View Full Version : Thinking of getting CR2
carlin
08-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Hi Guys,
Right I'm looking at buying one of these kits.
May have my hand on CR kit fingers crossed.
But my questions is ob you guys had plenty of time to try things out & make any further or new mods to the car.
Just got few questions.
What extra items do i need? (i know electircs lol)
What further mods?
I see people running idle gear,what does this solve? What parts do I require
Whats the best for placing weight on the car where best place to get it?
When are they bringingout bodyshell for the car
Which is the best to run RHD or the LHD
Sorry on many questions just like to find out what is needed & get the stuff ready.
What do they feel like to drive compared to B4,i could never get on with mine.Always felt nervous to drive all the times!
V-Rossi
08-01-2010, 02:57 PM
CR2 is easier to drive and very predictable in its handling.
Most of the answers to your questions can be found in other topics here, have a look at them.
Not a single mod is 'needed', but you do need the XXX-NT bulkhead to attach the front end to the chassis.
Most people are using the idler gear mod, explained in the CR2 topic as well.
About the weight: in the UK they seem to use 15-30gr in the nose and a lead plate under the servo, I like a maximum amount of 10gr in the nose and around 110gr under the battery pack. I'm using a 20gr lead plate under the motor as well.
So what do you need besides the CR and CR2 kit:
- LOSA4160 Losi XXX-NT front bulkhead
- LOSA3079 Losi idler gear set
You just put a longer screw in the upper motor mounting hole, on which you put the idler. For the bearings used in it: take some old ones from a brushed/brushless motor, they fit fine. The idler mod will make it a 4-gear transmission, increasing rear end grip.
Set-ups can be found here:
http://atomic-carbon.gforceimages.net/cr2/index.html and http://www.petitrc.com/setup/atomiccarbon/SetupSheetsAtomicCarbonCR2.html
GRIFF55
08-01-2010, 04:43 PM
i used the car all of last season with no mods at all except for the added lead weights.
I have however started running the idler gear and will be getting the rudebits weights just to sexy the car up even more!! I would suggest having the front wing kit and extra droop front towers to aid tuning.
Compared to the b4 i found the car very easy and forgiving to drive, as my results proved. very happy with the cr2:thumbsup:
carlin
08-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks guys :thumbsup:
carlin
12-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Hi Guys,
Been reading few of the threads with interesting reads.
I have noticed the prices on the kits have gone up.
So have they included some extra parts like the idle gear etc.
If not when are they thinking of updating the kit with these parts?
I wont be looking to buy one till end of the month anyway.
What is the best kit to use the LHD or the RHD ?
OldTimer
12-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Hi Guys,
Been reading few of the threads with interesting reads.
I have noticed the prices on the kits have gone up.
So have they included some extra parts like the idle gear etc.
If not when are they thinking of updating the kit with these parts?
I wont be looking to buy one till end of the month anyway.
What is the best kit to use the LHD or the RHD ?
Prices have gone up mainly due to the VAT increase :( £5 per kit.
There will hopefully be various new items available shortly including the motor plate & idler kit, aluminium chassis and something else.
GRIFF55
12-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Something else!!! oooh do tell more:thumbsup:
OldTimer
12-01-2010, 07:15 PM
May have what ever it is at the Petit meeting if the proto is ready :drool:
carlin
12-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Ah thats ok :p
I will wait little bit longer before spending my money until i see the new stuff on sale.
flipside
12-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Yes I would wait a bit so you can order a kit with some of the new mods like the motor plate and idler solution. This saves you the hassle of trying to make it yourself like I did :-)
I also agree that this car is extremely good. For me it's the best car I owned, and I tried many already (XXX-Cr, B4, X6). It's as stable as the XXX-Cr, as fast (or faster) as the B4, and as forgiving as the X6. With an added bonus that it reacts to setup changes very well.
With the weight in the right place it's great on low grip too, without having to use exotic setups.
deepdale11
12-01-2010, 09:17 PM
what would you say is the best place to put the weight??
V-Rossi
12-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Under lipo and motor. And possibly around/under the gearbox :)
flipside
12-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Yes imo also as far back as possible, and nothing in the front. I know many people seem to put a lot of weight in the front too, but I believe it aids in the nose diving characteristics when turning. Also when measuring the weight balance on the front and rear wheels, the car has a lot of weight on the front wheels when you put only lead under the lipo (compared to other cars). When you add weight under the servo and in the bulkhead, the weight distribution is even more on the front...
I tested a lead plate under the gearbox (replaced the carbon fibre part with it) which works very well imo. I have no brass front bulkhead or any weight up front, nothing under servo, and weight under lipo's is also placed only at the back instead of filling up the whole space. Also avoid adding weight to far to the sides of the car as this slows down steering response.
But that's only my opinion :-) Have to do a lot more testing, starting at the petit race this weekend :-)
fastinfastout
13-01-2010, 02:21 AM
edit.....
sorry posted in the wrong thread
nevens
19-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Hi,
I'm interested by the conversion kit but have a question first.
At this time I'm running mostly 1/8 BLS and in that category you can switch motor rotation by interverting 2 wires. Can't we just do the same with a LRP Sphere?
Don't hit me :eh?:
GRIFF55
19-01-2010, 08:01 PM
when you run the idler gear mod, there is no need to reverse the rotation. Keep an eye on the website for the new goodies soon:drool:
DaSloth
19-01-2010, 08:13 PM
any ideas on how soon? got monies ready and waiting =)
OldTimer
19-01-2010, 08:46 PM
The new CR2 SE kit will hopefully be ready in the next 2-3 weeks and will include the new motorplate & idler kit along with the xd front towers, all in red carbon. The standard black CR2 LHD kits are in stock, and you could add the black version of the motorplate & idler kit as soon as its ready in around 2-3 weeks.
The motor plate & idler kit will be around £20 and will include all the items needed including the idler gear, bearings, idler post, fasteners and the carbon fibre motor plate.
Hope that helps :)
http://atomic-carbon.gforceimages.net/images/CR2SE1.jpg
http://atomic-carbon.gforceimages.net/images/CR2SE2.jpg
http://atomic-carbon.gforceimages.net/images/CR2SE3.jpg
DaSloth
19-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Coor that looks a bit nice! oh well, time to wait then i guess :)
carlin
19-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Will you be doing the car SE in black carbon too.
brookie
19-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Can confirm after seeing it up close and personal at the Petit on Saturday
Even better in the flesh!
Be patient and join the queue, it will be worth it!
OldTimer
19-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Will you be doing the car SE in black carbon too.
The CR2 SE is the same as the normal CR2's expect in the special red carbon fibre.
The XD shock towers are already available in the black carbon fibre and the motorplate & idler kit will be available soon in the black carbon fibre as well.
http://atomic-carbon.gforceimages.net/images/CR2SE4.jpg
http://atomic-carbon.gforceimages.net/images/CR2SE5.jpg
http://atomic-carbon.gforceimages.net/images/CR2SE6.jpg
Oops no e-clips on the rear brace lol.
nevens
20-01-2010, 06:43 AM
when you run the idler gear mod, there is no need to reverse the rotation. Keep an eye on the website for the new goodies soon:drool:
Ok, but it was more a theoritical question ;)
I guess nobody tried, afraid to burn an expensive speedo :D
V-Rossi
20-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Ok, but it was more a theoritical question ;)
I guess nobody tried, afraid to burn an expensive speedo :D
I know someone who tried, it works but the idler mod is preferred if you are running on low grip surfaces too. You do it by switching some of the sensor cable wires, and the ESC wires going to the motor.
If you want I can ask him how he did it, but I wouldn't advise it :)
nevens
20-01-2010, 08:18 AM
I know someone who tried, it works but the idler mod is preferred if you are running on low grip surfaces too. You do it by switching some of the sensor cable wires, and the ESC wires going to the motor.
If you want I can ask him how he did it, but I wouldn't advise it :)
Even if I'm likely to follow your advice, knowing how to do it is interesting. So yes you can ask the guy for explanation.
Thanks
Chris Doughty
20-01-2010, 09:17 AM
with sensored speedo's (such as the LRP Sphere or SXX) you can't just swap 2 of the phases over and reverse the motor rotation. the sensor expects the motor to rotate in the 'normal' direction and fires the phases accordingly
with sensorless speedo's I believe you can, or you can change the motor rotation in the software (but check first)
Body Paint
20-01-2010, 12:18 PM
The CR2 SE is the same as the normal CR2's expect in the special red carbon fibre.
The XD shock towers are already available in the black carbon fibre and the motorplate & idler kit will be available soon in the black carbon fibre as well.
http://atomic-carbon.gforceimages.net/images/CR2SE4.jpg
http://atomic-carbon.gforceimages.net/images/CR2SE5.jpg
http://atomic-carbon.gforceimages.net/images/CR2SE6.jpg
Oops no e-clips on the rear brace lol.
Now that is SEXY!!!
GRIFF55
20-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Should see it in the flesh mate, even sexier!!!!:thumbsup:
millzy
20-01-2010, 12:41 PM
you know what.
i think its the best losi based cars ive ever seen
DaSloth
20-01-2010, 01:00 PM
My XXX-Cr is on the way, just gotta wait for the cr2 to be ready!:thumbsup:
ashleyb4
20-01-2010, 01:40 PM
I think the one thing the CR2 desperatly needs is an under tray......
A
_sleigh_
20-01-2010, 01:44 PM
I think the one thing the CR2 desperatly needs is an under tray......
A
Why?
c0sie
20-01-2010, 02:00 PM
The CR2 SE is the same as the normal CR2's expect in the special red carbon fibre.
The XD shock towers are already available in the black carbon fibre and the motorplate & idler kit will be available soon in the black carbon fibre as well.
http://atomic-carbon.gforceimages.net/images/CR2SE4.jpg
http://atomic-carbon.gforceimages.net/images/CR2SE5.jpg
http://atomic-carbon.gforceimages.net/images/CR2SE6.jpg
Oops no e-clips on the rear brace lol.
:wub :blush: :cry: Ive made another Atomic Carbon mess in my pants :cry: :blush: :wub
ashleyb4
20-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Why?
I dont want to scratch the bottom of my chassis and the chassis protective stuff isnt really that good ive only ran mine once outdoor at oz and once outdoor at kiddy and the rest of the time its been run indoor at oz and my chassis if scratched.... Ive replaced that protective tape stuff 4 times now.
A
c0sie
20-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Shit me Ash, im glad you dont race tourers with their carbon chassis' scraping the ground :D
ashleyb4
20-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Im the guy that used to replace his CR chassi because it was scratched I think i had 5 CR chassis...
_sleigh_
20-01-2010, 02:11 PM
I dont want to scratch the bottom of my chassis and the chassis protective stuff isnt really that good ive only ran mine once outdoor at oz and once outdoor at kiddy and the rest of the time its been run indoor at oz and my chassis if scratched.... Ive replaced that protective tape stuff 4 times now.
A
Which chassis protector are you using?
c0sie
20-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Im the guy that used to replace his CR chassi because it was scratched I think i had 5 CR chassis...
<memo>Must try and find Ash a girlfriend.</memo>
ashleyb4
20-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Which chassis protector are you using?
Ry Mart racing one..
Cris I can do that myself...
Chris Doughty
20-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Ash.... here is a little tip...
use one chassis for 'racing' and keep one for 'best'
bolt your 'best' chassis on the car when its sitting on the shelf and put the racing one on the car when you want to do more than just look at it
you wont need 5 then, you could get away with just having 2 chassis
flipside
20-01-2010, 02:50 PM
An undertray gets scratched too.
ashleyb4
20-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Yea but the CR2 chassis is a bit more expensive than the CR ones lol. Is there any really think chassis protectors out there???
A
c0sie
20-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Sheet of lexan and a heat gun?
flipside
20-01-2010, 03:04 PM
What does only the main plate chassis cost for a CR2?
It's like people that leave the protective sheet on their mobile phones and other stuff with displays, ridiculous :-) You don't want it scratched cause then it's not nice anymore, so you rather have it look like crap all the time while using it, I don't get that :-) By the time you want to sell it, it's worthless anyway, with or without scratches.
Same for a chassis!
c0sie
20-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Same with cars and motorbikes.
Daren't use them cos the resale value goes down..lol..
ashleyb4
20-01-2010, 03:33 PM
What does only the main plate chassis cost for a CR2?
It's like people that leave the protective sheet on their mobile phones and other stuff with displays, ridiculous :-) You don't want it scratched cause then it's not nice anymore, so you rather have it look like crap all the time while using it, I don't get that :-) By the time you want to sell it, it's worthless anyway, with or without scratches.
Same for a chassis!
I dont sell any of my cars so i aint bothered about that. I just like to have my cars look nice. When they look nice I fell that there awsome so i drive them well....
A
Chris Doughty
20-01-2010, 03:45 PM
What does only the main plate chassis cost for a CR2?
It's like people that leave the protective sheet on their mobile phones and other stuff with displays, ridiculous :-) You don't want it scratched cause then it's not nice anymore, so you rather have it look like crap all the time while using it, I don't get that :-) By the time you want to sell it, it's worthless anyway, with or without scratches.
Same for a chassis!
+1 I agree 100%
Form Follows Function
flipside
20-01-2010, 03:46 PM
I dont sell any of my cars so i aint bothered about that. I just like to have my cars look nice. When they look nice I fell that there awsome so i drive them well....
A
Yes but does it look nice with an undertray? I think that's ugly as hell. Owned a fireblade and cougar2000 for years, and the undertray is always dirty, bent, scratched etc... You can't see the carbon fibre through it.
DaSloth
20-01-2010, 05:13 PM
does the new cr2 se come with the motor mount brace? :)
Danny McGee
20-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Ash.... here is a little tip...
use one chassis for 'racing' and keep one for 'best'
bolt your 'best' chassis on the car when its sitting on the shelf and put the racing one on the car when you want to do more than just look at it
you wont need 5 then, you could get away with just having 2 chassis
Or just man up and use one like EVERYONE else does :)
Two chassis never feel the same let alone 5.........
Crazy fool
Mini-JT
20-01-2010, 07:41 PM
....
carlin
23-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Do we have kind of ETA when the new kit will be available with the new upgrade etc?
Also is it best purchasing LHD or the RHD kit?
Only 4 weeks to my birthday keep hitting to the misses lol, saves me buying it ;)
c0sie
23-01-2010, 03:06 PM
keep hitting to the misses lol, saves me buying it ;)
I keep hitting the missus too...dont think she's gonna buy me a CR2 either :(
carlin
23-01-2010, 03:12 PM
I keep hitting the missus too...dont think she's gonna buy me a CR2 either :(
Ah bugger now i know why she aint giving me answer :p
I will try hinting this time :thumbsup:
c0sie
23-01-2010, 03:14 PM
lol :D
OldTimer
23-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Do we have kind of ETA when the new kit will be available with the new upgrade etc?
Also is it best purchasing LHD or the RHD kit?
Only 4 weeks to my birthday keep hitting to the misses lol, saves me buying it ;)
Around 2-3 weeks for the SE kit but could be quicker depending when parts arrive. With the SE kit you get the motor-plate & idler kit which means you can use a standard speedo controller :thumbsup: as well as the xd front towers all in red cf.
The kits will be available direct from Atomic-Carbon and also MK Racing, marc has already got it listed on the website (http://www.m-k-racing.com/product_info.php?products_id=7458&%3CosCsid%3E) for pre-order.
GRIFF55
23-01-2010, 06:16 PM
MMMMMMMMM, can't wait!!! Already started ordering new bling for it!!
DaSloth
23-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Around 2-3 weeks for the SE kit but could be quicker depending when parts arrive. With the SE kit you get the motor-plate & idler kit which means you can use a standard speedo controller :thumbsup: as well as the xd front towers all in red cf.
The kits will be available direct from Atomic-Carbon and also MK Racing, marc has already got it listed on the website (http://www.m-k-racing.com/product_info.php?products_id=7458&%3CosCsid%3E) for pre-order.
Jonathan, does it come with motor brace at all? Looks like its in the pics.
Thanks
OldTimer
23-01-2010, 07:49 PM
The CR2 SE kit does not come with the gearbox brace, but can be ordered as a optional part.
brookie
24-01-2010, 11:18 AM
MMMMMMMMM, can't wait!!! Already started ordering new bling for it!!
Yeah, us too!!! Chris is on Jonathan's list, Rudebits bits ready and waiting! Trishbits are in the spares box, Ghea Racing Bulkhead on the way and bodyshells should be in the country by now, watch out Keith, here they come!
nevens
24-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Yeah, us too!!! Chris is on Jonathan's list, Rudebits bits ready and waiting! Trishbits are in the spares box, Ghea Racing Bulkhead on the way and bodyshells should be in the country by now, watch out Keith, here they come!
What do you get from Trishbits? Where do you buy those?
strobe
24-01-2010, 09:10 PM
http://www.trishbits.com/
brookie
24-01-2010, 09:49 PM
What do you get from Trishbits? Where do you buy those?
Threaded Shock Collars and Thumbscrews!
_sleigh_
24-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Rudebits bits ready and waiting!
Shouldn't that be 'weighting'. :)
nevens
25-01-2010, 06:33 PM
http://www.trishbits.com/
Yep, that part I found but there's no purchase button :confused:
V-Rossi
25-01-2010, 06:38 PM
There is a contact button, mail him with your order :)
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.