PDA

View Full Version : old timer thinking of racing again


tisher
27-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Hi guys I used to race at bury in the 80s it was around the time of them building the outdoor track as before that we used to race in the sports hall also I use to race at oldham. Anyway I now have a son at the age were he can start racing so we are going to come down tommorow and watch and see how its changed. got a couple of questions as well would a early pro cat or optima mid be usable nowadays or will I just end up buying all new gear

mattb
27-11-2010, 09:31 PM
hi mate id start of with those cars youve already got and have a look at the more modern cars and decide which one you want as you minght struggle for spares with the older cars

budfish
27-11-2010, 09:34 PM
You might be aswell to sell your old gear mate I think you would be surprised at the money you get for it and buy yourself some new gear there is some pretty decent ready to run setups out there for a little over £200 the b4.1 rtr is a good way to go

Regards

Buds

tisher
27-11-2010, 09:38 PM
I think i should be alright for spares probably got enough to build about six cars my cat is what they used to call a works car I used to be a quite high end racer A finals mainly brca north a finlist etc I raced from around 84 to 90 but I know stuff moves on so going to have noisey at radcliffe tommorow

mattb
27-11-2010, 09:43 PM
dont listen to budfish then mate hes a low end racer infact as low as they go!!!! lol

tisher
27-11-2010, 09:46 PM
:Dno worries you guys racing there tommorow

captainlip
27-11-2010, 10:20 PM
i started out this year and have had tonnes of tips from the guys in bury and denton, ill be there tomorrow, i started out with a rtr b4.1.............and the rest is history :D

ill be there for just after 11 hopefully. look for the green white and purlpe B4 and come over have a natter :thumbsup:

tisher
27-11-2010, 10:48 PM
no worries I will keep an eye open for you I am going to need to get my head back round everything cells elec gear etc

captainlip
27-11-2010, 11:19 PM
brushless is the way to go, with lipos :D

minke
27-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Yeah, your pro-cat and optima with some shiny new electrics should do fine.

budfish
28-11-2010, 02:26 AM
dont listen to budfish then mate hes a low end racer infact as low as they go!!!! lol

mine says fs2 on the box !!! So not as low end as others eh lol

The Bod
28-11-2010, 09:12 AM
I was in the same position as you, but not to the same level back in the early 90's. I got back into racing in the summer using my Optima Mid. This gave me the feel of racing again and enabled me to see what cars and technology were required. I now have a B4.1 with lips and brushless motor and feel that it is just my driving letting me down now. I will be there today also, just watch out for the broken B4.

Enjoy

Si Coe
28-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Rob, who is one of our better drivers, occasionally brings out a vintage Lazer and does alright with it. Clearly its not up there with his B44, but he can beat Buds with either car!
Quite a few of us own museum pieces we sometimes bring racing and they normally aren't a huge deal slower. Certainly I reckon for a meeting or two to get the feeling back they'd be right.

However Buds is right about the selling part though. If you've not got any serious sentimental attachment issues, Procats and mint Mids go for a song on Ebay. Enough to pay for more modern gear at least.

tisher
28-11-2010, 09:46 AM
hoping to do the same I think I will set up my son with my old cougar may be just stick in a old stock motor so he can get started then maybe treat myself to a b4 or new cat or somthing might be cheaper than trying to get my cat upto a decent standard

tisher
28-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Rob, who is one of our better drivers, occasionally brings out a vintage Lazer and does alright with it. Clearly its not up there with his B44, but he can beat Buds with either car!
Quite a few of us own museum pieces we sometimes bring racing and they normally aren't a huge deal slower. Certainly I reckon for a meeting or two to get the feeling back they'd be right.

However Buds is right about the selling part though. If you've not got any serious sentimental attachment issues, Procats and mint Mids go for a song on Ebay. Enough to pay for more modern gear at least.



the only problem with selling mine on ebay are they were pretty much all hop up parts on the cars I dont think my cat has any og stuff on it so and also they are completly thrashed being club raced every week for years on end

captainlip
28-11-2010, 09:51 AM
well i hope to see you up there shortyly :thumbsup:

tisher
28-11-2010, 10:01 AM
yep hopfully you cant miss me I will have the wife and my two lads with me probably looking lost is there some where to sit and watch?

captainlip
28-11-2010, 10:06 AM
bring a few chairs if you like, its fun to watch, pop up around 12 in that casem at least the racing will be in full swing then, no point you coming when where setting up, people will be setting up their workstations and the track will still be taking form.

JonyNitro
28-11-2010, 10:13 AM
yep hopfully you cant miss me I will have the wife and my two lads with me probably looking lost is there some where to sit and watch?

The one who looks lost every week is me, or is that "last":)

captainlip
28-11-2010, 10:14 AM
what time can we get in the hall today?

Si Coe
28-11-2010, 10:35 AM
11am

tisher
28-11-2010, 07:27 PM
cheers for that today guys it was good to come down and have a look at whats going on found it quite hard to take in all the stuff I am going to need if I do abit of a list can any of you guys fill in what is the best stuff to get and ebay numbers place to get them etc any help would be great cheers in advance
1 .. 2.4ghz stick radio
2 ...Li PO cells
3....charger
4.... brushless motor and controler
just need to get hold of some gear so I can set up at least one car for now but so that I dont have to replace it all in 6 months

Si Coe
28-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Cells will depend on the car you choose. Lipos are either stick or saddle, and unlike the old Nicads can't really be converted from one from to another. Some cars, like the Durango's also have very specific limits on the height of the cells you can use.

Chargers - most people use pretty much the same charger, only the casing looks different. I've got the main UK sourced variant, the Core UDC30 (http://www.jespares.com/electric-models?page=shop.product_details&category_id=486&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=8625) but you can get the same internals off ebay, in a different case and called an IMAX B6 for a lot less.

ESC/Motor - depends on the car, and what you plan on doing. If its just club racing, Ezruns found on ebay are perfectly capable systems for very little money. The 5.5t is good for 4wds, the 8.5t for 2wds. A few cars running today had these cheap systems in, but I bet you couldn't tell which! At least 1 made the A Final.
However, the Ezruns aren't BRCA legal, so no good for nationals, and in theory regionals, but nobody seems to check these days. If you are going for that level, the Exceed 6.5t is good, as are the Speed Passions.

2.4ghz stick radios are more of an issue. Essentially you've got some super expensive high end stuff, and some very cheap but dubious stuff. The Core looks like good value, but was causing its users issues today.

budfish
28-11-2010, 08:09 PM
I've never had a issue with my core 2.4ghz sticks mate it just some fools can't work them I.E mark

Buds

tisher
28-11-2010, 08:17 PM
cheers for that I am going to go for a brushless set up on either my old cougar or mid turbo if they cant take it then I will probably plum for the lazer i think.. so could do with some info for stick pack for now sooner i get hold of it I can start racing again:woot:

Si Coe
28-11-2010, 08:17 PM
I was suggesting it might be user error, then Adam's stopped working.....

Mind you, Jony Nitro couldn't get a DX3S working either!

budfish
28-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Roundabout toys in Ashton have some cheap yet competitive stuff like 2.4ghz sticks for 45 quid,exceed brushless system for about £110 and a blue bird servo for £28 also a mains lipo charger for £45 as for lipos get hong kong off eBay for £20 a piece hey presto you will be as fast as anyone!!!
Especially si coe a one armed blind man beat him once!!!

Si Coe
28-11-2010, 08:21 PM
cheers for that I am going to go for a brushless set up on either my old cougar or mid turbo if they cant take it then I will probably plum for the lazer i think.. so could do with some info for stick pack for now sooner i get hold of it I can start racing again:woot:


For the older cars, I'd suggest the Ezrun 9T system. Its not really 540 sized, its actually a 380 rotor in a can designed to make it fit 540 sized cars. The result is that whilst its a real screamer, its not got anything like the torque the true 540 sized systems use. That makes it a lot more gentle on older drivetrains that were not built with modern motors in mind. I've used mine in an old Cougar, an old Cat and it now lives in an old RC10.

budfish
28-11-2010, 08:21 PM
cheers for that I am going to go for a brushless set up on either my old cougar or mid turbo if they cant take it then I will probably plum for the lazer i think.. so could do with some info for stick pack for now sooner i get hold of it I can start racing again:woot:

Tysons lazer fs is for sale with all electrics car was only used a couple of times the electrics is all lrp aswell !!

tisher
28-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Tysons lazer fs is for sale with all electrics car was only used a couple of times the electrics is all lrp aswell !!

sounds interesting dont suppose you know what he is after for it?

budfish
28-11-2010, 08:32 PM
I'll find out for you mate he only lives up the road he was a committe member at bury last year but hasn't got the time any more so all the lads can vouch for him and his gear
The laser fs is a really good car it's what I had before buying my fs2 and as soon as I did by the fs 2 I regreted selling my fs !!!

I'll give him a ring now

Buds

tisher
28-11-2010, 08:36 PM
cheers bud might save me a lot of time and messing around

budfish
28-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Tell you the truth mate Its as new and like you said it's best to buy the better stuff in the first place it might cost £100 dearer than the cheaper gear but you will save twice that much by not buying the cheap gear and then throwing it and still then having to buy the top end gear 6 month down the line cut the middle ground out and go straight for the bollocks trust me I know I've spent thousands finding that out!!!

The fs is easily converted to a fs2 mattb can advise you on that because that's what he did

Buds

tisher
28-11-2010, 08:48 PM
think this might be a daft question but what type of lipo cells do I need I assume there 7.4v ones but what is all the other stuff mean ie 5200 mah 20c etc also I know the two main wires go to the speed controller but what do the other wire go to receiver?

tisher
28-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Tell you the truth mate Its as new and like you said it's best to buy the better stuff in the first place it might cost £100 dearer than the cheaper gear but you will save twice that much by not buying the cheap gear and then throwing it and still then having to buy the top end gear 6 month down the line cut the middle ground out and go straight for the bollocks trust me I know I've spent thousands finding that out!!!

The fs is easily converted to a fs2 mattb can advise you on that because that's what he did

Buds


sounds like a plan if you get any info on it just message me so I can make my mind up

budfish
28-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Lipos are easy the 5000mah is the size of the tank the "c" rating is the comsumption 20c being a 1.6 45c being a turbo charged 3.0 v6

tisher
28-11-2010, 09:03 PM
so 5000 45c are the ones to go for then seem to jump up mega in price tho would5000 20c be any good with ezrun 5.5t

budfish
28-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Not really mate you need 30c at least I run 4500mah 45c on a 5.5turn there's not much faster at bury than my set up but the lipos are £70 each as for servo I have £55 savox but I don't rate it better than the£28 blue bird I replaced it with. 30c hong kong 5000mah will be just fine as mines a bit hard to handle I beefed up my power and my racing went backwards

emtee
28-11-2010, 09:13 PM
I run 5000/20C with a 5.5t BL system with no probs at all... and it is deffo quick enough... it is a B4 2wd tho'... a 4wd might need more C..!?

tisher
28-11-2010, 09:22 PM
phew how to learn 20 years of rc racing updates in one day getting there tho:thumbsup:ordered my charger off ebay going to get the 5.5 motor and 5000 45c cells next weekend i think

budfish
28-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Be warned that will be a rocket what ever you put it in!!
I'm hopeing to race the next bury meeting was meant to race today but I'm a hgv driver and the company I work for supplys screen wash and de-icer so I worked instead (£20 per hour) so couldn't make it today plus I have a6 year old and a 3 year old so time is in short supply at the mo but if I'm there at the next try my car it's faaaaaasssssttttt!!

Buds

tisher
28-11-2010, 09:36 PM
cheers for that looking forward to it and cheers for all your help and info

Si Coe
28-11-2010, 09:38 PM
I've used the Ezrun 5.5t in a 4wd with cells as low as 3200mAh 20C's. Its better with something a little more though. I've used 5000 20C's with it too and that worked nicely. C-rating goes up with size, so a 6000mAh 20C can deliver twice the current a 3000mAh 20C can. 3000 20C's aren't up to the job, 5000mAh 20C's are.
Don't forget you'll need saddle packs for a Lazer FS. You do only need one pack though, as you can top up between races. You'll be surprised how little brushless motors actually use - 1500mAh- 2000mAh is typical for 1 race.

budfish
28-11-2010, 09:42 PM
No worries mate anyone at bury will only give you sound advice from the heart sometimes it might look as we are having a go at each other but it's all banter and having the crack I've been missing for a couple of months and Miss the racing but not half as much as I miss all the lads. You'll soon see it's one big bromance really

Regards

Buds

mattb
30-11-2010, 03:47 PM
phew how to learn 20 years of rc racing updates in one day getting there tho:thumbsup:ordered my charger off ebay going to get the 5.5 motor and 5000 45c cells next weekend i thinkmate dont buy 5000mah cells if your thinking of an fs they will not fit

tisher
30-11-2010, 08:38 PM
just stumbled across this could anyone be kind enough to have quick look and let me know if it looks any good cheers ebay number 150526628290

budfish
30-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Dos'nt look bad to me mate it looks like a factory team one with all the carbon I have drove rob mills's b44 and liked it send him a message with your phone number and ask him to ring you try and get it for £100 collected and then it's a bargin!!

Buds

tisher
30-11-2010, 09:24 PM
sounds like it would be a decent enough car then to get me back in to it might give him a cheeky offer:D

mattb
01-12-2010, 01:59 PM
b44 are a very good car mate

mattb
01-12-2010, 02:02 PM
sounds like it would be a decent enough car then to get me back in to it might give him a cheeky offer:Djust had a look at it,thats a bargain i bet theres near £40 in spares there also

captainlip
01-12-2010, 02:08 PM
do you not fancy something like this?

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58413

was racing at bury at the weekend :D

woOdy
01-12-2010, 02:26 PM
I would say something but I would get told off again.:o

captainlip
01-12-2010, 02:29 PM
I would say something but I would get told off again.:o

say it :p

mattb
01-12-2010, 02:32 PM
I would say something but I would get told off again.:oill say it for you then!!! Why dont you buy an ansmann x4 pro we stock them here at je spares i could do you a good deal on it if you join the club also im an ansmann team driver and could give you lots of track side support. NO PRESSURE:woot:!!!!! ps just look for the chubby guy with blond hair

woOdy
01-12-2010, 04:47 PM
ill say it for you then!!! Why dont you buy an ansmann x4 pro we stock them here at je spares i could do you a good deal on it if you join the club also im an ansmann team driver and could give you lots of track side support. NO PRESSURE:woot:!!!!! ps just look for the chubby guy with blond hair

Just remember who said that. And I am not chubby, big boned!:thumbsup:

budfish
01-12-2010, 05:54 PM
I think matts trying to be nice I would have said strawberry blonde at best !!

woOdy
02-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Cant believe no one has seen the grey yet?

minke
02-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Thats all the stress from the ansmann drivers 'trackside support'

tisher
02-12-2010, 03:43 PM
do you not fancy something like this?

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58413

was racing at bury at the weekend :D


looks nice mate but really want a 4wd cheers any way

tisher
02-12-2010, 03:50 PM
ill say it for you then!!! Why dont you buy an ansmann x4 pro we stock them here at je spares i could do you a good deal on it if you join the club also im an ansmann team driver and could give you lots of track side support. NO PRESSURE:woot:!!!!! ps just look for the chubby guy with blond hair

cheers for the offer but for some reason I fancy a lazer maybe because my first car was a optima:rolleyes:sentimental times with kyosho i thinks

tisher
02-12-2010, 03:53 PM
forgot to ask have any of you guys by any chance got any old 27mhz radio gear stick preferred or any old nicads just want to set up the cougar so my son can have a go

rob m
03-12-2010, 02:32 PM
sorry mate,im still using mine from back in the day, i have a couple in loft but the battery case and arials are missing, is your couger a couger 2 (red chassis one) by any chance as im after a front wishbone for mine if you have plenty spare i could buy one?

tisher
03-12-2010, 08:05 PM
I will have a noisy for you i know i have got loads of cat stuff i dont know how much cougar stuff I have. Any way been to see stu today and got my son rtr rc 10 well the new type anyway 27mhz will be okay at bury for him for a while. Had a quick go of it bit sluggish for me but should be perfect for the little one to learn with also managed to resurrect my cougar today as well 27mhz remote is a bit touch and go but going to give a spin next week at bury. seems to move alright with the lipos i got...tho it will probably not be in the same league as all the new stuff. should be a good laugh tho if it stays in one piece:D