PDA

View Full Version : Holding onto the steering too much... Oversteer...


russmini
17-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Attempted to have a practice yesterday, but as usual, just turned into a free for all silly afternoon.

I did have a play with things, but it seemed no matter what i did, i would suffer from 'Oversteer'. I say that in apostrophies as it wasn't really oversteer...

Round basically the whole track, it would be fine, but then when coming onto the straight, it would kind of 'Grab' half way round the turn and really try to carry on turning... Does that make any sense... lol

I tried a few things:

Going to LRC on the Rear
Changing from 25' to 20' Kick Up on the Front.
Standing the Front shocks up more.
Taking the 50g weight off the Rear.

Was running Stagger Ribs up front, was thinking of changing to worn, cut Minispikes, but wanted to make it work with what was on there, got to be a way.

Any more in-depth ideas for me ?????

I'm not the best with Setups, so need to explain why as well.

Cheers, Russ.

rcjunky
17-04-2011, 07:03 PM
A similar thing has been happening to my CR at the end of the back streach and the spos that I went from left to right (or right to left) so I went from 35wt to 55wt all around but it still spins easily after the strait. So I'd start by going up on the shock oil, its sounding like its bottoming out then rotating (like my car was) or go to a smaller hole piston

Dalton
17-04-2011, 07:04 PM
I had similar today, running Kit set up with only shock changes (40w all round and tapered 1.3 6 hole pistons) It seemed to do it under acceleration only and i tried backing of the diff and ran it looser by 1.5 turns which seemed to smooth it out considerably. Ive rebuild diff tonight with ceramics as after 4 runs the kit balls feel soo notchy its unreal so this could explain its unpredictibility.

mrspeedy
17-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Sounds like you might need a bit more side grip from the rear.Try playing around with the washers under the camber links. I'd start with no washers inboard on the rear, and 2mm under the outer ballstud.

russmini
18-04-2011, 06:54 AM
Definitely not a rear grip issue. That was fine and bang on.

Iwas as though the car just wanted to carry on turning...

I'm thinking the rear shock oil may be getting a bit soft after a coule of race meetings and practice sessions and the back is sitting down a lot and 'helping'/ exagerating the front end grip and therefore giving me my 'problem'

It was the only area of the track that you could nail the throttle (and had to), so of course with weight transfer etc, the rear was sat right down and over to the left, as it was a right turn...

Was going to re-do the shocks anyway today, so maybe that will help.

What do you think ????

Gnarly Old Dog
18-04-2011, 07:27 AM
I'd possibly try the 25 degree kickup but with the 5 or even 3 degree caster blocks.
This would help smooth the exit transition and may help you get on the power without the front end grabbing.

If the rear end is not sliding or breaking away, then I would possibly try stiffening the front - standing the shock up would (IMO) make it worse - laying it over would stiffen it during roll and make it want to push a bit more.

What springs are you running? Does it look as if the front end is loading up during the corner and dumping over onto the outside front wheel?

pugboy
18-04-2011, 07:31 AM
When you rebuild the shocks check that the piston moves freely up and down and is not being fouled by either o rings on shaft or piston on cartridge. Also check steering assembly isn't binding.