View Full Version : What's the diameter of standard losi shocks?
wacattack
27-04-2011, 05:50 PM
What's the diameter of the standard (not big bore) shocks?
Also, how many holes and what size hole pistons did people run with the losi xxxcr?
steveproracing
27-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Standard shocks are approx 10mm
Losi standard pistons always had 3 holes
The most common combo for the cr was 56# pistons with 35/30wt oil.
The pistons range from:-
black. 57#
Red 56#
Orange 55#
Blue. 54#
Wacker 2
27-04-2011, 07:36 PM
I'm assuming that your wanting to calculate what piston (size and number of holes) you would need to get the same damping properties as what was commonly ran on the CR (or CR2).
I've already worked it out, along with others who have all come to the same conclusion...
If you ran 3 hole #56 pistons in the old losi shocks... then you run 4 hole #56 pistons in the new big bore shocks.
This should give you the same damping properties as before.
I've gotta be honest I'm really unsure of why people are going to the 5 or 6 hole pistons on the 22 with the big bores, seeing as the cars weigh around the same, they're still 2wd and still have a simular weight distribution front to back (depending on where you put the weight)!!
I'm still running 4 hole pistons based on my theory of having the 'same' shock set up as I used to run on the CR2 and its working great!
Until somebody manages to explain 'why' I should go to 5 or 6 holes in a manner I understand, I'm gonna keep running the kit 4 hole pistons.
That said, I am thinking of trying to find somebody who will machine me some standard 4 hole pistons (not tapered cos I still cant get my head round them!!) with evenly spaced holes cos I'm not overly keen on the kit ones as they appear to be moulded and snapped of a 'tree' which leaves burrs and just dont feel very smooth!
Just my opinion :thumbsup:
wacattack
27-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Exactly my thinking mate, but I'm wanting to go 1 step further by running 3 holed pistons but increasing the size of the holes proportionally to generate the same effect.
It's exactly what the Schumacher boys have done and so too are Durango. Its something I've wanted forest since I got the car but I've had limited track time in recent weeks
steveproracing
27-04-2011, 08:29 PM
In that case to create a version of the red 56# piston. You would want a 3 hole 1.5mm piston
Cockerill
27-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Exactly my thinking mate, but I'm wanting to go 1 step further by running 3 holed pistons but increasing the size of the holes proportionally to generate the same effect.
It's exactly what the Schumacher boys have done...
Have we?
Wacker 2
27-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Im afraid I may have to correct you there...
It's all about circle area:
Number 56 pistons have a hole size of approx 3/64" which Is roughly 1.19mm
Circle diameter of 1.19mm would create a circle area of 1.1122 (check out some of the online calculators)
1.1122 x 4 holes (kit pistons) is 4.4488
For the same circle are but with 3 hole...
4.4488 / 3 is 1.483
To get a circle are of 1.483 (per hole) you would need a hole diameter of 1.374mm - therefore the closest you'd get is 3 hole 1.4mm pistons!
To be exact. The 3 x 1.4mm holed pistons would creat a total circle are of 4.618... Slightly more than the 4 hole #56 (1.19mm holes)
Hope this helps?!
Jon!
steveproracing
27-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Sorry my bad. I went down a different road. I worked on the principal that the new shocks are 20% larger than old shocks so just increased the hole size by the same!!
Only half read the original post
Sorry
Wacker 2
27-04-2011, 11:53 PM
:woot: No probs... I just like going technical on everybody's ass... makes me feel intelligent! LMAO :thumbsup:
wacattack
28-04-2011, 06:04 AM
Have we?
Some
pugboy
28-04-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm assuming that your wanting to calculate what piston (size and number of holes) you would need to get the same damping properties as what was commonly ran on the CR (or CR2).
I've already worked it out, along with others who have all come to the same conclusion...
If you ran 3 hole #56 pistons in the old losi shocks... then you run 4 hole #56 pistons in the new big bore shocks.
This should give you the same damping properties as before.
I've gotta be honest I'm really unsure of why people are going to the 5 or 6 hole pistons on the 22 with the big bores, seeing as the cars weigh around the same, they're still 2wd and still have a simular weight distribution front to back (depending on where you put the weight)!!
I'm still running 4 hole pistons based on my theory of having the 'same' shock set up as I used to run on the CR2 and its working great!
Until somebody manages to explain 'why' I should go to 5 or 6 holes in a manner I understand, I'm gonna keep running the kit 4 hole pistons.
That said, I am thinking of trying to find somebody who will machine me some standard 4 hole pistons (not tapered cos I still cant get my head round them!!) with evenly spaced holes cos I'm not overly keen on the kit ones as they appear to be moulded and snapped of a 'tree' which leaves burrs and just dont feel very smooth!
Just my opinion :thumbsup:
Regarding the stock pistons, I noticed the burrs when building mine and it definitely created resistance, so I stripped and dremelled the burrs off carefully until they were all free and even. I suspect many less experienced racers have built them with the resistance from the burrs and could be a cause of some people complaining they can't get the car to handle right.
Wacker 2
28-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Yeah, I noticed it straight away when building the kit so I took them off with a sharp crafts knife but I'm still not overly happy with them.
I'm looking to change the O rings in the shocks also as the kit ones 'pinch' the shaft and doesn't allow it to run as free as it should do.
All in all I'm really happy with the handling of the car... I've only ran it as mid motor up to now on grass and astro, but I've recently built it up as rear motor to give that a bash - i used to luv racing my old B4 but never had enough steering/front grip for my liking... certainly not something that the 22 suffers with so maybe this will work best for my style of driving?!
Thats the benefit of this car... you have the option to try new things rather than buy a whole new car :thumbsup:
JB!
pugboy
28-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I noticed it straight away when building the kit so I took them off with a sharp crafts knife but I'm still not overly happy with them.
I'm looking to change the O rings in the shocks also as the kit ones 'pinch' the shaft and doesn't allow it to run as free as it should do.
All in all I'm really happy with the handling of the car... I've only ran it as mid motor up to now on grass and astro, but I've recently built it up as rear motor to give that a bash - i used to luv racing my old B4 but never had enough steering/front grip for my liking... certainly not something that the 22 suffers with so maybe this will work best for my style of driving?!
Thats the benefit of this car... you have the option to try new things rather than buy a whole new car :thumbsup:
JB!
With the shock o rings i noticed that, but once i got a good blob of green slime in there and worked the shaft in and out a bit (sounds dodgy i know) it freed up. I do find the shocks weep a little but they have kept the damping and don't seem to have gone squelchy. Not tried the rear motor set up yet but may give it a go as I too prefered to drive my CR to my x6 once i had got a set up where it steered properly. Very impressed with the 22 so far and hardly even experimented yet with set ups.
The Pookster
28-04-2011, 06:11 PM
With lots of testing my dampers have worn in nicely and the o rings aren't as tight. Interestingly the nitride coating on the shafts has worn to different degres on all 4 dampers but they are all now smooth but do weep a little oil. I also took the burrs of the pistons when new.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.