View Full Version : Whats needed for 1/18th racing!!!! HELP!
gazhillAE
09-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Hi guys!
Right i think im going to be going for a LRP Shark unless theres anything else out there better????? :blush:
Not sure what it needs over and above what the 1/10th buggys run???
Whats the best speedo, motor, quickest servo and best lipos to go for.
Is there anything else i need to know???
Wheres the best place to buy all the equipment from as i cant find any places hardly who supply the gear!
Thanks chaps
Scouser
09-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Hey Gaz, batteries wise, DMS or RC Model Imports for the Vampire lipos or ebay for the Intellect ones. Both of those are hard cased for racing at Southport/ Formby.
Speedo wise, alot of people are running 1:10 brushless speedos with micro motors. You can get dedicated 1:18/ 1:16 brushless systems and of those the Novak Mongoose, EZrun and Tekin are all pretty popular. Motors tend to be the 6100kv or 6900kv or the 10.5 for the Novak.
If you get the Shark, I believe you can run a 1:10 servo in them so the choice is yours but I think you have to cut the tabs off the servo to fit them in. Micro servos that seem popular are the Hitec, Futaba and Savox. The best place for your gear depends on what you buy but if you do get a shark then parts for them are quite widely available. If you have a quick mooch around UK Micro RC forum, there is tons of good info.:thumbsup:
Good to see another micro for the winter mate.
Cheers, Jon.:)
c0sie
09-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Hi guys!
Right i think im going to be going for a LRP Shark unless theres anything else out there better????? :blush:
Not sure what it needs over and above what the 1/10th buggys run???
Whats the best speedo, motor, quickest servo and best lipos to go for.
Is there anything else i need to know???
Wheres the best place to buy all the equipment from as i cant find any places hardly who supply the gear!
Thanks chaps
Hi Gaz,
If you can wait a month or so then hold off for the new Carisma GT14B once CML Distribution are able to get stock on.
Phil Sleigh won the UKMicroX event in August with a GT14B and the car is a beautiful bit of kit, very similar in layout to the Associated B44!
If you want to run sensored then the only motor available is the Novak Mongoose Three-80 motors. Most common choice at Nationals is the 10.5 version.
As for "best ESC", well that depends on your budget. I run an LRP SXX TC in my car which I paid £230 for! Overkill? Yeah probably, especially when the likes of Craig Harris managed to TQ last years Tamworth National with an 18A EZ-Run system that he bought off eBay for £40!!
Alot of guys are going back to the sensorless systems and they seem more than capable nowadays. Carisma are releasing a ESC/motor combo soon enough, and the EZ-Run systems are very popular.
The Mongoose sensored systems are good though with the likes of Wes Myles, Keith Robertson and Steve Davis all using them to good effect in Micro National A-finals.
Servos - Savox servos are popular now, the bigger the better really. I dont think TrakTech are stocking the Ino-Lab servos anymore which is a shame as they were the "must have" item on the circuit.
Cells - again personal preference. If you are running at a club with a silly hard-cased only rule then hard cased it is! If not then TrakTech do a really ood 1600mAh pack :)
Hope that helps a little?
sticky
09-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Pop over to Ellesmere Port Off Roaders on Friday night and see how the different gear performs. Only 50 minutes from Manchester: -)
PaulRotheram
09-09-2010, 07:03 PM
lots of very good advice in this thread:
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53052
got my LRP shark today, waiting on my Ezrun system tomorrow and then cells are my last problem, the hardcase rule srcc have is causing me abit of a problem as i'm having to source equipment from HK, will eventually get it sorted though!
gerbil
09-09-2010, 07:05 PM
gaz if you get the carisma you only be able torun cells cos a saddle hardcase pack isnt made as of yet sharks the best bet
im using the lrp sphere with novak 10.5 motor
lrp lipos hardcased
hitec servo and two fans as it gets hot hot hot:woot:
Body Paint
09-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Or you could make a case for them ;) It's only a few bits of plastic at the end of the day.
The Intellect 1600 hardcase seem pretty good though a little expensive at £30+ these are the same or similar to the Vampire ones. I have seen them on ebay for half that price.
eZrun all the way for me, get the 25A one and you can run pretty much any sensorless micro motor on it.
I am testing some new 28mm dia. motors this week so watch out for a report soon.:thumbsup:
Darren Boyle
09-09-2010, 11:19 PM
The Vampire hard case micro stick packs are 1800mah/30C which is higher capacity than the stock Intellect packs and are available for just a smidge under £30 from some dealers too....
Jonesy
09-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Gaz, finally got a msg to you on Facebook fella, sorry for the delay!!
I'm also using the EzRun 25A system with Speed Passion 6900Kv motor, finished 3rd at the UK Micro X with this system. All of the other above advice is sound
You have until 23rd September to get your entry in for Round 1 of the National Series at Broughton, get it done :thumbsup:
TonyM
10-09-2010, 12:12 AM
Gaz I bought a Shark Monster Truck from JE Spares. I've fitted a Mongoose 10.5T with an SXX Competition ESC and Imo Labs Servo (from EMS Racing). The SC chassis, Frogger towers and 3 Racing big bore shocks I bought from rcmodelimport.
Checa
10-09-2010, 05:43 PM
I stock Ino lab servos an loads of other stuff:thumbsup:
gazhillAE
11-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Guys
Thanks for the advice!
Going to go for the following-
Lrp shark-£180ish who's best to buy from
Vendetta sc lwb conversion around £50
-Inc Shell, chassis, wing, battery cover and what ever else
Speed passion emotion speedo and 6900 motor
IMO lab servo-£50
Nosram 1800 25c lipo hard packs x2
Amb
Ko receiver
I've been told I need some alloy wheel adaptors to run touring car wheels any ideas which ones?
Also will Schumacher touring car wheels fit easy job then
Tyre wise it looks like yellow mini pins are the tyres to run from the touring cars???
What size wheels width and diameter????
Also what upgrades does this shark need as in shock mounts and I've heard some big bores?????
Any setup sheets for the shark anywhere????
Gearing wise what spurs and pinions????
Is this sc chassis conversion a straight fit????
Instructions included???
Thanks gaz
gazhillAE
11-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Question re speedos and motors !!
If I went for a nosram tc or speed passion gt v2.0 like are used in 1/10th would that work ok and probably better???
Will the size of motors which are used in 1/10th work and fit???
As in a speed passion 8.5-9.5-10.5 ?
Or nosram pearl octa 8.5-9.5-10.5 ?
These will be sensored.
Let me know asap
PaulRotheram
11-09-2010, 02:36 PM
10th sized motors wont fit, maximum size to go in there is a 380 size can, 10th are 540!
PaulRotheram
11-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Just to add.. the only sensored motor people use is the novak mongoose 10.5, pretty much the only option!
gazhillAE
11-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Yo Paul!
Yeah sorry mate I'm thick!!!
I should know that!
Right change of plan I think!
A speed passion or nosram 10th speedo prob the speed passion like I run in others to adjust anything I need to.
And a 8.5 and 10.5 Novak
That should be the best I can come up with???
PaulRotheram
11-09-2010, 03:44 PM
To be fair mate its all pretty even, last night at EPOR I ran a 18t ( which is classed as a slower motor) against kev and jonesy who were running quicker motors and wasnt far off when i put my foot down.
Anything youl get will be decent, im chuffed to bits with the EZrun system, no cogging, very small, efficient, lots of grunt and best of all VERY cheap!
Jonesy
11-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Guys
Thanks for the advice!
Going to go for the following-
Lrp shark-£180ish who's best to buy from
Not sure on this one
Vendetta sc lwb conversion around £50
-Inc Shell, chassis, wing, battery cover and what ever else
Get this from RC Model Imports
Speed passion emotion speedo and 6900 motor
IMO lab servo-£50
I run the SP 6900KV motor with Ez Run Speedo
Nosram 1800 25c lipo hard packs x2
Will be good
Amb
Ko receiver
I've been told I need some alloy wheel adaptors to run touring car wheels any ideas which ones?
Also will Schumacher touring car wheels fit easy job then
Schumacher Wheels fit perfect as it's hex drive
Tyre wise it looks like yellow mini pins are the tyres to run from the touring cars???
Either those or Rally Blocks
What size wheels width and diameter????
Mini-Pins go on 20mm Fronts and 24/25mm Rears
Also what upgrades does this shark need as in shock mounts and I've heard some big bores?????
See Frogger on here or UK Micro RC
Any setup sheets for the shark anywhere????
When you get the car mate give me a shout. My Shark set-up from UK MicroX is on UK Micro RC
Gearing wise what spurs and pinions????
With SP 6900KV motor I run 10/45, fit a fan as the motor will get hot - you're more a throttle jammer than me!! lol
Is this sc chassis conversion a straight fit????
Yes mate, fairly easy
Instructions included???
You won't need them!!
Thanks gaz
ALSO, get booked in for the 1st National, it's 3 weeks away but you have 10 days to enter, same to Paul Rotheram!
Jonesy
11-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Last point, you will not need an 8.5 Novak, way way way too quick!
matdodd
13-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Jonesy did you put me in for the first one?
Jonesy
13-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Jonesy did you put me in for the first one?
Just sent you a text dood
matdodd
13-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks Mate
Checa
14-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Last point, you will not need an 8.5 Novak, way way way too quick!
8.5 is awesome :thumbsup:
danmurphy
16-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Last point, you will not need an 8.5 Novak, way way way too quick!
EPOR doesn't have much of a straight. I was quick with the 13.5 mongoose. Only recently started using the 10.5 there, probably because jonesy was beating me!
:woot:
Jonesy
16-09-2010, 01:21 PM
EPOR doesn't have much of a straight. I was quick with the 13.5 mongoose. Only recently started using the 10.5 there, probably because jonesy was beating me!
:woot:
You need to move to Sensorless mate! So much smoother! :thumbsup:
rondoolaa
18-09-2010, 08:17 PM
i bought a novak mongoose 8.5 sealed on ebay for 46 pounds, its for use in my shark sc, i run a 3vcs handset, can i slow down my 8.5 via the handset so its the same speed as the 10.5
mrspeedy
18-09-2010, 09:53 PM
You can if you have end-point adjustment, just turn it down until it feels how you want it too :thumbsup:
rondoolaa
21-09-2010, 10:33 PM
will do, thanks mrspeedy
danmurphy
22-09-2010, 08:18 PM
You need to move to Sensorless mate! So much smoother! :thumbsup:
How can they be smoother? I may have to invest in one to find out what I'm missing!
Andy is yours a SPE11MS69 BL Motor for 1-18 - 6900kv ?
Where did you get your 2mm 10T pinion for the shark?
sticky
22-09-2010, 08:36 PM
How can they be smoother? I may have to invest in one to find out what I'm missing!
Andy is yours a SPE11MS69 BL Motor for 1-18 - 6900kv ?
Where did you get your 2mm 10T pinion for the shark?
Is that the same motor that Andy cooked a couple of weeks ago :p
Jonesy
22-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Is that the same motor that Andy cooked a couple of weeks ago :p
Alright I've got 3 of them, I forgot to put a fan on it, leave me alone!
Dan, yes it is mate. In terms of the pinion I'm sure I got it from Steve Webb's in Frodsham :thumbsup:
craig.w
27-09-2010, 11:19 AM
If you look on ebay i've got a Ftx Blaze 1/18 brushless
with lipo and intellect 1400 mah(just as quick as the lipo)
my name on ebay is allsorts459 .Its at £59.99 and i think there are 15 watchers with 1 or 2 days left.If you live in yorkshire your welcome to come have a look.Its almost identical to the lrp shark,i upgraded loads of bits(alloy).Next thing the local club in Earlseaton which was having weekly 1/18 or fortnighly shut and i was gutted .So if you want to have a look i think mine is the only one on unless one has been listed since last night.Anyway if you like it ring me 01274 872206,we can sell out of ebay and save buyer,seller fees......Look forward to hearing from you ..Craig
gazhillAE
27-09-2010, 06:55 PM
How can they be smoother? I may have to invest in one to find out what I'm missing!
Andy is yours a SPE11MS69 BL Motor for 1-18 - 6900kv ?
Where did you get your 2mm 10T pinion for the shark?
Ditto!
I have drove your car jonesy and my own and mine is way smoother!!!!
Big up the Sensors!!!!!
:thumbsup:
gerbil
27-09-2010, 07:09 PM
well after completly cooking the insides of my mongoose motor
ive moved to senserless ezruns and being completly honest felt just as smooth when i got my transmitter sorted ha ha
so im staying with senserless
metalmickey0
27-09-2010, 07:26 PM
What is the `hard case `rule i`ve been reading abuot.:confused: Sounds rubbish to me. Rather see my lipos expand than have them suddenly explode with the pressure
Jonesy
27-09-2010, 08:34 PM
What is the `hard case `rule i`ve been reading abuot.:confused: Sounds rubbish to me. Rather see my lipos expand than have them suddenly explode with the pressure
There is no Hard Casr regulation in place in the BRCA Micro National Series.
The only place I know that is running a rule such as this is Southport Indoors and this is a club decided rule
soane
27-09-2010, 09:15 PM
I've just watched a video posted on the Ellesmere Port website and it appears that some of the cars are lading flat from the big double at the back of the track, what sort of abuse can these take? There are a couple of FTX's on ebay and they look like good fun :thumbsup:
Jonesy
27-09-2010, 10:00 PM
As long as you're not hitting the corner of the wall (which I've managed before :blush:) then you'll be ok. I find they are so resilliant and take punishment very well!
bindy
05-10-2010, 05:05 PM
hi thinking of doing some of the nationals i have a couple of losi mini t are these still allowed and what motors and batterys can you use hope somone can help me cheers lee
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.