View Full Version : RC Delta Plane
RCRacing88
30-05-2011, 11:41 PM
I made this over the weekend :)
Its made from medium thickness cardboard, strengthened with 2mm carbon fibre rods throughout main wing and tail piece, it has turnigy 1.5kg servo's, 20a esc and outrunner motor, also running my futaba skysports 6 radio - it's not ideal because it doesn't support elevon mixing but it will do.
I will be running the delta on 3s lipo, and hopefully t has enough power to stay in the air.
I have never flown a delta wing before so its a bit hit + miss, but ill give it a try.
all components are from previous 3d foamy plane I built a while back, but didn't do much with since it snapped almost straight away!
anyway, here some pictures, let me know what you think :)
I will be posting a few video's soon when I get it running with a new batt and if it flies.
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5959/cimg00022.jpg
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6269/cimg0003qx.jpg
http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/7800/cimg00092.jpg
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4442/cimg00112.jpg
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1033/cimg00122.jpg
coleman758
31-05-2011, 12:02 AM
I LOVE THE FACT ITS MADE FROM CARD!!
its cost like 20p to build :thumbsup::thumbsup:
BARGAIN
RCRacing88
31-05-2011, 12:05 AM
Yeah, its got a little bit of weight to it, but then again I think 3s lipo will be able to handle that weight and give it enough lift.
It was great fun to build too!
even if it doesnt fly, it'll be be hanging on my shop wall :D
coleman758
31-05-2011, 11:38 AM
It should be called the:
DELTA 20P
Cardnim
31-05-2011, 11:43 AM
errr, are the wings shaped for lift?
If not its going to have to go at Mach 9 to stay airborne (i.e. be a missle!) :)
...I cannie do it Cap'n. I joos dun av de powwoor!!!! :p
RCRacing88
31-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Great name! ha ha
that's what i'll call it from now on ;)
RCRacing88
31-05-2011, 11:46 AM
errr, are the wings shaped for lift?
If not its going to have to go at Mach 9 to stay airborne (i.e. be a missle!) :)
...I cannie do it Cap'n. I joos dun av de powwoor!!!! :p
They arent shaped for lift, though the motor is angled upwards slightly, and I have tried to make it as aerodynamically friendly as I possibly could with smooth edges :)
Hope fully it should go with a 3s pack ;)
RCRacing88
31-05-2011, 11:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4z9T00zLhg
jameswilkinson7
31-05-2011, 12:21 PM
errr, are the wings shaped for lift?
If not its going to have to go at Mach 9 to stay airborne (i.e. be a missle!) :)
...I cannie do it Cap'n. I joos dun av de powwoor!!!! :p
Ive flown loads of odd planes with wings without a lift section, never had a problem. I reckon it will fly no worries.
Never seen a separate elevator on a delta before... Should work though:thumbsup:
RCRacing88
31-05-2011, 01:06 PM
I really do hope so :D they always seem to fly so nice :D
yeah, the elevator was only put on because my futaba radio doesn't support elevon mixing, not ideal but hopefully it will be successful
fidspeed
31-05-2011, 06:31 PM
good luck it shoiuld fly no problems ive been flying for years and flown similiar planes (not without elevon mixing though :D)
i had one made from two house for sale signs (correx) a plastic type similiar to corrugated card it had a 40 size IC engine flew great had a barbie doll driving typical woman crashed it ;) probably putting lippy on :D
(tongue in cheek for any ladies reading this )
let us know how it goes
So? Did it fly? Enquiring(sp?) minds want to know! (http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxenquir.html)
RCRacing88
06-06-2011, 02:04 PM
So? Did it fly? Enquiring(sp?) minds want to know! (http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxenquir.html)
I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
So unless anyone fancies donating me a battery? :thumbsup: haha I will get a battery asap and see how it does :)
cjm_2008
06-06-2011, 02:36 PM
I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
So unless anyone fancies donating me a battery? :thumbsup: haha I will get a battery asap and see how it does :)
don't put anything expensive in it... I see this contraption crashing and burning pretty spectacularly :thumbsup:
RCRacing88
06-06-2011, 03:14 PM
he he let's see first ay' ;)
The battery is the most expensive component at £10-15 :)
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.