View Full Version : Dans MK1 Golf - 2.0 16v ZX9R Bike Carbs
Danosborne6661
22-10-2010, 10:29 AM
I know a few of you are into your dubs soooo here's my Golf :D
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs415.snc4/47798_430072571554_509076554_5699878_3015525_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs435.snc4/47798_430072601554_509076554_5699884_95024_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs428.snc4/47138_430077901554_509076554_5700078_4450957_n.jpg
the man from delmonte
22-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Nice 1.3 golf driver:thumbsup: Shame about the illegal no. plates tho:thumbdown:
RogerM
22-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Dan, that is loverly mate, a real beauty!!
I love the Mk1 chassis but for me it's always been a Mk2 Scirocco shell built on to it.
I have a really tidy 1990 MK1 GTi cab which I should wash and post up.
dude , thats awesome love it :) . very nice . love loww v-dubs :D
I had one of thse.. back in the day!.. silver it was and never changed out of 3rd til she hit 85:woot: Ended up burning a full gallon of oil per tank of petrol.. aaaaaaaaaaah the memories:lol:
Big G
22-10-2010, 03:33 PM
I've got a CV joint to do on the mk4 golf this weekend. popped it last saturday just pulling off the motorway
I thought the Wabbit was a US Spec model not UK?
I thought the Wabbit was a US Spec model not UK?
No guesses what i thought it was until i saw the photo:lol:
Yeah, but Dan doesn't have to hide that Rabbit, his other one he does!!
MHeadling
22-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Very nice Mk1! Do you have a link for more pics etc?
Chrislong
22-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Ive seen this on Dans FB profile, very nice motor, very tasteful mods all the way through. :thumbsup:
Spencer Mulcahy
22-10-2010, 09:56 PM
I went on holiday to south africa about nine years ago and hired a car which was a brand new Rabbit, didnt know what it was until I saw it a brand new mk 1 golf I was amazed. That does look good mate.
antnee
23-10-2010, 02:04 PM
NOICE! Do you go to many VW shows? Haven't noticed this about
Alfonzo
25-10-2010, 11:56 AM
That took me back a few years. I had three Mk I's including a mint 1.6gti. I knackered the big ends on it cause it ran low on oil (burnt it quicker than petrol!). Happy memories though (mostly :lol:)
wezzer
25-10-2010, 12:49 PM
sor right i spose ;-)
Danosborne6661
30-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Thought I'd chuck another photo up seeing as I'm trying to avoid uni work at the moment :p
I'm living away at the moment so the Golf is off the road! I'm back occasionally where I am hope to be working on my engine conversion :O No more 1.3! It'll be a 2.0 litre 16v on Kawasaki ZX9R motor bike carbs. I've got the majority of the bits, it's just putting in the time when I'm back home now :D
Quite a few bit's have changed since those photos, I've now got Porsche Boxster tombstone seats and the biggest difference which is probably the small series 1 bumpers rather than the big plastic ones, cool huh!
Upcoming plans will be to get the engine in even though I don't really know what I'm doing and a full respray in Audi Ibis white which is a much fresher white than the old musty whites :)
Sorry whoever complained about having illegal registrations, but I don't even have a front one on in this photo :blush:
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/9656/dsc2134j.jpg
Big G
30-10-2011, 06:29 PM
the little bumper are spot on :D
Danosborne6661
10-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Thought I'd do a bit of a update as I'm bored of doing uni work at the moment :D The car's been under going an engine conversion when I've been back at home..
2.0 16v engine bought
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/205796_10150162683681555_509076554_7388476_3812561 _n.jpg
Motorbike carbs bought
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/197155_10150141914686555_509076554_7245076_857880_ n.jpg
Custom motorbike carb inlet made
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/268760_10150230927836555_509076554_7994203_3253549 _n.jpg
Engine stripped, cleaned and painted
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/265005_10150230928561555_509076554_7994223_3194971 _n.jpg
Last of the 1.3..
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/303011_10150350753016555_509076554_8918889_1237715 101_n.jpg
Bye bye!
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/314579_10150351604201555_509076554_8924470_1323652 415_n.jpg
Eww, few bits and bobs cut out..
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/430555_10150515984761555_509076554_9499342_1169559 569_n.jpg
Car day :)
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/546052_10150652739106555_509076554_9919973_1542034 955_n.jpg
Not much of a loom to a carbed engine!
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/432098_10150537325541555_509076554_9558202_1402849 437_n.jpg
Cleaner
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/425409_10150574181841555_509076554_9672349_1319425 411_n.jpg
Wilwood pedal box :D
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/556625_10150648940131555_509076554_9900360_1857279 072_n.jpg
Stripping back and smooth baying it
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/554758_10150648941131555_509076554_9900368_1388613 509_n.jpg
MK4 Golf Shift Tower
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/398279_10150655232286555_509076554_9927668_8758722 09_n.jpg
Dash ripped out
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/561278_10150655233316555_509076554_9927669_2114697 663_n.jpg
Cleaned back
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/306549_10150659076131555_509076554_9942444_1807135 583_n.jpg
Primered before all holes get welded up
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/540045_10150659076951555_509076554_9942445_9120493 09_n.jpg
That's it for now! I only get to work on it when I'm back in Bristol, which isn't that often at the moment. Make's me sad not having it on the road at the moment :(
Big G
10-05-2012, 04:01 PM
more silver paint needed on that engine. the alternator still looks used lol
I painted my 20vT lump before putting it back in and it looked brand new when it was under the bonnet again
Danosborne6661
10-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Yeap haven't painted the silver bits yet, they've just been cleaned up a little :) That's another one for the to do list :P
Steven Forster
10-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Yeap haven't painted the silver bits yet, they've just been cleaned up a little :) That's another one for the to do list :P
Never really understood it but why do people use motorbike carbs :confused:
Love the old skool cars :thumbsup:
Danosborne6661
10-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Power, noise, simplicity in wiring and looks bad ass :D
spud31
10-05-2012, 06:28 PM
ABF engine from a mk3 16v is that.
Cable change box will be fun to set up.
lordnikon
10-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Nice to see you shaving and cleaning the bay at the sametime. Will look awesome once the painted lump is in :thumbsup:
Any chrome or carbon parts going in :wub
Danosborne6661
10-05-2012, 07:06 PM
ABF engine from a mk3 16v is that.
Cable change box will be fun to set up.
It is an ABF yea :) The MK3 Golf gearbox is cable change as is the MK4 shift tower I've put in so no problems setting up there.
Unsure on Chrome or carbon parts! I quite like the OEM+ look really :D The small bumpers I have on are fibreglass rather than metal and I also had some nice arch spats custom made in fibreglass, I think I'll be avoiding carbon n chrome :)
spud31
10-05-2012, 08:01 PM
be careful running that short manifold as the 16v engines have a long inlet manifold to give more low down torque.
Danosborne6661
10-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Yeap I got a supersprint 4 - 2 - 1 branch which has this extention bolt up thing that I'm hoping will be ok
DerbyDan
11-05-2012, 08:26 AM
Looks like you are doing a proper job on this & know what you are doing. Love the look with the small bumbers, reminds me of a (PVW Featured) 76' Mk1 my mate owned many years ago - alongside Danny Allen's orange Mk1 it was one of the first retro-styled Mk1s
P.S; you might be interested to see my VDub...
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56431&highlight=derby
Got some CBR600 carbs for this too :cool:
CrashBangWallop
21-05-2012, 11:15 PM
I thought the 1.3 engine mounts were in a different place on the Mk1 to a 1.6 ? ?
Does look good though and good luck with the fitting out.
See if you can find a 1.8 8V RE lump to go in it, 160+ bhp on Kjet and 25 years ago ! !
vag811
03-06-2012, 07:14 PM
real nice car, keep updating us with pics
Danosborne6661
18-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Cheers peeps! I've been away in Plymouth for uni but I'm home in Bristol now where the car is :D Hoping to crack on with it. I got a guy coming round Saturday to do a load of welding work to make the engine bay nice and smooth, no more holes!
Last night I uncovered the engine for the first time in a while to change the clutch but I haven't got the weird torques tool to get it out, what a pain!
http://i.imgur.com/a1lwc.jpg?1?6135
Danosborne6661
16-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Well all my old photos have vanished on the earlier part of this thread. But in brief, this was the car
http://i.imgur.com/mmj9OJx.jpg
The engine was ripped out and I was left with this
http://i.imgur.com/rNUzE8u.jpg
Took me nearly 2 years to get it to this
http://i.imgur.com/L8yVXoh.jpg
Now it's like this :D
http://i.imgur.com/K3d9k0q.jpg
Not running yet, but just finished hiding my wiring and testing my headlights for the first time :) WHICH WORKED!
Steven Forster
16-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Absolutely love seeing stuff like this......would love to be able to do this sort of thing and wish I knew more about how to go about doing it, as I love old skool cars and motorbike......!!!
Awesome car/project and looks like it gonna be a great little motor when your finished......:thumbsup:
Danosborne6661
16-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Cheers Dexter! I didn't have a clue before I started.
It's something you just sort of learn as you go along, that's why it has taken me 2 years really. Learnt how to do welding, painting with a airbrush using 2K paints, extended all the wiring loom and learnt bits to do with the electrics as I go along. Not really done any of it before hand!
If you get stuck there's some great forums out there where people help you out. Wiring wasn't all that easy on mine but people told me where I needed to route and feed bits :)
Get yourself a car and get stuck in :D
Steven Forster
16-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Cheers Dexter! I didn't have a clue before I started.
It's something you just sort of learn as you go along, that's why it has taken me 2 years really. Learnt how to do welding, painting with a airbrush using 2K paints, extended all the wiring loom and learnt bits to do with the electrics as I go along. Not really done any of it before hand!
If you get stuck there's some great forums out there where people help you out. Wiring wasn't all that easy on mine but people told me where I needed to route and feed bits :)
Get yourself a car and get stuck in :D
I've got a motor bike in the back garden what I want to, clean up and get back on the road.
It was my first motorbike and have had it now for 10 years, its always been kept under a cover outside and been ridden in all weathers, so its had a pretty hard life but the weather has got it in a pretty bad state, but when i get some time I will be stripping it down and cleaning it up and back on the road again :D
I've currently got an 8 seater taxi what I also use for my own personal use, but thinking of getting and old skool car for when I just want to get out on the roads for some fun ;)
Bells
16-10-2013, 07:14 PM
That looks sweet buddy
Danosborne6661
14-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Should be ready to start tomorrow once I've bodged the exhaust together :D
Bricking it!
http://i.imgur.com/Csec064.jpg
vrooom
14-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Oh my! your golf is doing rude things to my thing.... it is pretty.. I amost got mk1 golf gti as my first car... too bad insurance said no. that was about 17 years ago... lol
Big G
14-03-2014, 12:49 PM
well that alternator didn't come on that engine! :D
Danosborne6661
14-03-2014, 03:36 PM
What makes you say that Big G?! It came with mine :lol:
GRIFF55
14-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Toilet roll holders off the manifold will work as a temp exhaust mate:woot:
Good luck bud, I'm sure she'll run fine. Looking gooooood
Big G
17-03-2014, 09:45 AM
What makes you say that Big G?! It came with mine :lol:
That's a KR engine isn't it? Looks like a Mk4 alternator.
of course if I'm wrong please accept my apologies :)
Did you get it started :)
Should be ready to start tomorrow once I've bodged the exhaust together :D
Bricking it!
http://i.imgur.com/Csec064.jpg
Danosborne6661
18-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Fired first time! Was really surprised considering this is the first attempt I've done at a conversion and had to make all the wiring etc. Got lots of little bits to get sorted now to get this thing running properly, resprayed and on the road :)
Steven Forster
18-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Fired first time! Was really surprised considering this is the first attempt I've done at a conversion and had to make all the wiring etc. Got lots of little bits to get sorted now to get this thing running properly, resprayed and on the road :)
:thumbsup::cool:
Dougelove
29-04-2014, 12:55 PM
just to add my collection too!!
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.