PDA

View Full Version : TRF201-2


sparrow.2
28-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Go on oldtimer, you know you want to :thumbsup:

Convert the rubbish Tamiya 2wd into something beautifully mid-motored!

Cooper
28-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Go on oldtimer, you know you want to :thumbsup:

Convert the rubbish Tamiya 2wd into something beautifully mid-motored!


Naah, he won't cause you've beaten them in football :p

OldTimer
28-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Go on oldtimer, you know you want to :thumbsup:

Convert the rubbish Tamiya 2wd into something beautifully mid-motored!

I already have a TRF201 kit ;) and was working on autocad most of yesterday :woot:

fastinfastout
28-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Go on oldtimer, you know you want to :thumbsup:

Convert the rubbish Tamiya 2wd into something beautifully mid-motored!
oh yeah, the standard tamiya 2wd is rubbish that its pretty much wrapped up titles in its first season.:rolleyes:

sparrow.2
28-06-2010, 05:56 PM
I already have a TRF201 kit ;) and was working on autocad most of yesterday :woot:

Yay!


oh yeah, the standard tamiya 2wd is so rubbish that its pretty much wrapped up titles in its first season.:rolleyes:


It is a thing of beauty and would make such a nice nice base for a mid-motor conversion. Not knocking its prowess at all.... Just exagerating a wee bit to make a point :)

flipside
28-06-2010, 11:14 PM
And I think a cougar is leading the national ranking for now?

The tamiya does look good, so with some carbon it would look even better :-)

GRIFF55
28-06-2010, 11:23 PM
The std 201x is an awesome car, but i think in mere mortals hands in the uk a mid motor one maybe be slightly better:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Roll on ac!!!!:thumbsup:

DaveG28
28-06-2010, 11:46 PM
The std 201x is an awesome car, but i think in mere mortals hands in the uk a mid motor one maybe be slightly better:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Roll on ac!!!!:thumbsup:

I'd Liebe ein bißchen über Tamiya Mittler- Motor 2wd :lol:

GRIFF55
29-06-2010, 12:09 AM
Du wissen, dass Sie einen Amish wünschen! keine spielenden Spiele hier:woot:

DaveG28
29-06-2010, 12:30 AM
Du wissen, dass Sie einen Amish wünschen! keine spielenden Spiele hier:woot:

Verdammen richtig , durchaus null beherzt spielend über beliebig Beschaffenheit oder auch Programmiersprache! Klunge!

Loving how the last word translated :thumbsup:

sparrow.2
29-06-2010, 06:40 AM
I'd Liebe ein bißchen über Tamiya Mittler- Motor 2wd :lol:

That just comes out totally wrong in german unless you really want to wipe down your Tamiya with a kleenex afterwards :woot:

DaveG28
29-06-2010, 07:08 AM
That just comes out totally wrong in german unless you really want to wipe down your Tamiya with a kleenex afterwards :woot:

:woot:

area52
29-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Klunge!

:thumbsup:

This really is a German language word? Must have missed something the last 33 years ... :lol:

dogpinkscot
29-06-2010, 07:41 PM
4-1 thats all i know in german.........enough said:thumbdown:

fastinfastout
23-08-2010, 02:01 PM
any updates?

tony12795
23-08-2010, 06:35 PM
YES....

matdodd
23-08-2010, 06:37 PM
:thumbsup:

Smartalec
23-08-2010, 08:13 PM
I have my donor car waiting Mr C :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Twister
25-08-2010, 01:00 PM
ohh i would love a regular carbonchassis for my trf 201:drool: you can do it Oldtimer:lol:

JustARcFan
25-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Not sure a carbon chassis is the way to go :confused:

The flex of the chassis is very important and makes the car more forgiving and easy to drive.

V-Rossi
25-08-2010, 02:26 PM
You simply don't say no to carbon fibre! Besides, Atomic Aluminium is rather gayish, while Atomic Plastic reminds me of a Barbie doll in Chernobyl.

JustARcFan
25-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Not taking your pills again? :p

V-Rossi
25-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Pills are for people who say no to carbon fibre :thumbsup:

Mr. Red
25-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Here is an idea for any nifty souls out there. Rear motor convert a Cougar:p

JustARcFan
25-08-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm more in to plastic :lol:

OldTimer
25-08-2010, 05:24 PM
I guess your all on about the 201GTO ;) photo attached its missing some parts but it gives you the jist of the car. The proto is now complete with electrics etc, ready to test.

jayst
25-08-2010, 05:43 PM
mmmmm looks tasty :thumbsup:

paul01ews
25-08-2010, 05:47 PM
As always very nice Jonathan.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

bert digler
25-08-2010, 06:10 PM
As always very nice Jonathan.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

looks the bollox john:thumbsup:

natan
31-08-2010, 08:11 AM
good job jonathan :thumbsup:

dbizzle5
01-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Will this be a production car as I want one!:thumbsup:

GRIFF55
01-09-2010, 01:12 PM
OOOOOOh its a sexy bit of kit in the flesh!!:thumbsup:
good job again JC!

OldTimer
02-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Will this be a production car as I want one!:thumbsup:

Need to see how the car goes in testing first, its on its way to the Welsh Stig at the moment :lol: so hopefully will have its 1st run in the next few weeks.

DaveG28
02-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Need to see how the car goes in testing first, its on its way to the Welsh Stig at the moment :lol: so hopefully will have its 1st run in the next few weeks.

You mean the welsh Rheinard :lol:

GRIFF55
02-09-2010, 04:38 PM
you at the f2's old bean? Might pop along and show some .......support!!:lol:

Body Paint
02-09-2010, 07:14 PM
you coming up to the F2's not to race ..... again :lol:

Stu
02-09-2010, 08:33 PM
You mean the welsh Rheinard :lol:

Or the welsh Richard Saxton?

MikePimlott
07-09-2010, 10:45 AM
How did this go? Did you run it at weekend Griff?

GRIFF55
07-09-2010, 12:53 PM
I have run a pack through the car at home, and am very impressed. Loads of steering and rear end grip. First race this weekend and i'll let you know how it goes. Looks damn sexy all the same!!!:thumbsup:

David Church
22-09-2010, 06:39 PM
I have run a pack through the car at home, and am very impressed. Loads of steering and rear end grip. First race this weekend and i'll let you know how it goes. Looks damn sexy all the same!!!:thumbsup:

How did you get on maaaaaaa

fastinfastout
09-10-2010, 10:51 AM
any updates on the tamiya mid mount?

Reo
10-10-2010, 08:05 PM
yes? want to know how it went to! is it stock gearbox in the picture? looks diffrent?!?! want a kit if it works out.

GRIFF55
13-10-2010, 08:41 PM
I've not been racing/testing alot guys, but i will let you know how it goes when i use it more. The gearbox is amde by ac, and a very nice bit of kit it is too. Just trying to find a harder front spring of something that will fit tamiya. (similar weight to a losi black)

dbizzle5
13-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Associated springs fit dont they? Ive got blues on the front of my 201.

GRIFF55
13-10-2010, 09:36 PM
tried blues, but feel it needs something slightly stiffer. Thanks for the input:thumbsup:

Smartalec
17-10-2010, 05:27 AM
Ran my 201GTO at Taplow on Friday, initial test was excellent and the car was very good straight away. Didn't have a lot of time to do much in the way of set up changes I just wanted to give it a run to make sure everything was running ok for Stotfold (today). Car had loads of turn in but had slight under steer in the mid corner and the exit, this is something i'll be working on at Stotfold today to cure.

I'll post some pictures tonight after racing along with a set up and how the car feels on the Stotfold jumps/bumps. I think this will be a good test of the car :thumbsup:

David Church
17-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Ran my 201GTO at Taplow on Friday, initial test was excellent and the car was very good straight away. Didn't have a lot of time to do much in the way of set up changes I just wanted to give it a run to make sure everything was running ok for Stotfold (today). Car had loads of turn in but had slight under steer in the mid corner and the exit, this is something i'll be working on at Stotfold today to cure.

I'll post some pictures tonight after racing along with a set up and how the car feels on the Stotfold jumps/bumps. I think this will be a good test of the car :thumbsup:

How did you get on today???:thumbsup:

Smartalec
17-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Well happy with the car today at Stotfold, 7th in round one, which was good considering I only had two pairs of front rims and they both had yellows on in the greasy conditions.

Round two and I tried the front caster blocks in the rearward position for more steering, unfortunately on full lock the wheels bind on the wishbone so that was a wasted run.

Round three and with yellows all round I had the rear too soft and it was too edgy and had some grip roll problems but still managed 8th in round. Round four was much better, yellows all round, harder on the oil in the back and lower and a 12 lapper.

Round by round put me ninth on the grid but with 4 people above me not posting a twelve lapper all day I thought that should put me in a good position for the final.

Wheelie off the line (grip came right up) and up into seventh, then sixth, a few laps at the same position but catching the pack and a run to the line with the two cars in front finishing a few tenths ahead to finish 4th overall. A good result with the car getting better all day and responding to all the changes.

In the damp: (rear) 20wt losi oil, 1.4mm piston, yellow spring, inside hole on wishbone, 3rd hole in on tower. 1 degree alloy hubs with middle camber link position and middle/inner on tower. 3 degree alloy block upside down to give a total of 4 degrees of toe in.

(front) 30wt losi oil, 1.3mm piston, blue spring, inside hole on wishbone, second hole in on tower. Inner camber link position on caster block, middle/middle on tower. Caster block on rear position.

In the dry: (rear) 30wt losi oil only change.

(front) 35wt losi oil, caster block on middle position only change.

Car is excellent everywhere, particularly over the Stotfold bumps and jumps, would probably benefit on the sweepers/in the air from a front wing so i'll try that next time. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mr. Red
18-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Any pics of it?

Smartalec
18-10-2010, 11:45 AM
I'll post some up later :thumbsup:

Smartalec
18-10-2010, 12:56 PM
This is exactly as the car came off the track at Stotfold yesterday :thumbsup:

Smartalec
18-10-2010, 01:36 PM
One thing I forgot to mention on the setup above was the Rudebits under servo weight ........ don't leave home without your Rudebits :thumbsup:

Reo
18-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Nice! do you have a other car to compare the feeling \ lap times with? x6, cr2 original 201 ? what car did you race with before?

GRIFF55
18-10-2010, 06:57 PM
my fastest lap with it was quicker than my std 201 and the same as my cr2 on its first outing. The only difference being, i was more consistent with the cr2. A few setup fiddles and i think it will be equally as good if not better than the cr2.

Smartalec
18-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Nice! do you have a other car to compare the feeling \ lap times with? x6, cr2 original 201 ? what car did you race with before?

I ran the cr2 all last year and i loved it, but because i'm running the 511 I wanted to try this as it makes sense to use the same spares/shocks etc. I think using this car throughout the winter i'll be able to set it up just the way I want to get the best out of it. After this first meeting i'm really pleased with the car and i'm sure i'll be quicker with it than with the CR2.

Rich D
18-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Be interested to see this at the Players Alec :)

Is the converson available yet or are yours and Griffs cars test beds ?

Smartalec
18-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Be interested to see this at the Players Alec :)

Is the converson available yet or are yours and Griffs cars test beds ?
Yes, just prototypes at the minute but i'm sure Mr C will release it as soon as he's happy with it :thumbsup:

Pablo668
19-10-2010, 05:47 AM
This is the 2wd race buggy that Tamiya should have made.

Smartalec
19-10-2010, 05:58 AM
This is the 2wd race buggy that Tamiya should have made.
You could be right there :thumbsup:

Reo
19-10-2010, 01:40 PM
it looks like i`m the only one with trf201 in Norway this season..2010 \ 2011. others drive schumi, ass, kyosho, losi and team c\ansmann. interresting! hehe, we have soon converted or build new track with astro. so it will be fast and high grip all over next outdoor season.

Reo
19-10-2010, 07:16 PM
the gearbox.. is it 4 gears? so no need for revers rotation in esc?

Northy
19-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Yes :thumbsup:

Reo
21-10-2010, 07:02 PM
enny idea what the price will be for the kit?

OldTimer
21-10-2010, 07:06 PM
I don't have a final price yet but it looks like it will be in the region of £230-£250, the main difference in price between the 201GTO kit and the CR2, is the 4 gear gearbox casing and a lot of additional machined brass parts for the 201 GTO, which the CR2 does not have.

Mr. Red
25-10-2010, 07:58 PM
You can sign me up for one kit Jonathan;).

Smartalec
26-10-2010, 05:20 AM
Anyone that's at Ardent on Sunday come and have a close up look at mine and feel free to have a go if there's time (if you use steerwheel). :thumbsup:

mattybucks
26-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Anyone that's at Ardent on Sunday come and have a close up look at mine and feel free to have a go if there's time (if you use steerwheel). :thumbsup:

Mate I can't wait. Make sure you have that 2.5 in it.:p

Pedros20
01-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Anyone that's at Ardent on Sunday come and have a close up look at mine and feel free to have a go if there's time (if you use steerwheel). :thumbsup:

Hi Alec
Just wondered how the 201-2 went yesterday & how it felt compared to the standard 201, ie steering, traction, jumping etc.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Smartalec
01-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Hi Pete, the car was fantastic, I unfortunately wasn't, I had "one of those days" :lol:

I finally got my act together in the finals and started to put in the lap times that I should have been doing all day but there you go, sometimes it all goes pear shaped :cry:

The steering on the car is excellent, I ended up with two rows off the outside and one off the inside on the front yellow minipins with the shocks on the middle position on the wishbone (35wt losi oil, blue spring), wishbones level. I initially had the car too high as I was worried about the car not going over the mats section and the handling was a bit edgy but lowering the car helped loads and made the car very easy to drive and I shouldn't have worried about the mats as the car ran over the bumpy mats perfectly.

With 4 degrees of toe-in the car comes out of corners like a banshee on crack so there's no problem at all with traction, the next time I run it i'm going to try 3 degrees and see how it affects the steering/traction, so i'll let you know how that goes.

The double section on the track was extremely easy to do with the car as it flies perfectly. As I haven't got a 201 standard car now to play with I can't compare the two but i've got the car to the point now (handling wise) that it's better than my old CR2.

Shocks on the back were inside on the wishbone (30wt losi oil, yellow spring), driveshafts level.

Because of the weight of the gearbox this car doesn't need any extra weight at the back, I just run the Rudebits under servo weight at the moment. I'll obviously try more weight to see if I can improve the car but quite honestly, I think it will be better the way it is at the moment.

I can't recommend the car enough, it's excellent and I can't wait to start the nationals next year. :)

Pedros20
01-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Hi Alec.
Thanks for the quick reply.
What you've just told me is music to my ears, finding the standard car a little bit dead on the front especially on low traction tracks.
Any idea when the kit will be ready for sale?

Smartalec
01-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Hi Alec.
Thanks for the quick reply.
What you've just told me is music to my ears, finding the standard car a little bit dead on the front especially on low traction tracks.
Any idea when the kit will be ready for sale?
Send a little PM to Jonathan and he'll give you an idea of when he can supply you with the finished conversion :)

sime46
01-11-2010, 06:52 PM
finding the standard car a little bit dead on the front especially on low traction tracks.
REALLY? Where?:cry:

GRIFF55
01-11-2010, 10:40 PM
I ran my 201 gto on sunday too and in the beginning it didnt have masses of steering. But after a few little changes it was a steering monster, having to be corrected by opposite lock!! woo hoo! It jumps beautifully and gets the power down very well, running 3 deg toe in!
I'm running 35wt all round, shocks on inner lower front, middle rear. Ae blue front springs and grey rear. 20g of weight up front is all i am running and a front wing.
I put the std front tower on after two runs and strangely found the front to be more twitchy. Maybe it flexes more than the carbon.
I guess our setupa are a bi different Alec:lol:

A couple of guys had a few laps with it too, i'd be interested in their feedback:thumbsup:

GRIFF55
12-11-2010, 05:03 PM
What do you think JC??
Another excelent job done by kiffo!
http://www.kifopaint.co.uk/modules/gallery/albums/Kifo_Paintwork/img/101112100551_dscn4450.jpg (javascript:self.window.close();)

Pedros20
13-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Nice shell Griff!
Be nice to see some pictures of it mounted mate.
I'll get a picture up of my shell I've had done for mine.
Looks mint!

OldTimer
13-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Get it on the car :thumbsup:

Smartalec
27-11-2010, 08:21 AM
I've been running the 201GTO at least twice a week and can report that it's excellent on all surfaces. Raced at Taplow last night on a tight and twisty track and the car turns in fantastic but is not snatchy. Yanos who runs the club had a go at the end and within a couple of laps was lapping more consistently and faster than with his own car, he loved it and will be calling Mr C very soon :thumbsup:

I'll post on here how the car goes at Ardent tomorrow :D

David Church
27-11-2010, 08:46 AM
I ran my GTO for the first time last night at Taplow. I must say I am very impressed!!! The car is a joy to drive, it handles great and jumps even better!!!
A HUGE THANKS to JC for another amazing car!!! I am very happy to be back on the AC team:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

JensK
26-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Hi guys.
Any pics of "production model" and when is it going to be availible?

Junior Z
26-12-2010, 08:49 PM
It's only a matter of days ...
A first batch is coming ...

MrWolf808
09-01-2011, 04:57 AM
right i have too have a 201 gto conversion kit :drool:, i run a 201 at taplow, and at the moment Janos is just way too big headed about his :rolleyes:. but damn it the car looks stable and well planted, i love my stock 201 and if you check the results from the website, when they go up. my B final win would have taken him in the A. so do we have a release date and a time frame yet?