PDA

View Full Version : zx5 fs2


Steve.T
27-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Has anyone got one? Is it any good?

z00m
28-06-2010, 12:23 PM
I am running the FS2 parts on my FS. Have been getting quicker with it and the car is very good when it is in the setup window for the given track. I am running without extra weight on the car with LiPo's so it is a good sign.

Last weekend I managed FTD in the 3rd final and the fastest I have been at that track. It was an Astro track and I ran a setup I found on pettitrc and tweaked it slightly for the bumps we have.

Very pleased so far.

mattb
28-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Has anyone got one? Is it any good?
ive upgraded mine to the fs2 mate and its awsome

Steve.T
28-06-2010, 04:28 PM
What parts do you need to upgrade?

mattb
28-06-2010, 04:41 PM
the only parts i can think of are the ally rear hubs but they are not a must oh and you could put some ally wheel hexs on and ceramic diff balls with the fs2 you get all the ally hinge pin holders with the kit and on mine ive also added the ally chassis brace

carlin
28-06-2010, 04:59 PM
the only parts i can think of are the ally rear hubs but they are not a must oh and you could put some ally wheel hexs on and ceramic diff balls with the fs2 you get all the ally hinge pin holders with the kit and on mine ive also added the ally chassis brace

Also you need the rear wishbones & drive shafts too

Gayo
28-06-2010, 05:18 PM
What parts do you need to upgrade?

I bought those parts to have the FS2 rear suspension (you need the alloy arms holders too) :

Middle Suspension Arm Set (KYOUM521)
Rear Hub Type-B Off -4.7 (RB5) (2) (KYOUM519)
Kyosho 65.5mm Universal Swing Shaft (2) (KYOUM522)

mattb
28-06-2010, 05:55 PM
if you converting a mk1 fs youl also need some more of the long ball cups for the rear camber links because when you run the longest link on the rear with the new wishbones you dont get much thread into the ball cups

mattb
28-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Also you need the rear wishbones & drive shafts tooi thought he was talking about upgrading an fs2 in which case he wouldent mate?

carlin
28-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Mmm thought he wanted asked what do i need to upgrade to the FS2 then he will need change rear over too

But it's people choices what they want to do.

I've got most ofthe parts now just waiting for rear drive shafts

z00m
28-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Converting FS to FS2 is only the body, chassis and rear springs. The FS already had the RB5 mid arm conversion and all the other stuff listed in the marketing material. There were no alloy rear uprights. It seems that the marketing material refers to the difference between an SP and an FS2.

InfernosOnly has some good photos of the FS2 http://www.infernosonly.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=KYO30079B&PhotoNumber=11

Gayo
29-06-2010, 07:55 AM
Converting FS to FS2 is only the body, chassis and rear springs. The FS already had the RB5 mid arm conversion and all the other stuff listed in the marketing material. There were no alloy rear uprights. It seems that the marketing material refers to the difference between an SP and an FS2.
Indeed the marketing lingo is a little confusing as it uses most of the sales pitch of the FS1. The car pictured seems also to be a prototype with parts mixed between the FS2 (springs, lexan cover, rear suspension) and FS1 (composite arm holders. However, rear arms are different, they are longer than the FS1, same as the RB5 SP, hubs are different, bones are longer and axles are shorter. You can see on pics that they don't use anymore a blue spacer under the hex... Or just check spare parts refs.:)

nobby
09-07-2010, 09:44 AM
i have just finished building both the zx-5 fs-2 and the rb-5 sp-2
my first kyosho builds since the first lazer.
i'am very impressed with the way they have gone together.
i'am running the fs-2 on Saturday in a northeast regional.
the track is all grass so does anyone have any good starting points?

i'll post on how things go.

njc11
09-07-2010, 10:44 AM
You have a PM ;)

mikeyscott
29-07-2010, 09:41 PM
So a new FS for circa £270 vs the FS2. What am I missing etc. Is there a night and day difference between the FS and FS2?

If I was to make the change it's got to be right.

ryanlownie
29-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Hey Mike, performance wise I don't think you will notice anything between the FS/FS2. I can only comment on the FS2 as I've recently built and raced one and it really is an excellent chassis, I'm dead impressed at how well it worked out of the box and I'm excited to see what it can do with further setup!

If I'm right about the FS/FS2 being so similar then it's safe to say you'll love the standard FS.

DanB4
30-07-2010, 02:08 PM
My FS1 is amazing and I don't want to change it (just yet), have run it at the last 5 off road rounds up here and TQ'd and won every A final on grass, it's such a nice car to drive.

Dan

mikeyscott
30-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Also looking at the FS1, but ideally want the sealed chassis as we race outdoors in winter

shanks
30-07-2010, 02:45 PM
If you want selaed chassis you can just cut a B44 undertray to fit - my pal MattB did exactly that with no problem :thumbsup:

mikeyscott
30-07-2010, 06:28 PM
What diff balls come with the FS / FS2 carbide I assume and any must do upgrades?

mattb
30-07-2010, 06:54 PM
What diff balls come with the FS / FS2 carbide I assume and any must do upgrades?no you get steel ones with the kit mate i built mine with the Edit ceramic ones they are about £8 a set from je spares an they last ages and are super smooth

mikeyscott
30-07-2010, 06:55 PM
no you get steel ones with the kit mate i built mine with the Edit ceramic ones they are about £8 a set from je spares an they last ages and are super smooth

Let e get this right £300 kit and no carbide balls???

Same size as Losi balls etc?

chatts#725
30-07-2010, 07:20 PM
carbide balls will be the last thing on your mind if you get one of these beauties mike, you will wonder why you ever spent all that time and money chasing set up on your cat, i promise.:thumbsup:

mikeyscott
30-07-2010, 07:26 PM
So to go FS2 or FS1 which can be had for £250?

chatts#725
30-07-2010, 07:36 PM
i went fs1, holes in chassis no problem, i used some nylon foam that we use on mx bikes under the batterys keeps everything clean, to be honest my fs in really new to me but what a difference from the cat, im not saying the cat is bad but i think maybe its a bit like marmite if you know what i mean, love or hate??. the fs1 is more than competetive, i was told to buy the rear adjustable wishbone hangers, i think they are 30 odd quid, makes adjusting the rear toe very easy tho. also the kit springs rear are quite stiff but other than that i have changed nothing, its great.

shanks
30-07-2010, 07:42 PM
So to go FS2 or FS1 which can be had for £250?

Come on stop messing about n just buy one

It's the future I've tasted it :thumbsup:

mikeyscott
30-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Come on stop messing about n just buy one

It's the future I've tasted it :thumbsup:

Planning on it!

chatts#725
30-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Come on stop messing about n just buy one

It's the future I've tasted it :thumbsup: true true!!!!! and as a bonus you become eligable to join the bury metro lazer fs club ha ha ha :lol::lol::lol:

shanks
30-07-2010, 08:02 PM
true true!!!!! and as a bonus you become eligable to join the bury metro lazer fs club ha ha ha :lol::lol::lol:

Not until law 36 n 37 roll off the Tongue :thumbsup:

mikeyscott
30-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Shame it's so far up north!

carlin
30-07-2010, 09:32 PM
:p Lol Mike i guess you cant make you mind up again

Either car you go for you wont be sorry, so much better to drive than the CAT too

Neil Skull
30-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Really the FS2 is a a very small upgrade on the FS1.
as the FS1 is quite a bit cheaper i would highly recommend going for one before they are all gone.

For the diff balls i have said before and i will say again.

Use the standard balls to begin, you have paid for them so why not use them?
They will be fine for ages ( i used them for 6 months) then when they get noisy just rebuild your diffs with Carbide balls ( i always use the kyosho ones as i know they work well), they dont wear the diff plates like ceramic balls do. I have never had to rebuild a diff on a car since i been doing this way for last 5 years.
I do rebuild occasionly but i dont have too ;)

but i do like to race on a budget :thumbsup:

Steve.T
31-07-2010, 09:18 AM
I raced at torch with Mike on Sunday last and had a chance to look at the fs2 in comparison to my fs1 and to honest apart from the chassis I really could not see the a difference. Maybe these new big bore shocks are worth upgrading to but the "new" fs2 doesn't seem much different than the old fs1 (not that this is a bad thing).

mof
01-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Could anyone post a pic of FS2 viewed from below?

ryanlownie
01-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Could anyone post a pic of FS2 viewed from below?

Imagine an FS chassis but with the battery holes filled in. Motor hole is still there.

mof
02-08-2010, 07:00 AM
Imagine an FS chassis but with the battery holes filled in. Motor hole is still there.

Well, haven't really seen an FS from below, either...

Mr. Red
02-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Can tell I am very very impressed with that car. Filmed all the finals in the Swedish nationals this weekend and watch the Lazer and Ultimas in them;)

My Tube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AshOFSweden

RogerM
03-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Really the FS2 is a a very small upgrade on the FS1.
as the FS1 is quite a bit cheaper i would highly recommend going for one before they are all gone.

For the diff balls i have said before and i will say again.

Use the standard balls to begin, you have paid for them so why not use them?
They will be fine for ages ( i used them for 6 months) then when they get noisy just rebuild your diffs with Carbide balls ( i always use the kyosho ones as i know they work well), they dont wear the diff plates like ceramic balls do. I have never had to rebuild a diff on a car since i been doing this way for last 5 years.
I do rebuild occasionly but i dont have too ;)

but i do like to race on a budget :thumbsup:

Nothing to add .... have you bought the FS/FS2 yet? If not stop wasting your own time and get and buy one.

It really is the only open box-build-race what the team use car out there as far as i can tell :)

FARLEY
07-08-2010, 06:23 PM
I have had my original zx-5 now for 3+ years and it has served me well over that time ,so iam looking to change very soon, fs2 is my first choice but how does it perform compared to a cat sx2 or a b44 which is £100.00 or so cheaper .I do have stick packs so if i do go for the fs2 or b44 will have to change over to saddle packs Just thinking will the extra cash make it better than the schumaker or associated ?

thanks

Farley:confused:

Neil Skull
07-08-2010, 08:37 PM
From ZX-5 to FS is like light and day its such a better balanced car.
And some of your spares will still be useable.

Its wrong me to comment on here about other cars.

RogerM
16-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Having driven all the cars listed I can say that they all work well and suit some people better than others (I for one never got on with the BJ4WE but find the B44 acceptable). My choice is the FS just because the balance, as Neil said, is superb. The FS doesn't punish like some of the others if you over cook it or get a dose of the 'red mist', just an easy car to push.

All those cars that you mention are going to mean you have to change front wheels (unless you already have a ZX5-SP ... I'm assuming not as you just said ZX5) but only the FS allows you to use your existing rear wheels, springs, (some) spares etc.

When you say the FS is £100 more than the other 2 I have to disagree, not seen many full spec CAT SX much under £300 and the lower spec cars are not comparable to the FS. The B44 is cheaper to buy but if you look at most of them there has been a fair chunk of money spent on "hop-ups" to deal with the lighter LiPo cells.

Nick runs his FS with next to no extra weight in and certainly no expensive 'Lipo tray' style weights, Ian Purnell runs his with just a little lead in the centre spine and now the season is over and it's experimentation time I will be trying to run the car without extra weight again too. Last year I was nearly there but not quite.

One of the advantages of the FS is the amazingly well sealed drive train, I have only rebuilt my diffs once this season and to be honest that was only because I cocked up and broke something so had to replace it!!! No RC car is zero maitanence but the FS is pretty damn close, try that with a CAT SX ;) !!!

I think the summary is try an FS, I think you will like it ... if you do buy one, build it as per the instructions or Nick, myself or several others will be only too happy to share set-up info if you prefer. Nothing else needs to be bought that doesn't come in the box, even teh kit springs are a good starting point!

DaSloth
16-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Nick runs his FS with next to no extra weight in and certainly no expensive 'Lipo tray' style weights, Ian Purnell runs his with just a little lead in the centre spine and now the season is over and it's experimentation time I will be trying to run the car without extra weight again too. Last year I was nearly there but not quite.



I'm curious having just got my FS going, how you you're managing to not need to run with extra weight? My car weighed in around 1510 without extra weight, so i was forced to add some down the spine of the car and some up front to get the BRCA weight limit.

njc11
16-08-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm curious having just got my FS going, how you you're managing to not need to run with extra weight? My car weighed in around 1510 without extra weight, so i was forced to add some down the spine of the car and some up front to get the BRCA weight limit.

Ian, I run with 60g inbetween the lipos... tried more and less and find 60g suits it

:thumbsup:

DaSloth
16-08-2010, 12:23 PM
I think i put 80-90 in to be safe. they must have some heavy electronics if they don't need weight :p

njc11
16-08-2010, 12:27 PM
I think i put 80-90 in to be safe. they must have some heavy electronics if they don't need weight :p

Well you must be runing the smallest / lightest speedo on the market.. the Tekin! So in comparision others speedos inc my orion will be lol!

Mr. Red
16-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Perhaps the best advertisement video ever for the Fs2;). This vid has been posted before but just look how well it handles high traction, very bumpy conditions without any additional weights at all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Gen7IkUso

mikeyscott
16-08-2010, 12:46 PM
That's not bumpy!

That's just jumps etc.

Mr. Red
16-08-2010, 12:56 PM
That's not bumpy!

That's just jumps etc.

Does not show really then, or are the cars that good you could ask yourself;).

It is bumpy, guaranteed. But I have also seen worse than that.