PDA

View Full Version : S2 fact finding for my midmotor project


colmo
28-11-2010, 06:16 AM
Hello all,

I'm trying to build a BJ4 non-worlds based midmotor 2wd (I call it the BJ2O) and I'm trying to work out a few things about the rear end. I've realised it shares some traits with the S2, hence this post.

My questions are:

1) With the reversed wishbones, how do you prevent the driveshaft popping out? Its right on the outside of the outdrive.

2) As a result of the reversed wishbones, the rear of the chassis is rather exposed - are there ways to protect against rough rumpward landings?

3) The standard BJ4 rear shocks lack droop - I think Losi rear shocks are longer, and would better suit the job?

4) Are the rear camber links best oriented parallel to the driveshafts, perpendicular to the chassis midline, or from the centres of the hinge pins?

Thanks in advance!

elvo
29-11-2010, 03:10 PM
1) That problem didn't occur on the S2. (B4 diff, B4 CVD's, B4 wishbones, inner pivot 1mm wider than B4 both sides)

2) Never really was a problem, mid-motor cars jump very well.

3) Rear shocks are almost of identical length between losi and AE. The standard solution would be to use longer ball joints, for example: the AE ball joint ("rod end") on the Losi shock gives about 2mm more droop.

4) Does not matter for handling. Oddly positioned links only cause a bit more wear on the ball studs.

colmo
29-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks Elvo,

I think that's all I needed to know!