PDA

View Full Version : Basic engine tuning for noobs


soane
01-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Two guys I work with have both bought second-hand Traxxas T-Max trucks, both in good nick but they can't seem to set them up properly. They've followed the instructions on the Traxxas website for basic set-up which consists of screwing the high speed needle all the way in (full lean) then 4 turns out as a 'base' mixture then setting the low speed screw flush with its housing and finally the idle as low as possible. The problem is neither car will run for more than 5 minutes without stalling. Now from what I can gather from the website and of Youtube, a too-lean mixture will cause stalling, yes? All I'm after is some pointers (my advice is to go brushless :thumbsup:). Thanks in advance.

MALLET
03-02-2011, 11:40 AM
If they are running on base settings, they wont get more run time than 5 mins.

Beddo
03-02-2011, 12:25 PM
I seem to remember having a shed load of problems with my TRX3.3 when I had a TMaxx.
Sounds like its probably a little rich still, certainly if its still on the stock settings it will be. You'll want to tweak the bottom end a bit first, then the idle then the top end.

Little vid might help (http://beddo-rc.co.uk/?cat=10)