PDA

View Full Version : Old Proto 4WD


Holeshot
28-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Cleaning up my hard-drive and came accross these old photos of the Losi 4WD Buggy they tried out at the 05' Worlds. Think the arms were to short and the battery was hard to install/remove.

http://i30.tinypic.com/sb7p1f.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/dy0euv.jpg

http://i30.tinypic.com/2lm5m54.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/vo5owh.jpg

http://i30.tinypic.com/1zm342p.jpg

http://i31.tinypic.com/2qu2muq.jpg

Holeshot
28-11-2010, 08:46 AM
I can't believe Losi hasn't come out with a new kit. Im sure I bought my 1st XXX-4 back in 2002ish.

styleone
28-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Cool photos! I agree, it is a shame losi have not created new 1/10 off road buggies, but saying that, let's be totally honest, the xx4, xxx-cr, and the xxx4...all very good cars in their own ways. I think I actually admire losi for not feeling like they HAVE to just churn out new buggies to satisfy consumer demand,not many other brands have resisted a slightly upgraded version of their 1/10 vehicles every few years, but losi just applied the old 'if it ain't broke, then don't fix it' mentality. I know the xxx4 was intended to superscede the xx4, but they actually ended up creating one buggy for fast hard surfaces and one for loose/rough surfaces.

I feel that this fact,along with brilliant buggies has given the xx's & xxx's the cult status they have...

Really cool looking proto though, and as always, great to see sneak peeks

Keep um coming guys

Holeshot
28-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Im pretty sure that was the year to that they had trouble in practice etc. with the above buggy so they used the XX-4 WE and then made the Re-realease XX-4 WE. The XXX-4 is a prettygood buggy and made maintenance easy with the single belt but the XX-4 was the better buggy.

ApexSpeed
28-11-2010, 09:54 PM
I have always wondered what happened to that chassis. I have always wanted to own it, actually. I love the JRXS, and I think it would make a great off road buggy for US-type hard-pack tracks.

Welshy40
28-11-2010, 10:54 PM
This car was good considering they had zero run time before the worlds. They made the B final which was quite an achievement for a buggy that wasnt properly tested. I would have bought it if it was sold on the market. Losi's attitude to this was for fun and not anything serious.

YZ~10
02-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Looks awesome :drool:

mark christopher
02-01-2011, 05:44 PM
looks like it was once a touring car....

ApexSpeed
02-01-2011, 05:46 PM
It WAS based on the JRX-S touring car... just like the BJ4/B44 and a few others still out there.

Holeshot
03-01-2011, 05:09 AM
It WAS based on the JRX-S touring car... just like the BJ4/B44 and a few others still out there.

The xx4 came out before the street weapon (onroad car) and it was one of the best 4wd buggies to date but the street weapon wasnt much chop. Later they bought out the xxxs which wasnt to bad of a car with the xxx4 to follow which didnt lead to being as good as the xx4.

SHY
06-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Cleaning up my hard-drive and came accross these old photos of the Losi 4WD Buggy they tried out at the 05' Worlds. Think the arms were to short and the battery was hard to install/remove.
http://i30.tinypic.com/sb7p1f.jpg


Just love that shell!!! :wub

Stu
06-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Just love that shell!!! :wub


That cab-backwards look is miles better than all that cab-forward bollox.

ApexSpeed
06-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Just found out recently that there are TWO of these cars in existence, and they are both at Losi HQ (and not for sale—I tried). They are working on a new 4wd buggy right now and feel it is superior to this and other cars on the market, so there is something to really look forward to—outside of the 22.


doug

Welshy40
06-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Heres a piccy I designed for my desktop when this was being raced. Hope they are ok.

Chris Doughty
07-01-2011, 12:02 AM
back in the day, I heard that this was a drivetrain test for the JRXS-R Touring car (the rear motor evolution of the JRXS TC)

Truhe(I think) and Travis took them to the worlds, tested them back-to-back with their usual 4WD's in praccy and liked them enough to get the car teched and run them.

shortly after this event the JRXS-R TC was released with the same motor/battery config.

Richard Lowe
07-01-2011, 01:21 AM
It WAS based on the JRX-S touring car... just like the BJ4/B44 and a few others still out there.
Just to clarify, the BJ4 had much more in common with the B4 than it did the TC3, only the front and rear gearbox's came from the touring car ;)

SHY
07-01-2011, 08:05 AM
That cab-backwards look is miles better than all that cab-forward bollox.

Oh yeah! Those cab forward / bulldog shells are the first RC viruses if you ask me...

I've never seen a fast 1:1 car look that ugly...

Put on a large, transparent front wing if you need more steering. Rather than going in this direction:
19241

93works
07-01-2011, 08:17 AM
The xx4 came out before the street weapon (onroad car) and it was one of the best 4wd buggies to date but the street weapon wasnt much chop. Later they bought out the xxxs which wasnt to bad of a car with the xxx4 to follow which didnt lead to being as good as the xx4.

didn't the street weapon win the world's? :lol:

Holeshot
07-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Oh yeah! Those cab forward / bulldog shells are the first RC viruses if you ask me...

I've never seen a fast 1:1 car look that ugly...

Put on a large, transparent front wing if you need more steering. Rather than going in this direction:
19241

lol :lol:

didn't the street weapon win the world's? :lol:

Did it? Can't remember now, few years ago now. I thought they had a few issues with them. I remember the Rally Weapon to, always wanted to get one of them, really hard to find now.

terry.sc
07-01-2011, 11:38 AM
didn't the street weapon win the world's? :lol:
The Street Weapon won the 1998 ISTC at the hands of David Spashett, which technically wasn't a fully official world championship as being the first one it was classed as a demonstration event, but as it was run at the on road worlds with all the worlds top drivers in it only the most pedantic would say it didn't win the worlds.

terry.sc
07-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Just to clarify, the BJ4 had much more in common with the B4 than it did the TC3, only the front and rear gearbox's came from the touring car ;)
The point Apexspeed is making is that the BJ4, and the TC3'O' and Durango cars, were all based on the TC3 with a modified TC3 drivetrain, rear motor and stick pack battery layout like the TC3, with a mix of B4 and XX4 suspension parts. At the time of the release of these TC3 conversions all competition buggy chassis on the market were belt drive.

The first modern shaft drive 4wd buggies from 5 years ago look a lot more like a wide TC3 than their current versions.

Northy
07-01-2011, 12:14 PM
The point Apexspeed is making is that the BJ4, and the TC3'O' and Durango cars, were all based on the TC3 with a modified TC3 drivetrain, rear motor and stick pack battery layout like the TC3, with a mix of B4 and XX4 suspension parts. At the time of the release of these TC3 conversions all competition buggy chassis on the market were belt drive.

The first modern shaft drive 4wd buggies from 5 years ago look a lot more like a wide TC3 than their current versions.

Predator? :confused:

Richard Lowe
07-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Predator? :confused:
Tamiya Egress (89?) had a motor at the back and stick pack down the side a few years before the Pred, was there anything before that that did? When was the first Predator released?

...these TC3 conversions...
The TC3 'O' was a conversion as it used the TC3 chassis/shock towers/inner arm mounts ect but bolted stuff on to extend them, the BJ4 was a bespoke kit. As there were at least as many B4 parts in it as there were TC3 parts you could say it was more of a 4wd conversion for a B4.

E-Dog
07-01-2011, 12:45 PM
The TC3 'O' was a conversion as it used the TC3 chassis/shock towers/inner arm mounts ect but bolted stuff on to extend them, the BJ4 was a bespoke kit. As there were at least as many B4 parts in it as there were TC3 parts you could say it was more of a 4wd conversion for a B4.[/QUOTE]

I agree (I had the original bj4), The Bj4 had Most of the b4's suspension with the shaft and gearboxes from the tc3 and i think the actual diffs where from the "NTC3" No ?

But the chassis and bulkheads where all JConcepts and designed specifecly for offroad, I think they were spot on :)

Northy
07-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Tamiya Egress (89?) had a motor at the back and stick pack down the side a few years before the Pred, was there anything before that that did? When was the first Predator released?

I nearly fell for that tray Rich, but read what Terry typed: ;)

The point Apexspeed is making is that the BJ4, and the TC3'O' and Durango cars, were all based on the TC3 with a modified TC3 drivetrain, rear motor and stick pack battery layout like the TC3, with a mix of B4 and XX4 suspension parts. At the time of the release of these TC3 conversions all competition buggy chassis on the market were belt drive.

The first modern shaft drive 4wd buggies from 5 years ago look a lot more like a wide TC3 than their current versions.

Pred :D

peetbee
07-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Predator? :confused:
Terry did say 'modern shaft drive 4wd buggies' G, the pred had been around for 11 years by then! ;)

Northy
07-01-2011, 02:55 PM
He said:

"At the time of the release of these TC3 conversions all competition buggy chassis on the market were belt drive."

I said Predator ;)

terry.sc
07-01-2011, 06:03 PM
He said:

"At the time of the release of these TC3 conversions all competition buggy chassis on the market were belt drive."

I said Predator ;)
Which Predator was for sale in 2003 when these buggies came out? The X10 didn't see production until 2005. :D

lochness42
07-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Which Predator was for sale in 2003 when these buggies came out? The X10 didn't see production until 2005. :D

Are you serious? Predator was on market long time before. They were ran back in 90's.

Stu
07-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Pav-man, I think Terry was suggesting that the P8 was not being pushed by T-Tech in that year.

terry.sc
07-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Are you serious? Predator was on market long time before. They were ran back in 90's.
As you say, they were run in the 90s. In 2003 Tenth Technology wasn't around to buy Predators from as the company was closed in February 2000, Richard Weatherley was busy running Centre Point Distribution importing Xrays instead.

lochness42
07-01-2011, 10:18 PM
As you say, they were run in the 90s. In 2003 Tenth Technology wasn't around to buy Predators from as the company was closed in February 2000, Richard Weatherley was busy running Centre Point Distribution importing Xrays instead.

Ah ok, I wasn't aware of that. Anyway I simply misunderstood you when I saw your post for first time. Thanks for clarification.