View Full Version : 4 geared gearbox for CR2
Wacker 2
08-06-2011, 10:49 AM
I've been in touch with a guy who can make some 4 geared gearbox's for the CR2. He's sounding a wee bit cold about the idea of making some as it takes so long to set the machine up. So I'm trying to drum up some interest to see if there are any other CR2 drivers that would be interested at having one made?? I already know of about 6 but the more the better - if there's lots then he'll have no choice but to give into demand!
Good times, Jon! (aka Mr Hinckley, ha ha)
rcjunky
08-06-2011, 11:46 AM
I know PSI makes them but things aren't looking like the new owner will sell them any time soon :( I'm sure there will be interest for sure on here though.
Wacker 2
08-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Yeah, I have pretty much given up with PSI Racing... I tried contacting them but got fed up of wasting my time!
Fingers crossed this new guy will service demand and provide all of us CR2 drivers with a much needed part. :thumbsup:
Jon
Dr_UpGrade
08-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Jon,
Where do I put my name down for getting on the list for the 4gearbox trannys....
Mark
branstonpickle
08-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Id have a couple let me on how much and what to pay
ravens
09-06-2011, 02:15 PM
If posting overseas(Portugal) is available I will be interested in a couple of them.
found an engineer who will make them but wants one to copy. He is based in kings bromley in lichfield. He helped me make some bits for my mid motor xxx today and they are spot on.
DerbyDan
14-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Hi Jon - i'm Dan that was racing at Hinckley a couple of weeks ago with the PSI equipped CR2 (hoping to make it this Sat to is the weather is decent)
I still have the original 4 gear casing that came with my car... was one of the original ones made by a guy here in the UK (I think he's on this forum too) As it was one of the first made it is a bit rough finish-wise, you are more than welcome to borrow it & send it off to a machine shop for copying.... the only problem with it that the previous owner of my car, filed down the casing where the two front screws through the chassis fit.... meaning these screws cannot be fitted causing the gearbox to twist. You could explain this part the your machinist I guess?
I'll bring it with me on Sat if you are going & you can have a look at it ;)
hinkley not on saturday but is back on the saturday after. They do 3 on and 1 off to give the track a break. Have you still got my number as i have something that may interest you derby dan
DerbyDan
14-06-2011, 04:55 PM
hinkley not on saturday but is back on the saturday after. They do 3 on and 1 off to give the track a break. Have you still got my number as i have something that may interest you derby dan
Hi Adey... thanks for the heads up on the meeting not being on, on Saturday, bit gutted really as getting a free weekend day is quite rare these days & I would have been able to come along this Sat :(
Yes I got your message - sorry I didn't reply :blush: If its regarding the Meteor Article, CAT3K sent me his copy of the magazine so I was able to scan it :thumbsup:
i would of gave you my copy. Have you seen my mid losi. Its in the losi forums under mid motor xxx. Have a look.
DerbyDan
15-06-2011, 04:16 PM
i would of gave you my copy. Have you seen my mid losi. Its in the losi forums under mid motor xxx. Have a look.
Ah... nevermind, thank you for the thought.
Just checked out your thread on your mid motored XXX - looks real neat, (as your conversions always are :)) I'm not suprised that it feels quick - being that the layout is basically the same as my CR2... which i'm really enjoying driving on my return to off road buggy racing, after a ten year gap from the class (just been racing TC's)
i think a b4 would convert in the same way aswell. I can imagine you do like your cr2. I just hope that the spares for the losi xxx cr dont get any harder to get.
Wacker 2
15-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Heard back from the guy today and he's predicting costs of £40 per gearbox - You may think that this is costly but the amount of machining involved is unbelievable.
The finished item looks amazing and its a must have if you're serious about your CR2 - plus the PSI racing 4 geared gearbox's that were made in the past are incredibly rare and incredibly difficult to come by.
Also bear in mind that the Cougar alloy gearbox's will set you back £60 so I'm sure you'll appreciate that £40 is a bargain!
The person in question has seen this forum and all of its posts so keep your feedback coming so that he can gage demand and make enough of them... it would be a great shame if you missed out.
Thanks, Jon! :thumbsup:
Dr_UpGrade
15-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but will these be alloy gearboxes too then? - I was under the impression that you were talking about the delrin type ones that PSI made... But at that price, alloy sounds good. I'm still interested. Let me know if you need a pm or what ever...
Mark
hi jon. If you mean 40 quid for the gearbox you showed me sunday in the pic then thats fine for me. It did look very good so i am certian they will sell. Do you think he will make them or does he need even more interest than there is now.
Dr_UpGrade
15-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Any pics you can post on here?
Wacker 2
15-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but will these be alloy gearboxes too then? - I was under the impression that you were talking about the delrin type ones that PSI made... But at that price, alloy sounds good. I'm still interested. Let me know if you need a pm or what ever...
Mark
No they are not alloy
Dr_UpGrade
15-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Ok, sorry my misunderstanding then... Would still very much like to see pics of it and know what its made from? - Am asking because I had one of the PSI boxes and it wasn't that well made (of cheese) and lunched itself by not having the output shaft hole straight...
Cheers,
Mark
Wacker 2
15-06-2011, 09:39 PM
I have some pics of the gearbox that I believe was made previously, but I want confirmation from him that this is definitely what the finished product will look like... As soon as he comes back to me I'll post the pics.
I'm hoping it is as it looks great - very very well made. :woot:
Jon.
Wacker 2
15-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Just heard back and all is good... these are the pics of the 4 geared gearboxes that we've been trying to organize:
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/jon5007/AtomicCR2Gearbox1.jpg
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/jon5007/AtomicCR2Gearbox2.jpg
I'm sure you'll agree it looks amazing... far better than the PSI versions.
Express your luv... we need him to make some! :woot:
Thanks, Jon.
it would probably be good to get some numbers of how many people want them to maybe persuade him further.
the quality looks superb. I would be gutted if he didnt make them.
Wacker 2
15-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Well lets get the numbers totting up:
I'm definately up for 1 and I know of another 3 for other drivers at my local club... so thats 4.
Please confirm if you want one... and if so how many :thumbsup:
Cheers guys... lets make it so that he cant say no!!!
Jon.
have you asked him how many it would take him to start making them ?.
Wacker 2
16-06-2011, 12:20 AM
He made it clear that he did not want to make just 1 or 2 as the machine work is so vast. However, we've been chatting and I think he's coming round to the idea of making some if there are enough that want one!
He's been following this post so the more that show interest the more likely it is for him to meet demand.
So if u want one... Confirm on this post and state how many u would want!
Thanks, Jon!
rcjunky
16-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Those look real nice, my only concern would be the price compared to the PSI ones (which the price will go up when they start selling them again do to more precise methodes of machining) but I wouldn't be surprised if you get the whole UK market with these.
xfactor
16-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Hi Jonny JON JON, :thumbsup: I will have one matey please its Lapper :p
xfactor
16-06-2011, 12:39 PM
oH didnt mention i hope they will be clean as i wouldnt want to dirty my CR2 :woot:
Wacker 2
16-06-2011, 01:18 PM
You'll be alright fella... just hit it with the Pledge! :woot:
DerbyDan
16-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Wow Jon that casing looks great! As you say, better than the PSI version..... I must admit i'm very tempted to swap out the PSI one for one of these :thumbsup:
I actually think £40 sounds reasonable especially for something that is virtually a one-off... yes the PSI one was a bit cheaper, but by the time it was posted it would have been nearing the £40 mark.
With regard to the design of this new casing it would be nice to have a locating 'lip' where the casings mate together to align all the gears accurately & keep out dirt (like the original XXX box)... but I understand this adds more complexity & cost to these parts.
On a side-note - my PSI gearbox has done about 5-6 meetings now & it seems to be holding up ok so far. The layshaft hole is not quite central to the hole in the motor mount but I think this is done to squeeze in the extra gear. My main concern though is the fact that due to shaving down the mounting face for the motor plate it has left the plastic very thin where the layshaft bearing fits.
rcjunky
16-06-2011, 05:06 PM
I have a psi box and it doesn't have any of the reported issues, but from a lot of testing, all I can say is make sure the mesh between gears is spot on, I shredded both idlers in mine about a month ago, I'm not sure if the mesh is off as it has had a lot of use, about 50 race nights without even looking at it ( yes, over 1500 minutes of racing plus about another 15 or so races on carpet) so I'm not sure if it is an issue or just not using preventative maintenance. The PSI box doesn't have a locating lip on it and it seems fine, both sides are machined flat so it would be very difficult to have dirt get in, when I ran dirt (more then carpet) it wasn't an issue. Visually your case does look better, it looks very professional, but at the end of the day its all how it works. Does it have the lip around the layshaft like the stock one so it locates the motor plate like the stock one? The PSI one doesn't and that would really make it wicked.
The Hoff
16-06-2011, 05:09 PM
I cannot see any hole locations at the front of the gearbox ? as i use the across lipo battery strap which has the turnbuckle link onto the top of the gearbox.
Will these gearbox's have these holes otherwise its a bit of a showstopper.
phil c
16-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Looks realy nice put me down for one :thumbsup:
Dr_UpGrade
16-06-2011, 06:27 PM
very nice looking bit of kit, but I'm in the same camp as the Hoff... I need the holes on the 'front' of the gearbox to screw the turnbuckle in for the across battery strap...
Any idea if this can be built in or not?
Cheers,
Mark
Hi when I originally made this gearbox no one was using the holes or the link so I removed the holes! I can re add some kind of mounting point for a link and also I was thinking of adding a lump to the back to support the rear shock tower a little better too! I’m a couple of weeks away from starting them yet as I’m working on another project at the moment but they will get done don’t worry guys
Regards
Nick
i think its fair to say that they will be popular and they will sell. For me they cant come quick enough. I want at least one set but probably two.
rcjunky
16-06-2011, 11:42 PM
putting the flat spot on the top with the 2 holes would be nice, I missed that, but they are needed on the PSI car for anyone who has one.
Dr_UpGrade
18-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Nick,
that would be great if you could design in the 2 'front' holes too... If you can then I'm in for a box for definate as well.
Cheers,
Mark
Dr_UpGrade
27-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Any more news on the new next version of the gearbox, with the front holes?
Cheers,
Mark
im just finishing off some other jobs then i will be on with them guys! :thumbsup:
Tom3012
27-06-2011, 10:42 PM
I consider myself very lucky as i have one of nicks gearboxes, the quality is superb, and it does have an 'over hang' on one side like the original xxx gearbox to help keep the crap out...
Well worth £40 considering the work involved, you wont be disappointed!
yeah. The pic of his gearbox shows a real quality product. Cant wait.
Dr_UpGrade
28-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Cheers Nick!
Looking forward to this...
Wacker 2
29-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Awesome news guys... just heard back from Nick and we're hoping for some firm idea of availability in approx a week or two.
I'm sure Nick will himself post on here to update people of his progress as and when he can.
I'm certain I speak for everybody when I say that we're really looking forward to them being available to order. :drool:
Coolio, Jon! :thumbsup:
Dr_UpGrade
12-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Not trying to hassle (too much, I hope!), but any more updates on these?
Cheers,
Mark
Dr_UpGrade
25-07-2011, 06:38 PM
bump-ety-bump... Any more news on these yet? (sorry if this is hassling... Just still very keen on getting one of these!)
Cheers,
Mark
Hi sorry for delay im hoping to be machining in the next week! i have change the design to fit the link and made it support the back shock tower also. As soon as im started i will post on here. :thumbsup:
Dr_UpGrade
26-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Excellent news there Nick! Thanks for getting back to us...
Looking forward to seeing pics of the new version...
Cheers,
Mark
fredswain
26-07-2011, 01:54 PM
I have a question and please forgive me if this sounds like a dumb one. What is the advantage of using the 4 gear box as opposed to the external idler gear? It would seem that you could more easily change gear ratios with different spur gear and pinion gear options but aside from that what is the benefit? Since having the motor rotate in the same direction as the wheels aids in forward traction, it would seem logical to me that having as many things as possible rotating in the same direction as the wheels would also be a benefit.
With the external idler the spur gear, shaft, and slipper clutch are all rotating the same direction as the wheels. That seems like a decent amount of mass and it's location higher up would only seem to further the effect it's rotational direction has. With a 4 gear setup this assembly would be rotating counter to the wheels. I run on very loose tracks by most of your standards so every little trick to help forward traction is a must. I can also achieve the gearing that I need with an idler.
Has anyone driven each type of setup that can provide some direct feedback on the performance differences? By no means am I opposed to a 4 gear setup. It would be a much cleaner installation and a case that helps strengthen the rear end is only a good thing. I only ask out of curiosity.
To be fair I never ran the idle mod I made the 4 gearbox as soon as I got the CR2 as mine was the 3 gear version with no idle mod! I do agree with what you are saying with the mass off the lay shaft and slipper rotating in the same direction the initial Inertia would help the car to grip up under power. The gearbox was made so the full gear cover could be used to keep the sand out on an astro track and to help with still getting the right gear ratio on more motors.
rcjunky
26-07-2011, 02:38 PM
I've ran both the PSI 4 gear gearbox and the original cam gear/extra idler system and the 4gear is better. With the extra idler, the motor sits farther forward (like the 22) With the 4 gear it was simply more planted on dirt. I haven't tried the extra idler on carpet but I might in a few weeks when I switch everything back for carpet (running 2 dirt race tomorrow and on the weekend) so I cannot say which is better on carpet. The 4 gear is a much cleaner look (but not as pimp as the one on page 2:drool:) and much easyer to set the gear mesh. Contrary to popular belief, my mid motor xxx-cr is alot better then rear motor in low grip. If you run really low grip, the extra idler might work if you put the xfactory fly wheel on for even more forward weight transfer but you might loose all forward traction.
Dr_UpGrade
16-08-2011, 08:09 PM
I've been away for a few weeks... Any progress pics?
any more news on these 4 gear gearboxes.
Almost there! Couple of days max and I will post pics up! Just one machining job left to do on them.
Hi all finally got the Cr2 4 gear gearboxes machined Sorry about the long delay!! I have added a mounting point for the turnbuckle to battery brace and also added a block at the rear to support the rear shock tower more. If anyone is interested they are £40 including postage.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6179/6149943372_25effa180c.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6083/6149392567_2ff81e3cd1.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6183/6149942484_97f9414779.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6175/6149391435_3e79c56224.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6166/6149390831_80177bd869.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6206/6149939438_2f98d557cb.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6157/6149939192_3eeea6df28.jpg
ravens
15-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Awesome work Nick.
Will you post them overseas when available?
Hi yes will post over seas! There are avalible now!
paulc
15-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Look very nice shame i've got rid of the Cr2 now top job though :thumbsup:
Dr_UpGrade
15-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Wow! Look superb!! PM sent for a couple! Thanks!
hi nick, it looks superb, no other way to put it. Certainly worth the wait. Pm sent. I want !.
nrtv20
23-09-2011, 02:46 PM
That is a beautiful piece!!
Can I ask why the motor is not flipped to the other side now with the 4 gear?
If it was you would have to use a 3 gear gearbox! with the motor this way round it helps with control in the air and more rear grip under power.
Rebelrc
29-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Nice job!
Top work!:thumbsup:
Dr_UpGrade
30-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Just picked mine up from the PO today, and wow, superb craftsmanship! Thanks! Hopefully build one up for thursdays SHRCCC indoor season 'opening' night!
nrtv20
30-09-2011, 06:13 PM
If it was you would have to use a 3 gear gearbox! with the motor this way round it helps with control in the air and more rear grip under power.
I'm not trying to be a pain, just understand... You now have to reverse the motor direction for this to work correctly right?
Thanks!
Dr_UpGrade
30-09-2011, 06:46 PM
nrtv20, no worries no pain... If you only used the 3 gear tranny then you would have to reverse the motor power (as the motor/gearbox is flipped 180 degrees). Thus with the 4 gear tranny (and the flipped motor) you don't need to reverse the motor power... Hope that makes sense!
Just to say all orders have been posted out today! many thanks for the orders
:thumbsup:
Robbiejuk
04-10-2011, 05:13 PM
nrtv20, no worries no pain... If you only used the 3 gear tranny then you would have to reverse the motor power (as the motor/gearbox is flipped 180 degrees). Thus with the 4 gear tranny (and the flipped motor) you don't need to reverse the motor power... Hope that makes sense!
Maybe this little diagram will back up your explanation?
http://www.me-or.com/media/ansmann/Transmissions.jpg
Made sense to me when I was drawing it anyways. This shows the motor and gearbox flipped inboard and why the fourth gear is needed to stop having to reverse the motor. Well I think it does anyways. :thumbsup:
Dr_UpGrade
04-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Yep, that works! Cheers...
:thumbsup:
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.