PDA

View Full Version : o0ple user Names / Your Given Name


Chequered Flag Racing
21-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Lots of us have a forum 'user name' that we 'hide' behind or not in some case as we are know to the UK rc model car community.

Should we be asked to display our given name in our profile as a matter of course when signing up to the forum if the option was/is there?

Jamie.T
21-12-2010, 11:28 AM
TOP idea Glen. If there was a way of changing my username to my real name i would, it would make things a lot easier.

Chequered Flag Racing
21-12-2010, 11:30 AM
TOP idea Glen. If there was a way of changing my username to my real name i would, it would make things a lot easier.

No

keep our user names please but need to display our given name in our user profile

Jamie.T
21-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Ah right, i got ya. But yes, still a good idea.

James
21-12-2010, 11:34 AM
I think this is a really good idea, might stop some of the playground bickering and it would be very useful to know who some of these usernames actually are; even people at clubs i regularly race at i don't know whos who on here!

A bit deep but I also feel that in order to benefit from free speech you should give your identity.

David Church
21-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Your real name should appear somewhere I think, weather it be your user name or in your sig.

Gaz_Stanton
21-12-2010, 11:40 AM
A bit deep but I also feel that in order to benefit from free speech you should give your identity.

Definitely! Part of the deal in the right to free speech. :thumbsup:

DaveG28
21-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Definitely! Part of the deal in the right to free speech. :thumbsup:

So....where does yours say Panda eyes? :p

chrispattinson
21-12-2010, 11:48 AM
I'd prefer to hide behind my anonymous oople user name thanks, as Gaz and DC do.

Chequered Flag Racing
21-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Your real name should appear somewhere I think, whether it be your user name or in your sig.

All

Just put my real name in my user profile as I would like to keep CFR as my user name :thumbsup:. Can you all see it, I can?

Click on my user name then open the 'About Me' tab, and my given name is displayed in my 'Biography'

To do this go to User CP / Your Profile / Edit Your Details. You will have to fill in What was your first RC car? otherwise it won't save if you just enter your name

Dave Treacy
21-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Why not use your real name? Unless you plan to do / say something you are not prepared to do under your own name?

Seems daft to me...

James
21-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Fair enough, but its a bit of a faff to find, you posted the poll; there must be a reason you haven't actually put your name in your sig or somewhere more obvious? What is it?

GRIFF55
21-12-2010, 11:56 AM
real names are good, but i dont like my real name because people cannot pronounce Wagner properly. I'm loving the Dave 'amish fat jesus' gibsons comment.
griff is my real name and the 55 is an old race number, she's lucky:thumbsup:

showtime
21-12-2010, 12:00 PM
some people only know me as showtime!
they don't know the quiet, shy person behind the name :blush:

Chequered Flag Racing
21-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Why not use your real name? Unless you plan to do / say something you are not prepared to do under your own name?

Seems daft to me...

My user name was/is to be for selling RC Carbon items that I used to have made and have kept it since.

Fair enough, but its a bit of a faff to find, you posted the poll; there must be a reason you haven't actually put your name in your sig or somewhere more obvious? What is it?

Because I was 'faffing on' in my user cp to see if there was somewhere to put it. I'm going under cover to put it in my sig line :p

DaveG28
21-12-2010, 12:00 PM
some people only know me as showtime!
they don't know the quiet, shy person behind the name :blush:

I know, your the retiring type in person mate!

poopers
21-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Why not use your real name? Unless you plan to do / say something you are not prepared to do under your own name?

Seems daft to me...

I feel fun usernames encourage light hearted banter and often make forums appear more welcoming and easy going. It’s quite difficult to misinterpret things like sarcasm and get upset/have an argument with people who refer to themselves by stupid names.:D

That said adding your real name in the 'about me’ section sounds like a plan.

Gaz_Stanton
21-12-2010, 12:06 PM
So....where does yours say Panda eyes? :p

Is that sig line that better? \/ :rolleyes:

Cooper
21-12-2010, 12:08 PM
voted against, but that's just personally, don't really care if others like to do it.
Already enough privacy that's 'for sale' on the internet. Just check by googleing your name... You'd be surprised. I try to keep it limited as much as I can.

People who need to know my real name will (eventually) know it.
So meanwhile I'll just stick behind this 10yr old nickname I invented as a kid lol.

telboy
21-12-2010, 12:11 PM
I think it'd be a good Idea. purely from the fact that sometimes people say "come and find me at the next meeting" .....and you haven't a clue who they are. lol

David Church
21-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Somebody start a htread showing people's user names and their real names along side hehe FIIIGGGHHHHHTTTTTTTTT:p

mark christopher
21-12-2010, 12:27 PM
So can I put my nickname in my profile ...

Getting more like racechat.......

Adam Skelding
21-12-2010, 01:08 PM
some people only know me as showtime!
they don't know the quiet, shy person behind the name :blush:

I thought your name was Jack Daniels the first time I met you. That's all you seemed to be surrounded by!

neiloliver
21-12-2010, 01:27 PM
I think it is a good idea which is why I used the crazy username that my mum and dad gave me.

showtime
21-12-2010, 01:34 PM
I thought your name was Jack Daniels the first time I met you. That's all you seemed to be surrounded by!
:eh?: makes me sound like a drunk :o

tbh i dont drink at all now Adam. it was kinda making me ill :(

sosidge
21-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Lots of us have a forum 'user name' that we 'hide' behind or not in some case as we are know to the UK rc model car community.

Should we be asked to display our given name in our profile as a matter of course when signing up to the forum if the option was/is there?

Are you trying to turn this board into RaceCrap?

You'll probably be suggesting membership fees and a ban on links next. And insisting we all run 12th scale.

"Real" names are not part of internet forum culture, so there is no need for them on any board. Not that I have anything to hide, but I don't feel the need to share my real name with people I don't know personally. Plenty of people on this board know my real name anyway.

c0sie
21-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Are you trying to turn this board into RaceCrap?

Make the bad man stop!!

STTTOOOOPPP!!!

James
21-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Are you trying to turn this board into RaceCrap?

You'll probably be suggesting membership fees and a ban on links next. And insisting we all run 12th scale.

"Real" names are not part of internet forum culture, so there is no need for them on any board. Not that I have anything to hide, but I don't feel the need to share my real name with people I don't know personally. Plenty of people on this board know my real name anyway.

:bored:

It seemed like quite a good suggestion to me, i dont know your name sosidge, but i could go to the whois and see from your domain (which is quite a neat name ;)) and find out if i desperately wanted to. Don't see what the fuss is about it appears quite sensible really.

sldmodels
21-12-2010, 02:12 PM
I think if you we're starting up a new forum, then you could have it anyway you wanted. My username is pretty obviously for the shop, and if I could, I'd have that user id and a personal user id, but that would just get confusing. Other people, have user id's that we're that before they became a trading name, ie frogger.

I think that the forum owner or moderator should know your given name, and it's your choice to give it to other people, but I know / discuss argue, am friends & enemies :p with people across forums and I know who's who by their user names, as they can be more unique, as you can choose that user name. I mean, you're not going to have a username that is nasty about yourself unless you personally like it for some reason.

stegger
21-12-2010, 02:41 PM
I think it's a good idea :thumbsup:

Col
21-12-2010, 03:07 PM
I voted yes, simply because I have always had my real name in my profile.
In reality I couldn't care either way.
Although it has been interesting to meet people in the flesh and then discover that you've been talking to them for years already on oOple:thumbsup:

russmini
21-12-2010, 08:11 PM
The only reason i don't put my name on stuff is it's a bit more unique than most. So like has been suggested with Google searches, people you may not want to know things about you, do...

Thats not me trying to hide by the way, hey i use the same Forum Name for every forum i'm a member of (i know a lot don't).

I also run a RC Forum, so you can find me easily there and being around for a good few years, would hope it gives some security...

Part of my real name is in my forum name, yeh not hard, Russ. The Mini bit is because i've always been a fan of The Proper Mini. Certainly nothing to do with my size :lol:

But, to get back to point, if Jimmy made it oOple law, then yeh, i'd be happy to put my name in my profile like has been suggested.

:thumbsup:

Dave Dodd
21-12-2010, 08:59 PM
I used to be known as "Kartman" still am on most other forums, but decided to use my real name. It's just easier for people to know if they phone my shop or see me at race meets, instead of "are you that kartman guy off oople" :lol: