PDA

View Full Version : Speed Passion V3.0 little sluggish in B4


markwilliamson2001
24-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Hi folks

I run a SP 3.0 8.5 in my B4 at club.
So far very impressed, very smooth and driveable in the medium sized hall.

After 5 mins motor is quite cool, geared 81/23 (I normally guage on 3 teeth down from an outside gearing), which is okay.

Is there anything I can do to try and give it a touch more top end and oomph?
I did consider going down a tooth, and turning the timing up a small amount, would this work?

And I am running a SP gt2.0 LPF speedo, pretty much stock, just slightly more drag brake on 2 (5%).

Big G
24-10-2010, 09:23 PM
I ran a 23/81 on the 7.5 in my B4 and it was a nice, comfortable speed outdoors. I would if anything gear down for indoors rather than outdoors.

crank up the timing to level 8 if you want more speed. I use to run mine on 8 all the time until I had to run the 5.5 everywhere and it got turned down to try and calm it.

RogerM
25-10-2010, 07:26 AM
Mark, I run an 8.5 V3.0 on 28/78 outside and 25/78 inside (RB5 is 2.6:1 internal). I played with gearing a lot last seasion and it really likes to be geared high ... I kept going up until I started getting worried about temps and it felt better and better on the track with each extra tooth! Timing is set to level 8, DDSS to around 7 for indoors.

As a comparison the V3.0 6.5 I had in on friday was geared 25/78 ... these SP motors like to be geared higher, they are smoother but don't rev like an LRP .... exactly my reasons for choosing them.

markwilliamson2001
25-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Roger..
Did you adjust the timing on the speedo, or on the endbell? I had my timing a level 7 on the speedo if that helps.
Cheers
Mark

Big G
25-10-2010, 08:57 AM
my 10.5 will come off at ludlow at around 142 degrees geared on 23/81 in the cat. that's also 2.6:1.

The 5.5 in the B44 use to finish races outdoors on 22/84 barely warm

RogerM
25-10-2010, 09:31 AM
Timing on the endbell is as supplied, level 8 on speedo.

I am planning on playing with the timing a little more over the winter.

I have had a few people (mainly Schumacher supported drivers) say that the Speed Passion stuff isn't the highest revving and they are having to gear it high to compensate, the big advantage of them is how smoooooooooooooth they are.

/tobys
25-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Gear it up a couple of teeth on the pinion. I've run 22-23/75 on a 7.5 indoors on my B4 and it seems quick enough.

markwilliamson2001
25-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Cheers fellas, I have a 78 spur coming, so should give me some ideas!

Thanks.

captainlip
25-10-2010, 06:12 PM
ive just fitted my b4 with a sp v3 7.5t and a gt2 esc so will let you know how i get on.

what gearing do you guys advise with this setup?

/tobys
25-10-2010, 06:17 PM
depending on the track and your batteries, anything from 22/75 to 26/78 - I've run both and in between these and had good performance regardless of track.

If it's a medium sized outside Astro track, give 24/78 a whirl for starters. If it's tight indoor carpet, try 22/75. Roughly speaking, 3 teeth on the spur equals 1 on the pinion, so adjust accordingly.

HTH :thumbsup:

captainlip
25-10-2010, 06:59 PM
i run on a medium astro and medium carpet, i have a 21 and 23 pinion and the spur is the standard but not sure what it is, 82 or something, surely going down to 78 etc will reduce speed?

/tobys
25-10-2010, 07:13 PM
No, a smaller spur is the same effect as a bigger pinion.

Kit Spur is 81T

So try 25/81 and adjust up or down from there.

gazhillAE
25-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi folks

I run a SP 3.0 8.5 in my B4 at club.
So far very impressed, very smooth and driveable in the medium sized hall.

After 5 mins motor is quite cool, geared 81/23 (I normally guage on 3 teeth down from an outside gearing), which is okay.

Is there anything I can do to try and give it a touch more top end and oomph?
I did consider going down a tooth, and turning the timing up a small amount, would this work?

And I am running a SP gt2.0 LPF speedo, pretty much stock, just slightly more drag brake on 2 (5%).

Not going to read the above il just tell you what id do after running SP for the last year!

75 spur and 78 depending on track and grip levels
Between a 24-28 spur

Setup the speedo so its on full timing number 8 or 9 on settings from memory
Setup speedo so its on around 5-6 punch setting number 4 on settings from memory

That will loose you the tendency to spin the car round on power on slippery surfaces, will smooth the power delivery out and will improve your driving i.e smoother

you will find the car hasnt got as much punch but thats when you will need to go to a 6.5t or 7.5t :thumbsup:

gazhillAE
25-10-2010, 08:45 PM
ive just fitted my b4 with a sp v3 7.5t and a gt2 esc so will let you know how i get on.

what gearing do you guys advise with this setup?

Start with 78 and 24

captainlip
25-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks for that! Would anyone advise against using a hard aluiminium spur over a plastic one?

/tobys
25-10-2010, 09:29 PM
I'd stick with the plastic spurs mate.

captainlip
25-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Why do you say that? Thought alu be more durable

/tobys
25-10-2010, 10:44 PM
I have no direct experience of them but suspect they'd be a lot more noisy, much more expensive and less resilient to grit etc.

I would guess all the AE team drivers run plastic spurs too...

gazhillAE
26-10-2010, 01:11 AM
Why do you say that? Thought alu be more durable

:eh?:
Your on drugs surely???
If you mesh it right it wont strip the plastic one ive done one spur gear on all the cars ive used in 2 years!

captainlip
26-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Super thanks for the tips guys

RogerM
26-10-2010, 07:35 AM
I use the same setup as Gaz ... works very well and is silky smooth compared with LRP / Novak systmes I have used.

Big G
26-10-2010, 08:03 AM
sorry to go off topic slightly, but I had a couple of gains of sand inbetween the teeth on a plastic spur and it killed my metal pinion :D

mikeyscott
26-10-2010, 08:08 AM
I find a 78/24 with a 7.5 in a Kyosho Lazer FS (2.5) and the motor is cooking, that's after backing the timing off too. However don't listen to me as I think it's just me that has this problem...

Ran 78/23 and it was better this week, but still too warm for me.

RogerM
26-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Mike, as I have mentioned to you before I run 23 or 24 against the kit 78 spur with a V3.0 6.5 in my FS and yes it is warm but still in the sensible range!
I have also run a 5.5 in there on a 21/78 and that is ok too.

Check how much air is getting to the motor, FS shell is quite enclosed.

captainlip
26-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Ordered a 78/25t