View Full Version : Beville Washers - YUCK!!
markwilliamson2001
20-11-2007, 02:36 PM
After using a number of cars of the last 14 years or so of racing, I cannot understand why Losi insist on using beville washers for the XX4's diffs and Slipper shaft.
Has anyone tried an AE diff spring instead of the washers, and was it easier to set the diff up when rebuilding etc etc? I just can't seem to get the diffs set exactly as I want in the XX4, and it was very easy when I had my B4!!
Thanks for looking
Mark
Southwell
20-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Ive never had a problem with mine setting correctly. Have you tried changing the locknut and washers/ thrust race?
markwilliamson2001
20-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Ian, they work fine, but tightening is tricker than on the b4, since the beville washers tend to bite slightly. They also flatten off after a while, so become useless as a spring. I just remember how easy it was to set the B4 diff up (fit and forget senario). I might give it a try (with a spring instead of the washers) and see how it goes.
Will report back!
Mark
BTW changed ackerman, and preffered the inside holes indoors at Dudley on Sunday.
MiCk B.
20-11-2007, 02:47 PM
I think that this is what you are looking for. For me a definite improvement on the stock losi diff.
http://www.losipartshouse.com/catalog/LOSA2908-250.jpg
LOSA2908 Monster Diff Square Spring/ Screw Set
REPLACEMENT FOR LOSA2909
MiCk B. :-)
Southwell
20-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Yeh i understand. Can you get a spring short enough, or will a b4 one fit? I cant see a problem with it to be honist, id be interested to hear what you think!
^^^^
That answers your question :D i forgot they did that!
markwilliamson2001
20-11-2007, 02:58 PM
I have a b4 I can try a spring from, will fiddle tonight and get back to you!
Mark
Danny McGee
20-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Was going to say i run a spring in both my cars. Losi now do the spring instead of the washers. I used to replace those all the time so am glad they sorted that out :)
super__dan
20-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Oh dear Mark, you may now kick yourself but the 'Monster' diff screw has been an ugrade for AGES. And yes it does indeed make it much easier to set and consistant ;)
anoolite76
20-11-2007, 06:48 PM
I cannot understand why Losi insist on using beville washers for the XX4's diffs and Slipper shaft.
This is why I started my "complaint" thread, Mark. These are things that Losi should have resolved a LONG time ago.
markwilliamson2001
20-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Damn shame, pity its so expensive though...
Might try a diff spring from an RC10B4 first. Does anyone change the beville washers on the slipper shaft for the slipper clutch to a spring as well?
Mark
super__dan
21-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Isn't it about 3 quid inc a new T nut? Money well spent I would say.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.