PDA

View Full Version : B4 Progress


coleman758
22-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Hey Guys,
Well i picked the new B4 up last night.
I stripped it down bolt for bolt. And re-built it cleaning and greasing as i went!

So now it looking very tidy!

Picked up some yellow Mini-pins from BMM yesterday & ordered some new wheels as the ones that are on are not great. Oooo and also a new body so its gonna look the dogs!

The guys at BMM recommended an Orca brushless setup using an 8.5T motor.
so i think i will be going for that.

Other than that have i missed anything? is it a good idea to get any alloy parts etc?

the only other thing is what weight oil should be in the shocks? at the moment its 50W i think. so its pretty hard. I was thinking more along the lines of 30W?

captainlip
22-02-2011, 10:30 PM
35w oil I use all round

you need silver rear springs and blue fronts

add some weight on the servo or towards the front

make sure you have front and rear shock towers and wishbones spare as you WILL break them at some point roundabout rc are good for prices

motor wise 7.5t or 8.5t will be perfect

thats all off top off my head

captainlip
22-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Hey Guys,
Well i picked the new B4 up last night.
I stripped it down bolt for bolt. And re-built it cleaning and greasing as i went!

So now it looking very tidy!

Picked up some yellow Mini-pins from BMM yesterday & ordered some new wheels as the ones that are on are not great. Oooo and also a new body so its gonna look the dogs!

The guys at BMM recommended an Orca brushless setup using an 8.5T motor.
so i think i will be going for that.

Other than that have i missed anything? is it a good idea to get any alloy parts etc?

the only other thing is what weight oil should be in the shocks? at the moment its 50W i think. so its pretty hard. I was thinking more along the lines of 30W?


oh and to add id go for the fusion exceed setup

great bang for buck

http://www.roundabouttoys.com/store/product/19370/Exceed-Pro-80A-Sensored-ESC-with-6.5T-Brushless-Motor/

coleman758
22-02-2011, 10:48 PM
As for the shock oil i though as much... at the moment i've got black on the rear and brown on the front. I think thats standard?

After i have sorted the electrics/batteries/charger i will get some more buts on the go i think. Including some threaded shocks and full spring set.

captainlip
22-02-2011, 10:55 PM
As for the shock oil i though as much... at the moment i've got black on the rear and brown on the front. I think thats standard?

After i have sorted the electrics/batteries/charger i will get some more buts on the go i think. Including some threaded shocks and full spring set.

black and brown are faaaaaaar to soft.

stick with the tweaks I mentioned above and it will become alot more managable and competative

coleman758
22-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Sounds good to me! I'll be down on sunday, But not sure if the car will be ready :( i think i may just have to wait until the next meet to drive!

Il do what you said and go 35w with the colours you suggested, would you get a full set of springs?

danDanEFC
22-02-2011, 11:08 PM
As for the shock oil i though as much... at the moment i've got black on the rear and brown on the front. I think thats standard?

After i have sorted the electrics/batteries/charger i will get some more buts on the go i think. Including some threaded shocks and full spring set.

Black and brown are standard but that's for our American cousins.

Here in all the UK as the Capt said it's blue front and silver rear, that's outdoor and indoor. So you don't need a spring set.

Threaded shocks are handy, most important is the bleeder screw caps or get some v2 shocks.

captainlip
22-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Sounds good to me! I'll be down on sunday, But not sure if the car will be ready :( i think i may just have to wait until the next meet to drive!

Il do what you said and go 35w with the colours you suggested, would you get a full set of springs?


no just track down silver and blue its all you will ever need.

as above bleeder caps are handy and v2 shocks, although the ones I had were '#@£*....

coleman758
22-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Ok that makes sense! il get that sorted! thanks!

captainlip
22-02-2011, 11:17 PM
as for weights on your servo track me down at bury ill fit some shiny ones for you for free and have a quick look at your setup :thumbsup:

coleman758
22-02-2011, 11:31 PM
as for weights on your servo track me down at bury ill fit some shiny ones for you for free and have a quick look at your setup :thumbsup:

Sounds good! you will probably see me first! il be the guy walking around lost!
I'l bring my car down with be and see what i can figure out!

coleman758
22-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Do people normally get any alloys bits for the B4 or is it impractical?

captainlip
22-02-2011, 11:54 PM
just a bling thing

i bought everything possible for the b4, carbon braces, alloy steering it was awesome!

eventually you will need titanium turnbuckles bit of bling but the fronts bend easy

BillyB
23-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Orca kit is good bud thats what Ive gone with when a got back into it 2 months back

coleman758
23-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Orca kit is good bud thats what Ive gone with when a got back into it 2 months back

I'm thinking of the 8.5T i'm hearing nothing but good comments. what motor/car do you run?

captainlip
23-02-2011, 01:54 PM
FUSION EXCEED...... :woot:

BillyB
23-02-2011, 02:23 PM
AE B44 buddy withVRITRA VC4 PRO SPEC MK2 SPEED CONTROL,5.5t ORCA Motor n a ORCA 4200 saddle pack, its good but am a newby and wouldnt know the difference lol

coleman758
23-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Sorry Captianlip!




I got Orca.....
just spent £180! on the model shop!
on wheels tyres bearings body shock oil springs! (blue & silver) and a few misc bits

on loads of bits just need the lipos and charger now!

captainlip
23-02-2011, 03:36 PM
im sure you will be happy mate!

look forward to seeing it in action!

coleman758
23-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Hopefully! Now i just gotta learn to drive the damn thing properly haha!

captainlip
23-02-2011, 03:42 PM
lots of track time helps get up to bury and denton as much as poss.

secondly dont rush speed wins yes but you need to learn to control that speed first

budfish
23-02-2011, 05:54 PM
lots of track time helps get up to bury and denton as much as poss.

secondly dont rush speed wins yes but you need to learn to control that speed first

You are right Phil as much track time as you can spare gets better results than any amount of fancy bits

bandit
23-02-2011, 06:05 PM
You are right Phil as much track time as you can spare gets better results than any amount of fancy bits

Can't echoe this enough, I'd say 90% driver the rest car and setup.

BillyB
23-02-2011, 07:08 PM
to right bandit!! its driver not the car mines set up wrong but a get by lol, not at leyland this week a week on friday though am back in action!!!!!!:thumbsup:

coleman758
23-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Well I want to try and get as much practice as possible! I think the car should be ready tomorrow! so i think i may drive on sunday. am i right in thinking that the first meeting is free?

Also for the first meeting would one lipo battery do the trick?

as money at the moment is tight haha! or would you go for two?

tisher
23-02-2011, 09:46 PM
one lipo should be fine I only really ever use one just make sure you stick it back on charge after every race I will be racing my b4 on sunday for the first time so that should be fun

captainlip
23-02-2011, 09:47 PM
i started out with 2 turnigy hardcase lipos from hobbyking, cost me £28 delivered for 2 :D quite please actually

Si Coe
23-02-2011, 09:49 PM
It depends a bit on the lipo and the motor, but running the 10.5t I have now, and the 6000mAh Demon pack I'm using, I could easily do a whole Roundabout meeting (3 heats and a final) without recharging at all!

Yes first meeting is free.

I'm kinda thinking of running my RC10T on Sunday....

coleman758
23-02-2011, 09:54 PM
one lipo should be fine I only really ever use one just make sure you stick it back on charge after every race I will be racing my b4 on sunday for the first time so that should be fun

Dito haha! I think i will get one too start. and a decent charger.
what is it like for power outlets? is there 240V (Wall & Plug!) or is a matter of stick it on the car battery?

mattb
23-02-2011, 09:59 PM
matt,ive been having a go with my b4 and i have found useing the blue front springs it understeers far to much for my likeing indoors and is much better with silver fronts.

coleman758
23-02-2011, 10:01 PM
It depends a bit on the lipo and the motor, but running the 10.5t I have now, and the 6000mAh Demon pack I'm using, I could easily do a whole Roundabout meeting (3 heats and a final) without recharging at all!

Yes first meeting is free.

I'm kinda thinking of running my RC10T on Sunday....

I have an Orca 8.5t RX2 system. What sort of battery would you recommend?

Si Coe
23-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Anything over 4000mAh and 25C or more will be fine. These ones (http://www.roundabouttoys.com/store/product/35103/Reedy-LiPo-5000mAh-7.4V-40C%2B/) at Roundabout seem like a bit of a bargain.

There are wall sockets available at Bury indoor meets and Roundabout. Bring an extension lead and plug multipliers though as the few wall sockets go fast!
For Bury outdoors we normally have limited mains available but mostly we use 12V. Since we are going to be using a temporary track for a while its likely there will be no usable sockets until we move into our new home.

coleman758
23-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Anything over 4000mAh and 25C or more will be fine. These ones (http://www.roundabouttoys.com/store/product/35103/Reedy-LiPo-5000mAh-7.4V-40C%2B/) at Roundabout seem like a bit of a bargain.

There are wall sockets available at Bury indoor meets and Roundabout. Bring an extension lead and plug multipliers though as the few wall sockets go fast!
For Bury outdoors we normally have limited mains available but mostly we use 12V. Since we are going to be using a temporary track for a while its likely there will be no usable sockets until we move into our new home.

Sounds good! What happens as far as pit space? is it a bring your own table job?

il bring a few extensions etc..! Also whats the word with a new track?

Si Coe
23-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Bring a table, find a space if you can! We get a bit crowded at times but there is room in the corridor if need be. Turn up early to help set up and you get to nab the best pit spaces - only to have some gypsy turn up and steal half your table!

The new outdoor track is 'in process'. Woody has spoken with the developers, seems happy with the proposal and has agreed to it. And seems to be keeping the rest pretty secret! My understanding is it will be ready 'mid summer'.
Whether we get to use the old track a little before its torn up I don't know, but worst comes to the worst most of the club are in favor of the idea of using our indoor racing track markers and jumps to mark our a grass track on one of the playing fields.

coleman758
23-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Bring a table, find a space if you can! We get a bit crowded at times but there is room in the corridor if need be. Turn up early to help set up and you get to nab the best pit spaces - only to have some gypsy turn up and steal half your table!

The new outdoor track is 'in process'. Woody has spoken with the developers, seems happy with the proposal and has agreed to it. And seems to be keeping the rest pretty secret! My understanding is it will be ready 'mid summer'.
Whether we get to use the old track a little before its torn up I don't know, but worst comes to the worst most of the club are in favor of the idea of using our indoor racing track markers and jumps to mark our a grass track on one of the playing fields.

Haha! I need to find a table then! Looks like il be on the floor or sharing! Hahaa

coleman758
23-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Also I'm fitting out my B4 with my Orca kit at the moment. But the sensor lead is tiny and won't reach. Do theses need to be run all the time? If so ca you buy longer ones?

Si Coe
23-02-2011, 10:58 PM
You can get longer ones. JE and Roundabout have longer versions in stock.

However, I believe your Orca system is sensored and sensorless, so you can run it without the lead. It will be harder to drive as it loses some throttle control sensitivity but at least it will work. My LRP's won't work at all without a sensor lead.

EDIT - Actually I'm not sure now. The more expensive Orca systems are Sensored/sensorless, the 6X you've got I can't find any details for. It just describes it as 'fully sensored' which tends to suggest it does need the sensor lead.

coleman758
23-02-2011, 11:58 PM
I will try to get a lead ordered. If I don't get it for Sunday does anyone have a spare that I could borrow/buy?

Si Coe
23-02-2011, 11:59 PM
I've got longer leads than I need, so could probably swap.

bigred5765
24-02-2011, 01:21 AM
just do a search on ebay for folding table u can get a good one for £30
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=folding+table&_sacat=See-All-Categories

mattb
24-02-2011, 09:29 PM
just do a search on ebay for folding table u can get a good one for £30
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=folding+table&_sacat=See-All-Categories Theres a nice teak one there with folding legs youd have loads of room on that:thumbsup:

coleman758
24-02-2011, 10:20 PM
haha! i drive an MGTF, (2 seater) so lets just say the boots not massive haha! so i need to check sizes!

The b4 is finished now anyway! At the moment ive still got my old 27mhz radio in but i will change that in the next few weeks.

Just need to get the battery and charger sorted. I've got to go to bolton model mart tomorrow to pickup my new shell. so il get ther other bits then.
appart from that! watch out sunday the newbies about!

Darren Wales
25-02-2011, 01:27 PM
haha! i drive an MGTF, (2 seater) so lets just say the boots not massive haha! so i need to check sizes!

The b4 is finished now anyway! At the moment ive still got my old 27mhz radio in but i will change that in the next few weeks.

Just need to get the battery and charger sorted. I've got to go to bolton model mart tomorrow to pickup my new shell. so il get ther other bits then.
appart from that! watch out sunday the newbies about!

Coleman,

How much did is the B4 shell from Bolton? and is it painted?

Im after a new B4.1 shell painted.

cheers

Darren

coleman758
25-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Coleman,

How much did is the B4 shell from Bolton? and is it painted?

Im after a new B4.1 shell painted.

cheers

Darren

They are clear, but they are about £17.00.
i have one forsale. i painted it but i didn't like it. the paints fine. just don't like the design. whats your e-mail? i can send you a pic?