PDA

View Full Version : First Time Out


TonyM
21-01-2010, 10:55 AM
I ran my X6 Squared for the first time at Formby on Sunday and was very pleased with its performance. One thing I did notice was that the front wheel was lifting on turning at the end of the straight, certainly more than my B4 would at the same speed. I have set up the car to match the settings in Ellis's Standard setup sheet and the weight (1750gr) balance is spot on 35/65. So, two questions:

Would fitting a sway bar at the rear help, i.e. is the front lifting perhaps a symptom of too much rear roll?
I have the graphite chassis - would fitting a plastic chassis provide a little more flex and help damp down the lift?
Is there any other obvious action I should consider?

Hulk
21-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Hi Tony,

I had this problem in the first few rounds at the Petit last weekend.

Running the sway bar would help with this. I also upped the shock oil in the rear from 30w to 35w and went from pink to red springs. Also moving the rear shocks to the middle hole on the wishbone helped a lot.

The problem i found using stafford's set up was the rear was far too soft and collapsed under acceleration causing the inside front wheel to lift. Doing what ive mentioned above cured this problem and the car was close to perfect. Lastly i added a liittle more weight in the front as i was lacking on power steering, this helped and also contributed to keeping the wheels from lifting.

Craig Collinson

KevLee
21-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Make sure the rear ride height isn't too low, if it is it can cause the problem you mention and you'll loose steering too.. You have to run the the rear of the car quite high compared to what you might think.

TonyM
21-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Craig/Kev – thanks for the useful input.
Regarding softness of the rear suspension I must say that I was surprised how soft the standard setup is.
I’m running Losi shocks as per the setup sheet with pink springs and 25 oil. I think my first step will be to up the oil to 30 and fit a sway bar, see how that goes at Bury this weekend. Then, if I still need more, I’ll try your other suggestions.
Regarding ride height, I have it set at 25mm front and rear as per the setup sheet. Is this what you have set yours at?

YoungChazz
21-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Just a general suggestion, Tony: One change at a time.

That's all. Hope you're having a blast!

Big E
21-01-2010, 04:30 PM
I'd say red spring would be good but also I pretty much always run 30wt now in the rear and up it to 35 at times. I believe we have new set up sheets going out soon??

Also there does seem to be a difference in some losi shocks, mine are very old and I seem to run a little lighter than others sometimes for the same feel??

Middle hole on the rear arm is good but the car doesn't land jumps so well like that.

And yeah a roll bar will of course help.

TonyM
21-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Thanks - picking up on Chazz's point I will take it steady on changes and move to 30 oil first.

Even though my setup is not perfect yet, as a relative beginner, I really appreciated the steady handling of the X6 in comparison to my B4.

Hulk
21-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Landing off jumps in the middle hole wont be much of an issue for most people, but for you jumping 50ft off every jump it probably will be! :woot: lol.

Chris Doughty
21-01-2010, 04:52 PM
with regard to "changing one thing at a time" I agree with that if you want to learn what these things do.

but if you just want a setup, do it all and then 'learn' from that point onwards

super__dan
21-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Defo don't be afraid to run 30wt oil in the rear, my shocks have always felt different to Ellis and have always run heavier oil usually 30wt. Also at the risk of just repeating above Kev is bang on about rideheight, with Tranny low I never run mine lower than driveshafts level, that should be about 25mm so you have that covered.

One last question is how much droop do you have, 1 run 2 limiters in the front but with the rod end only wound on until it hits a set of snips that I hold the shock shaft in the grove at the end of the thread. If you wind them on until they stop you'll have less droop.

Big E
21-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Landing off jumps in the middle hole wont be much of an issue for most people, but for you jumping 50ft off every jump it probably will be! :woot: lol.

ha ha :thumbsup:
That middle hole though really only works over here on indoor tracks or real flat tracks, anything else you want inner, I rarely go to middle for any track.

TonyM
21-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks again guys.

Regarding limiters I have put none in the front, but I do wind the shaft right in as I use a cloth and pliers to grip while I turn. I guess the end result will be similar?

MikePimlott
21-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Also there does seem to be a difference in some losi shocks, mine are very old and I seem to run a little lighter than others sometimes for the same feel??

Yeah I run 35WT in my rears and this feels the same as other peoples with 30WT in :confused:

panch
21-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Ellis / Chazz

Do you know when you expect to have the new setup sheets available and do you have one from the players that I could download please.

Have ran my x6sq at worksop twice now and its third outing will be there again at the winter finals next weekend.

Im currently running the 25 weight on pinks with red pistons although I do have a roll bar on and I have played with the front linkages etc to get a bit more steering.

Will be interesting to see how different your setup was from what mine is currently and give me the chance to experiment further :thumbsup:

cheers

Lee

matdodd
21-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Hi Tony
just to give you an idea heres the setup I ran there last Sunday, its not that far from what the lads have suggested.

Mat

TonyM
21-01-2010, 11:36 PM
Thanks Mat - interesting that you and a number of others use red springs on the rear. I'll have to order some and try them out.

Darren Boyle
22-01-2010, 12:19 AM
Thanks Mat - interesting that you and a number of others use red springs on the rear. I'll have to order some and try them out.
You'll be lucky Tony, red rear springs have been on back order with Horizon since the end of the summer mate......

TonyM
22-01-2010, 07:06 AM
OK thanks for the heads-up on the springs Darren. I'll leave the springs to the last item to tune and if I still need a change I could always try my AE shocks as I have a full set of springs for them.

TonyM
25-01-2010, 12:36 PM
A Quick update following the race at Bury yesterday.

I changed my oil to 30, fitted a sway bar, and added 26gr behind the servo. The car is now planted, no more wheel lifting.

I'm going to leave it like this now for the next few meetinsg and just get used to the different drive compared to the B4. By the final I'd learn't to let the car take a long sweeping bend at the end of a fast straight with power on right through - super feeling.

Still only got into the duffers final though, but I did win it. Onwards and upwards.

kitesurfer73
25-01-2010, 03:07 PM
A Quick update following the race at Bury yesterday.

I changed my oil to 30, fitted a sway bar, and added 26gr behind the servo. The car is now planted, no more wheel lifting.

I'm going to leave it like this now for the next few meetinsg and just get used to the different drive compared to the B4. By the final I'd learn't to let the car take a long sweeping bend at the end of a fast straight with power on right through - super feeling.

Still only got into the duffers final though, but I did win it. Onwards and upwards.
i was in that duffers final:D lol.Got tangled up on the first few laps and started getting into last 5-6 laps got last:o but not bad i've only been racing 5 months....
you got 30wt all round then?

I have 35wt front 30wt rear with pink springs....

Tom3012
25-01-2010, 03:17 PM
You'll be lucky Tony, red rear springs have been on back order with Horizon since the end of the summer mate......


Ive got about four pairs if you want to loan a set Tony ? :thumbsup:

TonyM
25-01-2010, 03:18 PM
I don't know how, but I managed to steer through the carnage.:bored:

I have same as you on oil 35/30 with black front and pink rear springs. I will try the red rear when I can get some. I've been racing for 7 months after getting a B4 for my 60th birthday in May, never raced before then, and although I'm rubbish I'm loving it.

i was in that duffers final:D lol.Got tangled up on the first few laps and started getting into last 5-6 laps got last:o but not bad i've only been racing 5 months....
you got 30wt all round then?

I have 35wt front 30wt rear with pink springs....

TonyM
25-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Thanks Tom - I'll be at Formby next Sunday, so if you are there I'll take you up on your offer.

Cheers Tony

Ive got about four pairs if you want to loan a set Tony ? :thumbsup:

kitesurfer73
25-01-2010, 08:06 PM
I don't know how, but I managed to steer through the carnage.:bored:

I have same as you on oil 35/30 with black front and pink rear springs. I will try the red rear when I can get some. I've been racing for 7 months after getting a B4 for my 60th birthday in May, never raced before then, and although I'm rubbish I'm loving it.


Is yours the one with the yellow shell?
if so i was in different final:D lol and you didnt like the table top did you, coz i was marshalling there......nice looking car you have there mate...

gerbil
25-01-2010, 08:12 PM
hi tony if tom aint there on sunday i ve got a set of red springs you can nick off me

TonyM
25-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Thanks Kev

hi tony if tom aint there on sunday i ve got a set of red springs you can nick off me

TonyM
25-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Mark, spot on - yellow X6>2. I see we both only managed 12 laps in the final. :blush: The problem I had with the table top was that on the first two heats I got on the podium last and was far left. This meant I couldn't even see the approach to the obstacle let alone know where I was on the up ramp. I was driving blind. Then when I did get into a better position I managed to start racking up better times, but I think the experience from the early heats got to me and made me a bit too jittery on the approach. As they say it's 90% confidence and 10% ability.

The good thing is that after the second time out with my car my best lap was only a second or so of the middle ranking drivers. I just need a bit more consistency.


Is yours the one with the yellow shell?
if so i was in different final:D lol and you didnt like the table top did you, coz i was marshalling there......nice looking car you have there mate...

TonyM
08-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Mat, I finally got the bits I needed (red springs etc.) to try your setup for Formby. I ran it yesterday and it was planted. There's not a thing I would want to change - many thanks.

Going to outdoors - Southport and similar - is there much you would change? Also, what weight are you adding (indoors and outdoors) and where?

Cheers in advance - Tony

Hi Tony
just to give you an idea heres the setup I ran there last Sunday, its not that far from what the lads have suggested.

Mat

matdodd
08-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Hi Tony, I'm glad to help

The running Ive done over the winter there Ive used that setup but with a longer wheel base and when its been damp/wet pink springs on the rear.
Schumacher green mini spikes on the front BB green mini spikes on the rear.
Weight wise I tend to run 120g behind the servo sometimes 90g and 140g under the speedo all the time.

If you need to know anything else just ask

Kopite
08-03-2010, 08:44 PM
If you need to know anything else just ask

I have a question, when do you want your ass kicked blue nose?

matdodd
08-03-2010, 08:47 PM
That wont happen, just ask Mr Yardy :p

TonyM
08-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks Mat

My weights are not disimilar, so good to get the confirmation. You've raised another interesting question regarding Schumacher front rather than Ballistic, any particular reason why not Ballistic all round?

Hi Tony, I'm glad to help

The running Ive done over the winter there Ive used that setup but with a longer wheel base and when its been damp/wet pink springs on the rear.
Schumacher green mini spikes on the front BB green mini spikes on the rear.
Weight wise I tend to run 120g behind the servo sometimes 90g and 140g under the speedo all the time.

If you need to know anything else just ask

matdodd
08-03-2010, 08:56 PM
As far as I 'm concerned you get a much better consistency and balance on the front with Schumacher's on as the grips generally good at Southport