PDA

View Full Version : losi xxx cr mid motor


adey
30-05-2011, 09:33 PM
i made this over a few days, i tried it on carpet and it was superb. Sorry about pic quality.

chemax92
30-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Good work!
I like the way you reinforced the gearbox with turnbuckles. I was thinking the same on my MadMonkey. For my is better solution than the Xfactory standard motorplate and transmission brace.

Cheers!

Tom3012
30-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Nice work! Personally i love seeing modded cars, even better when they work well :thumbsup:

adey
30-05-2011, 10:12 PM
it handles like a well sorted 4wd car. I have been running a x6 squared for a while now and it goes great but this losi mid was just so easy too be fast with. It cost 12 quid in materials and 45 quid for a low profile servo

Wacker 2
30-05-2011, 11:27 PM
Great work.... Looks very simular to the Atomic Carbon CR2 but at a fraction of the cost... if it handles anything like the CR2 then you're definately onto a winner.

Luving the bodyshell... Nice and bright but in a retro kind of design! :thumbsup:

I too was noticing your turnbuckle braces... I was thinking of doing the same for my CR2 instead of using the small 'L' motor plate brace but didn't know what turnbuckles would be long enough. What turnbuckles have you used???

Good work, Jon! :drool:

OneKiwi
31-05-2011, 07:10 AM
could you do a write up of what you did please Id love to give it a try

Is it as simple as turning the shocks and gear box around and cutting the chassis so it fits?

rcjunky
31-05-2011, 11:05 AM
it looks like he made a new t-plate, but you literally can take the tranny and tower, rotate it 180*, drill 3 new holes (2 for the tranny, 1 for the tower) and do alot of hacking on the chassis and it will bolt on. I make one similar but it have the battery across the chassis (more weight transfer for dirt) and it was more of a hack, but this one looks very well done. I'm intruiged by the steering, can you post more close up pics? I often though of making a chassis with a stand up servo but could never figure out how to get the angle on the steering little tie rod right.

OneKiwi
31-05-2011, 11:18 AM
It does look well done.. Im in the process of looking for a lowprofile servo so I can do the same as the normal ones won't work for me.
And my lipos are just a touch too long to have sideways, I don't really want to cut away too much stability.
But then again I could reinforce with some turnbuckles here and there

adey
31-05-2011, 05:28 PM
i am also working on a twin deck carbon version of this and will post pics when done. Regarding the question about the turnbuckles, i just had them off a rc10t. The rear t piece has been extented by 6mm as i really wanted the lipo down the centre. I am happy to answer any questions but i think it maybe easier just to put these pics up. I have already been asked too make another for a friend.

adey
31-05-2011, 05:42 PM
best i got of the steering

OneKiwi
31-05-2011, 05:52 PM
I tried today and it wans't just a case of turning it all around.

My motor rubbed on the chassis plate that I had to take a lot off then there was nealry nothing to screw the t plate to.

What have you guys done?

Raised the motor?
new screw holes to hold the motor?
what have you screwed the t plate to?

What did you make the t plate out of?

PS thanks for the pics but could you get ones that are in focus please

adey
31-05-2011, 06:33 PM
i know, sorry about picture quality ile try and get that sorted asap. I made the t piece out off fibreglass and moved gearbox back slightly but encountered none off the problems that you did. Why dont you post pics off yours so i can see.

rcjunky
31-05-2011, 07:03 PM
raising the tranny and shock tower by about 1/8" (3mm) will help, I should of said that the firsd time.

adey
31-05-2011, 07:15 PM
i wanted a psi racing conversion but couldnt find one anywhere. I am trying too get a four gear transmission if anybody can help.

OneKiwi
31-05-2011, 07:17 PM
would have been nice to know that.. there goes that chassis, anyone got one lying around?

I made a t plate from 4mm plexiglass but I didn't ahve enough left of the chassis to screw it to.

I can do pics of the chassis but I have since converted back to rear motor.

I have the bits to do a midmotor, well all except an extra chassis

adey
31-05-2011, 07:25 PM
i wanted a psi racing conversion but couldnt find one anywhere. I am trying too get a four gear transmission if anybody can help.

adey
31-05-2011, 07:35 PM
i wanted a psi racing conversion but couldnt find one anywhere. I am trying too get a four gear transmission if anybody can help.

adey
31-05-2011, 07:46 PM
sorry about repeating myself. I am reloading the page and it just repeats my last message.

Wacker 2
31-05-2011, 11:12 PM
i wanted a psi racing conversion but couldnt find one anywhere. I am trying too get a four gear transmission if anybody can help.

Me too... I'm looking for a 4 gear transmission but have had no response from the email that I sent to PSI racing?!

Can anybody help us?? Is PSI even still running??

Thanks, Jon!

rcjunky
01-06-2011, 01:28 AM
I'm in no way affiliated with PSI but was a team driver and know the original owner very well. Since he sold the company, I have talked to the new owner about a little project I had going and things progressed well, had quick responses etc, but as soon as I asked about getting another PSI kit I never heard from him. I have one of the LMX kits with the 4 gear tranny and its an amazing car, maybe as get or better then the 22. I have all my xxx stuff for sale to get a 22 simply because I want a new car (same line of buggies since I started, time for a change) I'm not sure what the new owners status with the company is and I wish I could help, since I'm pretty close with the previous owner I could of had the cad files if the new owner had no interest in them (he sold it as a cnc/computer/file package deal, I would of bought it if I was allowed) but he led the old owner to blive he was going to expand the buisness as he had much greater resources etc, but it seems like after making the joke of a website thats all I've heard from him. It would be risky buy maybe someone should just buy a kit off the site then file a claim if theres an issue. I truely wish thing had gone better with the new owner and I simply don't have the funds to make the kits (I have the contacts to 100% replicate the kits but I don't have the cash to get the files made unless someone wanted a wack load of them, yes it may not be legal to copy something but i could improuve it to the gen2 idea me and the previous owner had so its not identicle, yes, a gen2 impouved version was very close o being released, I basically have home made proto's of those parts) I wish I could be of more help:bored: but I could sell you my car:woot:

adey
01-06-2011, 05:07 PM
can you give me details on the car like, condition and price please.

Dr_UpGrade
02-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Be careful if you want a PSI kit... They tend to break on high grip surfaces (especially carpet over here in the UK). The good thing about RCjunky's car is that he has strengthened the upper decks with thicker material so shouldn't suffer (hopefully) from this any more.

OneKiwi
02-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Ok so being a stubbon bugger I gave it another try today heres the results:
No body as yet Ill see if I keep it as a mid

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/simonandhanna/IMAG0202.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/simonandhanna/IMAG0203.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/simonandhanna/IMAG0204.jpg

I don't have a LP servo so the lipo had to go in sideways

I think making a longer t plate and having the motor a little further back would then allow for the LP servo and the lipo to go in straight

Now just to test it out, hopefully tomorrow

rcjunky
02-06-2011, 07:27 PM
I actually used a busted main chassis ( I had the fist kit made, the spot it broke was redisgned before anyone else got there hands on a kit) and I've run it weekly since January or carpet and no issues at all, that was one of the planed revisions for a gen2 kit tht never happened but I think the files where made and the new owner should be able to make them (but a 2 peice design with the extra thickness to reduce costs) but I know this was an issue before we started carpet so the stock flexy upper deck is still on one peice, so it still works amazingly on dirt. The xxx-cr thats mid motor is much better, even my home brew conversion was better then stock.

adey
02-06-2011, 10:41 PM
i just moved my idler gear bellow the spur so i can use any pinion. It was difficult but it works well. I had to drill and tap the motor plate.

adey
02-06-2011, 10:46 PM
the pics posted of the mid by onekiwi seem too show the rear wheels having toe out ?. May just be the way the photos were taken tho.

OneKiwi
03-06-2011, 05:25 AM
I haven't changed anythiing since I turned them around
Any set up tips?

adey
03-06-2011, 05:47 AM
make sure you have left the rear pivot blocks the correct way around and only turned the gearbox around. The other thing that i found is that i run is lots of droop at the rear.

rcjunky
03-06-2011, 11:09 AM
lots of droop is good for these cars, and you keep the stock pivot facing the same direction. For dirt I ran the shocks all the way to the inside for the most droop, for carpet its just slammed to the ground.

adey
06-06-2011, 07:55 PM
i got a old motor plate off a mate and drilled it to accept the idler gear to make a 4 gear transmission. I can use any size pinion. Its not that neat but works just fine. Sorry about pic quality.

rcjunky
06-06-2011, 08:39 PM
When the losi PSI conversion came out there wasn't a 4 gear tranny, instead there was a similar extrenal system, except it had a cam type system so it would also work with any spur and pinion :P but it moved the motor too far forward as it would with any external system, so the 4 gear system actually made the car faster with more rear weight.

adey
06-06-2011, 10:05 PM
when you used the psi car, did you consider running the lipo down the centre. I know it would give less rear traction but mine is down the centre and it has loads of rear grip on any surface.

rcjunky
06-06-2011, 10:48 PM
I tried saddles like the 22 has and it had too much front weight, a lipo down the center would be worse, it pushed really bad entering, and super loose exiting. it also would need to revise the steering set up to do it. BTW I still run the car and beat 22's with ease :D

Wacker 2
06-06-2011, 11:15 PM
I tried the 22 and after only 3 or 4 weeks of running the car and trying to get it working, I just had to give up and go back to the CR2...

I built the CR2 up from bits that a mate of mine (team Crocker, lol) had lying around in his kit... chucked it together on a Thursday nights over a few beers and raced it on the Saturday... I won the days racing, beating many many 22 drivers - and then repeated the win the following week! Fingers crossed that next weekend I'll maintain my 100% record!!!

The 22 will be a good car in approx 6 - 12 months time, but it is not yet!

Whilst we're talking about CR2's... I've been in touch with a guy who can make some 4 geared gearbox's for the CR2. He's sounding a wee bit cold about the idea of making some as it takes so long to set the machine up. So I'm trying to drum up some interest to see if there are any other CR2 drivers that would be interested at having one made?? I already know of about 6 but the more the better - if there's lots then he'll have no choice but to give into demand :thumbsup:

Good times, Jon!

OneKiwi
07-06-2011, 05:05 AM
I did the same in the last pic but had my gear we can say on the top..

I ran a losi 6.5 84 and 19/20 and it got hot...

In that pic isn't that 3 gears not 4? pinion spur and idle, wheres the fourth

adey
07-06-2011, 10:14 AM
the external idler is the 4th gear in effect onekiwi. I had seen a mod where people were using a 20t pinion only and using a longer motor screw with the idler on it. I wanted to use different pinions so i didnt want to do that tho. I am making a twin deck carbon version of my car in the next few weeks.

OneKiwi
07-06-2011, 11:28 AM
thats what I did.. a pain if ya want to change pinions. I am getting an extra motor plate so I may just drill another hole or make the motor mount holes a little bigger so I can move the motor around a little more

rcjunky
07-06-2011, 01:09 PM
For those interested, I got an email back from the new PSI owner and he said he's set up to make kits and has been working on improuving the tranny cases due to some quality issues and he'll be using a differant machine to make the holes for the bearings (he never said what tool he'd use but I think it might be a boreing head on a verticle mill) but he can currently make kits so if you want one, send him an email, he thinks his spam filter might be why people aren't getting replies :(

Northy
07-06-2011, 01:24 PM
When the losi PSI conversion came out there wasn't a 4 gear tranny, instead there was a similar extrenal system, except it had a cam type system so it would also work with any spur and pinion :P but it moved the motor too far forward as it would with any external system, so the 4 gear system actually made the car faster with more rear weight.

The 4 gear gearbox made my CR2 slower :woot:

rcjunky
07-06-2011, 04:27 PM
maybe I'll try the old cam gear system tonight, it will still just bolt right in and now running carpet I haven't tried it, but I'm concerned it might make things worse as my car is pretty dialed now, and it doesn't need any more steering (going from yellow rears to blue makes it undrivable, touch the gas and you'll spin)

adey
07-06-2011, 04:44 PM
ill try to contact psi racing reagarding a kit then. I dont want to make any enemies here but think a mid motored xxx is better than the tlr 22. I run a x6 squared and its setup great and i love running it and i have had great results with it, however my mid xxx just feels faster.

rcjunky
07-06-2011, 06:45 PM
I don't think your far off, mine handles amazingly on carpet, I just want a new car :D. When you einquire about a kit, make sure you ask for the thicker top deck if you plan on running a high grip track (carpet or astro) but you want the original top deck for low grip. I'm not sure if he's ready to sell 4 gear trannies so I think it would come with the older 4 gear cam gear system or you might need to reverse your motor.

adey
07-06-2011, 07:30 PM
how did you contact him. I have never found the psi website ?

rcjunky
07-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Its a pretty bad website but it has contact info

http://psi-rc.com/

adey
07-06-2011, 08:54 PM
damn u were right. That website is awful. I think ill email him for details. If will only buy a psi kit if it had the 4 gear transmission though. I spoke too jonathan at atomic carbon who thinks he may be able to get the 4 gear transsmission produced soon.

tmaxxlosixxx
17-06-2011, 09:39 PM
i am also working on a twin deck carbon version of this and will post pics when done. Regarding the question about the turnbuckles, i just had them off a rc10t. The rear t piece has been extented by 6mm as i really wanted the lipo down the centre. I am happy to answer any questions but i think it maybe easier just to put these pics up. I have already been asked too make another for a friend.

i used this conversion on my car last nite that he did for me and it works great a new lease of life for xxxcr cheap conversion but makes big difference my thoughts u all want one lol:woot:

branstonpickle
17-06-2011, 09:58 PM
what size are u makeing the t plate could someone show just a pic of it with the sizes thx

tmaxxlosixxx
17-06-2011, 10:10 PM
youll have to pm adey his the one who makes them thanx

adey
17-06-2011, 11:02 PM
ill try too get my twin deck version sorted soon. Its going to be put onto CAD and sent to fibrelyte so its going to be a nice with all the carbon. Heres a question though. Should i work on a more current 2wd as the losi is no longer the current model which is a shame as i really like the car.

Dr_UpGrade
18-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Adey,
Are you making these for the public then? I'd be interested in a new T peice from you... Let me know and I'll pm you.

Cheers,

Mark

adey
18-06-2011, 09:41 AM
tell you what ill do. Ill do a quick mock up on some card and send too fibrelyte. Ill sell them for the price they charge me plus postage. Then ill put detailed pics of where to dremel the chassis. The servo posts are from maplins and are about a quid. Ill also put details on the alloy tubes and bolts i used. What you all think ?

Rocking Donkey
18-06-2011, 09:41 AM
I'd be interested in a t-piece as well, or if you have a drawing of it with the positions of the holes then I'll try making my own. Also, what did you make the t-piece out of?

Cheers

Ben

adey
18-06-2011, 10:30 AM
i made it from fibreglass plate. I think carbon one would be better though.

Dr_UpGrade
18-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Adey,
sounds great, cheers.... Keep posting whern you've got the stuff back from fibrelyte.

Mark

adey
19-06-2011, 06:40 PM
i have had people request me to make them t pieces for them. Just to keep you all informed, i am sending the design to fibrelyte on tuesday. I will request that they make five in total in 3mm carbon. I will charge the price fibrelyte charge me plus postage only. If anybody else wants one please PM me before tuesday 3pm so i can ask for more. Thanks for your interest.

OneKiwi
19-06-2011, 06:45 PM
yes please Ill take one

Rocking Donkey
21-06-2011, 10:01 AM
does anyone know how much longer the xxxt chassis is that the standard xxx chassis? I'd like to try to squeeze a standard size servo in there.

adey
22-06-2011, 05:45 PM
just to let you all know, i spoke to fibrelyte today and they got my design. They are happy with my drawings and will have a price for the item next week. I am expecting it too be less than ten quid though. And i can tell you that my conversion works using that small lipo and allows a regular size servo.

Dr_UpGrade
22-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Good news Adey, especially on the price front! Cheers...

Mark

OneKiwi
22-06-2011, 06:20 PM
nice work.. are you going to do a kit with the tubing etc.

adey
22-06-2011, 06:41 PM
i could get tubing if required. i am concentraiting my efforts on my twin deck mid motor project at the moment though. i am drawing up plans to send to fibrelyte as we speak.

adey
27-06-2011, 07:01 PM
hi guys, just to let you know that fibrelyte have got back to me regarding the t-piece. they say that it will cost 14.75 plus postage however if i order a few of them they will reduce the cost by a third. I have requested they make one and send it to me so i can make sure its correct. I expect to recive it in the next few days. if all ok i will order ones for everybody who has requested them or they can be ordered direct from fibrelyte. A pm will be sent to all who asked for them.

adey
30-06-2011, 03:55 PM
the 1st t-piece being posted by fibrelyte to me today. Ill post pics when i receive it. I just hope i have done the measurements correctly and it fits properly.

adey
04-07-2011, 07:14 PM
opinions guys please

tmaxxlosixxx
04-07-2011, 07:49 PM
looks good loads of strength let see how it goes

rcjunky
04-07-2011, 08:36 PM
I would of made the aluminum part of the chassis narrower like the durango prototype and move the battery as close to the motor as possible, but otherwise it looks good. One thing you may want to look at before running it is see how much flex is in the xxx-nt bulkhead, I know on my PSI car that bulkhead has a whole lot of flex in it without the top deck, so some braces from the top of it behind the shock tower back to the servo mount area might be needed

adey
04-07-2011, 08:58 PM
i have removed the turnbuckles now and fitted a t-piece from the motor plate to the chassis. I didnt use a brace or a topdeck at the suggestion of jonathan clark (atomic carbon) who supplied the chassis. Great guy to talk to and get advice off.

Rocking Donkey
22-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Hi Adey,

How did the t-piece turn out?

Ben

adey
26-07-2011, 12:39 PM
the t pieces i had back from fibrelyte were incorrect. I have sent them a redesign now though. Over the last few weeks my partner has been and still is very ill and i have put everything on hold as i am sure you will understand. I will ask you all to have a look at a pic i posted off a chassis made i alloy i use. I did rather well at hinkley on saturday.

Dr_UpGrade
26-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles Adey, No worries from me on putting things on hold for now. Hope everything goes as best as it can for you and your partner...

All the best,

Mark
(and yes, those metal chassis from Jonathan are good aren't they!)

MOGGIE XL
27-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Do Atomic Carbone have those aluminium chassis in stock or do they make them to order.

Dr_UpGrade
27-07-2011, 05:28 PM
I think you may need to get in touch with Atomic Carbon, or Oldtimer or Northy on here, to see what (if any) stocks they may still have... Good luck!

MOGGIE XL
27-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Cheers i'll see what is available.