View Full Version : Steel Trailing Axle Strength
I've got the steel trailing axles on both my X6's but yesterday one snapped after a small tumble. I'd have thought these would be super tough but as it broke that rather than any of the plastic parts it makes me wonder if they're too brittle or did I just get a duff axle?
How is everyone else finding them?
I don't want to be buying these too often really :(.
/tobys
27-04-2011, 09:36 PM
I had exactly the same problem on my X6 EC last year - broke one on a minor track marking clip first meeting out.
I've replaced with the B4 non-FT (i.e. the ones you use a nut with) as these are solid steel so by my reckoning would be stronger. Not had any issues so far...
ian h
27-04-2011, 09:42 PM
I never had a problem with the one and only pair I ever bought for my x6, I did however snap a couple of the ft alloy ones.
Southwell
27-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Ive snapped a few in the past, using non FT ones generally fixes the issue as they arn't hollow. Personally i run the screw type as i tended to catch the nuts quite a lot when i ran them.
sparrow.2
27-04-2011, 10:19 PM
i tended to catch the nuts quite a lot when i ran them.
Sounds painfull... :woot:
caneye
28-04-2011, 12:01 AM
is anyone using this XF part? :thumbsup:
XFC2601
http://c0456141.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/images/medium/xfc/xfc2601.jpg
_sleigh_
28-04-2011, 12:48 AM
You also have the option of the AE FT Titanium axles. :thumbsup:
http://www.teamassociated.com/factoryteam/parts/details/9789/
is anyone using this XF part? :thumbsup:
XFC2601
http://c0456141.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/images/medium/xfc/xfc2601.jpg
These are what I'm running. Problem seems to be that because they're threaded all the way through there's only a small amount material left. Mine snapped where the thin end meets the hex.
I like them because of the screw holding them in but at £10 a pair its not a cheap spare to be keeping. I might give those Titanium ones a try next.
super__dan
28-04-2011, 07:26 AM
Mark,
I've personally never had nor ever seen one of these break so I don't think there is a common problem as such.
Dan
Darren Boyle
28-04-2011, 12:11 PM
These are what I'm running. Problem seems to be that because they're threaded all the way through there's only a small amount material left. Mine snapped where the thin end meets the hex.
I like them because of the screw holding them in but at £10 a pair its not a cheap spare to be keeping. I might give those Titanium ones a try next.
Titanium will be "lighter" than steel but not as strong.......
N7ELA
28-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Titanium will be "lighter" than steel but not as strong.......
A bold statement unless you happen to know the tensile strength AE use for their titanium ones against X-Factorys Steel ones.
As a general rule though, Titanium is lighter and Stronger than steel. :thumbsup:
danDanEFC
28-04-2011, 02:20 PM
I did one of these the other week and it snapped in the same place. It only looked like a little knock but the front wheel did bend under the car as Jimbob lovingly tapped me going on to the SRCC strait.
I replaced it with a FT AE one!
Chrislong
28-04-2011, 02:33 PM
As a general rule though, Titanium is lighter and Stronger than steel. :thumbsup:
Titanium is more rigid, it will snap. Steel is less rigid and bends, then snaps.
When we buy something titanium like a turnbuckle it is usually thicker, therefore stronger yet overall still lighter than steel.
I recon that if the inner and outer holes were only drilled to half the depth then the steel axles would be indestructable. The weakness comes from the fact theyre completely hollow.
Now Ive had a really good look at the broken one it looks like it may have been fractured for a while. There are different colours of stress marks, some look bright and fresh but some look dull like the steel has had time to oxodise.
I'll check the other three and see what theyre like. If theyre all OK I'll get another pair of steel ones ad have one spare, If theyre showing signs of fratigue I'll try the Ti ones.
On another note I managed to break one of the xfactory rear axles too when I was hit from behind a few months ago. It only poped off the top link but snapped the U-joint. Does X-Factory need a strength tester because I'd be perfect for the job :lol:.
rcjunky
28-04-2011, 07:48 PM
its a common misconception with the steength of titanium, its stronger by weight, but weaker by volume, so 2 identicle peices out of titanium and steel, the steel will be stronger and heavyer, but is the weight of a front axle matter that much?
NeilRalph77
28-04-2011, 10:40 PM
On another note I managed to break one of the xfactory rear axles too when I was hit from behind a few months ago. It only poped off the top link but snapped the U-joint. Does X-Factory need a strength tester because I'd be perfect for the job :lol:.
You recon? think i out broke you the other week!:thumbdown:
matdodd
28-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Ive ran the XFC2601 axles since they have been available and have never broken one yet but I broke lots of the AE FT ones in the past.
Ive always run the steel axles with a 10mm screw to hold the wheel in place instead of the standard short one, which I think should support the axle better in a crash.
YoungChazz
28-04-2011, 10:56 PM
We have seen a few of the first production run break like this. In the second run, which has been in distribution for about nine months, the threads do not go all the way through. There are no threads at the spot where the breakage used to occur.
Think about it some. The spindle is unsprung weight, so you want it as light as possible, thus AE's aluminum axle. By drilling our steel one out we get a weight almost as light as their solid alu axle. Further, a tube resists bending better than a bar, so the drilled axle should be stronger.
You'll be amazed at the force a 2 1/2 pound car at 20MPH transmits through a single point (the axle) when it hits something that is not supposed to move (the pipe).
We've had better (not perfect) results with the current 2601s. I think D.M.S. should have only the new ones in stock now. It was a running change.
Ahh, I got mine when they first came out so its probably an old version. Do I get a free new set to replace these old ones? :woot:
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.