View Full Version : Chassis Screw Holes
dibble34
07-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Hi All
On one of my xx4's some of the screw holes the belt cover screws go into are worn so don't tighten up properly. Is there a way of repairing them, eg put some loctite down the holes?
Thanks in advance
Dave
ashleyb4
07-06-2010, 10:09 PM
longer screws should do the trick..
A
dirtbat
08-06-2010, 02:58 AM
I had the exact same problem a few days ago, and wondered what to do.
I ended up running some blobs of cyano glue down the holes and then wicked in some accelerator and re-tapped the holes. So far so good. The screws are biting much better than before. In the future I might try epoxy or 2-part epoxy putty. I know you have to be careful with cyano and electrics so be aware if you try this method. Only time will tell if this repair has any staying power.
Danny McGee
08-06-2010, 11:38 AM
I had the exact same problem a few days ago, and wondered what to do.
I ended up running some blobs of cyano glue down the holes and then wicked in some accelerator and re-tapped the holes. So far so good. The screws are biting much better than before. In the future I might try epoxy or 2-part epoxy putty. I know you have to be careful with cyano and electrics so be aware if you try this method. Only time will tell if this repair has any staying power.
An old thing i used to do was, file a graphite part onto some paper or whatever. Then put some glue down the hole and fill with the graphite filings. Then either just screw it back together or re tap it.
Nowadays i just use a longer screw to start then i will probably go back to good ole glue :)
dibble34
08-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Cheers for the ideas guys, will give them a try
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.