PDA

View Full Version : B44 running slightly noisy


markwilliamson2001
20-11-2010, 12:11 AM
Hi,

I have a B44 with rudebits chassis. I also have the new motor mount with the clamp. I also am running the plastic center bulkhead part alongside the metal motor mount. I am running the SP v3.0 7.5 brushless motor.

Since fitting the new motor mount, my B44 has been running slightly on the rough noisy side, when on track. If I pick the car up, and run the throttle, it seems okay, a little noisy, but not overly noticeable, more like a little CVD rattle in the outdrives. Once on track it sound more pinion/spur/motor oriented. I have checked the mesh on both front and rear gearboxes internally, and they seem fine without any issue.

I have at trackside done the following:

1) Changed the pinion for another alternate one (sounded better in the hand, but not really any better on track).
2) Replaced the spur with a new one, and rebuilt and checked the slipper arrangement according to the manual. I even set the slipper setting to match the manual (10.2mm nut from end of shaft)...

It doesn't seem to effect performance really, as the car was pretty quick tonight, and the motor wasn't overly hotter than normal...

I guess it might be worth replacing the spur and pinion together, and checking again. What else could be eating my spur gears? Could the slipper be too tight? Is the noise possibly coming from the motor, and how would you check this? Whats the easiest way to set the mesh using the new motor clamp system, and the rudebits chassis, as I found turning the motor without the hole in the chassis, was quite difficult in small increments to set the mesh...

Any tips would be appreciated!

Cheers
Mark

Spencer Mulcahy
20-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Have you still got the old motor mount if so try it again to rule out a problem with the new motor mount.

markwilliamson2001
20-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Yes I have...
I also thought about removing the motor, turning it over by hand, then revving it very gently off the cells to see if the noise is coming from the motor.

Any tips on adjustment of the slipper from the kit setting?
Should it be looser? Would this help me from stripping gears?

Thanks for the tips...
Cheers
Mark

axeman
21-11-2010, 06:59 AM
how old are the diff casings?? had a similar problem and found the diff casings were worn...

markwilliamson2001
21-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Ahh...Well the gearbox gears are about 10 meetings old, but I did buy the car second hand, so the diff casings could be quite old.

Will check it out.

Thanks,