View Full Version : Ardent Raceway and HPI 24hr Le Mans RC challenge!!
lotussmart
17-03-2011, 08:53 PM
http://www.ardentracing.com/raceway/images/24hrracelogo.png
Ardent Raceway and HPI 24hr Le Mans Sprint Challenge.
From 15:00 on 11th June to 15:00 on 12th June.
We are looking for a minimum of 8 teams and a maximum of 13 teams of 6 people to take part in the Ardent Raceway 24hr Le Mans Sprint Challenge. Cost is just £25 per person and INCLUDES THE CAR!! (well, you wouldn’t want to use your own would you!).
The car we have selected after weeks of testing is the HPI Sprint 2 as pictured below.
http://www.ardentracing.com/raceway/images/24hrrace.png
You receive your car 1 week before the event to enable you to customise and to fit your LED lighting kit (also included, and YES we are going to do some dusk racing).
The tyre choice will be announced before the date along with the number of tyres you are permitted. Spares will be provided at cost (but of course you won’t need them because these cars are solid beasts!!)
The observant ones of you would have noticed this date is the same as the real 1:1 Le Mans 24hr. That’s because we are going to run at exactly the same time and attempt to share the experience without the cost. Camping is free, either outside or indoors in small tents, as is sleeping on the floor under a pit bench. It’s bound to get messy and dirty, tiring and frustrating but you can be assured regardless of the outcome, it’s going to be a memory that lasts with you forever!
If you are interested but can’t find 4 others that are, then please let us know as I’m sure there will be others that you can make a team with.
http://www.ardentracing.com/raceway/images/24hrracered.png
So just to recap, 6 people (or less, but the overall team cost stays the same), 1 car, 24hrs, beer, BBQ, as many spectators and mechanics as you wish, you supply your own cells, chargers and radio gear, you can change the kit servo but not motor or speedo, LED lights must be fitted, setup changes to the car permitted and cars must be painted or stickered to identify your team. £25 a person and your team can keep the car or sell it afterwards or even raffle it on the day for charity, it is your choice!!! This is thanks to HPI I might add. Thank you HPI!!!
BONUS FEATURE, Saturday afternoon we will have Alice Cooper and System of a Down playing in a field nearby at the Download festival (please note due to the times we are racing we will not have trouble with event traffic)
We already have 5 teams committed and paid up so THIS EVENT IS GOING TO HAPPEN, so register your team ASAP by emailing
[email protected], payment is required in advance so we can buy the cars in ready.
Which team will win? Will your club be the champs? Will you come for the experience?? You won't need accommodation :-)
Best book Monday off work!!!!
stoff
17-03-2011, 09:02 PM
This sounds amazing!
sldmodels
17-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Have beeb wanting to do something like this for ages (think Ashby we're going to do something like this years ago).
Do we have to use the kit radio, and is that stick or trigger?
sldmodels
17-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Have beeb wanting to do something like this for ages (think Ashby we're going to do something like this years ago).
lotussmart
17-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Have beeb wanting to do something like this for ages (think Ashby we're going to do something like this years ago).
Do we have to use the kit radio, and is that stick or trigger?
No, you need to put your own radio gear in, so as a team you decide what you go for, or do you swap between the two? :-)
It is going to be an experience, I can't say a pleasant one, i'm sure after 18 hours you might be thinking WHY DID I DO THIS!! But it will be an event you look back on for years to come and for £1 an hour including a team car it has got to be good value for money :-)
stoff
17-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Is this the same weekend as the cotswolds national?
qatmix
18-03-2011, 07:15 AM
Looks ace! 24hrs would be quite gruelling as the combination of tiredness and drink would be quite brutal.
Still interested though
lotussmart
18-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Is this the same weekend as the cotswolds national?
It is, but we want to do it at the same time as Le Mans so we can watch it, hear it and experience it on our own 1:10 scale way. There are plenty of RC racers not doing the Cotswold National, so this gives them something exciting and interesting to do. Remember you get the car as part of your entrance fee, so anyone into RC racing can do it!! :-)
sldmodels
18-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Not sure if this is a question or a request, but gearing.
Can we change this, or, are we all to run the same gearing, as that might make it a bit more interesting too.
Battle_axe
18-03-2011, 11:21 AM
i am well interested in this is there electrics in the cars or is it a diy job? ha may have fun finding a team though as i am a buggy guy normally :thumbsup:
lotussmart
18-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Gearing can be changed, as can springs and any other adjustable components. Cars include servo, motor and speedo, so you need lipos and radio gear. Carl if you want to join a team then take a look at our posts on our Facebook Page, team Chand-a-Cola are looking for racing drivers :-)
Teams so far are Chand-a-Cola, Frome Racing Team, Team SPC-UK, Team Ardent, Derby Racing Team, HPI Racing Team, and we have bites from Worcester and Norwich. :-)
lotussmart
18-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Team MMR Flux / Chippenham MCC just booked a slot.
This sounds like a brilliant idea :woot:.
I can't take part but I bet its a fantastic event, especially with the house lights down and the headlights on!
jameswilkinson7
18-03-2011, 08:12 PM
This sounds like a brilliant idea :woot:.
I can't take part but I bet its a fantastic event, especially with the house lights down and the headlights on!
Why not... I'd be up for it
jampat2004
18-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Why not... I'd be up for it
yeah james lets get a team together im up for it
lotussmart
19-03-2011, 12:36 AM
Teams booked in so far:
Chand-a-Cola Racing Team
Frome Racing Team
SPC-UK Racing Team
Ardent Racing Team
Derby Model Car Club
HPI Racing Team
MMR Flux/ Chippenham Model Car Club
Doris Racing Team
And we have teams interested from Worcester and Norwich :-) It's going to be bloody brilliant!!!!
Shaun 'TheSheep' Atkinson
19-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Shame this clashes with a National :cry: Would have loved to do it...
cobra_shadow
19-03-2011, 12:35 PM
James me and Steve would be up for it too :thumbsup:
QuackingPlums
19-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Ooh, I'm tempted! I'm getting flashbacks of Donisthorpe already! Is Dez still looking for drivers?! :woot:
Battle_axe
19-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Sorry more questions the cells we are running must they be brca legal?
mattybucks
19-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Sorry more questions the cells we are killing must they be brca legal?
more like the above with a 24 hour race
Looks like Team Keighley is going for an entry :thumbsup:.
I've checked the callender and its all clear for us.
Lovin it! I can rig the lights to work on the 3rd channel, how ace would that look :woot:. It would be rude not to fit brake lights too.
jameswilkinson7
19-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Looks like Team Keighley is going for an entry :thumbsup:.
I've checked the callender and its all clear for us.
Lovin it! I can rig the lights to work on the 3rd channel, how ace would that look . It would be rude not to fit brake lights too.
Your only in it for the lights ar'nt you :woot:
lotussmart
19-03-2011, 11:48 PM
Sorry more questions the cells we are running must they be brca legal?
any 2 cell lipo or 6 cell NiMh. :-)
lotussmart
19-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Ooh, I'm tempted! I'm getting flashbacks of Donisthorpe already! Is Dez still looking for drivers?! :woot:
I believe so :-) Don't miss this one, it would be great to have you there ;-)
lotussmart
19-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Looks like Team Keighley is going for an entry :thumbsup:.
I've checked the callender and its all clear for us.
Lovin it! I can rig the lights to work on the 3rd channel, how ace would that look :woot:. It would be rude not to fit brake lights too.
Please confirm by emailing
[email protected] at your earliest opportunity, my next post will show you why.
lotussmart
19-03-2011, 11:51 PM
13 teams booked in so far:!! Room for 2 more at a push. :-)
Chand-a-Cola Racing Team
Frome Racing Team
SPC-UK Racing Team
Ardent Racing Team
Derby Model Car Club
HPI Racing Team
MMR Flux/ Chippenham Model Car Club
Doris Racing Team
RCDisCo Racing Team
Worcester Warriors (name tbc)
Team Richards
Percy Racing Team (name tbc)
Dan Brown Racing team (name tbc)
and we also have a club in Norwich interested!!! It's going to be awesome this one!!
If needed the Ardent and Derby Team could be combined so i'd say we could squeeze another 1 maybe 2 in maximum!!
Don't miss out!!
lotussmart
20-03-2011, 06:37 PM
These teams are fully paid up
--------------------------------------------------------
Ardent Racing Team (Paid in full)
MMR Flux/ Chippenham Model Car Club (Paid in full)
These have paid their deposits and have a guaranteed spot
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doris Racing Team (Deposit paid)
Worcester Warriors (Deposit Paid)
Dudley Radio Car Club (Deposit Paid)
Keighley Team A (Deposit Paid)
Keighley Team B (Deposit Paid)
Team Ward (name tbc) (Deposit Paid)
HPI Racing Team (Deposit Paid)
These need to pay their deposits before Tuesday otherwise I might have to let it go to the others I have on the reserve list :-0
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chand-a-Cola Racing Team (need deposit before Tuesday)
Frome Racing Team (need deposit before Tuesday)
SPC-UK Racing Team (need deposit before Tuesday)
RCDisCo Racing Team ((Need deposit before Tuesday)
Team Richards (Need deposit before Tuesday)
Percy Racing Team (name tbc) (Need deposit before Tuesday)
Dan Brown Racing team (name tbc) (Need deposit before Tuesday)
16 teams so 1, maybe 2, of the unconfirmed teams might have to be dropped. Awesome!!!
lotussmart
21-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Important - Team RCDisCo have stolen 4 of my team mates and I need to wreak revenge on them. Do you want to race for TEAM ARDENT? You must use sticks and in the best position to help me beat them! pm me if you are interested. Please do not be offended if I do not reply, I imagine I may get a few.
These teams are fully paid up
--------------------------------------------------------
Ardent Racing Team (Paid in full)
MMR Flux/ Chippenham Model Car Club (Paid in full)
These have paid their deposits and have a guaranteed spot
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doris Racing Team (Deposit paid)
Worcester Warriors (Deposit Paid)
Dudley Radio Car Club (Deposit Paid)
Keighley Team A (Deposit Paid)
Keighley Team B (Deposit Paid)
Team Ward (name tbc) (Deposit Paid)
HPI Racing Team (Deposit Paid)
Team Richards (Deposit Paid)
Chand-a-Cola Racing Team (Deposit Paid)
These need to pay their deposits before Tuesday otherwise I might have to let it go to the others I have on the reserve list :-0
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frome Racing Team (need deposit before Tuesday)
SPC-UK Racing Team (need deposit before Tuesday)
RCDisCo Racing Team ((Need deposit before Tuesday) Entry will be cancelled very quickly if I do not get deposit :-)
Percy Racing Team (name tbc) (Need deposit before Tuesday)
Dan Brown Racing team (name tbc) (Need deposit before Tuesday)
16 teams so 1, maybe 2, of the unconfirmed teams might have to be dropped. Awesome!!!
I've got a few questions about the cars and electrics, Am I ok to bug you now or am I best waiting for the next update? I'm super keen :woot:.
lotussmart
21-03-2011, 10:34 PM
I've got a few questions about the cars and electrics, Am I ok to bug you now or am I best waiting for the next update? I'm super keen :woot:.
Bug away, but before you do here's a bit more info/Q&A
Use your own lipo's We have managed to fit 5000 and 5600 cells in. Over this and it's tight so would have to do some nifty shim work on the top deck.
You only Marshal your own team car, if you touch another teams car you will get 10 penalty laps
Rostrum position is drawn out of a hat
You need to add servo, receiver, transmitter and battery to make the car work.
Any adjustable components on the car such as droop, ride height, weight, camber, caster, shock oil and springs can be changed.
Cars must remain stock apart from springs, pinions and spur gears.
We will publish a working setup 1 week prior to the event so you can get the cars performing well from the very start. This will be given to you with your shell and is done by someone who is not competing (most likely Andy Moore or Jonny Bowden)
The stock motor is a 15t, it is damn fast and gets pretty hot so we are doing some tests with 21t to see if we can increase life of a motor. Ideas around motors is that whatever we choose you can have up to 3 to help with performance, but we may allow you to have more if you are burning out motors.
BBQ and beer is bring your own, i.e. BBQ is there but you cook your own food, beer and other stuff is also up to you.
The RTR kits usually come with Red shells, we are having clear one's made especially for this event.
The car belongs to the team afterwards and we suggest you keep it as we are going to run this annually and you will be invited back each year.
Tyres, kit tyres are like drift tyres :-( so looking at around 32 compounds, grip/longevity compromise.
There will be night racing (more like dusk due to the pitting area illuminating the track
LED lights have to be fitted in the front and are provided
You can change the connectors
If you pit for any reason you have to do a driver change
Everyone gets 2 x random 5 minute scrutineering checks, teams can not touch the car during this time and the same driver goes back out after the check
Any other things I have not addressed :-)
Thats a few of my questions answred, but I have more :D
I know we're supposed to use the supplied ESC but does it have lipo cutoff? And if not can we use one that does or will we have to use a seperate lipo cutoff unit?
lotussmart
22-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Good question, of which there will be three answers:
1) We are hoping the new upgraded ESC will be available before the event, this has lipo cut off built in. If it is HPI are going to swap them for us.
2) If the new upgraded ESC is not available then you can fit a lipo cut off module
3) or you can just decide when the car is loosing power and stop immediately. This depends on all your drivers ability to detect this.
Hope that helps. :-)
I might invest in a cutoff unit just incase :).
Right, now for another one :D .....
The cars are 190mm but the RTR shells are 200mm with offset wheels and I'm assuming the supplied clear shells will also be 200mm so will the control tyre be availiable unglued so it can be mounted on offset rims to bring the car back upto 200mm?
lotussmart
22-03-2011, 05:41 PM
I might invest in a cutoff unit just incase :).
Right, now for another one :D .....
The cars are 190mm but the RTR shells are 200mm with offset wheels and I'm assuming the supplied clear shells will also be 200mm so will the control tyre be availiable unglued so it can be mounted on offset rims to bring the car back upto 200mm?
To be confirmed nearer the time. ;-)
sldmodels
22-03-2011, 05:47 PM
I know on the Novak smart stop one, it has an attached LED that flashes when you're near the cut off voltage. My plan was to run till this flashed then change over drivers.
Still looking for 4 more drivers for Team SLD Models (pm me via oople or via my facebook). Will be using my wheel control, but if you want to use sticks, as long your radio can take a Spektrum 2.4 module (that goes in the KO Helios) then module changing is an option.
lotussmart
22-03-2011, 11:43 PM
We did some more testing tonight, the kit 15T motor ran far too hot and so did the speedo, lap times were around 15.3 seconds, compared to a top 13.5 driver doing 12.5s, normal 13.5 without timing (what we call 'old school') were laping around the 15 mark. We then swapped the 15T for the 20T Saturn motor and geared up 6 teeth on the pinion. Laptimes came down to 15 dead and the motor and speedo were tepid after 20 minutes of constant running.
So we will be swapping the kit motors for Saturn 20Ts, and fix the gear ratios at 34t pinion and 78 spur to prevent over gearing and burnt motors.
After the motor testing we focused on tyres and found Sorex 28s had grip roll and Sorex 32s were perfect. Not the cheapest rubber but we think 2 sets might do the 24hrs. But we are not decided on this just yet. Whatever we choose we will provide them in kit form with the original HPI wheels for this kit, with the correct off-set as this is what looks best with the shells.
Clear plastic shells have been produced already for this event :-) Great work HPI.
After the testing tonight we fitted the LED kit and turned out the lights over the track. I have to say I was like a big kid and it bought back memories of watching my Scalextric cars with the lights dimmed. We even had the light casting a glow on the track markings and walls around the track as the car went around the corners and my laptimes were just half a second down. THIS IS GOING TO BE SOOOO MUCH FUN :-) I'm not going to be able to sleep until June!!!!
sldmodels
22-03-2011, 11:46 PM
I know Schumacher do the 32's cheaper for the BRCA and BTCC, but they also do a set with the JB insert (at the normal rrp) if that helps.
B3buggy
22-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Over this and it's tight so would have to do some nifty shim work on the top deck.
Cars must remain stock apart from springs, pinions and spur gears.
If you pit for any reason you have to do a driver change
Everyone gets 2 x random 5 minute scrutineering checks, teams can not touch the car during this time and the same driver goes back out after the check
This is going to be awesome!
Couple of quick questions, How stock is stock? Screws? Shimmed top deck?
Does the body have to be stock? Cooling holes?
What will be checked at the random scruitineering?
The driver change rule could be hectic, no long stints :-( how do you check the driver is always changed everytime you stop for cells?
Sometimes the less rules the better. Less things to check, Scruitineer and penalise for.
Single handout transponder? Or pt?
Getting itchy thumbs already! Just want to get racing!
Ross
Worcester warriors
sldmodels
22-03-2011, 11:52 PM
I can see problems with marshalling your own car, and possible (sorry for mentioning these three words) "health and safety" issues with people rushing to marshall cars. Wouldn't this just be easier by marshalling the way we're all used to, you race, then you marshall?
lotussmart
22-03-2011, 11:53 PM
This is going to be awesome!
Couple of quick questions, How stock is stock? Screws? Shimmed top deck?
Does the body have to be stock? Cooling holes?
What will be checked at the random scruitineering?
The driver change rule could be hectic, no long stints :-( how do you check the driver is always changed everytime you stop for cells?
Sometimes the less rules the better. Less things to check, Scruitineer and penalise for.
Single handout transponder? Or pt?
Getting itchy thumbs already! Just want to get racing!
Ross
Worcester warriors
Good point on the rules front, especially the driver changes, I might revise this one as I for one do not want to police it.
As far as the kit is concerned shims, screws, washers can be added.
lotussmart
22-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Just to clarify the team marshals the team's own car, the cars have reverse, so the only time the car will need marshalling is if it is broken or on it's roof. :-) You won't be running off the rostrum to marshal your own car, just your team will be walking to collect your car.
sldmodels
23-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Just to clarify the team marshals the team's own car, the cars have reverse, so the only time the car will need marshalling is if it is broken or on it's roof. :-) You won't be running off the rostrum to marshal your own car, just your team will be walking to collect your car.
I understand that, but if someone rolls onto their roof, and they're marshall is at the other side of the track, my instinct, and I'm guessing most others is to marshall that car anyway, rather than wait for my marshall to walk to run to the car.
So, I'm going to invest in a shre-meck :p
lotussmart
23-03-2011, 12:06 AM
NOW FULLY BOOKED!!!
15 teams, and these are the lucky ones. If you have a team and are looking for drivers please post here as I am directing everyone to this thread.
The lucky teams are as follows in no particular order:
Ardent Racing Team (Paid in full)
MMR Flux/ Chippenham Model Car Club (Paid in full)
Doris Racing Team (Deposit paid)
Worcester Warriors (Deposit Paid)
Dudley Radio Car Club (Deposit Paid)
Keighley Team A (Deposit Paid)
Keighley Team B (Deposit Paid)
Team Ward (name tbc) (Deposit Paid)
HPI Racing Team (Deposit Paid)
Team Richards (Deposit Paid)
Chand-a-Cola Racing Team (Deposit Paid)
SPC-UK Racing Team (Deposit Paid)
RCDisCo Racing Team (Deposit Paid)
Dan Brown Racing team (Name tbc) (Deposit Guaranteed Saturday)
Percy Racing Team (name tbc) Deposit Guaranteed this weekend)
With this we have our 15 teams!!!!! Congratulations all of you, you are about to experience something that will last in your minds forever and a room, buzzing with competition, laughter, 90 people and 15 teams all wanting to win. I personally can not think of ANYTHING better.
lotussmart
23-03-2011, 12:12 AM
I understand that, but if someone rolls onto their roof, and they're marshall is at the other side of the track, my instinct, and I'm guessing most others is to marshall that car anyway, rather than wait for my marshall to walk to run to the car.
So, I'm going to invest in a shre-meck :p
And if you did marshal that other team's car you would get a 10 lap penalty. :-)
lotussmart
23-03-2011, 12:14 AM
87 tooth 'kit' spur and 34 tooth pinion, I read it upside down :-)
QuackingPlums
23-03-2011, 01:31 AM
Wow, with only six drivers in a team that's a lot of roles to cover:
1x driver
1x charger
1x driver-in-waiting (for changeovers)
and at least 1 marshal
Better tear up that sleep-rota! :drool:
Will there be rules about walking across the track to recover upturned cars? Will marshals have to be designated (and wearing their hi-viz, especially during the dusk session!)?
sldmodels
23-03-2011, 03:15 AM
6 drivers per team, but as many mechanics as you want, so you could drive, marshall, go to sleep while your other half, children, office tea boy / girl charges your cells, preps your tyres etc.
lotussmart
23-03-2011, 08:20 AM
Wow, with only six drivers in a team that's a lot of roles to cover:
1x driver
1x charger
1x driver-in-waiting (for changeovers)
and at least 1 marshal
Better tear up that sleep-rota! :drool:
Will there be rules about walking across the track to recover upturned cars? Will marshals have to be designated (and wearing their hi-viz, especially during the dusk session!)?
Happy birthday by the way :-) yes you will have to wear your Hi Viz jacket. I would have the next driver to do the marshalling armed with a new lipo, that way they can see how the race is currently unfolding and how the car is currently handling also they are there as soon as the car runs flat so can switch straight away and I would have old driver and new driver do the battery change together. That way the other 4 are used for charging and maintenance. I worked it out that you would get at least an hours break :-)
Cars will also have lights on so marshals can see cars coming.
SuperSparkSteve
23-03-2011, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE=lotussmart;478757]
So we will be swapping the kit motors for Saturn 20Ts.[QUOTE]
There good motors, nice and cheap too! Will there be a limit on how many motors you can use?
Swalls
23-03-2011, 01:10 PM
I'm wondering what the lapping situation is gonna be? I think every pass should be a racing one, cos after a few hours its unlikely many people will be on the same lap, so it'll be crap if we just have to move over, there won't be any racing. Yea so I say no moving over, it has to be an overtaking move every time you want past someone. What'ya think?
V1nce
23-03-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm wondering what the lapping situation is gonna be? I think every pass should be a racing one, cos after a few hours its unlikely many people will be on the same lap, so it'll be crap if we just have to move over, there won't be any racing. Yea so I say no moving over, it has to be an overtaking move every time you want past someone. What'ya think?
Someone needs to put some R&D into a scaled down version of the 3 light LED system used on the side of the cars in ACO endurance events :lol:
I suspect projecting the timing screen onto the wall to act as a leader board may be a simpler option. Then its just common sense whether you defend or let by. No point racing/risking an accident with someone that’s 20 laps up or down on you.
Swalls
23-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Someone needs to put some R&D into a scaled down version of the 3 light LED system used on the side of the cars in ACO endurance events :lol:
I suspect projecting the timing screen onto the wall to act as a leader board may be a simpler option. Then its just common sense whether you defend or let by. No point racing/risking an accident with someone that’s 20 laps up or down on you.
But after only a short while almost no-one will be on the same lap? So if you just move to let lapped people by it'll be properly boring as there will be almost no racing at all, it'll just be a 24hr long time trial. I'm not suggesting people have each other off, nice clean racing, but racing for every pass. If you are that fast then it won't take you long to pass anyway. Its just a thought as I want this to be as exciting as possible.
V1nce
23-03-2011, 04:27 PM
U'll end up picking your way through traffic anyway... can you imagine the crap offline after a few hours? I'm not going out there for no bugger. :lol:
V1nce
23-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Double post
QuackingPlums
23-03-2011, 06:04 PM
As Swallis says - the field really isn't going to be THAT close after 5000 laps so there's probably no point in enforcing that rule, unless it turns out through some fluke that there really is a fight between first and second place or something!
On another note: will the cafe be open all night? If not, can I bring my espresso machine? :woot::lol:
Steve.T
23-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Does any team need a driver?
Swalls
23-03-2011, 06:39 PM
As Swallis says - the field really isn't going to be THAT close after 5000 laps so there's probably no point in enforcing that rule, unless it turns out through some fluke that there really is a fight between first and second place or something!
On another note: will the cafe be open all night? If not, can I bring my espresso machine? :woot::lol:
Beer and Relentless (or should that be Kick Energy?) is all you need.:woot: Saying that though I'll probably quite fancy a brew at some point.
So are we saying no letting peeps by? Unless you really want to of course, but thats a bit tame and boring of you if you do.:p
QuackingPlums
23-03-2011, 06:50 PM
So are we saying no letting peeps by? Unless you really want to of course, but thats a bit tame and boring of you if you do.:p
I don't make the rules, but I'm sure John will want to keep it both interesting and competitive so I trust him to make the right decision... I don't even have a confirmed team drive yet so I don't know why I'm chipping in! :lol:
lotussmart
23-03-2011, 07:36 PM
I don't make the rules, but I'm sure John will want to keep it both interesting and competitive so I trust him to make the right decision... I don't even have a confirmed team drive yet so I don't know why I'm chipping in! :lol:
We are racers, what's this moving over to let another team by??? Try policing that, I for one have winning on my mind :-)
Eric try Dez, he's after drivers with wheel transmitters.
Motors you will get 1 motor and another 2 you can purchase for performance advantages. If you reach your limit but the motor expires/burns out, you can purchase more. However I think with the gearing we have chosen the Saturn could well last 24 hours.
I'm going to have to build a webpage with the rules on as i'm getting questions that have already been answered, not your problem, just an observation and an action for me this evening :-)
Swalls
23-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Excellent, I ain't moving for no fool!
SlowOne
23-03-2011, 09:09 PM
This moving over lark...
I do notice that in the real race, the slower cars allow the faster cars through when lapping, and gain lap times by trying to stay in their slipstream. In general, the slower cars are courteous and don't want to spoil anyone's race. However, it often happens that a faster car collides with a slower car. I do hope we are going for realism in all respects... ;) :p
With the fixed gearing and motors there shouldn't be allot of difference in speed so overtakes could take a while and be very interesting :lol:. Its going to be all about the corners, so thats us stuffed :woot:.
jameswilkinson7
23-03-2011, 09:34 PM
so thats us stuffed :woot:.
Speak for yourself:p
If I remember correctly Ive beaten you on every outing with the TC's :thumbsup:.
jameswilkinson7
23-03-2011, 09:41 PM
If I remember correctly Ive beaten you on every outing with the TC's :thumbsup:.
Oh yeah, that old jem....
When you've only got the one trump card youve got to play it at every opertunity :lol:
Swalls
23-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Well my view is that if you are fast enough to be lapping people a lot then you shouldn't have much trouble getting by, so its not an issue. But if you are close in the race you are likely close on pace, so will have a good old ding dong. We have to try and make it as interesting for ourselves as possible for 24hrs.
Thats why I thought racing manoeuvres should have to be employed for any pass. But only if you want to, you could do the whole let them past and try to tag on, I guess the best way to put it is there is no rule saying you must let a lapping driver pass you. Just spices it up a bit.
On the speed issue. I can't remember the last time I overtook someone on raw power, it always been about the corners so this won't be any different really.
I wonder how the offroad crowd will fair with all this snoring car malarky? Can you nail your lines to get the lap time? Clipping stuff in TC is generally a bigger penalty, better get your precision thumbs out!
jameswilkinson7
23-03-2011, 09:45 PM
When you've only got the one trump card youve got to play it at every opertunity :lol:
You never raced against my t209 My corally was flawed and you know it!
99% of my onroad racing is at Halifax outdoor track so its all about taking the perfect lines and carrying as much speed as possible but this tight and twisty TC should be interesting, Altho I have some experience with mardaves and quite a bit with micro carpet racing :thumbsup:.
It might all go to pot on the day tho and I'll probably drive like a monkey with no fingers.
Swalls
23-03-2011, 10:02 PM
I reckon we'll all be driving like monkey's by the end, if uni taught me anything its that too much energy drink gives you the shakes, not good for car control! It's the drive home that worries me as well lol.
mcreeder
23-03-2011, 11:24 PM
I dont think lapping cars should have to fight for position. Maybe consider using Fabcount for the meeting, as it will warn drivers if they are being lapped.
Its more a tortoise and hare type of race than having lap by lap battles with lots of cars. 15 cars on track is going to be busy, so if you start trying to make a car that is lapping you fight for position, its just gonna get messy.
Having used the Saturn motors are much better quality than the 15T. Limiting the gearing is a good idea, as with that they, as John said, could last a whole 24hrs.
The spec of the cars for this race is acually quite similar to the 4WD GT class of the SPC. We are using the same Porsche 911GT3 RS shells, wide offset HPI wheels with Pit Shimizu D30 skicks, HPI Flux Pro 17.5T (probably not much faster than the Saturn 20T). You dont have to use a HPI Sprint 2 chassis, any touring car will do. Anyone wanting to get some practice is more than welcome to join us. We start the series at Ardent on April 17th. (We might be able to let you use a different tyre if they have been confirmed by then)
sldmodels
24-03-2011, 12:34 AM
you have to remember that this is an endurance race, so if you're going slower than someone, say on the straight, it helps everyone concerned to let people pass, as you're running low on juice, but it might still be better for you to stay out a while rather than change batteries.
Every car is likely to be in the same situation at some point of the race, and if you don't let people pass, and they take you out, accidentally or otherwise, that's precious time you'll be losing. Endurance racing is about tactics, rather than the quick sprints most of us are used to.
ps, I didn't get my team entered quick enough, so I'm looking at joining a team if there's space available.
Dez82
24-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Seems to me a lot of people are in for a bit of a surprise, just how steady and smooth you have to drive for a 24Hr race, how unexciting endurance can be compared to 5 minute sprints, it's the long game you are in for, no use blasting around and fighting for position if you are off track for ten minutes fixing your car!!
People will be courteous to other drivers, I know I will, anyone comes charging upto my bumper will be given the next corner smartish, I don't want to be in the pits repairing the damage you did to me car either! I'll pass you again when you hit the next car that doesn't give way.:thumbsup:
It's all about smooth driving for maximum run times and reliability, idiot proof battery changes, smooth efficient car built properly and carefully, good planning and team effort.
Oh and coping with adversity when it pops up and bites you in the arse! :p
hashiriya
24-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Dez as always speaks sense.
Although there might not be an official rule about letting people apst to lap, I think the sensible ones will be doing something like that anyways as it doesn't drain the driver anywhere near as much over longer times. The smarter teams will keep circulating at their own pace and getting longer duration out of tyres, batteries motors etc. whilst those working too hard will be in the pits replacing those same parts or even more.
lotussmart
24-03-2011, 08:06 PM
So who's racing in your team?
Ardent Racing Team
John Dawson (me)
Luke Hobson
Andy Carter
Chris Swallow
Moony
???? one other, three applicants to choose from without causing offence.
What about your team??
MMR Flux/ Chippenham Model Car Club (Paid in full)
Doris Racing Team (Deposit paid)
Worcester Warriors (Deposit Paid)
Dudley Radio Car Club (Deposit Paid)
Keighley Team A (Deposit Paid)
Keighley Team B (Deposit Paid)
Team Ward (name tbc) (Deposit Paid)
HPI Racing Team (Deposit Paid)
Team Richards (Deposit Paid)
Chand-a-Cola Racing Team (Deposit Paid)
SPC-UK Racing Team (Deposit Paid)
RCDisCo Racing Team (Deposit Paid)
Dan Brown Racing team (Name tbc) (Deposit Guaranteed Saturday)
Percy Racing Team (name tbc) Deposit Guaranteed this weekend)
mcreeder
24-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Team - SPC-UK (aka 'Spuk')
Drivers
Martin Reeder
Jonathan Vickery
Masaya Yumeda
Kevin Dent (tbc)
Mark Mitchell (tbc)
1 other SPC-UK driver
Team manager
Stephen Fabray (tbc)
Mechanics
2 other SPC-UK drivers
Dez82
25-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Ah that would be telling, I'll just say three slots are firm, the other three are pending trials ;-)
:D
Andysan
26-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Dudley Radio Car Club (Team Name TBC)
'Sneaky' Pete Partridge
James 'Your Tires Are Too Wide' Greener
Tom 'Country Boy' Dunham
Steven 'Woo It Down' Powis
Stephen 'PTO' Cockburn
Andrew 'Not Going To Make Up My Own Nickname' Fletcher
Hello to other team members - I probably speak for our team in seconding the co-operative approach. If a competitor team wants a ding-dong then we will happily comply in the spirit of competition, however they are welcome to come past also if quicker; we would however ask the same in return.
Looking forward to it already, has a date been set for the test session?
SlowOne
26-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Team Doris
Jason Butterfield, Peter Winton, Gavin Clinch, Keith Robertson, Paul Ash. We have 'maybes' for the final slot.
I am guessing that John will be organising a couple of practice slots for each team in the morning and then a couple of qualifying (six-minute) heats to decide the grid. In good Le Mans tradition, he'll have one of his 'rental' cars dolled up as the course car, and we'll be rolling round to start racing at 15:00 (we're an hour behind France!).
I hope that he will use any excuse to deploy said course car for us all during the race; "Oh look, there's a corner marker 2mm out of place - lights on!!"
It's good to see that most teams will be taking a friendly attitude towards the faster and slower cars. Team Doris are all National racers with much practice in the fine arts of passing ( ;) ) and the benefits to everyone of letting the faster cars go. To finish first, you must first finish.
Dez82
27-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Great to see Team Doris and Team Dudley have the right attitude, looking forward to it all the more now.
Rolling start? So no sprint to the rostrum and classic chevron pattern grid Le Mans style then? Shame.
Swalls
27-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Great to see Team Doris and Team Dudley have the right attitude, looking forward to it all the more now.
Loaded comment? I think maybe what I've said before has been taken out proportion or maybe came across as a bit hot headed, clearly if someone is a billion miles quicker than me it would be foolish to get tangled up. I'm not there to get up in anyones grill and ruin what will be a massively fun weekend. I just want to make sure there are plenty of 'ding-dongs' thats all. You know, a good laugh but lots of competitive racing as well. Anyway, I plan on not being slower than anyone so hopefully letting peeps past won't be an issue :woot:
Andysan
27-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Great to see Team Doris and Team Dudley have the right attitude, looking forward to it all the more now.
Rolling start? So no sprint to the rostrum and classic chevron pattern grid Le Mans style then? Shame.
Nope, very much modern day Le Mans - we will be running a bio-ethanol HPI Sprint!:woot:
Dez82
27-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Loaded comment?
Not at all chap, just nice to see teams with the same plan, to get to the end as cheap as possible with the least hassle.
Have you driven a HPI Sprint2 on a Saturn 20T motor yet? I have and I can tell you it's not going to set the carpet alight and as every car will be geared the same I doubt there wil be much passing at all. But 15 cars on track will be like the worst pre-race free practice session you've ever seen without a little common courtesy.
Swalls
27-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Yea 'back in the day' I used to race a lot of 27t stock, I'm still trying to shrug off the one-way style of driving even now after being back in the sport for bout 8 months. So hopefully I can have the patience and experience with a car like this, with this kind of power. Most cars in any class have the same speed, so I can''t see equal power as a reason for there not being any overtaking.
I don't think anyone is going out there to not be a courteous and disciplined driver , it is going to be a little mad like you say with 15 cars. But I can be courteous and still plenty racy, there is no reason why we can't all have some close, clean racing :) Like I said, I just don't want it to end up being a 24hr bore.
I mean, I have no idea who the slowest team will be, but with 14 other cars on track, they are going to struggle to have one lap where they aren't moving over for someone. Thats no fun for them, so as long as we can race close and clean I don't see why they shouldn't make it a bit of a fight, at least with some of the cars that are only slightly faster. I hope you can sort of see where I'm coming from.
Can't wait for the banter as well, this should be a massively fun weekend.
Browny_37
27-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Deposit is paid up via paypal Mr Dawson
Donny Racing Team (D.R.T) is going to be bringing up the competition and a whole lot of banter.
Better get your contact solution ready Swalls, its going to be one hell of a drunkfest :) :thumbsup:
Swalls
28-03-2011, 12:34 AM
'contact solution' :thumbsup:
I've heard Jean Paul Gautier is the best. Failing that a bit of Gillette ;)
Hehe, seriously though I think I'm gonna have to scare some of you with my specs. I'll have to wear them a some point to give the eyes a bit of a breather, and my eyes will look HUGE cos I have milk bottom specs :thumbsup:
SlowOne
28-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Dez, if we're sprinting to the rostrum, then Team Doris will be a lap down before we start!! Trust there will be no such bunfight!!
Passing is going to be a chore, so I hope John's track design includes either a big wide straight so we can operate the usual 'crowded track; etiquette (pass on the left, be passed on the left) and/or a couple of wide(r) corners that we can use to pull over without losing loads of time.
If the cars are slow, then hopefully there will be a tight infield section too, so the best drivers can make up time with good lines. In there, we can battle and give each other respect, always a challenge to get your lines right so you have the speed on the straight to make the pass.
Whatever, greatly looking forward to it.
jasonb
28-03-2011, 09:02 PM
So just caught up with this thread looking forward to this, hope to catch up with John and Dez at the weekend to chew the fat. Like the idea of drivers being able to double or tripple stint and only marshalling your own teams car.
To finish first first you must finish, a lesson Peugot learnt the hard way las year!
Jason
Dez82
28-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Here are some numbers for you to chew on.
24 Hrs = 1440 minutes = 86400 seconds, so at approx 15 seconds per lap that = 5760 laps total, divided by 6 drivers = 960 each.
That doesn't sound so bad now does it.
But imagine you are 1 second faster than anothers team at pit stops, working on 48 pit stops that gives you a 48 second advantage, now imagine you are just 0.25 seconds per lap faster than another car, that's a whopping 24 minutes advantage.
I timed some battery changes, got it down to 15 seconds, so that's 48 laps lost in battery changes working on half hour run times.
So max laps = 5712 laps max estimated.
Let's see who gets closest to that.
Who is up for a wager?
First team to break something and need to stop for repairs.
First car to emit smoke.
First team to plug a flat battery in and have to stop again immediatly.
First team to shred a drive belt.
First team to blow a tyre.
First car to physically leave the track without human input (!)
First team to change wheels and miss a drive pin under the hex.
Swalls
28-03-2011, 09:23 PM
I bet on Donny for the lot there :p haha
Is the control tyre defo Sorex 32r, and can we get them anywere we like?
lukehobson
28-03-2011, 10:25 PM
"IF" the control tyre was the sorex 32, it will be the loose tyres, as they will be used with the std kit wheels...
hth
luke
lotussmart
28-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Is the control tyre defo Sorex 32r, and can we get them anywere we like?
No please don't go ahead and buy them until we know for sure. Info on how to obtain them will be provided shortly. if we are supplying them please note they will be at a very favourable price and we thing you might get away with just 2 sets for the entire 24hrs. More testing will show us if this is possible.
Some more info/rules posted at http://www.ardentracing.com/raceway/24hr.php
lotussmart
28-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Note Some more info/rules posted at http://www.ardentracing.com/raceway/24hr.php
Andysan
28-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Note Some more info/rules posted at http://www.ardentracing.com/raceway/24hr.php
Thanks for this - I just read "forced ‘Wet Weather’ simulation stint" and got slightly over-excited.:woot:
The only thing that I would query is regarding when we actually receive the car. We plan on replacing the radio gear with our own familiar set and possibly applying our own setup & improvements as far as the rules allow. How long will the test session be please? If its all day then this isnt much of a problem, if its only two hours then we wouldnt be able to get the car out on track in time with these changes made. Could we have the car any earlier in order to prep it please?
Is the test session across both days or just the one please:
The motor will be a Saturn 20, so will have to be installed at test day on Sunday May 29th.
But also:
Shells can be collected shortly so you have plenty of time to get it painted before the official test and shakedown day on Saturday 28th May
????????
Also, our team name 'Dudley Radio Car Club' will almost definitely change - is there a deadline or anything for this please?
Thanks to everyone at Ardent for organizing such a great event - you guys rock! (Can we have ten extra laps now please?):thumbsup:
Dez82
29-03-2011, 03:04 AM
Some good rules there John :thumbsup:
Question - do we have to run the black rims, can HPI supply the chrome or white version too please? Black will look rubbish on my car ;-)
I'd like three sets of
white 3mm offset fronts http://www.hpiracing.co.uk/piw.php?partNo=3840
and
white 6mm offset rears . http://www.hpiracing.co.uk/piw.php?partNo=3845
please.
The offsets are same as kit, I checked ;-)
But these same rims are available in 0mm, 3mm and 6mm offsets, and White, Black or Chrome, just in case anyone was wondering,
V1nce
29-03-2011, 09:57 AM
forced ‘Wet Weather’ simulation stint
Was Bernie Ecclestone at Ardent and not as widely reported New York last weekend? :lol:
jasonb
29-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Some good rules there John :thumbsup:
Question - do we have to run the black rims, can HPI supply the chrome or white version too please? Black will look rubbish on my car ;-)
I'd like three sets of
white 3mm offset fronts http://www.hpiracing.co.uk/piw.php?partNo=3840
and
white 6mm offset rears . http://www.hpiracing.co.uk/piw.php?partNo=3845
please.
The offsets are same as kit, I checked ;-)
But these same rims are available in 0mm, 3mm and 6mm offsets, and White, Black or Chrome, just in case anyone was wondering,
So are we going to be running 24mm tyres on 26mm wheels??????
Jason
Dez82
29-03-2011, 11:47 AM
If so, and seeing as how slow the car is on a 20T Saturn, maybe we won't have to glue the tyres on, bliss ;-)
mcreeder
29-03-2011, 02:50 PM
So are we going to be running 24mm tyres on 26mm wheels??????
Jason
Its ok, we are running this sort of combination in the SPC this year with the 911 GT3 RS shells. We have tested with various medium narrow tyres on 26mm rims and sorex tyres work fine, as do Pit Shimizu. HPI did look into using the Challenge 30 tyres on 26mm rims, but they didnt quite fit properly.
mcreeder
30-03-2011, 01:05 AM
Might it be a good idea to pre warn of paint schemes for cars. With tired eyes and a period of night/dusky racing, its might help if there are not clashes. I am assuming Team Chand-a-Cola will be red with a well known fizzy pop logo on it. So if another car was to turn up in red with some form of white strip or advertising down the side, its going to make things a bit confusing (marshals need to be able to distinguish between cars quickly as well)
For example (and this is not confirmed) but the 'Spuk' team might be racing a design similar to this one
http://www.superproductioncup.co.uk/images/DSC_8696sml.JPG
Browny_37
30-03-2011, 01:24 AM
I've heard Jean Paul Gautier is the best. Failing that a bit of Gillette ;)
Hehe, seriously though I think I'm gonna have to scare some of you with my specs. I'll have to wear them a some point to give the eyes a bit of a breather, and my eyes will look HUGE cos I have milk bottom specs :thumbsup:
Be right dude, were already used to your somewhat uncharming looks :lol:
Dez82
30-03-2011, 10:48 AM
BUSTED! Yeah you know what colour my car will be - too easy, but I'm hoping to use white wheels to help spot my car a little easier, and it'll have a lot more white around the front than usual. It's upto Tels Shells what it finally looks like though.
lotussmart
30-03-2011, 05:16 PM
We have another opening for a team, one just dropped out! anyone interested, first to email me gets the slot for 1 day until deposit is paid.
jasonb
30-03-2011, 09:05 PM
We have another opening for a team, one just dropped out! anyone interested, first to email me gets the slot for 1 day until deposit is paid.
Disapointed to hear but on the other had it does mean Doris Racing is another driver to the good:thumbsup: and he should know a thing or two about these beasts;)
Jason
Dez82
30-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Who Bailed?
mini-ripper
30-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Team members
Ian Harris
Phil Johnson
Adrian Simpson
Jay Millbank
James Alexander
Gareth Coates
mini-ripper
30-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Drivers stints.
I reckon all team drivers should have at the end of the race completed an equal amount of track time. I reckon keeps things square.
I have competed in the last 2 HPI baja endurances and in both the driver stints had to be equal. Stops one driver mostly the teams best driver being implanted on the rostrum with a red bull drip!
Marshalling
It's got to better to marshal in the traditional way. Each team has a numbered marshal point and they have to have a marshal at it at all times. No marshal at your point penalty simples.
Should you car break down it's upto the rest of the team to deal with.
Teams we are only allowed 6 drivers but we can have multiple support crew?
jameswilkinson7
30-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Team colours.
Keighley A:
We are thinking about going with the Gulf colour scheme...
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/6959/gulf.jpg (http://img600.imageshack.us/i/gulf.jpg/)
lotussmart
31-03-2011, 08:04 AM
Disapointed to hear but on the other had it does mean Doris Racing is another driver to the good:thumbsup: and he should know a thing or two about these beasts;)
Jason
James Stuart!! Yes he should know a thing or two. If I can't get the 15th Team I will create an Ardent Team Chaos and fill it with individuals who want to race but don't have a team.
SuperSparkSteve
31-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Is the test day on the 28th or 29th? Both days are mentioned on the website.
What time does the track open and close at on the test day?
Cheers, Steve.
Matt_N
31-03-2011, 11:54 AM
If there's any teams still looking for drivers, I'm up for it :)
mcreeder
31-03-2011, 03:31 PM
BUSTED! Yeah you know what colour my car will be - too easy, but I'm hoping to use white wheels to help spot my car a little easier, and it'll have a lot more white around the front than usual. It's upto Tels Shells what it finally looks like though.
Agree with you on the white wheels. Black ones look horrible.
Dez82
31-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Team Chand-a-Cola Racing Team Members Confirmed, and their special skills as requested :thumbsup:
Dez Chand, doesn't crash, uses S/wheel and can stay awake for weeks!
Simon Taylor, uses S/wheel, a good clean racer, & local 'Red Hoody'.
Lee Carr, uses S/wheel, Gentleman Racer, always smiling.
Erik Li-Koo, uses S/wheel, genuinely happy character, positive outlook.
Two last places are currently under review pending track tests. All I'll say is it was a very hard choice from a very long list, some that won't make the cut are happy to attend and help as crew which is great, should be a lot of fun.
Thanks to all that requested a slot and I hope another team has room for you, especially all you Stick addicts :thumbdown::p.
mcreeder
31-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Team Chand-a-Cola Racing Team Members Confirmed, and their special skills as requested :thumbsup:
Dez Chand, doesn't crash, uses S/wheel and can stay awake for weeks!
Simon Taylor, uses S/wheel, a good clean racer, & local 'Red Hoody'.
Lee Carr, uses S/wheel, Gentleman Racer, always smiling.
Erik Li-Koo, uses S/wheel, genuinely happy character, positive outlook.
Two last places are currently under review pending track tests. All I'll say is it was a very hard choice from a very long list, some that won't make the cut are happy to attend and help as crew which is great, should be a lot of fun.
Thanks to all that requested a slot and I hope another team has room for you, especially all you Stick addicts :thumbdown::p.
Do you have enough other drivers to take the spare spot as 'Team Diet Chand-a-Cola'?
Ive got a few questions that arn't in the FAQ :)
Ive got my eye on some none kit standard HPI wheels (same offset, different design), can we use these and can we get them from anywhere or do we have to buy all parts through Ardent?
When and how will we recieve the bodyshell?
After the test can we take the cars back home or do we have to leave them there?
To be honest I'm not sure about testing the car the same day we recieve it :cry:. I planned to strip it, rebuild it, install everything properly and apply my setup before it ever hits the track. Its going to be a impossible to do this in one morning at the track. Can we not get the cars before the test day?
Cheers.
Dez82
31-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Do you have enough other drivers to take the spare spot as 'Team Diet Chand-a-Cola'?
Funny Martin, I did suggest that, and as a Diet team runing "Sticks" it would be more appropriate ;)
lotussmart
31-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Is the test day on the 28th or 29th? Both days are mentioned on the website.
What time does the track open and close at on the test day?
Cheers, Steve.
It's both days, Saturday and/or Sunday. Saturday is just an open practice day, Sunday is a race day. You can do one, or both days if you wish. £5 for 4 hours on the Saturday, £8 on the Sunday race day, special heat for the 24hr cars. :-)
Dez82
31-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Sounds like a fun weekend, practice and set up on Saturday, racing on Sunday, might even stay up all night just to practice driving while incapacitated.
lotussmart
31-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Ive got a few questions that arn't in the FAQ :)
Ive got my eye on some none kit standard HPI wheels (same offset, different design), can we use these and can we get them from anywhere or do we have to buy all parts through Ardent?
We are asking HPI to come armed with the wheels and tyres on the day as the kit tyres have proven to be fine and hard wearing and they are cheap. (the original set we tried and dismissed turned out to be over 12 months old so were like plastic). You get one complete set, full sets are then available for just £19.99. As HPI are kindly setting these aside for us it would be nice if we used them. Ardent are passing all discounts on to you and HPI are being very generous on the discounts and by setting stock aside for us. :-) Feel free to vinyl or spray the wheels.
When and how will we recieve the bodyshell?
They will be at the track from Tuesday 5th April, if you can't collect then let me know and we can post yours to you, but you will have to cough up for the p&p ;-).
After the test can we take the cars back home or do we have to leave them there?
Take back home. I don't trust myself with your cars :-) Sabotage!!!
To be honest I'm not sure about testing the car the same day we recieve it :cry:. I planned to strip it, rebuild it, install everything properly and apply my setup before it ever hits the track. Its going to be a impossible to do this in one morning at the track. Can we not get the cars before the test day?
That's a very fair point, how about we say teams that have paid in full can have them the week starting the 16th May. That gives you time to prep the cars before the test and PR day.
Thank you for your questions.
Swalls
31-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Sounds like a fun weekend, practice and set up on Saturday, racing on Sunday, might even stay up all night just to practice driving while incapacitated.
Plan. This could be the sebring 12hrs :lol:
lotussmart
31-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Check out the team stats added to website. I want one for each team so tell me your ratings and I will create a table for you :-)
http://www.ardentracing.com/raceway/24hr.php
Here's a taster
http://www.ardentracing.com/raceway/images/ardentteamstats.png
mini-ripper
31-03-2011, 08:57 PM
How many are we allowed to buy?
I assume we will be expected to run with a mostly complete shell.
mcreeder
31-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Does this mean you have decided on the tyres now John? HPI kit tyres (X-Pattern)
Do we have to buy the tyres from you? As I already have some of these unused.
lotussmart
31-03-2011, 09:03 PM
How many are we allowed to buy?
I assume we will be expected to run with a mostly complete shell.
One shell only per team. Gaffa tape at the ready. Concourse done after the 24hrs. :-)
lotussmart
31-03-2011, 09:05 PM
In reply to mcreeder
Yes, afraid so as we will be marking them so we know how many sets the teams have been allocated.
mini-ripper
31-03-2011, 09:06 PM
One shell only per team. Gaffa tape at the ready. Concourse done after the 24hrs. :-)
Haha mint 24 hrs on one shell! Has that been done? Shoe goo on route!
mcreeder
31-03-2011, 09:08 PM
In reply to mcreeder
Yes, afraid so as we will be marking them so we know how many sets the teams have been allocated.
And they are the kit tyres?
Dez82
31-03-2011, 09:22 PM
I trust the three sets of tyres we get allocated to race will be supplied on the Saturday morning for us to glue up there and then, so we can't take them home for a week previous to soften up??
PS I want 3 sets of white rims please Mr HPI please pretty please!:wub
Do they do a white rear wing too? If not I can see me getting through a lot of tyre wall paint stick :lol:
mcreeder
31-03-2011, 09:30 PM
There is a pre-glued version shown on the HPI website. These might be a better option for keeping things 'controlled', plus they are not black either, they are Chrome!!
http://www.hpieurope.com/graphics/parts/4734/w_4733_01.jpg
lotussmart
31-03-2011, 10:07 PM
And they are the kit tyres?
Yes, the ones I originally tested were off a 1 yr old car that had been sat at HPI, they were like plastic. They gave me another kit to photograph and I noticed the tyres were very different, so I stuck some additive on and matched my time with the Sorex 32s. It's a HPI event, kit tyres fit the right offset, they are cheap, hard wearing and available in the bucket loads on sale or return. Had to be the tyre of choice for this event with so much in their favour :-)
lotussmart
31-03-2011, 10:08 PM
There is a pre-glued version shown on the HPI website. These might be a better option for keeping things 'controlled', plus they are not black either, they are Chrome!!
http://www.hpieurope.com/graphics/parts/4734/w_4733_01.jpg
HHmmmm :-) Nice
How long does the adative last on the car? Does it just need putting on once or every battery change ect ?
mini-ripper
31-03-2011, 10:11 PM
I like black rims.
They'll go better with our colour scheme.
mini-ripper
31-03-2011, 10:12 PM
How long does the adative last on the car? Does it just need putting on once or every battery change ect ?
It would need soak time. So unless you are going to swap tyres.
I don't expect we will even use it.
Good :) I dont want to be messing about with addative if I can help it.
lotussmart
31-03-2011, 10:29 PM
How long does the adative last on the car? Does it just need putting on once or every battery change ect ?
It's this type of tactic that will give a team an edge over the other. Additive only works if it has had time to soak in, therefore will only work if you are doing a tyre and wheel change when you can have them prepared in advance. Changing wheels for the sake of a smaller advantage may waste more time than you gain :-) But who knows what will work the best :-) There's only one way to find out........
mcreeder
31-03-2011, 11:54 PM
I don't know how available the pre-glued ones are, but it would be so much better. Otherwise you will get all sorts going on with un-prep'd tyres. Belting, soaking the inserts in additive (they are foam inserts not moulded) etc.
Additives will only last for so long, but it should still soften the tyres up a bit. I think the real trick is going to be getting and keeping the heat in the tyres.
How many sets of tyres are we going to be allowed John? Dez mentioned 3, but I am assuming it will still be 2 sets?
Dez - I dont think they do have a white rear wing. It does take a paint finish ok though as we have previously done some.
Dez82
01-04-2011, 07:51 AM
John mentioned three sets of tyres per team in an earlier post.
As for preglued, I'd much prefer that (on chrome or white rims) because most Preglued are better adhered than anything we could do on the spot and would be properly cured, if we get supplied tyres loose on the day and glue ourselves the odds of a tyre coming off are greatly increased, having said that it would add drama, and anyway these cars are not fast so the tyres won't be trying to fling themselves off like a modified car would.
Just need to know before I go buying three sets of white rims!
jasonb
01-04-2011, 12:00 PM
John mentioned three sets of tyres per team in an earlier post.
As for preglued, I'd much prefer that (on chrome or white rims) because most Preglued are better adhered than anything we could do on the spot and would be properly cured, if we get supplied tyres loose on the day and glue ourselves the odds of a tyre coming off are greatly increased, having said that it would add drama, and anyway these cars are not fast so the tyres won't be trying to fling themselves off like a modified car would.
Just need to know before I go buying three sets of white rims!
Beg to differ on that one Dez most pre glued tryes are shocking, badly seated not cleaned and come adrift far too easily. And on chrome wheels will be even worse and the chrome has a nasty habit of comming away from the plastic. I'd much rather be given white or black wheels, inserts and tyres and be made to sit in scrutineering and glue them up and get them marked. That way I can be sure they will be stay stuck and will be round. i'd Rather loose a tyre due to my own mistake rather than the lottery of tyres glued in China by some kid on $0.50 and hour.
Jason
lotussmart
01-04-2011, 04:08 PM
John mentioned three sets of tyres per team in an earlier post.
As for preglued, I'd much prefer that (on chrome or white rims) because most Preglued are better adhered than anything we could do on the spot and would be properly cured, if we get supplied tyres loose on the day and glue ourselves the odds of a tyre coming off are greatly increased, having said that it would add drama, and anyway these cars are not fast so the tyres won't be trying to fling themselves off like a modified car would.
Just need to know before I go buying three sets of white rims!
Right, here's the latest on tyres but before I do go down this route I honestly believe as a racer, looking at the handling and pace of these cars, clever tricks with inserts and inserts soaked in additive will make no difference at all as the car does not even break grip even with the kit tyres, that combined with being inundated with different wheel colour requests is causing me a headache, therefore......
......Each team has to run the KIT wheels and tyre set that comes with the car on the day. Then each team can use up to two MORE sets of tyres, on whatever rims and inserts you like (again I believe playing with inserts is completely pointless, you are far better focusing on tactics especially slick battery and driver changes).
For those happy with the kit wheels and inserts they will be there for you on the day, and we will have enough for every team. So come armed with 2 lots of your own wheels if you like and glue the tyres on. We will have these tyres on the test weekend. :-)
mcreeder
01-04-2011, 04:34 PM
So we can use moulded inserts in the extra sets of tyres? The kit tyres come with inserts, so I would have thought it would be better to stay with them
Craig W
01-04-2011, 04:41 PM
John so you saying any wheel 26 or 24mm 0 offset or have we got to run wheel with offset any insert
Dez82
01-04-2011, 06:59 PM
I'd Rather loose a tyre due to my own mistake rather than the lottery of tyres glued in China by some kid on $0.50 and hour. Jason
Fair point Jason :thumbsup:
John so long as the kit tyres come with inserts that's cool, have already ordered some white rims, as per kit design & offsets, just white (so no chrome to flake off!)
lotussmart
01-04-2011, 09:56 PM
So we can use moulded inserts in the extra sets of tyres? The kit tyres come with inserts, so I would have thought it would be better to stay with them
Yes I would just run with the inserts that come with the tyres, I don't see a performance advantage with messing around with inserts, especially not at this level.
JUST TO CLARIFY, on the day the wheels and tyres and inserts will be provided, all this talk of other wheels, colours and inserts are for teams concerned about appearance of their cars and they are choosing to supply their own wheels (not tyres). YOU DO NOT have to spend time researching, worrying and thinking you need to source wheels and inserts. Just leave them to it. Team Ardent will just be running the black kit wheels with the kit control tyre for example.
lotussmart
01-04-2011, 09:59 PM
John so you saying any wheel 26 or 24mm 0 offset or have we got to run wheel with offset any insert
I honestly don't know that answer to that one, which is why I would have preferred to just stick with kit wheels/tyres. All I know is you need to be able to get the Kit tyres on them. Dez or Martin might be able to answer it for you. If in doubt just let us supply you with the black wheels, tyres and inserts for £19.99.
mcreeder
01-04-2011, 10:16 PM
I think the any wheel rule should be refering to any 26mm HPI wheels, would keep it sensible. This would just allow you to use different colours and design of wheels from the HPI 26mm range (http://www.hpiracing.co.uk/catalogue.php?brand=&pg=W10TW&ag=10TW26&dr=0). Offset should stay as 3mm front and 6mm rear, as otherwise the wheels and tyres would not look right in the 200mm shell.
Dez82
01-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Good point, surely HPI can offer us 26mm 3mm/6mm offset rims at a good price from their range?
Also, can I ask, is an extended front bumper foam a legal modifcation, the body folds back so far before it hits the kit bumper than the wheel arches split pretty easily, if I'm getting a pretty paint job done I want it to last as long as possible. These cars have no go so they may as well be all show :thumbsup:
mcreeder
01-04-2011, 10:43 PM
... if I'm getting a pretty paint job done I want it to last as long as possible.
You have decided against your usual design then? :p
Dez82
01-04-2011, 11:31 PM
I'll tell Terry at Tels Shells you said that :cry:
The stock speedo retails at about £30 (UK), will replacemants be avaliable on the day and how much discount can we get if we need one? :)
Craig W
02-04-2011, 01:50 PM
I honestly don't know that answer to that one, which is why I would have preferred to just stick with kit wheels/tyres. All I know is you need to be able to get the Kit tyres on them. Dez or Martin might be able to answer it for you. If in doubt just let us supply you with the black wheels, tyres and inserts for £19.99.
Is that 19.99 for all 4
Swalls
02-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Is that 19.99 for all 4
Pretty sure thats a yes.
lotussmart
02-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Is that 19.99 for all 4
Yes, 19.99 for 4 wheels and tyres, special price from HPI. Told you it would be a cheap event :-). 24 hrs of RC racing with your mates, a car included and control tyres that will likely last 12 hrs a set and cost just 19.99!!. We are cheap skates!! :-)
Swalls
02-04-2011, 08:59 PM
We are cheap skates!! :-)
And all the better off for it JD! Jags aren't cheap eh!
chris_blakey
03-04-2011, 01:35 PM
if we are using the kit tyres now, how is the wet weather stint going to be done??
Dez82
03-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Good question, the kit tyres are so much like drifting already the only alternative is proper drift tyres, HPI do some, but would each team have to buy a set or would HPI throw them into the deal perhaps?
We did a lot of race testing at Ardent today, the kit tyres are horrible, didn't like additive, didn't like warmers, droop screw settings made no difference to the handling even when completely removed. I think they'll do the whole 24 hours on one set because mine were just getting bigger all day picking up rubber from the track!!
So, if HPI are insisting we run these kit tyres for the race well then I think HPI should throw the drift tyres at us to make them feel grippy when we switch back to kit tyres from the drift rings :lol:
They do the X Pattern tyres in D compound and Pro compound, have you tried the pro ones yet?
lotussmart
03-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Good question, the kit tyres are so much like drifting already the only alternative is proper rift tyres, HPI do some, but woukld each team have to buy a ste or qould HPI throw them into the deal perhaps?
We did a lot of race testing at Ardent today, the kit tyres are horrible, didn't like additive, didn't like warmers, droop screw settings made no difference to the handling even when completely removed. I think they'll do the whole 24 hours on one set because mine were just getting bigger all day picking up rubber from the track!!
So, if HPI are insisting we run these kit tyres for the race well then I think HPI should throw the drift tyres at us to make them feel grippy when we switch back to kit tyres from teh drift rings :lol:
Dez, I think today was slippy due to all the foams and additive being put down by the Mardaves, F1s, and GTs. Tuesday they were fine, but I agree today was slippy.
mcreeder
03-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Not seen the pro compound X patterns. Where have you seen them?
Anyway, there is nothing wrong with running lower grip tyres. Its the same for everyone. I would have thought that now we are on the kit tyres that the 'wet' running idea will be scrapped. I get the impression it was just an idea to get some use from the kit tyres.
Not seen the pro compound X patterns. Where have you seen them?
http://www.hpiracing.com/hpitires/touring/
About halfway down the page, there's pro compound in belted/none belted and in narrow too :) cost more tho.
mcreeder
03-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Found the Pro compound with a bit of searching. Looks like they were discontinued (http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=4490), I am pretty sure its only the D compound that are available
Dez82
03-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Dez, I think today was slippy due to all the foams and additive being put down by the Mardaves, F1s, and GTs. Tuesday they were fine, but I agree today was slippy.
Lol, there's low grip, and no grip, today was dead bad on kit tyres, maybe once we get going the track will scrub up because we won't be soaking the track in additive like all the foam shod cars do, fingers crossed!
We could always spray the track with Coca Cola and let it dry :thumbsup:
The UK Hpi site is more upto date and there arn't any pro comp tyres listed at all :(. It would be nice to use HPI tyres if we could but maybe some 32s slicks would be better. I don't fancy sliding the car round for 2000+ laps.
mcreeder
03-04-2011, 10:10 PM
It only feels bad cos you are all used to lots of grip. We used to run Tamiya TT01 kit radials in the old Tamiya Eurocup, and they are worse than the X pattern D compound. Everyone will soon get used to the grip, and lower grip actually makes for closer racing.:thumbsup:
Dez82
04-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Trust me this thing wriggles enough to keep you awake for 24Hrs that's for sure! Well we'll all be qualified pro drifters by the end of it!
My only concern is that one team will figure out a geometry set up or tyre tweak that works and romp away. We all want a close race.
mcreeder
04-04-2011, 12:42 PM
I ran the Sprint 2 911 with the flux brushless on those X pattern tyres at Yateley last year. Yes it was slippy, and Yateley is not the most grippy track either, but you just had to adjust how you drove it. I actually went quicker with my touring car there for the rest of the day as well, as the Sprint and X patterns magnified the mistakes I was making and getting away with on Sorex, showing me where I could make up time.
I think the X pattern tyres will make for a more exciting 24hr race than running with what would be too much grip on a 32 race tyre.
Ben Cosgrove
04-04-2011, 01:23 PM
We could always spray the track with Coca Cola and let it dry :thumbsup:
Only if we want to see you on all 4's licking the track :woot:
lotussmart
04-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Lol, there's low grip, and no grip, today was dead bad on kit tyres, maybe once we get going the track will scrub up because we won't be soaking the track in additive like all the foam shod cars do, fingers crossed!
We could always spray the track with Coca Cola and let it dry :thumbsup:
How old were your tyres? :-) the new ones in the kit were spot on for me Dez, same laptimes as Sorex 32s.
Dez82
04-04-2011, 05:13 PM
My tyres on my Sprint 2 were fine John, felt the same as the ones on your car, my set are not old, Callums set on his Sprint 2 are a little older granted but have had no use and been stored well wrapped up and sealed. I'll get a new set to try for next Fridays Team Chand-a-Cola set up and test at Ardent (April 15th - see you there with the confirmed guys and those under going trials!)
The kit tyres felt fine in the first test in the morning but as the day went on they got worse, and worse, the track getting additive all day ruined the grip, so I switched to some very old 32's and after three laps they were perfectly drivable.
lotussmart
04-04-2011, 05:57 PM
I did 60+ minutes on them Tuesday without the masses of additive going down and they were perfectly fine all evening. Feel free to test with them but I am very happy with them from all perspectives, cost, longevity, availability and performance and it's the same for everyone :-). See you Friday Dez, looking forward to the Chand a Cola team trials. Amazing how series you are taking this, it's awesome!! and it's going to be even better when we beat you :-)
jasonb
04-04-2011, 08:04 PM
See you Friday Dez, looking forward to the Chand a Cola team trials. Amazing how series you are taking this, it's awesome!! and it's going to be even better when we beat you :-)
If you beat them with a Pepsi body shell it would be the ultimate insult ;)
Jason
Dez82
04-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Yes John, I take my fun very seriously :D
"If a job is worth doing..." etc. I always give 110% to everything I do.
Hold the P@psi paint job Jason, I might have to change my team name to "Old Spice" at this rate, same red/white/black colour scheme, but a much higher average driver age than expect :woot:
We'll see how trials go Friday 15th, most of my team can make it, just a couple of potential team members to confirm. First to break a rear hub carrier gets the boot! No pressure..... :lol:
mcreeder
04-04-2011, 09:15 PM
...I am very happy with them from all perspectives, cost, longevity, availability and performance and it's the same for everyone :-)....
I totally agree John. They are not a bad tyre at all. Its the same for everyone and they will sort out the good drivers, from the drivers who are normally flattered by tyres that give out too much grip.
John,
Just pick a tyre that will be reliable and cheap.
I would much prefer to see everyone using the same wheel too, surely that would make things alot easier. As long as the glueing is good then it shouldn't be an issue.
And if Dez want to run white wheels then sell him some paint :woot:
Dez82
06-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Well some good news. I scrubbed my year old X Pattern (D Compound) tyres clean of all the rubber and goop they picked up last weekend, just used a drill to spin them on sandpaper, no additive nothing, just scrubbed, and we ran a test at Leamington DDMC before the regular Wednesday night club meeting tonight, they have a dry clean carpet, and the HPI kit tyres ran for 20 minutes right off, very drivable and predictable, a bit drifty style but great fun, so these tyres aren't the problem, it must have been all the foam tyre additive at Ardent after a very busy Winter series.
Hopefully before the 24Hr D'Ardent there will be lots of touring car racing to scrub the track up for us, it'll certainly be well scrubbed by the time we leave! I can imagine a clean racing line developing with the off line areas remaining slippery-er (?) so passing someone who won't move off line might be interesting, just like the real thing!! :thumbsup:
hashiriya
07-04-2011, 11:10 AM
So you are saying that the track will be green and then scrub in as the meeeting goes on? that sounds perfect
Dez82
07-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Well it sounds like it could happen that way, but the down side of getting the tyres to work a bit better is that the motor and ESC ran a lot hotter because we had a little extra grip to be able to stress it slightly more.
lotussmart
11-04-2011, 10:23 PM
We have one more team slot available!!!!!!! Unfortunately Team Richards has had to pull out.
Matt_N
12-04-2011, 02:57 AM
Any teams short of a driver? Would love to do this :thumbsup:
Tony G
12-04-2011, 11:09 AM
We have one more team slot available!!!!!!! Unfortunately Team Richards has had to pull out.
PM sent
lotussmart
12-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Next on reserve list has made contact so welcome to the chaos Team Essex Monsters!!
Tim Ward
12-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Earlier in this thread it was suggested people share intended colour schemes.
Snoop Dog racing (formerly Team Ward) will be going for a Martini Racing scheme.
Anytime...........
lotussmart
12-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Earlier in this thread it was suggested people share intended colour schemes.
Snoop Dog racing (formerly Team Ward) will be going for a Martini Racing scheme.
Anytime...........
Sweet!!!! :-)
jasonb
13-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Doris Racing will be going for something like this
Jason
Tony G
13-04-2011, 06:42 PM
As our team name surgest's, our team will be bassed on MONSTER ENERGY but with the ESSEX MONSTER's spin on it....:lol:
Dez82
17-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Chand-a-Cola confirmed our team at Fridays test day.
Dez Chand
Simon Taylor
Lee Carr
Eric Ki-Loo
Ian Maddock
Ben Smith
Thanks to everyone else that applied or got in touch regarding the team.
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/206262_209865699043475_100000601408150_781883_2892 585_n.jpg
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/218027_209865552376823_100000601408150_781881_2162 060_n.jpg
a rough mock up, but Tels Shells will do a much better job of it.
V1nce
19-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Great livery Dez. Reminds me of Bob Atkins' Coke sponsored Porsche 935. :thumbsup:
In fact if anyone else is thinking of running a classic Porsche livery, the cars of the Cayman interseries are worth a look
http://www.napletonmotorsports.com/The-Caymans.html
jasonb
21-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Final confirmed driver line you for Doris Racing (in no particular order)
Jason Butterfield
Pete Winton
Andy Griffiths
James Stewart
Gavin Clinch
Keith Robertson
lotussmart
23-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Final confirmed driver line you for Doris Racing (in no particular order)
Jason Butterfield
Pete Winton
Andy Griffiths
James Stewart
Gavin Clinch
Keith Robertson
Bugger!, some pretty good names there :-)
Dez82
23-04-2011, 10:57 AM
...but they are all used to driving fast cars that handle really well ;)
jasonb
23-04-2011, 06:15 PM
...but they are all used to driving fast cars that handle really well ;)
And we will be ;)
SlowOne
23-04-2011, 07:11 PM
And after today's testing, we probably have one!! :p
Dez82
30-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Hi John, any news on testing/set up at all? Still haven't really come to grips with the kits tyres (!) but have bought several sets to test with and attempt to find a way to make them work, at least they won't wear out and the drive line will be totally unstressed! Likewise the motor and ESC get an easier time than when I use some proper tyres that offer typical racing spec grip, then the motor stinks and the ESC gives up the ghost, but still no brakes after the first lap, regardless what tyres I use!
Question 1 -
Can teams swap the steel pinions you gave out for alloy ones?
Question 2 - And are there any rules about changing the bumper to protect the body a little better, as the gap is pretty nasty back to the kit bumper and there's no rear protection at all!! Just worried 15 cars on track will turn into bumper cars and last man standing will win the demolition derby!!
B3buggy
01-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Hi John, any news on testing/set up at all? Still haven't really come to grips with the kits tyres (!) but have bought several sets to test with and attempt to find a way to make them work, at least they won't wear out and the drive line will be totally unstressed!
+1
I never really expected them to handle great, but unless the tyres are clean the grip is non existent! It becomes a really bad/undriveable drift car.
Clean the tyres for 5 minutes are they are like fine again....for 5 minutes...at which point they need cleaning.
Doing single runs seems fine (5 minutes), but after trying a simulated stint and pitstop it seems a joke. After changing a battery it was awful. I was truely embarassed:blush:
This is all due to rubber pick-up. I can only see a few choices.
A - Stop foam tyres being used week/s before the meeting, and hope the pick-up issue disappears.
B- Use an alternative Tyre.
After trying every setup in the book to make the tyres work for longer periods. We tried running normal Sorex 28r's to check it wasn't us being stupid......and it went from a :mad: undriveable beast to a nicely handling little car.:wub
My 2 pence
Regards
Ross
SlowOne
01-05-2011, 07:33 PM
It isn't the foam tyres that cause the problem, it's the rubber tyres! The problem is the oil used as a tyre treatment for rubber tyres, and then the bits of rubber that get into the carpet. All they need is a nice clean rubber tyre to come along and they glue themselves to it. As they get a hold on the tyre, they form an even better surface for more to get glued on!
Foam tyres do exactly the same thing on Ardent's carpet, and any other carpet running rubber tyres. However, foam tyres do no such thing on a carpet that only runs foam tyres. Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you want to avoid the problem you restrict the carpet to foams only until the race!! HTH :)
Team Doris second your experience of the tyres - both kit and Sorex 28s. ;)
Dez82
01-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Well that mirrors exactly the testing we did, tried every set up, nothing made any differenmce, only spinning up on the tyre truer turned the drift tyres into race tyres, for a few minutes until they turned back into slicks all clogged up with goo from the track, even our front belt pulley was clogged with pick up fluff!
And yet literally any other tyre we tried worked fine and didn't pick up, weird or what?
B3buggy
01-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Foam tyres do exactly the same thing on Ardent's carpet, and any other carpet running rubber tyres. However, foam tyres do no such thing on a carpet that only runs foam tyres. Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you want to avoid the problem you restrict the carpet to foams only until the race!! HTH :)
Team Doris second your experience of the tyres - both kit and Sorex 28s. ;)
LOL, Thank you for the tutorial. Apart from 1/12th racing how many carpet tracks run only foams?..... Assume they are fine because you don't run oil based additives? Without stating the obvious you don't really get pick up on foam tyres, but you do on rubber if you run rubber alongside. But if you just run rubber, there seems little issue.
Effectively it is TC additives mixing with TC and (huge amounts of) Foam marbles sticking to the tyres. Rubber only=small amount of marbles, Foam only = large amount of marbles what is worse?
Anyway the real issue.
What is causing the 'increased' pick-up issue, compared to 'standard' slick tyres?...
Maybe not running additive for a few weeks before might help.....if a bit impracticable.
I will rephase that then :lol:
A- Hope the pick-up issue disappears....(prays to the gods)
Dez - It also mirrors the issues we had in Tamiya Mini's at SPC last year running treaded xpress tyres. Is is treaded tyres with large blocks that cause the issue.....
lotussmart
01-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Hi Guys,
IMPORTANT RE TYRES
You will probably be relieved to hear that due to a supply issue we are having to change from the kit tyres to the new HPI slicks (the ones they put forward for the BRCA National) we are testing to see if they can run on the kit wheels or if we will have to run dish wheels. They will be the same price and the tyres you got with the kit will be used for the random wet weather simulation sections. Dates of when the new tyres will be available will be released shortly. John.
Dez82
02-05-2011, 06:57 AM
Hi Guys, IMPORTANT RE TYRES
You will probably be relieved to hear that due to a supply issue we are having to change from the kit tyres to the new HPI slicks (the ones they put forward for the BRCA National) we are testing to see if they can run on the kit wheels or if we will have to run dish wheels. They will be the same price and the tyres you got with the kit will be used for the random wet weather simulation sections. Dates of when the new tyres will be available will be released shortly. John.
OK I'd better start some tests with some decent tyres to see how the geometry affects the handling, back to square one.....
I might have to come testing later this week then, might throw in some F1 testing for the weekend too. Any excuse ;-)
Craig W
02-05-2011, 11:33 AM
If I think back HPI use to give wheel space with there wheel n they were 2mm spaces
mcreeder
02-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Challenge 30 tyres didn't fully fit over the kit tyres when they were looked at for the SPC which is why we ended up with Pit Shimizu D30's. It would be a real shame if we ended up on medium narrow dish wheels, cos they will just not fill the shell:thumbdown:
Challenge 30 tyres didn't fully fit over the kit tyres when they were looked at for the SPC which is why we ended up with Pit Shimizu D30's. It would be a real shame if we ended up on medium narrow dish wheels, cos they will just not fill the shell:thumbdown:
I totaly agree. Part of the effect of this race is the scale look.
Dez82
02-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Dish wheels suck.
B3buggy
02-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Good news. It was going to be a hard 24hrs of Drift racing:woot:
At least they are white Dez:lol: Did like the look of the kit Wheels to honest, shame about the tyres.
What is the news on the ESC's? Are they being replaced for one with a lipo cutout? Just want to know if we can change the connectors on the one we have already, without fear of having to give it back.
Craig W
02-05-2011, 04:37 PM
If tyres are like pitz d30 they well go on a 26mm wheel
TOMO WEF
02-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Its a shame we arent using the original tyres as it wouldve been the same for everyone and something different to level the playing field to the normal tc guys who will have a huge advantage if we go to a "normal" tc tyre.
SlowOne
02-05-2011, 07:56 PM
You could say that - but only if you haven't driven one!! Trust me (and all the other posters who have driven one) you really didn't want to use those tyres! John's post is good news for us all. :thumbsup:
lotussmart
02-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Good news. It was going to be a hard 24hrs of Drift racing:woot:
At least they are white Dez:lol: Did like the look of the kit Wheels to honest, shame about the tyres.
What is the news on the ESC's? Are they being replaced for one with a lipo cutout? Just want to know if we can change the connectors on the one we have already, without fear of having to give it back.
Cut away and if you feel you need to invest in a lipo cut off then do, new ones will not be available in time.
lotussmart
02-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Its a shame we arent using the original tyres as it wouldve been the same for everyone and something different to level the playing field to the normal tc guys who will have a huge advantage if we go to a "normal" tc tyre.
The car is totally different to a TC believe me :-) and level playing field comes as soon as we get over 5 minutes as TC driver's internal clocks/alarms start to chime and attention goes. :-)
SlowOne
03-05-2011, 07:11 PM
The car is totally different to a TC believe me :-) and level playing field comes as soon as we get over 5 minutes as TC driver's internal clocks/alarms start to chime and attention goes. :-)Team Doris in with a shout then - as 12th drivers we lose attention after eight minutes!! :woot:
When and how can we pick up our cars? We could do with them posting really but it might be cheaper coming down.
TOMO WEF
03-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Hi Slow one trust me I have driven the car John was testing with and both the cars Dez was testing with on about 4 occassions on the old control tyre so Yes I have driven one and was speaking from fairly extensive experience having also owned not one but two of these hpi's myself :) lol
I just liked the slippy slide of it all, brings a different skill to it plus some people had invested a fair amount of money in trying these tyres out like Dez for all that to now be a waste.
I dont mind what we use aslong as its black and round-ish ;)
I am going just for a laugh have done a 24hrs before with mardaves with mates at our old club years ago and its always a chuckle.
Dez82
06-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Any news ref final tyre choice? I did some testing with some half decent tyres, 32R and some preglued Carson rubber I had laying about, both knocked several seconds off the lap time but neither were what you'd call super grippy, although anything better than kit tyres turned this drift car into a racer, finally.
But - and it's a big but, my run times shortened to 10 minutes on 5000mAh packs, the motor made over 150 degrees C in just 5 minutes from stone cold and the 15T HPUI ESC was well over 80 degrees C at the end of every 5 minute race, the HPI gear just sin't built for handling grip it seems.
I don't know if I can fit enough fans to keep this alive for 24Hrs! Dropping the gearing might help but it's already painfully slow as it is!
Dez82
09-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Well I've been trying out different tyres with a bit more grip than the kit X Pattern D Compound, at Wednesday night indoor club meetings, and that's two HPI 20T Saturn motors I've worn out now, the brushes have worn down so far the motor is losing speed and just over heating.
So if you are doing the 24Hr I'd advise a quick change method with a flying lead and idiot proof connectors for a quick swap out.
Good news is I've yet to fry a ESC, but having said that the longest I've run has been 8 minutes and they are getting upto 80C plus in that time!
hashiriya
09-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Nice to see Dez is being as helpful as ever by providing that much needed testing and feeding back the results.
It's a shame about the kit tyre as I had a quick go on our 24hr car with kit tyres after the SPC round and it seemed to go ok and nothing like the drift car which some of the other were describing (trust me I know about drift cars and their lack of grip)
Although I don't have the answer, I would like to think that keeping the grip lower would be better for not allowing us to keeep the throttle open for too long to keep temperatures and wear down.
Dez82
09-05-2011, 07:18 PM
My pleasure Maz, just want everyone to enjoy themselves and the event to go off without complications.
The kit tyres are fine on a clean carpet, give the drive line motor and ESC an easy time and double the run time from each battery pack. With the use of a dremel and grinding drum I cleaned up a set and they went round Ardent great for about three minutes then they picked up carpet fluff and additive and became drift slicks again, another whizz with the Dremel and they were good for a few more minutes. You won't wear them out until the track cleans up!
Additive made them worse, tyre warmers made them worse.
jasonb
09-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Has anyone found any 24mm wheels with the same offset at the kit 26mm ones? Don't really want to run dish wheels
Jason
Dez82
09-05-2011, 08:49 PM
+3mm front, +6mm rears.
I'm working on it ;-)
jasonb
09-05-2011, 09:11 PM
+3mm front, +6mm rears.
I'm working on it ;-)
Current plan is JC 4mm offsets and change the hex which I think will get pretty close.
Let us know how you get on.
Jason
hashiriya
10-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Pit Shimizu make a 24mm wheel in 2mm and 4mm offset by they package then in packs of 4 rather than 2 so it may take a bit of working out to get the right numbers but they are listed at 700 yen for a set of 4. I may be able to work a deal with then due to the contact I've made with them for SPC supply and see If I can get something done if people would like me to? they also do some narrow slicks in some relatively low grip compounds for reasonable money if a tyre solution can't be found.
Craig W
11-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Are we running HPI slick or is it open slick tyre now as we don't wont to go out and buy HPI slick to test on and its open tyres
lotussmart
11-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Are we running HPI slick or is it open slick tyre now as we don't wont to go out and buy HPI slick to test on and its open tyres
Please do not make any rash moves re control tyres until it is definitely confirmed, we are seeing which tyres will fit on the kit rims, in the right quantity and at the right price. Hold fire for this week, i'll have sorted something by the weekend.
Lots of options open to us. I am desperate to run the kit rims :-)
jasonb
11-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Please do not make any rash moves re control tyres until it is definitely confirmed, we are seeing which tyres will fit on the kit rims, in the right quantity and at the right price. Hold fire for this week, i'll have sorted something by the weekend.
Lots of options open to us. I am desperate to run the kit rims :-)
Schuie Carpet Dragons?
Craig W
11-05-2011, 07:23 PM
There load of tyres that will fit on kit rims hpi should have loads of 1540s what was control tyre for hpi series.
24mm will fit on 26mm wheel as i fitted then in the past
Dez82
11-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Lots of options open to us. I am desperate to run the kit rims :-)
I would love to run HPI rims, they suit the car and have the right offset to fill the Porsches wheel arches, plus it keeps everyone on the same track width so there's no advantage to narrower or wider cars etc.
Look forward to the final announcement, oh and can HPI supply enough 20T Saturns to see us through the event please? I've smoked 4 of them now testing grippier tyres at my local club and I've run out..... man they smell bad once they over heat!
Browny_37
11-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Part worn JB28's would be ideal I think, im sure there's plenty of guys out there who end up chucking these away when they tear from the rims.
Dez82
12-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Funny you should say that, I ran used (1 year old) JB28's last night at my club, used them all night and they were fine, not too grippy, not too slippy, about right and they squeel good after about three laps too! No need for addictive or warmers, just bolt on and go.
B3buggy
14-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Funny you should say that, I ran used (1 year old) JB28's last night at my club, used them all night and they were fine, not too grippy, not too slippy, about right and they squeel good after about three laps too! No need for addictive or warmers, just bolt on and go.
Right after another bash at some testing, the HPI challange 30 tyres also seem very poor, ok for a 5 minute race, but take them longer than that and it is back the way of the X-patterns. No pick up this time, just a under steering over steering pig. Bolt on a set of old JB28's hey presto;). I even have the timing data showing how inconsistent the Challenge 30's are.
I was never expecting mega grip, it is endurance racing afterall. But using the HPI's would not be an enjoyable experience.
One point to note, If there are approx.13 teams running HPI challenge 30's/X-patterns, it might be very busy marshalling.... more likely dangerous (to the marshals). You will crash using these tyres.
My vote is for Sorex tyres!:woot: They just work, and didn't look too bad. I am willing to make vinyl decals for the disc wheels to simulate spokes.
....+ don't get me onto motor's, we have blown 2 already. There are better alternatives in our opinion. This might be a long 24hrs......
On the plus side, the Sprint is a robust little fella, and the 911 body looks quite good. I will post up a picture in the near future of our painted body.
This ins't bashing... i think we all just want it to be a great event for all involved.
Craig W
14-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Well after testing today on 10yr old set of pitz we had no problems at all car was good
Like 3 week away and need know what tyres
The Event Sponsored by Hpi so it should be a Hpi tyre
Cant see the point in running 28 jb as we are racing 24hr not 5 mins
B3buggy
14-05-2011, 03:21 PM
The Event Sponsored by Hpi so it should be a Hpi tyre
Cant see the point in running 28 jb as we are racing 24hr not 5 mins
I agree it would be nice, just be prepared to be disappointed, the HPI tyres arn't up to it.
The worn Sorex 28's did over 1hours racing, and still look good. I though the proposal on the ardent website was 32's?
I am sure it will all shake out a the warm up meeting in a few weeks.
Dez82
14-05-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm glad it's not just me then! Whatever tyres are chosen I think they should be supplied loose with inserts so we can at least use something from the range of proper offset HPI rims and keep the original offset and trackwidth, with any regular touring wheel you end up with a front end 5mm wider than the rear axle, not good for handling and it looks shit in the wide rear Porsche wheel arches too!
I've tried several tyres on the HPI 26mm rims and they all fit just fine, compared to a 24mm wide rim they only 1mm outside on each bead so the profile etc remains identical to the eye.
Tony G
15-05-2011, 01:38 PM
some of our team members was at the track on saturday with the cars, they used sorex 32's, and they worked quite well, motor temps came off in the 70's, this tyre issue is now getting closer and closer to the race date, can we have a decision please, we are all up for this, but we need to get ready. As regards the motor temp, can we choose our own gearing? Also, whatever wheels/tyres we use, Its only fair if they are supplied by the organisers on the day, I dont want to worry about now looking for wheels, inserts to fit whatever tyres we are using, time's ticking :)
B3buggy
15-05-2011, 03:50 PM
A quick shot of our test cars colour scheme. Note is already has true to scale battle scars!:woot:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225779_10150302040998135_648403134_9706647_4419166 _n.jpg
V1nce
15-05-2011, 05:54 PM
They’re not battle scars, mere flesh wounds compare to those inflicted on the drift pig! :lol:
SlowOne
15-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Vingt-quatre heures du Ardent - class!! :thumbsup:
lotussmart
15-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Hi guys, fear not about tyres, control tyres will be available for the test weekend, we are most likely going for the loose option enabling you to construct your own tyres. If we went Sorex the wear rate would be different to what you are used to with touring cars as with these cars they hardly break grip. I don't know why my test car comes off at 50C after 20 minutes running, but for fear of having problems and accusations on the day I'm likely to lift the gearing rule so that it is your fault through driving or incorrect gearing if the motor blows, however again this will be decided at the test weekend.
For now concentrate on re-building the cars, designing quick release battery mechanisms, formulating strategies and painting shells. :-)
Bluelock1
15-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Hi guys, fear not about tyres, control tyres will be available for the test weekend, we are most likely going for the loose option enabling you to construct your own tyres. If we went Sorex the wear rate would be different to what you are used to with touring cars as with these cars they hardly break grip. I don't know why my test car comes off at 50C after 20 minutes running, but for fear of having problems and accusations on the day I'm likely to lift the gearing rule so that it is your fault through driving or incorrect gearing if the motor blows, however again this will be decided at the test weekend.
For now concentrate on re-building the cars, designing quick release battery mechanisms, formulating strategies and painting shells. :-)
Sorex get my vote, i would even opt for the pre-built sets and put some sort of spoked wheel design on for effect, after all a good racing experience is what we are all after not guess work with tires we have had for a week or so before the event.
again if we all have the same gearing then it will be more about driving and not money? to win? if the motors or speedos blow up then use some sense and drive for endurance we will be all in the same boat so to speak.
and finally i would love to plan a strategy but with so many unknowns it's kind of a wild stab in the dark at the moment.
For the tire situation can we not just have a vote for which tire to use or just leave the tire choice up to us as a team????
B3buggy
15-05-2011, 09:25 PM
This time an action pic. Thanks goes to MattH for the shot!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/226701_10150624674215354_611620353_18733879_581594 2_n.jpg
Dez82
15-05-2011, 11:19 PM
For now concentrate on re-building the cars, designing quick release battery mechanisms, formulating strategies and painting shells. :-)
Quick release battery systems? No ones taking it that seriously are they? 15 seconds to swap battery and driver is plenty fast enough for me already!
Still awaiting shell from Tels Shells, have two sets of HPI rims awaiting whatever choice of tyre you decide, so long as we know on or before the test weekend. No dished rims please guys, gotta stick to the +3mm and +6mm rims at least for the style and width of car in the arches etc.
If the SPC guys can source HPI rims then surely HPI can???
V1nce
16-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Quick release battery systems? No ones taking it that seriously are they? 15 seconds to swap battery and driver is plenty fast enough for me already!
We looked at it... Came to the conclusion that whatever we did it was likely to fall apart at some point during the race and therefore rebuilding it would cost us more time then it saved.
The sides of those 911's are that thin they peel up really well! :lol:
QuackingPlums
16-05-2011, 02:15 PM
For now concentrate on ... designing quick release battery mechanisms .... :-)
This isn't the Donington 24hr on stick-pack NiCds John! :woot:
Bluelock1
16-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Introducing Team Stoke RCMCC's 24hr challenger!
Mad-Wolfie
18-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Still awaiting shell from Tels Shells
Can't wait to see the new shell :thumbsup:
lotussmart
18-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Introducing Team Stoke RCMCC's 24hr challenger!
That really does look awesome!! LOVE IT!!
lotussmart
18-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Testing Sorex tyres on the HPI rims this Friday. Fingers crossed!!!!! After seeing Stoke's car I REALLY want to keep the challenge wheels. Damn you 26mm rims! :-)
jasonb
18-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Testing Sorex tyres on the HPI rims this Friday. Fingers crossed!!!!! After seeing Stoke's car I REALLY want to keep the challenge wheels. Damn you 26mm rims! :-)
I have run them on 25mm wheels before and they are a bugger to glue and get sat right, don't hold out too much hope on 26mm wheel :(
Jason
Dez82
18-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Testing Sorex tyres on the HPI rims this Friday. Fingers crossed!!!!! After seeing Stoke's car I REALLY want to keep the challenge wheels. Damn you 26mm rims! :-)
Wait until you see the proper Tels Shells Coke on it's bling 26mm +3 and +6mm off set HPI wheels, that'll clinch the deal!
What time you testing Friday, I might pop over on my bike and see the tyre tests for myself. Might even bring a Porsche in my backpack!
Browny_37
19-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Well guys, one of the lads from Team Donny Racing is dropping out.
So im looking for another driver, the fee would be £15 to join.
Will be down at Ardents Summer Series this weekend, so if your interested. Get John, Ian, Simon or Moon to point me out and come over and have a chat.
Cheers
Dan
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.