View Full Version : bury forum...
captainlip
09-02-2011, 07:36 PM
do you think its time bury had its own forum? after all, all our threads are getting edited, closed and deleted, not to mention the reputation that bury recieves...jeeeze :D
ok ok I may have gone to far now :woot: appears not alot of people understand sarcasm these days
mattb
09-02-2011, 07:39 PM
phil how many seconds till this gets deleted?? haha
Si Coe
09-02-2011, 07:46 PM
As it happens, a valid topic for debate.
We had Tyson look into this, but of course as he is no longer racing it died a death. The idea was we could be silly there without being judged.
Southport manage to operate their own forum and have a presence on Oople too, so its not either/or.
The problem is hosting costs money, and ironically someone has to moderate! With no mods at all it would be fulled with Shank's homemade porn in no time.....
However if someone wants to volunteer*........
* offer excludes Shanks as we want a website for a car club not a dogging site!
captainlip
09-02-2011, 07:55 PM
fill me in si! i want to afford a bling car :D
budfish
09-02-2011, 08:23 PM
As it happens, a valid topic for debate.
We had Tyson look into this, but of course as he is no longer racing it died a death. The idea was we could be silly there without being judged.
Southport manage to operate their own forum and have a presence on Oople too, so its not either/or.
The problem is hosting costs money, and ironically someone has to moderate! With no mods at all it would be fulled with Shank's homemade porn in no time.....
However if someone wants to volunteer*........
* offer excludes Shanks as we want a website for a car club not a dogging site!
I mentioned it to stu today and he agrees.
My cousin is a web designer and I'm sure that for a few packs of Dutch tobacco he will be all over it
Buds
captainlip
09-02-2011, 08:25 PM
can it not be done on the current bury metro website?
bigred5765
09-02-2011, 08:32 PM
As it happens, a valid topic for debate.
We had Tyson look into this, but of course as he is no longer racing it died a death. The idea was we could be silly there without being judged.
Southport manage to operate their own forum and have a presence on Oople too, so its not either/or.
The problem is hosting costs money, and ironically someone has to moderate! With no mods at all it would be fulled with Shank's homemade porn in no time.....
However if someone wants to volunteer*........
* offer excludes Shanks as we want a website for a car club not a dogging site!
pm sent
JonyNitro
09-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Not a bad idea, I for one would come on, all my info I need are down to the bury members, and local banter aswell, because whit is whit in what ever form it takes.
Si Coe
09-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Cheers Carl, Owe you one!
budfish
09-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Johnny nitro the moderator?????? Awesome
Dudders
09-02-2011, 09:07 PM
You can get free php.bb forums off the shelf then gradually tweek them. HTH.
captainlip
09-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Ill moderate so I can close all the threads edit them and get pissed off with you all :thumbsup:
if were going to run a free basic one let me know ill go and host one now....
captainlip
09-02-2011, 09:19 PM
hows that?
http://burymetro.freeforums.org/
or would you all prefer something through the bury metro website?
im going to open a few sections.
jimmy
09-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Wow sorry to see Bury Metro go after nearly 4 years. I'm a big fan of Bury and have raced there many times - but if you guys want to start your own forum then power to you! It can only be a good thing for the club to have control of its own forum. Most clubs on oople.com have their own moderators for their sections but Bury never has and it's shown in recent times with things getting well out of hand. I'm happy to have helped the club in all the ways I could over the years and am genuinely sorry that you guys decided to leave - but if you feel you need more freedom than is possible on a moderated forum then I fully understand.:thumbsup:
I guess I need to poll the members to see if theres interest in keeping this sub-forum alive or not? :confused:
captainlip
09-02-2011, 09:25 PM
jimmy you are dry....
captainlip
09-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Wow sorry to see Bury Metro go after nearly 4 years. I'm a big fan of Bury and have raced there many times - but if you guys want to start your own forum then power to you! It can only be a good thing for the club to have control of its own forum. Most clubs on oople.com have their own moderators for their sections but Bury never has and it's shown in recent times with things getting well out of hand. I'm happy to have helped the club in all the ways I could over the years and am genuinely sorry that you guys decided to leave - but if you feel you need more freedom than is possible on a moderated forum then I fully understand.:thumbsup:
I guess I need to poll the members to see if theres interest in keeping this sub-forum alive or not? :confused:
this is so we can 'bully and upset people' than you dissaprove of if you have been following our discussions.....oh thats right you just delete them :D
jimmy
09-02-2011, 09:28 PM
And you are banned :thumbsup:
tisher
09-02-2011, 09:28 PM
I dont know whats up with some of them on here I have only been at the club a short time. But I love the fact there is good banter after a race meet everyone at the club are friendly and helpful I think there jealous of the banter we have on here and dont understand that its only a bit of fun
Dudders
09-02-2011, 09:30 PM
And you are banned :thumbsup:
PMSLROTF This is better than Eastenders!!!!!
Cracking!!! :woot::woot:
jimmy
09-02-2011, 09:30 PM
I totally agree with you buddy but it verged into threats and bullying and we can't tolerate that. :cry:
Si Coe
09-02-2011, 09:32 PM
I don't think anyone was planning on leaving!
Its just moving the silliness elsewhere and leaving here for the serious stuff (race information etc) and newcomers.
Its what other clubs do anyway (cf Southport)
I'll moderate here for Bury if you want someone to keep it under control whilst someone else admins the new site.
bandit
09-02-2011, 09:32 PM
As I read previously I think it be a good idea to keep the bury oople subforum going as it's well established and oople is an awesome forum anyhow and still have a separate bury forum as it's a very popular club.
Oscar
09-02-2011, 09:37 PM
I guess I need to poll the members to see if theres interest in keeping this sub-forum alive or not? :confused:
I'd vote yes. The general public are most likely to find themselves arriving at this site, and the fact there is an active club in the Manchester area is (in my opinion) useful knowledge.
The Bod
09-02-2011, 09:37 PM
And you are banned :thumbsup:
Oops, poor old Phil.
I agree that a separate forum could be used for the internal banter but I would still like to have a Bury forum on here so that the normal threads can be posted and viewed by all.
Bury club is a very warm and welcoming club that provides a good racing experience. Banter is banter but obviously can be judged to go too far at times by those that do not know the people/characters at the club.
Every meeting the track is of a very high standard and is well organised and run throughout the day.
jimmy
09-02-2011, 09:43 PM
SiCoe - we are NOT talking about sillyness or banter. There's a long-running streak of nuttyness in this bury forum no ones got a problem with.
I saw what was posted last night and this morning - those guys should have been banned for that crap. Perhaps if you'd been moderating stuff it wouldn't have got out of hand to the point where people believe they have some god-given right to be rude and offensiv - but with no club members ever putting themselves forward as a moderator things have clearly gotten way-way out of hand. :yawn:
minke
09-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Heck, I can't tell wether something is banter or not (sometimes) Its all water off a ducks back to me anyhow. I let my upside down cars do the talking.
Si Coe
09-02-2011, 09:50 PM
If I'd known I could I would have done so ages ago. I just figured the reply would have been 'Who the hell are you?' and the request not taken seriously. After all I'm not an RC bigshot or club president like the other mods are, just a club racer with a few extra responsibilities.
jimmy
09-02-2011, 09:51 PM
I'd vote yes. The general public are most likely to find themselves arriving at this site, and the fact there is an active club in the Manchester area is (in my opinion) useful knowledge.
Fair enough John and I'm sure I'll be racing at Bury this summer when I get chance. Maybe these guys can come tell me why they are so upset then.
jimmy
09-02-2011, 09:55 PM
If I'd known I could I would have done so ages ago. I just figured the reply would have been 'Who the hell are you?' and the request not taken seriously. After all I'm not an RC bigshot or club president like the other mods are, just a club racer with a few extra responsibilities.
Anyone wanting to help out with moderation is more than welcome as long as they are sensible - that's all that matters. :thumbsup:
I've nothing personal against any of these guys - I don't even know them.
Si Coe
09-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Anyone wanting to help out with moderation is more than welcome as long as they are sensible - that's all that matters. :thumbsup:
I've nothing personal against any of these guys - I don't even know them.
Well that rules out 90% of our members......
Anyway, as I'm supposed to be 'the polite face of Bury Metro' I officially volunteer for what I suspect I'm going to regret but may be required for the benefit of the club. At least it will make poor Oscars job easier.
Although I'm not sure about being sensible. I'm supposed to be writing year 8's reports.....
The Bod
09-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Well done Si
Si Coe
09-02-2011, 10:07 PM
All I've done is volunteered. Jimmy hasn't agreed yet, and may well decide not to. Its his forum after all.
Fast Eddie
09-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Well that rules out 90% of our members......
Anyway, as I'm supposed to be 'the polite face of Bury Metro' I officially volunteer for what I suspect I'm going to regret but may be required for the benefit of the club. At least it will make poor Oscars job easier.
Although I'm not sure about being sensible. I'm supposed to be writing year 8's reports.....
Never been to your race meets but I will at some point :thumbsup:
If only to swear, dance like my dad on the rostrum, stand in the way and shout at people in an attempt to cover my embarrassment at crashing my car (which is shite anyway) and attempting to start a fight in the car park:p
Good publicity;)
Si Coe
09-02-2011, 10:10 PM
You'd fit right in!
Fast Eddie
09-02-2011, 10:14 PM
You'd fit right in!
So you have seen " one flew over a cuckoos nest" :confused:
When are your all day meets? I get one in 3/4 sundays off work
Si Coe
09-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Calender is on the website (http://www.bmrcc.talktalk.net/calender2010.html). Indoors we are limited to hall times, outdoors we stay until Rog (the race controller) gets fed up and wants his tea.....
bigred5765
09-02-2011, 10:21 PM
ill second si for the job, he seems half sane at least lmao ;)
Si Coe
09-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Carl, this is getting expensive! Just what am I going to end up owing you for all these favours?
bigred5765
09-02-2011, 10:34 PM
:blush:lol:wub you'll know when im knocking on ya pit bench,:thumbsup:
The race controller
09-02-2011, 11:45 PM
What is a moderator anyway ?
Am I really losing it ?
After setting up the Bury Metro websites on Virgin, Tiscali and now on Talktalk, I thought I was doing OK.
Colin May rehashed the look of the site but I would have thought Jimmy would have let us know if we had to do our own moderating. I've always regarded the forum as his baby.
Anyway, thanks Jimmy, where would we be without oOple.
Go for it Si, you always seem to have the time to be on here.
Oscar
10-02-2011, 12:12 AM
Maybe you could say its my fault a little too Roger. I think I was originally supposed to Mod the clubs section, but as the number has grown over the years I have physically not got the time to read every post from every club section. This really now must be completed at an individual club level.
I think a moderator is someone who is there to just keep a watch on whats going on, and not let things degrade into personal grievances or slanging matches. You more than anyone know how much hard work an individual can put into any club, usually for no reward and often few thanks. The club which a few work so hard to keep afloat, (I think anyway) does need to have someone to keep an overview on how the image of that club is portrayed to the outside world.
sldmodels
10-02-2011, 01:19 AM
I might pop up Bury at some point (thinking of moving to the Manchester area anyway), but I think Bury can have it's own forum on it's site, and keep the oople forum.
In Jimmy's defence, this is his forum, and if there's a lot of fighting and bitching going on, it reflects badly on him and the forum, and he can't allow that to go on. On your own forum, you'll have the same pressures, but only your forum would be affected by it.
You could probably set a forum up on your website as it is. Check the control panel area and you should be able to tell pretty soon. If you can't, have a loook at the people who host my site which is www.tsohost.com (I can't recomend these guys highly enough!) I'm sure other people can recommend equally as good hosting providers.
mattb
10-02-2011, 07:32 AM
SiCoe - we are NOT talking about sillyness or banter. There's a long-running streak of nuttyness in this bury forum no ones got a problem with.
I saw what was posted last night and this morning - those guys should have been banned for that crap. Perhaps if you'd been moderating stuff it wouldn't have got out of hand to the point where people believe they have some god-given right to be rude and offensiv - but with no club members ever putting themselves forward as a moderator things have clearly gotten way-way out of hand. :yawn:
I know some of the posts have been a little unsavory,but seriousley most of use just thought it was normal levels of abuse and hand on heart realy have been holding back,may be some of us have lower morals than others,You should read some of the text messages we send each other now those can be very unsavory.but i just also like to add were not upset whatsoever lol!!
4cells
10-02-2011, 08:58 AM
There's the answer then. You lot from Rochdale have your own slaggers forum.
peetbee
10-02-2011, 09:13 AM
I know some of the posts have been a little unsavory,but seriousley most of use just thought it was normal levels of abuse and hand on heart realy have been holding back,may be some of us have lower morals than others,You should read some of the text messages we send each other now those can be very unsavory.but i just also like to add were not upset whatsoever lol!!
It is other's perception of your club though. If you read what you guys think of as normal banter as if you were a complete outsider, then it doesn't make the club out as a friendly place, especially on that recent thread*.
You may think so what, but if it's putting people off attending the club then that's not a good thing.
With that in mind do you really think that having your own forum with little moderation is going to change people's perception or reinforce it?
Feel free to shoot me down in flames :)
* this doesn't mean all the posts/posters!
budfish
10-02-2011, 09:32 AM
We have had a hugely successful and busy club days IE chadderton
As a collective group agreement we decided not to host the event this year and that's where batley stepped in and took it on we all have an equal say at bury . What we don't have is a small group of people calling the shots (inner circle.
budfish
10-02-2011, 02:44 PM
26-10-2008
The race controller
Senior Member
*
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Radcliffe
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by woOdy
The club IS about to close! The club has asked why people dont come and we have tried to listen and tried to start and change things. Still people dont come. Its heart breaking that there is a great venue and nobody turns up. We only have about 8 members? Whats that all about? I as the Chairman is giving it till winter then if things have not changed then I am going to close the doors on one of the oldest clubs in RC history.
Just goes to show the actual membership has increased by x5 in 2 years
Si Coe
10-02-2011, 03:57 PM
It takes me the same time to drive to Southport as it does Bury. It cost the same money as well. Southport has the better track, higher turnout and more top drivers. So why did I go to Bury?
Because I didn't want a super serious club (I know the Southport lads can have fun, but they are also more serious too) I wanted to have a laugh on a Sunday afternoon. Thats what we are about these days, and it seems to be working.
People who don't like us go to Southport, people who don't like Southport come to us.
In the past Bury tried to be Southport, but that doesn't work. What turned the clubs numbers around is being the exact opposite.
The way we are doesn't put off people - it puts off people who would prefer to be somewhere else anyway.
shanks
10-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Agreed si Coe
I do Miss racing lately and having the crack with everyone there
Apparently there was lots of youngsters at the last meet which is good news
Roger and stu have shown great commitment running the club for so long and as buds says it seems to be going from strength to strength recently :thumbsup:
Perhaps time to capatilise on the new member type?
Must be lots of people including kids that have rc cars and would like to go to a track but don't want to race necessarily or are perhaps intimidated at the thought of racing?
Maybe in summer when the new track is done an open day/run what you bring scenario may pull in more members??
Ps if I can get down to help with relocation I will:thumbsup:
It takes me the same time to drive to Southport as it does Bury. It cost the same money as well. Southport has the better track, higher turnout and more top drivers. So why did I go to Bury?
Because I didn't want a super serious club (I know the Southport lads can have fun, but they are also more serious too) I wanted to have a laugh on a Sunday afternoon. Thats what we are about these days, and it seems to be working.
People who don't like us go to Southport, people who don't like Southport come to us.
In the past Bury tried to be Southport, but that doesn't work. What turned the clubs numbers around is being the exact opposite.
The way we are doesn't put off people - it puts off people who would prefer to be somewhere else anyway.
jimmy
10-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Some good news!
Stu Wood has stepped up to moderate the Bury Metro section on oople! :thumbsup:
And the other good news is that MattB is banned for a week for a continued torrent of abuse aimed at myself - you can only push so far Matt :woot:
budfish
10-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Some good news!
Stu Wood has stepped up to moderate the Bury Metro section on oople! :thumbsup:
And the other good news is that MattB is banned for a week for a continued torrent of abuse aimed at myself - you can only push so far Matt :woot:
Jimmy can I have trouble causer under my name please Ill be good:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:Surley I've earned it if only for the sharp Witt and genuine comedy value:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
jimmy
10-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Would you beleive as I saw your name as the last responder that I opened up the thread and opened up your user profile at the same time to ban you - imagining the gob of abuse you'd be giving me! For this fact alone, I think you deserve the user title aforementioned :p
njc11
10-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Yays!! mattb is banned lol!!:woot:
Now jimmy... i think you should ban yourself for posting pornographic pics!
I'll get you back for that!! :p :woot:
and why havent you joined my appreciation club!??!??
jimmy
10-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Haha thats not porn mate - your body is ART :wub
njc11
10-02-2011, 09:39 PM
what.... man boobs is art!??! :woot:
Col's tattoo'd look im not keen on!
Join i tell you!! 12 members up to now!
:thumbsup:
budfish
10-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Would you beleive as I saw your name as the last responder that I opened up the thread and opened up your user profile at the same time to ban you - imagining the gob of abuse you'd be giving me! For this fact alone, I think you deserve the user title aforementioned :p
Awesome I'll wear it with pride
Cheers
Buds
MikePimlott
10-02-2011, 09:45 PM
what.... man boobs is art!??! :woot:
Col's tattoo'd look im not keen on!
Join i tell you!! 12 members up to now!
:thumbsup:
Click ME (http://www.oople.com/forums/group.php?do=picture&groupid=13&pictureid=3820)
:woot::woot: legendary
Si Coe
10-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Some good news!
Stu Wood has stepped up to moderate the Bury Metro section on oople! :thumbsup:
So you are saying I'm not good enough after all then? Thanks a bunch Jimmy!:p
budfish
10-02-2011, 10:38 PM
So you are saying I'm not good enough after all then? Thanks a bunch Jimmy!:p
Yes twit. With that court case hanging above your balding head jimmy can't risk and I can't blame him you are responsible for at least 30% of the abuse so you being moderator would be like letting
A peado run a youth club !!!
Northy
10-02-2011, 10:40 PM
What's PK got to do with this? :woot:
jimmy
11-02-2011, 12:19 AM
So you are saying I'm not good enough after all then? Thanks a bunch Jimmy!:p
Lol, no chief - but Woody asked for it and since he's the GOD of bury I thought I'd best submit to his request :woot:
That being said - there can be as many moderators as is required, it's not a 1-time deal :thumbsup:
Whiskers
16-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Just to let everybody know the new independent Bury forum is now up and running!
http://burymetro.freeforums.org/
jimmy
16-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Just to let everybody know the new independent Bury forum is now up and running!
http://burymetro.freeforums.org/
I think it was listed on page ONE chief :rolleyes:
Whiskers
16-02-2011, 04:34 PM
I think it was listed on page ONE chief :rolleyes:
Yes but now it has changed and has some new features
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.