PDA

View Full Version : Home made TRF 201X


JensK
05-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Just started a new project.
The car is designed for 2wd indoor racing on carpet.
Maybe it will work on astroturf as well..time will show
Feedback would be nice

Piman
05-03-2010, 05:51 PM
I was thinking of having a go at something similar myself with my 501. Main concern is weight distribution.

The motor is to far forward in my opinion and I was thinking of bringing it back. Tamiya have a shorter belt that should work from one of their touring cars.

It will take som fabrication work with the chassis though.

James

simoncrabb
05-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Jolly interesting. I agree that the motor might have to be much further back, with a shorter belt. But then one would have to move the cells forward...

I think I'll just wait for a real one :-D

JensK
05-03-2010, 07:07 PM
I have already made an 2wd version of Kyosho ZX5FS, called FS2... the weight-distrubusion on that car is even more to the front, but the car is excellent to drive indoor on carpet...My only concern on that car is torque-twist during accerelation. It`s sometimes a little bit twitchy to drive.

This car should not have this problem...
But time will show if it`s an sucsess or not

rcjunky
05-03-2010, 07:59 PM
what are your plans for the front suspension? the stock 501 stuff probably only has less then 10 degrees of caster, most 2wd's have 25 or 30, so you'll probably need to do some swaping. Other then that good luck and have some fun during your build

mof
05-03-2010, 08:05 PM
what are your plans for the front suspension? the stock 501 stuff probably only has less then 10 degrees of caster, most 2wd's have 25 or 30, so you'll probably need to do some swaping.


The pictures seem to have Kyosho RB5 front suspension.

JensK
05-03-2010, 09:43 PM
The pictures seem to have Kyosho RB5 front suspension.

Thats quite correct.
I have used a complete RB5-SP front. I have used the same front on my FS2 with great sucsess..

Will build moore on the car during saturday..more pics to come

cheers

moleman
06-03-2010, 12:19 AM
Looks real nice Jens, and I can second that your earlier RB5/FS creation was a rocket!
As you said, should work real good on high traction surfaces,
but maybe needs some more weight at the back on slippery tracks.

Looking forward to some more pics on the project!

/Morgan

rcjunky
06-03-2010, 01:46 AM
I'll be looking forward to a vid to see how well it goes, I never reconized the front because well, we only race B4's and xxx's, and I race a mid motor xxx. Even if you need more rear weight that shouldn't be an isse, even most 4wd guys run a strip of weight on the battery strap.

JensK
06-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Looks real nice Jens, and I can second that your earlier RB5/FS creation was a rocket!
As you said, should work real good on high traction surfaces,
but maybe needs some more weight at the back on slippery tracks.

Looking forward to some more pics on the project!

/Morgan

Thanks Morgan

Here are some pictures of the car with electronics installed..
Added weight under esc and reciver so the chassie is now in balance.
Also added 40g between batteries......
more to come...............

Alex H
06-03-2010, 03:54 PM
A Kyosiya:thumbsup:

JensK
06-03-2010, 04:24 PM
A Kyosiya:thumbsup:

Exellent name :D

schmacher
06-03-2010, 05:10 PM
a tamiyo :D

jhammond
06-03-2010, 07:47 PM
DELETED

JensK
06-03-2010, 08:13 PM
more pictures..
It`s all coming together...Building shocks tomorrow

MRD
07-03-2010, 04:12 PM
I considered making one myself but with the Durga as a starting piont. Looks good :)

JensK
07-03-2010, 05:52 PM
More pictures...
One thing I have to change is the turnbuckle`s mounted from front ,-to center..the body wont fit with these on. Have to make a top deck in carbon fibre

bjcaldwe
07-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Great work.

grelland
07-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Looking good, Jens Kristian, Where do you source the carbon fibre, and what kind of tools do you use to machine it?

JensK
08-03-2010, 05:03 AM
Looking good, Jens Kristian, Where do you source the carbon fibre, and what kind of tools do you use to machine it?

3racing and fiberlyte has carbon fibre plates in different sizes and thickness...
http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/
http://os.3racing.hk/products_list.php?stype=ctp&catalog_key=58

To machine I just use my dremel and a lot of patience

veecee
08-03-2010, 06:11 AM
This is an awesome project Jens!!! Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts of this beast on the track. What sort of mods did you have to make to the 501X chassis plate to fit the RB5 front end?

Rebelrc
08-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Nice and different ...well done:thumbsup:
let us know how it performs

mof
08-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Jolly interesting. I agree that the motor might have to be much further back, with a shorter belt. But then one would have to move the cells forward...

I think I'll just wait for a real one :-D


It could also be done with a longer belt if one would flip the center bulkheads around so that the spur gear would be in front of the motor and the motor closer to the cells.

JensK
08-03-2010, 07:38 PM
More pictures.........

rcjunky
08-03-2010, 07:47 PM
now it just needs a 511x body, they look much better IMO, but other wise, looking good

trular
08-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Nice work jensk.. and I must agree with the above postby mof to flip the motor mount 180 degrees. but will the motor spinn the rigth way..?

annyhow :thumbsup:

DCM
08-03-2010, 10:13 PM
where the motor is, it has less effect, as it is all about affecting the chassis attitude. The only way to make the motor spin in the opposite directions, is by adding an idler gear in between the spur and pinion.

Rebelrc
09-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Or spin the whole motor ? clutch assembly around

B44&501xRacerEX
11-03-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm impressed. That is a nice project car you started.:thumbsup:

SHY
11-03-2010, 03:00 PM
3racing and fiberlyte has carbon fibre plates in different sizes and thickness...
http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/
http://os.3racing.hk/products_list.php?stype=ctp&catalog_key=58

To machine I just use my dremel and a lot of patience

Nice work as always JK!

You know that you can send a CAD or a drawing on mm paper to Fibre Lyte and have them cut it out for you? (quite cheap too!)

JensK
12-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Nice work as always JK!

You know that you can send a CAD or a drawing on mm paper to Fibre Lyte and have them cut it out for you? (quite cheap too!)

Thanks SHY:)

Wasn`t awere that they did that. Thanks for the tip ;)

SHY
12-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Thanks SHY:)

Wasn`t awere that they did that. Thanks for the tip ;)

They can even engrave your logo on it ;)

JensK
30-04-2010, 04:11 AM
Been testing the car quite a lot on my local track...and its all good.
The track has grass surface,high traction, but a little bumpy.
Tyres, minispike in the rear and 4-rib up front.
Lap times is far better with this car than my standardl 2wd.
It carries much more corner speed and jumps better. Tried tyres like minispike up front, but laptimes was slower due to the tyre is slowing the car down to much in corners. The car has more than enough steering with 4-rib, and its easier to push it hard

JensK
30-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Some new updates.
I`ve revised rear suspension arms because i want more weight over rear tires than i had. Also want to be able to drive a little tighter on smaller tracks, make the car more nimble. The wheelbase is now identical to B4.
Also new body on. I got a Bmax body from W.E.D that i didnt need since i have sold my Bmax...

Looking foreward to test the car now...

What do you guys think?

Fabs
30-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Just one little thing that annoys me... You can't call this a TRF 201X as the car already exists! It was the car that was used to make the Dyna Storm back in the 90s...

JensK
30-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Sort of agree with you there, but i "named" it 201X before Tamiya came out with the 201X...

Any suggestions on name?

edit:
Sorry, did you say tamiya had a car called 201X back in the 90`s ?? before dynastorm?

Thomas P
30-07-2010, 11:07 AM
211X :)?

JensK
30-07-2010, 11:16 AM
211X :)?

:thumbsup:

Fabs
30-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Yeah my bad lol.

cpatel529
07-08-2010, 05:27 AM
I really like this Tamiya/Kyosho hybrid. I like how the motor is positioned forward.

In terms of parts, are you using the stock Tamiy 511 chassis, rear end and spur gear adaptor/mount? Then you are bolding a Kyosho RB5 front end onto the chassis?

I run in the USA and we generally race on packed clay tracks. How does motor position forward and back affect traction?

Trying to see if there are any other 4wd platforms that could be a good starting base to build a custom 2wd buggy out of.

I was looking at the Associated B44 with a B4 front end but had some concerns with torque steer due to the driveshaft/motor orientation and that the motor may be too far forward.

Suggestions? Comments?

mof
07-08-2010, 05:59 AM
Sort of agree with you there, but i "named" it 201X before Tamiya came out with the 201X...

Any suggestions on name?

edit:
Sorry, did you say tamiya had a car called 201X back in the 90`s ?? before dynastorm?

You really should stop inventing names to your cars... now let's see... what happened to this, then:

I have already made an 2wd version of Kyosho ZX5FS, called FS2...

Yes, you guessed it. FS2 is out! Now it needs a new name too! :woot:

SHY
07-08-2010, 09:04 PM
I really like this Tamiya/Kyosho hybrid. I like how the motor is positioned forward.

In terms of parts, are you using the stock Tamiy 511 chassis, rear end and spur gear adaptor/mount? Then you are bolding a Kyosho RB5 front end onto the chassis?

I run in the USA and we generally race on packed clay tracks. How does motor position forward and back affect traction?

Trying to see if there are any other 4wd platforms that could be a good starting base to build a custom 2wd buggy out of.

I was looking at the Associated B44 with a B4 front end but had some concerns with torque steer due to the driveshaft/motor orientation and that the motor may be too far forward.

Suggestions? Comments?

Many drivers have done that mod, it's called the B42! And it looks awesome on high grip astro! (you do need high traction)

Can someone post the link to the page of the guy in Sweden who first did this?

fastinfastout
07-08-2010, 09:35 PM
your going to need a bucklet load of lead to make this conversion 'work' to get the ideal 35/65 weight ratio!

Foppa
07-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Dont remember who did the first one here in Sweden but heres a link to Lars Jonssons blog with some pics of a "B42"

Another guy Michael Nilsson placed his B42 in second place at the Swedish Nationals the past weekend

http://rc10b4.blogspot.com/2010/06/b42-mk2.html

http://rc10b4.blogspot.com/2008/10/rc10-b42.html

Ole K.
07-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Here is my B42 build:

http://rsb.se/arena/showthread.php?t=39428

JensK
08-08-2010, 05:42 AM
I really like this Tamiya/Kyosho hybrid. I like how the motor is positioned forward.

In terms of parts, are you using the stock Tamiy 511 chassis, rear end and spur gear adaptor/mount? Then you are bolding a Kyosho RB5 front end onto the chassis?

I run in the USA and we generally race on packed clay tracks. How does motor position forward and back affect traction?

Trying to see if there are any other 4wd platforms that could be a good starting base to build a custom 2wd buggy out of.

I was looking at the Associated B44 with a B4 front end but had some concerns with torque steer due to the driveshaft/motor orientation and that the motor may be too far forward.




Suggestions? Comments?

I just cut some of the front end of the stock 501 chassie, to fit the RB5 front, and of course to get the wheelbase right.
The other part i had to make is the front top plate, but that is an easy part to make.
The FS2 build was much more difficult.

Regarding torquesteer, yes i did notice that in my FS2 when racing indoor on carpet. thats why i made the tamiya conversion.

I have tested these cars on dirt tracks, and its no good.
Traditional 2wd are much better on that kind of surface.
I have not tested on blugroove or USA-style surfaces. Those tracks seem to have alot more grip than dirt tracks in norway, so there it could work.

The cars are awsome to drive indoor on carpet, also wery good on astro and gras.

cpatel529
08-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Thanks for all the info about the B42! Im sorry if I got the thread off topic. I am very interested to learn how the B42 has performed in the past on bluegroove/clay/USA style tracks. I love the idea of building a 1-off car and this seems like it would be a fun project.

Is there any difference between the B4 and B44 shocks? Are they the same lengths?

Chi

SHY
09-08-2010, 06:52 AM
Thanks for all the info about the B42! Im sorry if I got the thread off topic. I am very interested to learn how the B42 has performed in the past on bluegroove/clay/USA style tracks. I love the idea of building a 1-off car and this seems like it would be a fun project.

Is there any difference between the B4 and B44 shocks? Are they the same lengths?

Chi

The rear ones are equal, but the front ones are different. See an overview here:

http://www.ymr.no/bilder/Lars&SHY/Tech/TechNotes.pdf

Now we need to let JensK have his tread back! :D

Thomas P
09-08-2010, 11:02 AM
My old BJ2WE, this was the second car modified in Sweden.. (BJ4WE based one)

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o306/gabbax_74/BJ2WE/DSC_0140.jpg

cpatel529
09-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Im done. =)

Back to Tamiya conversion discussion.

Chi