PDA

View Full Version : Set-up for ZX5-FS2 for polished wood track


baD
06-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Hi guys - I'm hoping for some simple help (by that I mean help for a simpleton) to put this car into some sort of shape to handle indoor tracks which are predominantly slippy wood.

I've now looked at so many set-up sheets (njc, rog, shin etc) that i need to double my prozac!
Confused by the multitude of drive shafts, arms, legs and other body parts.

I have a bog standard FS2, built as per manual, did a few liittle things to it, no change of parts, and enjoyed outdoor this summer.

Can I h@££ get it handle indoor. It's worse than my old ZX5 (original) which I still have. The rear either gives way early and sharp, or there is massive understeer, I cannot find a midway driveable setup.

Slipper is presently pinned.
Running a 8.5 Team Wave on an RB-50 ESC

Could anyone please suggest changes from maunual setup to improve things? Without buying new parts?
OK, if new parts are essential, do let me know.
cheers

mattb
06-11-2010, 10:36 PM
hi mate if you have kit setup id make these changes shorten your rear links by going in a hole on the hub,1.2mm rear roll bar,change the rr anti squat spacer to 1,put a 1mm washer under ball studs on the front hubs and remove the front roll bar (if you fitted it)

baD
07-11-2010, 12:24 AM
hi mate if you have kit setup id make these changes shorten your rear links by going in a hole on the hub,1.2mm rear roll bar,change the rr anti squat spacer to 1,put a 1mm washer under ball studs on the front hubs and remove the front roll bar (if you fitted it)

Thx matt - crystal clear, I'll give every suggestion a go - cheers

njc11
07-11-2010, 09:33 PM
I'll second that!! but if you struggle with mid to exit steering remove the spacers to change the front kick up.. This is the bit the the front alloy hinge pin holder screws go through.. as kit you have a 2 pip spacer.. i took out and tried a 1 pip then tried with none.. full kick up 9.5deg

Tried this today and it helped alot!

:thumbsup:

RogerM
08-11-2010, 08:21 AM
Where in the corner is it lacking (entry, mid, exit)? Which end breaks away first?

baD
09-11-2010, 03:02 AM
Where in the corner is it lacking (entry, mid, exit)? Which end breaks away first?

Mid to Exit - rear breaks away

Breaks early at the slightest bit of throttle, so from mid to exit. OK on entry.
Even a long smooth curve where other cars can cruise through at good speed, the rear will break away at even slower speeds.

carlin
09-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Are you running a roll bar on the rear? I would try one 1.2mm on the rear.

I found after running a roll bar the rear end is alot better i was shocked after running it at Chadderton & Worksop.
I even took it off in one round at Worksop it was horrible rear end was fish tailing & loosing the rear mid to exit corner too

Gayo
09-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Mid to Exit - rear breaks away

Breaks early at the slightest bit of throttle, so from mid to exit. OK on entry.
Even a long smooth curve where other cars can cruise through at good speed, the rear will break away at even slower speeds.

I had the same problem with my B44 (:o), I found that my Minipins, being run and worn on carpet only (pointy pins), didn't worked at all on the slippy indoor stuff. I tried new ones and the problem vanished.

So now I have "slippy indoor only" tyres on my box. Lesson learned.

Fabs
09-11-2010, 09:45 AM
I'll second that!! but if you struggle with mid to exit steering remove the spacers to change the front kick up.. This is the bit the the front alloy hinge pin holder screws go through.. as kit you have a 2 pip spacer.. i took out and tried a 1 pip then tried with none.. full kick up 9.5deg

Tried this today and it helped alot!

:thumbsup:

You taking the piss? I told you to do that 10 months ago you said no ! :cry:

carlin
09-11-2010, 10:01 AM
You taking the piss? I told you to do that 10 months ago you said no ! :cry:

LMFAO :woot: :p

njc11
09-11-2010, 12:15 PM
You taking the piss? I told you to do that 10 months ago you said no ! :cry:
:p your heads big enough as it is!! lol!! Seriously though folks, rear bar and front kick really improve the car alot especially on the slippey!!:)

RogerM
09-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Don't worry Fab', he doesn't listen to me either! I've been running with no shim there since early 09 and for most of this season with the gear case machine back so I can either run more or 10deg kick but the front hinge pins higher. Remember our conversation last year?

carlin
09-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Tut Tut leave my little helper alone you two lol :D

mattb
09-11-2010, 03:50 PM
You taking the piss? I told you to do that 10 months ago you said no ! :cry:yeh nick i cant believe youve kept this a secret,call your self a mate!!!

njc11
09-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Ive only just tried it myself.. :p

Felt no need for extra mid and exit steering with the standard velvet shocks.. lol!! But now i run Big Bores.. this could be just the ticket lol! :p

You guys must be all lacking talent.... more than me even!! :woot:

Serious though.. big bores are ace.. :thumbsup:

You heard it here first! :woot:

carlin
09-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Serious though.. big balls are ace.. :thumbsup:

You heard it here first! :woot:

Something you not telling us Nick lol :p

RogerM
10-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Ive only just tried it myself.. :p

Felt no need for extra mid and exit steering with the standard velvet shocks.. lol!! But now i run Big Bores.. this could be just the ticket lol! :p

You guys must be all lacking talent.... more than me even!! :woot:

Serious though.. big bores are ace.. :thumbsup:

You heard it here first! :woot:


Must be about the only part of the setup you haven't changed every run for the past 18 months :p

And as for the talent thing, well I'm getting chance to practice regularly now ... I'll be hunting you down Caro :woot:

baD
14-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Thx for all the input lads - can't tell you the result yet as to busy to race last weekend and the club cancelled this one. :mad:

Oh well, roll on next weekend. :bored:

mdb_75
18-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Have you managed to get the car handling better now?

baD
19-02-2011, 12:46 AM
yea, much improved - thanks to everyones input.

I reckon I've put every suggestion into effect and the improvement is phenomenal.
But I reckon the main issue was too tight a slipper, and possibly too tight diffs, which I decided to check on while I was doing every other change....... now if only I could get someone to fix my thumbs :thumbsup: