View Full Version : Optima Mid and Brushless
Bagman
18-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Just a quick question for those in the know. How many turn brushless motor should you go to on a bog standard Optima Mid?
Cheers in advance
chonkat
09-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Ooooh, oohh!!! Did you get any answers elsewhere, or figure it out ??? I'm wondering exactly the same thing now--- How many turns motor should I get if I go brushless with my Optima Mid?!?!
Also-- Can I use NiCd's for now with, say a Mamba ESC and motor and then hop over to LiPo?? Would the NiCd's just have really short run times?
Any input greatly appreciated!!!
Jon Q
peetbee
09-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Missed this first time round!
I've run one with a 10.5 in it for 6 meetings and wouldn't want to use anything more powerful as I'm not sure that the belt would cope.
(that's with lipo too)
Belsten
09-06-2011, 06:13 PM
I ran a 13.5 in mine indoors and I DOMINATED :thumbsup:
VintageRacer
09-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Would I be safe with a 13.5 in a chain drive Optima too?
kartstuffer
09-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Talking of Optimas ,does anyone know where to get front hubs and wishbones for a turbo optima.Cheers.:thumbsup:
chonkat
10-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Thank you guys! Still reading up- cool that now there've been leaps in motor power and power src tech! Well, I guess I should've known, it hAs been since like 1990!
Knowing you've got Optimas- Other than paying like $70 and/or waiting on eBay, any ideas about where to get a front shock for mine? Or "other" shocks that would be sized about right (so far I only know to look for gold, platinum, or the red option house ones)
dodgydiy
10-06-2011, 10:10 PM
time to get the ruler out..... on a mid the associated 2wd fronts fit the front ok but you need to restrict their travel, rears are ok too, seem to remember using different length shafts although i am not sure, been a long time. old optima is a bit more difficult, mine used to have brimod shocks on an upright fibreglass tower at the front and brimod on standard tower rear
superdez
10-06-2011, 10:58 PM
At a guess I would say associated 0.56 stroke should fit.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX2587&P=7
chonkat
15-06-2011, 01:13 AM
Ordered the associated 0.56 for the front of my Optima Mid, with 2 sets of springs to test the tensions... and 50W oil...
Any opinions on this combo for a stock Optima Mid?
Associated 540R 3900kV Motor/XP SC450-BL ESC
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXZMX2&P=0
Thanks,
Jon Q
TallTopher
10-09-2013, 08:08 PM
I've just put a 3900KV Toro into one of my Optima Mids. It's fast enough to worry me a little about how it will wear but it sure is fun. Any observations by others on how they hold up?
Welshy40
10-09-2013, 08:28 PM
I ran a 13.5 in mine indoors and I DOMINATED :thumbsup:
Only cause you cut half the track against me. :thumbsup: Still may be an idea to tension the rear belt if your using as they may strip.
DanB4
11-09-2013, 04:25 AM
I ran my LWB Mid hard in Oz with a 10.5 system and LiPo's (see my avatar ;)) - it survived but now hasa B4 slipper fitted to hopefully prolong the life of the transmission.
terry.sc
11-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Only cause you cut half the track against me. :thumbsup: Still may be an idea to tension the rear belt if your using as they may strip.
Just like to point out the Mid doesn't have a rear belt:lol: although the idler gear is a weak point in the drivetrain.
optiman
12-09-2013, 02:48 PM
I use to run my Mid Custom with a brushed Trinity 12turns and 8.4volts, quite fast. If I remember well it was faster than a BL 3600Kv maybe more. Everything was new inside and never had any problems in about 6 meetings. Belt drive was 100% sealed so this may have contributed to having 0 issues.
Why did I part of that buggy....? :wub:cry:
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.