PDA

View Full Version : Have you stuck with the TLR22


mikeyscott
21-07-2011, 10:27 AM
How many people have stuck with their TLR22's in origional chassis form?

Keep hearing people are readily swapping back to X6's and SV's etc.

nicVEGAchildJR
21-07-2011, 11:01 AM
I have just switched to the TLR 22.
Last week I used it at taplow and it was amazing.
I was only 2 seconds behind Alec in the speartooth

mikeyscott
21-07-2011, 11:03 AM
I have just switched to the TLR 22.
Last week I used it at taplow and it was amazing.
I was only 2 seconds behind Alec in the speartooth

Hi,

That's from the Vega B4.1?

M

Wraggy
21-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Hi,

That's from the Vega B4.1?

M which you were quoting only a few months ago as being the best car u have ever driven and dialled ?:confused:

mikeyscott
21-07-2011, 11:07 AM
which you were quoting only a few months ago as being the best car u have ever driven and dialled ?:confused:

I've never had a B4.1 Vega..

Wraggy
21-07-2011, 11:12 AM
I've never had a B4.1 Vega..
i ment Nic Mike dont worry, was just hoping onto your post ;)

mikeyscott
21-07-2011, 11:13 AM
i ment Nic Mike dont worry, was just hoping onto your post ;)

No worries dude

nicVEGAchildJR
21-07-2011, 11:19 AM
which you were quoting only a few months ago as being the best car u have ever driven and dialled ?:confused:

What's your point¿¿
And the 22 is a better car

Wraggy
21-07-2011, 11:22 AM
What's your point¿¿
And the 22 is a better car
my point is 3 months ago the vega was awesome and now the TLR is ? cant of been that good if you have changed mid season thats all .!

anyway back on topic !

slow bob
21-07-2011, 11:34 AM
I love my losi 22 by far the best car i have owned and i have owned a few
tamiya 201 / asso b4 / cougar sv / asso b3 / xxxcr /

i run mine with the stock chassis i was 4th in the a final at moto arena this tuesday and i am normaly in the a final at taplow ..

i dont think i will be changing cars again for a long time as the losi 22 is so robust and dosent cost a fortune to repair not that it needs repair often lol.

i think people give up to early before they get the setup sorted ...:confused:

Dombrasky
21-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Ive stuck with it,the diffferent design is what got me back into 2wd offroad again after 4 years out

nicVEGAchildJR
21-07-2011, 11:46 AM
my point is 3 months ago the vega was awesome and now the TLR is ? cant of been that good if you have changed mid season thats all .!

anyway back on topic !

The vega was a good car but the 22 is that much better

jkclifford
21-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Great car.

Takes alot of getting used to.

Wish it was a 2 second job to flip from mid to rear!!!

Darren Boyle
21-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Hi,

That's from the Vega B4.1?

M

Which to be very fair, was very "amazing" too when it was the car being driven at the time according to Nicholas.......

We have had a 50/50 split in this area with people sticking with or switching back to previous cars or converting it to "somthing else" (AC/Akula etc) on the 22.

To be fair though "any" car takes time to develop and get dialled to the tracks, racers just need to give the 22 some time, some are not preparred to do this and wait and have reverted back to cars they already knew and enjoyed. On the other hand, when any new car comes out people always think it "will" be faster and the grass is always greener elsewhere, many soon realise that the months of setup they have put into their previuos car cannot easily be improved upon straight away by jumping to an all new platform....

ben broughton
21-07-2011, 02:35 PM
What's your point¿¿
And the 22 is a better car

Wraggy's point is probably something like you being a yo-yo:

Shells look good, shame the cars still CRAP

Chalkie
21-07-2011, 07:49 PM
I think it's going to be a great car, it needs a bit more work to get the rear of the car planted, but even now if it suits the track it flys.

MHeadling
21-07-2011, 07:50 PM
He better change his name to nic22, or nic_ _ so he can fill in the gaps for the next best car..............:woot:

mattybucks
21-07-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm trying a speartooth at taplow tomorrow night, so I see how that goes. I thought that as I'm stocking I should try it really.

Frecklychimp
21-07-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm sticking with mine... love it, although agree with the handling issues being brought up.

I'm only a club/regional racer and its the first year back with 10th offroad in 10 years so any of the cars would be alien to me, i like mine, have tried other drivers 22's with diferent configs and they are all good cars... a couple seemed to have massive understeer and a others were much looser than mine on the back end.

A big believer in the sheep effect causing most of the issues... can remember the same thing in the good old days when the XXX came out over the well developed XX, it took a lot of getting used to and there was a lot of brand hopping until it settled down with neutral set ups.

its good to know that parts are being developed by small companies/boffins and the conversion kits are now there to improve it further if it becomes more of an issue than driver error at present.

:thumbsup:

Tom3012
21-07-2011, 09:11 PM
I gave up on mine after spending more time than i could afford to with regards to points in competitions... It is a good car and i dont doubt that, so much so i reckon next year it will be very successful at all levels.

However what swung me to the ansmann i run now though was a club meeting. I spent the entire day, and weeks before hand, fine tuning my 22 getting it so i could drive it, did 3 rounds of qualifying with it then tried my X2C and was 3 seconds a lap quicker with less mistakes...

I always found my 22 to be quick over a lap but getting quick laps consistently out of it was practically impossible, not the case with my ansmann so i decided to stick with it...

Just my thoughts :blush:

Southwell
21-07-2011, 09:44 PM
I don't think there is a 'best' car anymore, just some cars suit peoples driving styles more than others. Since i moved from the CR2 to X6 it is indeed a bit more edgy, but if i stay clean i believe it is faster for me. 3 seconds is a bit extreme though, did you only have three wheels on the car? :lol:

andys
21-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Sticking with it for now. The mid motor design is though seriously flawed, the recent thread showing the Centro layout versus the 22 highlights the weight / gearbox issues clearly.

Yes, on a high grip track, in dry conditions, with new tyres it's great, anything else and it's frustrating. I'm tempted to try the spear tooth, but it's an expensive option.

I've already bought too much for the 22, a set of HRC blocks, as they were once the supposed answer to the grip problems... Not ! A Cream Rc weight, shock springs: the right ones for uk tracks, brass under lipo weight, lots of new hex wheels. So what appeared to be a good value car is actually pretty expensive to get running anywhere near well in the UK.

AfroP
22-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Sticking with it for now. The mid motor design is though seriously flawed, the recent thread showing the Centro layout versus the 22 highlights the weight / gearbox issues clearly.

Yes, on a high grip track, in dry conditions, with new tyres it's great, anything else and it's frustrating. I'm tempted to try the spear tooth, but it's an expensive option.

I've already bought too much for the 22, a set of HRC blocks, as they were once the supposed answer to the grip problems... Not ! A Cream Rc weight, shock springs: the right ones for uk tracks, brass under lipo weight, lots of new hex wheels. So what appeared to be a good value car is actually pretty expensive to get running anywhere near well in the UK.


I've just returned to RC racing after many many years and i'm only doing regionals and club racing. always had a soft spot for losi's but more and more i find myself wanting to move away and try a different car.
One that doesn't seem as fiddley and is a bit more forgiving on a newbie like me.
But i cant settle on what i'd like to go for and its a lot of money to buy a new car and get it to where my losi is in terms of spares etc.

tireman721
22-07-2011, 05:04 AM
I put my 22 mid motor when i built it and have kept it stock from there. The 22 is the best handling buggy i have owned. Before i bought my 22 i had been racing an all graphite xxx and was fast but i am faster with a 22. The 22 is a new buggy and people need to spend time working with the setup, but it all comes down to if the buggy fits your driving style. Before i got a 22 i was looking at a kyosho or a schumacher but decided to give the 22 a chance and haven't regretted it yet.

Tom3012
22-07-2011, 06:41 AM
Average lap with the 22 was something like 28 seconds, 25 seconds with the X2C... So maybe not every lap but on average yes, not knocking the 22 just not for me.

Danosborne6661
24-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Loving the 22, awesome car. Even out of the box then minor adjustments to get it to where mine is now. Don't need a shorter chassis IMO

ashleyb4
24-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Very Happy with mine i found it was just diffrent to drive from other cars im slowly starting to get used to mine but plenty of things i want to try.

A

Projectzip
26-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Last time I race off road competitively was with a Losi LXT.
More recently I raced Short course as it suited my full throttle door bashing nature.

I had the itch for the 22 for a while so I have come into it having only tried other buggys whilst bashing not competing.
So I had no preconceived notions of how it should or would handle.

I tried it out of the kit build and enjoyed it, after putting Paul Uptons settings on it for Moto Arena I loved it even more.

I really like the way it drives but then I guess not having anything compare it too is a good thing I dont feel the need for any type of conversion im happy racing it how I have it, although I will admit ive put weight in it as well to help the handling.

migsy
26-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Hi lads

anyone got a setup that can make the car aggressive? i cant get near the times i had with my xxxcr, im confused!!!:confused: