PDA

View Full Version : Screws rounding.


dom-dogger
19-02-2010, 04:38 PM
When I was building my b44 I put possibly to much thread lock on the motor mount screw that holds it to the chassis and upper deck, I tried to undo them with a crap hex head and it rounded. So the question is how can I get it out?

Thanks Dommo

bodgit
19-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Either try a better hex or hold a soldering iron on the bolt head for a few seconds to soften the locktite then try again.

Bungleaio
19-02-2010, 04:45 PM
You could try using a metric driver that is slightly larger or the alternative is cut a groove with a dremel and use a flat blade screw driver to undo it.

sparrow.2
19-02-2010, 04:51 PM
YOu need to slot the head of the screw a dremel cutting disc so that you can undo the screw with a flat screwdriver. Once you've slotted the screws heat it up by holding a soldering iron on the head of the screw to kill the threadlock.

dom-dogger
19-02-2010, 04:59 PM
thanks guys I'll try this, how long will it take the soldering iron to soften the threadlock?

sparrow.2
19-02-2010, 05:09 PM
No more than 20-30 seconds or so. Watch out a little if there are plastic inserts in the aluminium. (like the bearing holders)

91notch5.0
20-02-2010, 02:26 AM
i did the same thing. whenever i took the car apart i never took the motor mount out lol

Big G
20-02-2010, 09:19 AM
if it's only 1 side you can remove the deck and mount and turn it out. I had that when I got mine 2nd hand and the remains of the hex driver were still in 1 of the screws.

warming the screw up also advisable first.

dom-dogger
20-02-2010, 11:24 AM
I dont need to take the car apart, but just reassurance for when i do that it will be OK