View Full Version : Losi 22 Tapered Shock Pistons
I’ve just finished making some tapered pistons for mine and my brothers losi 22 cars and thought that maybe other would like a set for their cars. The image below shows a pair of 5 hole 1.3mm.
http://www.gurnellrc.com/ForumImages/Pistons/Pistons.jpg
There is a choice of 4, 5, & 6 holes pistons with 1.2 mm, 1,3mm, 1.4mm & 1.5mm holes. As everyone is using kit pistons at the moment with imperial sized holes I produced the below chart to help me work out the metric equivalent.
http://www.gurnellrc.com/ForumImages/Pistons/PistonChart.jpg
Please PM me if you are interested in purchasing a set. I’m selling then at £6 a pair with free postage but as they are made to order, please expect delivery in approx 3-4 days for delivery.
coleman758
27-03-2011, 05:02 PM
What advantage would these give?
stegger
27-03-2011, 06:07 PM
They give a quicker reaction, so are great on bumpy tracks.
What advantage would these give?
As Stagger says they react faster to bumps as the rebounds faster than a standard piston! Also they are CNC machined so are perfectly round unlike a moulded piston that shrinks and distorts during the cooling process. Plus with them being available in 4, 5, & 6 hole this gives you a much better tuning options
I currently have 1.3mm 5 holes in the front and 1.3mm 6 holes rear on losi 30w all round which feels a lot better than the standard kit pistons.
Regards
Nick
RDG 40
27-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Appreciate mine Nick!
Built them up tonight and they feel so nice with 30w. Good job!
Wacker 2
27-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Cost??
sparrow.2
28-03-2011, 05:10 AM
Cost??
Read the whole first post...
nickhudson
28-03-2011, 08:07 AM
PM'd
Rich D
28-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Appreciate mine Nick!
Built them up tonight and they feel so nice with 30w. Good job!
Ditto - feel much more forgiving than the standard ones on the bench when compared back to back. Looking forward to testing them on track !
:thumbsup:
what is the diffrence between using for example a 4 hole 1,4 mm and a 5 hole 1,3mm piston?? do i have the possebilety to have smaller steps between 2 setup variations??
leeboy44
28-03-2011, 03:30 PM
hi nick
sorry to bother you, do you make these for any car?
ive got a pred x11 and was thinking of these for that? (and would they be any good for that)
let me know what you have time
thanks feller
all the best
hi nick
sorry to bother you, do you make these for any car?
ive got a pred x11 and was thinking of these for that? (and would they be any good for that)
let me know what you have time
thanks feller
all the best
Pm sent
what is the diffrence between using for example a 4 hole 1,4 mm and a 5 hole 1,3mm piston?? do i have the possebilety to have smaller steps between 2 setup variations??
Without over complicating things the basic answers is that you would get less pack with the 5 hole piston due to the fact it will let more oil travel through thus take longer to pack up under compression. And yes as you say with being able to change the amount of holes along with the size this does give fare greater tuning option!
:thumbsup:
kind regards
Nick
Wacker 2
28-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Read the whole first post...
Ahh, my bad... Didn't read the whole thing!
Ta, Jon!:blush:
Just to let everyone know all pistons orded before 10pm last night are in the posted today
thanks for all your orders
Nick
Rebelrc
30-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Maybe this might help
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62117
Nice work nick
Loving all the surface area info and comparisons
Excellent work and pricing
Reevsey
01-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Mine arrived today and they look awsome, will try and get out to test tomorrow and post back but i expect these to be very good !! :thumbsup:
Dalton
01-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Which way do the tapers face when in the shocks ? and if its reveresed does it change the characteristics ?
Gnarly Old Dog
02-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Had the chance to try out Nick's tapered pistons in my 22 today and all I can say is that they are amazing:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I ended up running more pack than I thought I could get away with and didn't suffer any issues with small bump performance.
Going from my initial 6 x 55 hole set up with drilled standard pistons with 30wt oil to Nicks 6 hole 1.3s with 35wt oil was a revelation. In the end, it got even better with 5 hole 1.3s and 32.5wt in the rear.
I ran out of time to really test them in the front but even during our initial testing before the car was launched, we felt that the front end was less critical for set up than the rear and I have to admit that Nick's tapered pistons have given me a big hit + small ripple performance that I couldn't find before.
I'm not going to go into the physics and the theory because its beyond me - but fitting these pistons in the rear of my mid car was simply awesome.
Thank you Nick - fantastic and highly recommended.
so you ended up with 5 hole 1,3mms and 32,5wt in the rear (the rest of the setup link on the setup sheet u posted).
Am i right??
Gnarly Old Dog
02-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Pretty much.
Went to the B hole in the hub which helped things especially as the tyres wore but everything else was as we've run before and as I've posted.
Fronts were 4 hole 55 standard pistons with kit 27.5wt oil and green springs.
On the rear, I ended up on a Yellow spring which was one grade harder than I had been able to achieve before but it was the difference with the pistons that was so eye opening.
jamesmorl
03-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Had the chance to try out Nick's tapered pistons in my 22 today and all I can say is that they are amazing:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I ended up running more pack than I thought I could get away with and didn't suffer any issues with small bump performance.
Going from my initial 6 x 55 hole set up with drilled standard pistons with 30wt oil to Nicks 6 hole 1.3s with 35wt oil was a revelation. In the end, it got even better with 5 hole 1.3s and 32.5wt in the rear.
I ran out of time to really test them in the front but even during our initial testing before the car was launched, we felt that the front end was less critical for set up than the rear and I have to admit that Nick's tapered pistons have given me a big hit + small ripple performance that I couldn't find before.
I'm not going to go into the physics and the theory because its beyond me - but fitting these pistons in the rear of my mid car was simply awesome.
Thank you Nick - fantastic and highly recommended.
Hi Andy, would these work well at Taplow's track?
Thanks
James (Daniels)
frogger
03-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Hi Andy, would these work well at Taplow's track?
Thanks
James (Daniels)
I found my 1.3mm 5 and 6 hole pistons with 35W too soft for Taplow. I went back to the kit pistons and 27.5W oil. I know 2 others I spoke with also ran kit pistons. I think the tapered pistons would be superb off road where the track is a little more bumpy.
jamesmorl
03-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks Fogger, what springs are you using at taplow?
stegger
03-04-2011, 11:17 AM
I found my 1.3mm 5 and 6 hole pistons with 35W too soft for Taplow. I went back to the kit pistons and 27.5W oil. I know 2 others I spoke with also ran kit pistons. I think the tapered pistons would be superb off road where the track is a little more bumpy.
That's what i'm thinking for the back section at southport.
frogger
03-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Thanks Fogger, what springs are you using at taplow?
I was using Orange rear and Green front and the other 2 that I looked at were using Orange rear and Blue front.
AndrewCaunt
03-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Nick ran is at Robin Hood raceway today was well impressed Good job with those pistons.:thumbsup:He made the A Final:p Ash was BQ lol
Gnarly Old Dog
03-04-2011, 06:37 PM
I found my 1.3mm 5 and 6 hole pistons with 35W too soft for Taplow. I went back to the kit pistons and 27.5W oil. I know 2 others I spoke with also ran kit pistons. I think the tapered pistons would be superb off road where the track is a little more bumpy.
Agreed - the benefit of tapered pistons will be best found on bumpy surfaces.
I doubt if Taplow would yield any advantage TBH - but certainly on any typical outdoor UK track, they certainly help:thumbsup:
had a set of 5/1.3 for front and 6/1.3 for rear today off nick today
at robinhood raceway and it transformed my 22 . i used green front springs and yellow rear with 30w all round . prob going to be the cheepest and most effective mod for the 22 :thumbsup:
cheers si
Reevsey
04-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Got out to try mine on Saturday and on a bump astro track they where a massive improvement, the car has gone from pattering on bumps to driving straight through them like my XX4 :thumbsup:
Well worth the investment i would sugest!!
Neil78
04-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Hi Reevsey
What holes did you use with the tapered pistons and what oil did you settle with.
Ran the car for the first time on saturday at Kidderminster with your setup on car felt great.
Just needs fine tunning for the bumps hopefully these pistons will help.
Thanks
:thumbsup:Pleased you like them Si
Got out to try mine on Saturday and on a bump astro track they where a massive improvement, the car has gone from pattering on bumps to driving straight through them like my XX4 :thumbsup:
Well worth the investment i would sugest!!
jaydits
04-04-2011, 07:49 PM
got them today
try them this weekend
thanks nick
just one question whats the best way to mount them
Rich D
04-04-2011, 08:03 PM
got them today
try them this weekend
thanks nick
just one question whats the best way to mount them
Mount them with the flat side to the top and the taper pointing downwards.
Reevsey
05-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Hi Reevsey
What holes did you use with the tapered pistons and what oil did you settle with.
Ran the car for the first time on saturday at Kidderminster with your setup on car felt great.
Just needs fine tunning for the bumps hopefully these pistons will help.
Thanks
I ran 6 hole 1.2 35w and 3x1.3 3x1.4 32.5w
Hope that helps
Just to let everyone know all orders have just been packed an I will posted them all tomorrow thanks everyone and I hope they all help
thanks Nick,cant wait to use these out door on sunday:thumbsup:
Ben Turner
07-04-2011, 07:04 AM
Received mine yesterday, well packaged! Really well made, cant wait to try them this weekend.
Ben
Dalton
07-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Recived mine today, Super fast service 11 out of 10 :)
got mine to,thanks nick,although i hope the way it was packed the post man did think it was my porn supply:woot:
jaydits
07-04-2011, 08:05 PM
bench test it this evening
6x1.3 i have to use 40 wt in the rear to stop it from bouncing
think i have to go to the 5x1.3
they look realy good and straight so it must be the way to go
saterday track time to find out
frogger
07-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Have had 2 sets of Nick and must say, excellent service and excellent packaging.
tomtom
07-04-2011, 11:23 PM
Same here, very good service
Just build the shocks yesterday, 5x1.3 front with green springs 30w and 6x1.3 rear with yellow spring 30W, will try next week but great so far, a bit bouncy on the rear maybe.
Oliv996
09-04-2011, 06:52 AM
Hi Nick,
I measured the outside diameter of the pistons coming in the box: 11.85mm. What is the outside diameter of your Losi 22 tapered shock pistons?
Thanks
I think you will find if you measure all 4 kit pistons the change in size depending wear you measure them from due to the fact that mouldings never cool even!
Just to let everyone know all piston orders was shipped this morning so you should all get for the weekend
thanks for the orders Guys
wrightcs77
15-04-2011, 12:38 AM
Looking at ordering some of these. I live in the USA and run mostly on outdoor 8th scale tracks. Any idea on what may work best? Don't want to have to order 40 in pistons....lol.
Gnarly Old Dog
15-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Looking at ordering some of these. I live in the USA and run mostly on outdoor 8th scale tracks. Any idea on what may work best? Don't want to have to order 40 in pistons....lol.
That's a tricky one to answer but to start with - what normal pistons have you found that work?
Around my local track, I was using 6 hole 55s in the rear with either 6 hole 56s in the front or 4 hole 55s and have found the 5 hole 1.3 tapers are better - especially in the rear.
The advantage of the taper appears to be in the small bump perfomance vs big hit - if you have a track with both, the taper allows you to run more pack / heavier oil to suit the big jump landings whilst retaining the small bump active feel.
Does the track blow out or does it stay fairly good? From what I have read and seen about many US clay and dirt tracks, they either become very loose or they stay hard pack and relatively smooth - well smooth compared to our tracks over here that is. If that's the case, I would suggest something like a 1.2mm hole - maybe in a 5 hole or even a 4 hole if you're using 4 hole 56s right now?
The kit 4 hole piston configuration was a result of the US team testing - we drilled our prototypes to 6 hole at a time when all we had were blank pistons and no final decision had been taken (AFAIK). The 4 hole has, for us, not been as useful on our tracks with the mid car as it has proved to be in the US - so potentially, you may need to consider than the kit pistons are already closer to what you need for your typical running than what they are for our typical running.
With all that said, Nick's handiwork is top class and the drilled holes are nice - but you'll have to learn metric drill sizes - :p
Good luck with them - if your track does get rough, rutted or cuts up then I'm sure they'll be an advantage for you but like you say, 40 variants is maybe a lot to go through.
Chequered Flag Racing
28-04-2011, 06:04 AM
Batley
suggest a suitable pistion for the venue please
Chequered Flag Racing
05-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Had the chance to try out Nick's tapered pistons in my 22 today and all I can say is that they are amazing:thumbsup::thumbsup:
What's the hot ticket for these pistons on UK tracks at present?
To be fair I have never been to Batley! It might be someone ran my pistons at the regional and can help! I have just made a load of 3 hole piston to test with larger holes to see if this improves the shocks which I’m going to test over the weekend so might pay you to wait a couple of days so we can see that these are better or not.
ianjoyner
07-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Batley
suggest a suitable pistion for the venue please
I was there at the regional, it was difficult driving through the bumps but my car had pretty good pace and made the A. I ran 5x1.3mm in the rear with 32.5wt following Gnarly's findings earlier in the thread. I ran that with a white spring, yellow seemed a bit firm. In the front I ran 4x1.3mm 32.5wt with a green spring. With more time I may have tried a softer front spring as it was still skipping a bit, but that may have hurt the balance in the corners.
The tapered pistons, even with a comparable hole area to the stock pistons feel much more free on the bench.
jimbob
09-05-2011, 04:43 PM
The tapped pistons are good on bumpy tracks because i have got the six- hole tapped pistons and the 5 hole and they are amazing.
The Hobbymaster
09-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Hi Nick,
PM Sent,
Looking to pick up some pistion for my 22 for Edan Park Raceway, what do you think I need:confused: cheers Ian
AndrewCaunt
09-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Batley
suggest a suitable pistion for the venue please
I think wayne collingson runs nicks Pistons dose he get to Batley
Chequered Flag Racing
10-05-2011, 09:27 AM
@ Nick
order placed, check you pm's ;)
Gnarly Old Dog
11-05-2011, 07:49 AM
Hi Nick,
PM Sent,
Looking to pick up some pistion for my 22 for Edan Park Raceway, what do you think I need:confused: cheers Ian
I've had reasonable luck with 5 hole 1.3s at EPR so far - running between 35 and 40wt in the front and 32.5 - 35wt in the rear.
Will be trying some others soon but to start with, you'll not go far wrong with these coupled to the kit yellow rear spring and a green front spring.
HTH
Just to let everyone know all Piston orders have been posted out this morning! Thanks for the orders.
Also I have been trying 3 hole pistons in the 22 over the last couple of weeks! I’m still experimenting with hole size but am finding the car to be a more stable and a little easier to drive. I’m currently running 1.45mm 3 hole front and 1.55mm 3 hole rears but am going to try a slightly larger hole this week for a little less pack.
Ran the car this weekend at Grantham A1 racing new Astro track and car felt real easy to drive over a 5min race but could still put in very fast lap times. The track is bumpy with several different Astros giving a change in grip level from high to low grip
My set up is listed below
Front
37.5W Losi oil
3 hole 1.45mm taper piston
Black spring
Shock position middle on arm 2 on tower
2mm limiter fitted
Camber link position 2
1mm under inner ball stud 2mm on outer ball stud
Kick angle 25 degrees
Caster 3 Degrees
Camber -.5 deg
Ride height 21mm
Spindle trailing
2mm spacer moved to front of caster block
Rear
32.5w Losi Oil
3 hole 1.55mm taper piston
Pink springs (yellow gave a little more side bite but pink was faster if you was smooth with it)
Shock position inside on arm 2 on tower
Camber link B with 1mm spacer 2 with 2mm spacer
4 degree HRC
1 Degree anti squat
Medium short wheel base
HB 7” V wing
Camber -2
Ride height 21mm
Losi 96mm stubby Lipo
No rear weight
Short Lipo kit with all small weight moved to front 156g total
Rear tyres Yellow mini spike 2
MRO Extra wide rear inserts
Yellow staged rib front Dremeled
No insert
LRP x12 7.5
24/76 gearing
Martyn (Bomber)
11-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Pm'd an order Nick ;)
just to let everyone know all orders was sent today! many thanks for your orders
Nick
Martyn (Bomber)
14-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Wow! Ordered 22:00 Saturday night, made and with me by Tuesday morning :thumbsup:
jonathan may
14-06-2011, 09:13 AM
When is the next batch or do we just pm you to order
I have stock at the moment so just pm me with the sizes you want
PaulUpton
14-06-2011, 09:35 AM
ran the 3 hole pistons Nick has been trying on friday night, car felt very good on them, left my setup the same just changed the pistons with 32,5w losi oil.
missed out on trying them on astro sunday do to the weather, but will compare tonight at the moto arena from last week.
Paul
ran the 3 hole pistons Nick has been trying on friday night, car felt very good on them, left my setup the same just changed the pistons with 32,5w losi oil.
missed out on trying them on astro sunday do to the weather, but will compare tonight at the moto arena from last week.
Paul
Pleased you liked them mate :thumbsup:
PaulUpton
15-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Ran the 3 holes again last night at moto arena, think they will be staying in for a while, car felt good, jumped better and landed better :thumbsup:
May want a 3 hole 1.55 all round though , which I may try
Paul
Just to say all orders have been posted today many thanks for the orders everyone
jonathan may
23-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks got them today in the post
taz5311
23-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Received mine in post today,:thumbsup:
Excallent service.
jonathan may
09-07-2011, 02:02 PM
would running 1.45mm 3 hole pistons in the front with losi 35wt oil be considerd stiff
Martyn (Bomber)
11-07-2011, 04:55 PM
would running 1.45mm 3 hole pistons in the front with losi 35wt oil be considerd stiff
Yes fairly stiff, I run this configuration but with the Blue springs ;)
Kommando98
12-07-2011, 02:36 AM
On my clay track (with some rough areas) im running a fairly soft setup. Stock 55 pistons all around with Losi 25 wt up front (red springs) and 20 wt in the rear (yellow springs). What is a comparable setup with the tapered pistons?
Are these pistons designed to rebound faster than they compress or what's the deal? What handling traits can I expect to improve? What traits will worsen?
Thanks!
You will always need to run a smaller hole piston if you run a tapered one than a standard. A 55 drill is 1.32mm on a taper piston I would run around 1.2mm to 1.25mm to get the same damping effect.
Hope this helps
Just to let you all know all orders have just been posted :thumbsup:
Just to say all orders have been posted out today
many thanks
Nick
OneKiwi
15-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Email sent
Just to say all orders have been packed and are in the post tomorrow :thumbsup:
Gnarly Old Dog
14-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Just received my Pistons thanks Nick.
Terrific service - thank you:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Can't wait to go test now;)
cryer-evo
07-11-2011, 07:46 PM
hi there i race on a very bumpy astro track
so what would you recommend i start with as a bass set ?
the only springs i have are fronts are red/silver/black rear are yellow/white
I ran all summer on astro with 1.45x3 hole front with 35w and black front springs rear 3x1.55 30w on pink or yellow rear springs
hope this helps
Just to say all pistons ordered before 11 last night have just been posted:thumbsup:
Many thanks for the orders and happy New Year
Hi all just to say all orders have just been posted:thumbsup:
Hi all! All orders was posted out last night :thumbsup:
Frecklychimp
14-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Hi Nick,
I would like 2 more pairs of 1.45x3 and 1.55x3 to put in my spare shocks and to try in the 22T.
Are you running at Arena X meeting this coming Sunday?
cheers matey :thumbsup:
yeah no problem mate will bring you some:thumbsup:
Thanks for the pistons, top quality.
Worked great today on our slightly bumpy, dusty, grass track.
Hi all just to say thanks for all the orders. They have all been sent :thumbsup:
Hi just to say thanks for the orders and the have all been posted :thumbsup: Also if anyone need any at the national i will have some with me! See you all at the weekend.
DragonRider
13-04-2012, 09:52 PM
pm sent
chusete
15-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Received on spain in friday, great quality and service. Thanks
Hi all just to say thanks for all the orders and they have all been posted
Hi all just to say all orders have been posted out yesterday :thumbsup:
chapuza
26-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Dear Nick,
I am not happy with your service. The thin standard paper envelope you used to send me the two pairs of pistons got ripped open somewhere on the way and one piston was missing when it arrived at my place.
The first time I emailed you about this issue was about two weeks ago, and since then I have sent you another two emails, however NO REACTION WHATSOEVER from you!
I find the packaging you used and your service dealing with my problem disappointing to say the least.
Please get back to me as soon as possible. I have paid for four pistons and have only received three.
:thumbdown:
chapuza
markw
24-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Hi , wats the best piston to run on bumpy grass track just after a set for the rear?
Hi Nick, could i order some tappered Kyosho big bore shocks pistons please?
I would need 4 pistons with 4x1,3mm holes ...
Can u help me?
Greetings from Belgium!! Neal
Your PM box is full...
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.