PDA

View Full Version : Gear diff in 22


wrightcs77
26-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Just wanted to let people know that the AE B4.1/T4.1/SC10 rtr gear diff fits in the 22. The outdrives are good, the bearings are the same size and the diff gear is 52T (the stock 22 diff gear is 51T I believe). Due to some tolerance differences, you may have to shim the gear diff for side to side play. I did not have to in my rear motor case, but did in my mid motor case:confused:.

People have been having pretty good success with 3k diff fluid for carpet tracks. I am going to try mine on an outdoor, clay, hard packed, medium traction 8th scale track. I am going to try 10k diff fluid.

Here is a part from Amain in the USA.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_1450_1139/products_id/37000/n/Team-Associated-Complete-Gear-Differential

I ordered one from ebay for $20 US shipped in the US.

Fred79
26-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Nice, i'll order one and give it a try :thumbsup:

Legacy555
27-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Just wanted to let people know that the AE B4.1/T4.1/SC10 rtr gear diff fits in the 22. The outdrives are good, the bearings are the same size and the diff gear is 52T (the stock 22 diff gear is 51T I believe). Due to some tolerance differences, you may have to shim the gear diff for side to side play. I did not have to in my rear motor case, but did in my mid motor case:confused:.

People have been having pretty good success with 3k diff fluid for carpet tracks. I am going to try mine on an outdoor, clay, hard packed, medium traction 8th scale track. I am going to try 10k diff fluid.

Here is a part from Amain in the USA.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_1450_1139/products_id/37000/n/Team-Associated-Complete-Gear-Differential

I ordered one from ebay for $20 US shipped in the US.

Is the diameter difference between 51T and 52T close enough for it not to matter? ie. is the meshing still ok?

wrightcs77
27-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Is the diameter difference between 51T and 52T close enough for it not to matter? ie. is the meshing still ok?

mesh is still ok.

till
27-06-2011, 04:06 PM
they are running it in my club and they say it works nice!
They are using it for at least a month now and they donīt have problems, so iīll buy one too =)

uro
27-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Hi.

I just tried the geardiff today, so smooth, i used 1500wt oil on a turftrack..
Not going back.....

Fred79
27-06-2011, 06:00 PM
What size shim are you using when in mid motor config?

sparky-0
27-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Hi I read this post a few hours ago and have been trying to fit my AE geared diff in to the Losi 22 mid motor gear box and it is very tight. Are you fitting the standard idlers or the RW racing machined acetal idlers?
When I first built the gear box there was a tight spot on it perhaps the tolerances in mine are the wrong way any help please as I would love to see the geared diff in there

wrightcs77
28-06-2011, 01:44 AM
Hi I read this post a few hours ago and have been trying to fit my AE geared diff in to the Losi 22 mid motor gear box and it is very tight. Are you fitting the standard idlers or the RW racing machined acetal idlers?
When I first built the gear box there was a tight spot on it perhaps the tolerances in mine are the wrong way any help please as I would love to see the geared diff in there

Initially it is tight. My gear diff had a "high spot" that wears in freely after a pack. The shims are 10x12x.1 mm or 10x15x.1 mm to take away side to side play if needed.

Marc0
28-06-2011, 09:27 AM
I am running this gear diff for a month now, I am more than happy with it :) 3K silicon oil in. When the track is wet, a 1.5-2K should be more efficient.

Fred79
28-06-2011, 11:03 AM
I have been told that the HPI blitz gear diff that also has 52 teeth will fit the 22
By the way the blitz has a metal geared case more weight added to the car naturally :thumbsup:

Bob_Zahn
28-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Some of the 22 drivers at one of our local indoor carpet tracks are also running the SC10 gear diff. Some have dropped them in straight with only some spacers to take away side to side play. Others have dremeled the mid motor case to move the outdrive bearings back ever so slightly to acheive better gear mesh and avoid a high spot.

I have the gear diff on order and hope to have mine ready for the next race. After watching the cars on the track last week and comparing it to my car with the ball diff I can say they were able to carry so much more speed through the corners. This was especially true on one corner that had some masonite boards taped to the carpet. The racers call the wood 'ice' as the cars can be very loose on this surface with newer mini pins. Worn down mini pins are the only option when any of this 'ice' is on the track. But the car looses alot of steering mid corner with regular ball diff. With the gear diff they were gaining 2 to 4 tenths of a second per lap.

I still managed to finish 3rd with ball diff in my car but 1st, 2nd and 4th were all running gear diff.

learnerdriver
28-06-2011, 10:30 PM
I have been told that the HPI blitz gear diff that also has 52 teeth will fit the 22
By the way the blitz has a metal geared case more weight added to the car naturally :thumbsup:

blitz gear diff is slightly wider than the associated gear diff

Projectzip
29-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Interesting! Strokes now non existent beard :thumbsup:

Legacy555
29-06-2011, 02:53 PM
I have been told that the HPI blitz gear diff that also has 52 teeth will fit the 22
By the way the blitz has a metal geared case more weight added to the car naturally :thumbsup:

heavy high inertia diff could be a good solution for those looking to try a flywheel. Not sure on the purpose/effect myself...? :confused:

Moose
29-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Does anyone know if the RB5 diffs fit or are they too wide? Kyosho has gear diffs too.

Mitch269
29-06-2011, 07:26 PM
I believe the kyosho diff will work but the AE diff is a much better fit and I'm told by the kyosho drivers at my track that the AE diff is a much better diff... I've done this mode with the AE diff on my 22 and I will never go back,way more consistent

Fred79
29-06-2011, 10:59 PM
could someone please take a pic and share with this mod on?:confused:
Please;)

stegger
30-06-2011, 06:44 AM
could someone please take a pic and share with this mod on?:confused:
Please;)

+1 :thumbsup:

Darren Boyle
30-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Or you could just fit the new gear diff from the 22 RTR when it arrives in August of course.........

LOSA2954 - on our website to pre-order now......

stegger
30-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Or you could just fit the new gear diff from the 22 RTR when it arrives in August of course.........

LOSA2954 - on our website to pre-order now......


:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

learnerdriver
30-06-2011, 06:01 PM
hpi diff is too wide :thumbdown: measures 18.22 between bearings whereas losi one is 17.44 between bearings

Fred79
30-06-2011, 07:27 PM
That SUCKS! Just ordered one :(

D20MCK
30-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Never had any bother with my diff, but this looks good.

http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Gallery/LOSB0122_a13.jpghttp://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/LOS/250/LOSA2954-250.jpg

Fred79
30-06-2011, 09:06 PM
http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Gallery/LOSB0122_a13.jpghttp://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/LOS/250/LOSA2954-250.jpg[/QUOTE]

is that the blitz diff?

D20MCK
30-06-2011, 09:43 PM
no it's a TLR diff, the pics are from the losi site.

http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Gallery/LOSB0122_a13.jpg

http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/LOS/250/LOSA2954-250.jpg

http://www.losi.com/Products/Gallery.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0122&Index=13

http://www.losi.com/Products/ProductGallery.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0122

slowjun
01-07-2011, 07:23 AM
Bummer, just ordered the AE RTR Diff gear, wished i held off before i bought the Diff, oh well, will just buy one as parts reserve. hehehehe...

btw, any price yet for Losi Gear Diff?

edit: cost $28.49 a pop, a bit expensive than AE but looks beefier.

Fred79
01-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Confirming that the sc10 gear diff does not fit, to bad... seemed to look promising :(

hansie
01-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Hello all,

The SC10 diff does not fit? I'm confused........

Greetings

Hans

Fred79
01-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Nope.... just tryed it in and i'm about 1.4mm off to closing the gearboks.

hansie
01-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Hello all,

I have read on several sites that people are running Associated SC10gear diffs in their 22's.
Do you guys suppose that Losi has such big tolerances fortheir gear boxes?
Or does the HPI diff gear not fit and is that car also called SC 10......
Or are the SC10 gear diff and the sc10RTR gear diff different?

Greetings

Hans

bss
01-07-2011, 10:28 AM
I am running SC10 diff in my 22, and it works very well, have no problems :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fred79
01-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Hpi or a/s?

AfroP
01-07-2011, 11:15 AM
The new RTR 22 has a gear diff in it
so I'd imagine it will be a part that can be purchased once that kit is fully released

Darren Boyle
01-07-2011, 11:23 AM
The new RTR 22 has a gear diff in it
so I'd imagine it will be a part that can be purchased once that kit is fully released

Check out my post above (#20 on this thread)

Part number is LOSA2954 - UK price is Ģ22.99 - available on our website to pre-order now..... www.dms-racing.com (http://www.dms-racing.com)

SHY
01-07-2011, 11:32 AM
I really feel the time has come now for ALL manufacturers to supply the option of gear of ball diffs - for all their models! :thumbsup:

Some like Windows, some like Apple...

Come on!!! :D

West Ridge Racing
01-07-2011, 01:48 PM
WORD! Shy is wise:thumbsup:.

tomtom
01-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Yes, gear diffs are the way to go if you want to run a lot and cut down time spent to clean/setup the car, especially on high/very high grip where you have to rebuild the diff after everything sessions.

Lots of guys at our track run SC gear diff in their 22 without any issues and so far the handling is second to none.

Losi gear diff looks really beefy.

learnerdriver
01-07-2011, 08:10 PM
associated gear diff is 15.68 between bearings so should fit but will need shimming side to side

The Hobbymaster
01-07-2011, 08:35 PM
I've ordered a AE Gear diff kit and wanted to know what sized shim's do I need?? (Mid-Motor set up)
I have seen people saying 12 x 10 x .1mm also 15 x 10 x .1mm
what do I need to order:confused:
Also a feeling for what diff oil to use on Astro tuff:confused:
Thanks for any help with this one :thumbsup:

Cheers Ian

learnerdriver
01-07-2011, 10:29 PM
I've ordered a AE Gear diff kit and wanted to know what sized shim's do I need?? (Mid-Motor set up)
I have seen people saying 12 x 10 x .1mm also 15 x 10 x .1mm
what do I need to order:confused:
Also a feeling for what diff oil to use on Astro tuff:confused:
Thanks for any help with this one :thumbsup:

Cheers Ian

outdrives are 10 mm dia and hpi do 12 x 10 x 0.2mm shims for the blitz ;)

would suggest 2-3k diff oil on astro to start, hth

slowjun
14-07-2011, 05:36 AM
Just installed mine and saw that there was a bit of side play and the High spot is there.
Im currently using a Rear config, do i need to shim the Diff? there is a bit of a side play.

thanks,

Bob_Zahn
14-07-2011, 03:52 PM
I installed my gear diff last night and this is what I did.

Added 4 shims on each side of the diff to eliminate side play. Shims are 10x12 x0.2mm. It may need one more shim on each side but I will let it break in first.

As for the gear mesh in the mid motor gear box mine was very tight. Other racers in my area suggested relocating the idler gear. So I took my Xacto blade and elongated the hole in the case where the idler shaft sits. I took away just enough material to move the shaft and gear away from the gear diff but I tried not to move it away from the other idler gear.

I still have a slight high spot but I will run it for a couple minutes around the house to help break it in.

I also noticed that moving the idler gear caused the gear to rub on the case. So I took my dremel to the inside of the case to create a bit more room. Not much is needed as the gear didn't move much.

learnerdriver
14-07-2011, 04:29 PM
ran mine sun and wed at stotfold on high grip astro but now it seems to have done the idler gear :-( will take it apart later, shame as car was really nice to drive :D