to get it legal.
Low weight also saves the belts, which are very narrow for todays performance (snap easily).
I do this with the std. Worlds setup (see manual). Plus Ellis' steering mod. And front diff, no one-way.
It drives amazingly! :thumbsup:
Legacy555
06-01-2011, 10:47 AM
I simply prefer no weights added at all, no matter the surface. I just put very little lead on the outside of the tunnel / inside of the saddle pack LiPos to get it legal.
Low weight also saves the belts, which are very narrow for todays performance (snap easily).
I do this with the std. Worlds setup (see manual). Plus Ellis' steering mod. And front diff, no one-way.
It drives amazingly! :thumbsup:
Ok, I've been experimenting ;), and this weight setup doesn't allow you to get the most from the car. It's only about as quick as the dialled 2wd cars. The car pivots about the rear end too much.
So I've added 110 grams between the front belt housing, around the bellcranks and either side of the slipper shaft. It's much better - about 5% quicker - but still not fully there.
I'm going to copy Danny McGee's weighting now - as below - basically relocating the esc behind one of the lipo cells. hoping for an improvement..... :D
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/2009national-talywain/4wd/bigimages/OOP_4081.jpg
Oliv996
22-05-2012, 09:09 AM
I didn't run so much my XX4 but I already break a chassis on the front end, on one of the two "ears" which hold thread inserts for mounting the front bulkhead :(
I don't know if someone had already done the mod I made, but here it is described below.
So on a new chassis I decided to modify it by drilling two additional hole in order to insert longer front arm hinge pin in the bulkhead.
First mod, I used two old 1.2" rear shock shafts where I cut the threaded tips. On the following picture, one is cut and one is still uncut)
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6189/img0268gf.jpg
Then with an 1/8" drill bit through the bulkhead I drilled the chassis:
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/624/img0270gc.jpg
Here are some pictures with long hinge pins in place:
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/4830/img0280kl.jpg
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/6779/img0276ecr.jpg
Hope now it will prevent any ear breakage. I suppose I will break more front arms due to rigidify the the bulkhead but arms are less expensive than chassis and much more easy to replace than chassis....
Just my two cents
Naushad
22-05-2012, 09:20 PM
I think you'll eventually crack the chassis with the hole you've made.
Heard today that the XXX4 is now finally discontinued. Maybe now the wait for an updated XX4 is soon over!!! :thumbsup:
Oliv996
05-06-2012, 05:27 AM
I think you'll eventually crack the chassis with the hole you've made.
Yes I'm afraid of such a disaster :(
Heard today that the XXX4 is now finally discontinued. Maybe now the wait for an updated XX4 is soon over!!! :thumbsup:
It sounds good SHY :)
What cars are you running now Olivier?
lcpvcce
24-06-2012, 07:35 AM
here's my XX-4 with lipo saddle ................:blush:
Naushad
24-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Anyway, your setup is something to marvel at!!
Yes I'm afraid of such a disaster :(
It sounds good SHY :)
Naushad
24-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Looking good...pretty tidy! I definitely like it!
here's my XX-4 with lipo saddle ................:blush:
lcpvcce
24-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks for your watching and team losi is my part of favorite ...........:)
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.