View Full Version : Racing F1
DaveG28
07-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Anyone knows where races F1's, either Tamiya or any makes etc?
panch
07-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Where abouts in the country are you ??
telboy
07-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Stafford run them I think, indoors. Tamworth indoors. Bedworth outdoors....
Depends where you're coming from. :)
Paulnuneaton
07-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Tamworth run F1 we have just had the biggest turn out in the country with 30 F1's last week end next race night is Sat 16th tracks great see the videos at www.rccircuitcars.com (http://www.rccircuitcars.com) lot of chat about f1's on there as well mate who wants to freeze their nuts of out doors in this weather
jimmy
07-01-2010, 11:39 PM
What rules do the f1's run to at tamworth? what tyres are those guys running in the vids, foams or rubber?
DaveG28
07-01-2010, 11:40 PM
I'm in Cheshire and my folks in Stafford so Tamworth/Stafford is all good! Wouldn't have a kit till the end of the month at least, are these tracks running them through the rest of the winter?
DaveG28
07-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Ooh yeah, and rules, ifI got an F104 or F104 Pro what would I need to chuck on tyres wise and motor wise??
qatmix
08-01-2010, 09:36 AM
At the moment there are no specific rules. People are experimenting with motor combos. 10.5 - 17.5 brushless are used.
FTD was with a 17t motor which shows that the super power isnt needed. At the moment I run a 2s lipo with a 13t sensorless motor (total cost was about £45 for motor and esc new), which seems a popular choice. It is very fast though.
Tyres, well again kit tyres with additive are also the norm for indoors with carpet.
I know you are a tamiya nut like myself, but you should really consider the F109 by 3 racing. Its a cracking piece of kit and seems to be the new popular F1. You can get it in the uk for about £90.
I cant fault it, my F104pro is very nice, but the F109 seems much more planted than the f104. But really at this stage of the class I dont know how the f104 will develop.
Keep away from the corally conversions etc as they will soon be banned from f1 as they are not really F1's as they have massive rear wheels etc so they are looking at stopping these from a national series. Oh and the HPI isnt really that hot.
Check out my blog in my sig, I have a build thread etc of the F109.
Cheers
dave-p
08-01-2010, 09:58 AM
dave clear your inbox.
stox217
08-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Also racing at hinckley on saturdays
telboy
08-01-2010, 06:37 PM
At the Tamworth GP on the 2nd, TQ was taken by a 3racing F1-09 runnin 2s Lipo and a 10.5 motor, running kit tyres.
I had exactly the same kit and setup and it is a bit lairy! lol But controllable.
TQ would have gone to HPI (old vesion) modded prototype style chassis that would be well outside any rules that will be made. He would have been 4 laps clear!!! if his transonder had counted all his laps!:cry:
That is why we ar looking at banning the 'pro10' style F1's of the mid '90's.
DaveG28
08-01-2010, 08:33 PM
As I am a Tamiya Famboy, if I went for a 104 Pro would my speed passion LPF esc and a normal stick lipo fit in fine?
qatmix
09-01-2010, 01:02 PM
yeah, stick lipos fit ok so will the speed passion, If you bought the f104 pro you will also really need
54166 - Aluminium motor mount (essential)
54160 - titanium king pin
54161 - low friction suspension ball set
you might also want the soft t-bar.
I also got the titanium screw set cause I found one listed on ebay for cheap.
DaveG28
09-01-2010, 01:35 PM
yeah, stick lipos fit ok so will the speed passion, If you bought the f104 pro you will also really need
54166 - Aluminium motor mount (essential)
54160 - titanium king pin
54161 - low friction suspension ball set
you might also want the soft t-bar.
I also got the titanium screw set cause I found one listed on ebay for cheap.
I'd already earmarked the motor mount, will look at the other stuff too!
Are the kit screws hex head or philips?
DaveG28
09-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Couple more questions, will kit foams be ok?
Also, assuming 10.5 is too hot for it(?), on a 13.5 what would be a suitable pinion and what pitch do they use on the F104?
qatmix
09-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Kit foams and additive to start off with should be ok, again see what people have at the club. same with the motor, I'd say a 10.5 is a bit full on, so maybe a 13.5 or 17.5
Again see what people race where you are.
It uses tamiya 0.4 pitch, but you can swap out the spur easily. I use tamiya pinions.
DaveG28
09-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Kit foams and additive to start off with should be ok, again see what people have at the club. same with the motor, I'd say a 10.5 is a bit full on, so maybe a 13.5 or 17.5
Again see what people race where you are.
It uses tamiya 0.4 pitch, but you can swap out the spur easily. I use tamiya pinions.
0.4 is their trf touring one isn't it? Think I've got some lieing around!
qatmix
09-01-2010, 07:31 PM
yup. thats the one.
DaveG28
10-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Tamworth run F1 we have just had the biggest turn out in the country with 30 F1's last week end next race night is Sat 16th tracks great see the videos at www.rccircuitcars.com (http://www.rccircuitcars.com) lot of chat about f1's on there as well mate who wants to freeze their nuts of out doors in this weather
Are there other dates confirmed? Cars ordered, just need motor/battery now and I'm set, unless I can try the 6.5 I already have in it!?:woot:
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.