View Full Version : Vega owners feedback so far?
styleone
09-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Hi all,
I know I'm preaching to the converted here but just wanted to open up a discussion regarding the amazing quality and overall brilliant product that Team Xtreme have created.
I recently got a Vega 201 and its safe to say I was gobsmacked by how high Xtreme have risen the bar with production quality. The gearbox is silky smooth, the chassis is a true work of art, and the compatability with each kit to be converted is amazing. It seems you truly can not beat British engineering.
I'm really pleased with this purchase and would like to hear your favourite aspects of the amazing Vega range?
Post up your experiences so far guys, both good and bad. It will be nice to get an overall gauge of racers opinions so far
cheers :thumbsup:
tomtom
09-08-2011, 02:33 PM
One word : awesome.
My quest for 2wd is over for sure. On the track I can take turns like no other, very stable, very easy to drive but still very fast.
Support is great too, it's a conversion so need a bit of work compare to a kit.
Big up for Kevin Lee and Matt Owen :thumbsup:
MHeadling
09-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Im very happy with my Vega B4.1, fast and easy to drive :thumbsup:
As for the build quality, one word Awesome! :drool:
If you dont have one, buy one!
Jamie.T
09-08-2011, 07:28 PM
I love my Vega 201, ran it for the first time outdoors at the oOple invernational and it was SUPERB.
Build quality is amazing, and the engineering work in the gearbox is a work of art, a credit to those at Team xtreme.
Looking forward to running it at our regional's now.
Adam F
09-08-2011, 09:18 PM
I run a Vega RB5, I tried Matt Owens car once and was absolutely sold so ordered one straight away from Kev at Insideline...
Since i've had it, I only have one gripe, the rear shock tower has a weak spot around the camber link holes, they are just too close together... I'm getting some more made with the holes spaced out and with a bigger rad on the lower mounting cluster.
Otherwise the car is awesome, two more have been sold based on mine and I would recommend it to anyone.. :thumbsup:
chuckie stella
10-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Simply the best 2wd car I've ever driven!! :thumbsup:
Rebelrc
10-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Me too! :thumbsup:
What he said:wub
InsideLineModels
10-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Simply the best 2wd car I've ever driven!! :thumbsup:
And you've driven a fair few in your short career! :lol:
chuckie stella
10-08-2011, 08:19 PM
And you've driven a fair few in your short career! :lol:
:lol::lol::lol:
mikeyscott
10-08-2011, 08:22 PM
My 201 vega was very good, but I sold it along with my SV, sx3 etc.
Rb5 if I get another pending ££
nicVEGAchildJR
10-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Oooo
Rebelrc
11-08-2011, 06:24 AM
No they don't :lol:
Only if you drove a bus over it maybe.:p
styleone
11-08-2011, 03:05 PM
No they don't :lol:
Only if you drove a bus over it maybe.:p
:lol::lol: I saw a vega 201 hit the the top of a double and kart wheel over a track surround fence onto gravel.....it drove off super straight and the chassis was straight as an arrow :thumbsup:
Thanks for all the feedback so far guys. Keep it coming as its really interesting to hear how your all getting on out there. Cheers
SimonW
11-08-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm the fastest I've ever been with mine and i won my first regional with it (EoE). I was only 16 secs off the FTD set by Nathan Waters @ Eastrax 2wd Mid-East regional, that's bloody quick for me and the first time on astro this year. Roll on the 3,4,5's
styleone
17-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Just wondering if any 201 vega owners have noticed that their servo mount screw holes in the chassis are slightly on the piss? I swapped my servo last night and noticed they are not straight? Feedback is appreciated cheers :)
mattybucks
17-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Just wondering if any 201 vega owners have noticed that their servo mount screw holes in the chassis are slightly on the piss? I swapped my servo last night and noticed they are not straight? Feedback is appreciated cheers :)
Have you bent the Chassis? :o If you have your not the first to do it.:thumbdown:
chuckie stella
17-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Have you bent the Chassis? :o If you have your not the first to do it.:thumbdown:
I don't know what people are doing to bend, twist or break these fine chassis!! I doubt people have had harder, faster or crazy flat-out crashes at the end of seriously long straights more than I. My chassis is still as perfect as the day I got it!
I don't drive for Team X so not just jumping to defend them. I just don't want people thinking they're going to bend their chassis after buying one of these great conversions.
mattybucks
17-08-2011, 12:26 PM
I don't know what people are doing to bend, twist or break these fine chassis!! I doubt people have had harder, faster or crazy flat-out crashes at the end of seriously long straights more than I. My chassis is still as perfect as the day I got it!
I don't drive for Team X so not just jumping to defend them. I just don't want people thinking they're going to bend their chassis after buying one of these great conversions.
To clarify, I'm not saying all the Vega chassis are bending, or even that it's a common occurance. I only know of one chassis bending, and yes I agree Matt your going to have to doing something pretty special to bend one.
InsideLineModels
17-08-2011, 12:33 PM
I don't know what people are doing to bend, twist or break these fine chassis!! I doubt people have had harder, faster or crazy flat-out crashes at the end of seriously long straights more than I. My chassis is still as perfect as the day I got it!
I don't drive for Team X so not just jumping to defend them. I just don't want people thinking they're going to bend their chassis after buying one of these great conversions.
I have to agree with Matt on this one......... no-one tests a chassis like him! :)
Styleone, is it definatley the holes? have you measured them to a common reference on the chassis?
tomtom
17-08-2011, 01:12 PM
I really don't know how anyone could bend the chassis, I crashes sometimes for sure and got rather violents ones, would have broke any car for sure but nothing on the vega RB5.
Broke some rear shock towers at the camber link but nothing else really.
Glad you crash sometime Matt, i feel more confident ! :woot:
For real the car really improve my driving a lot.
Adam F
17-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Never bent mine, and I hit pretty much everything...
mattybucks
17-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Never bent mine, and I hit pretty much everything...
apart from the apex :lol::lol::lol:
styleone
20-08-2011, 12:11 AM
I have to agree with Matt on this one......... no-one tests a chassis like him! :)
Styleone, is it definatley the holes? have you measured them to a common reference on the chassis?
Kev, how you doing?...yes mate, I have measured the holes in relation to the kickup at the front (the edge that terminates at the end of the chassis just before the kickup) and they are about 1.5 mil out :confused:...I first noticed when I swapped servo earlier this week. The chassis is defo not bent as it lays up perfectly straight on the work bench on its own with no rocking. Line of sight down the chassis and she's straight as a laser beam..plus, if it was bent the other chassis holes would have been affected, which they are not....strange as I guess nobody else has had this yet?. It doesn't seem to be causing the servo any problems so may be all good. Just thought I'd ask
Adam F
20-08-2011, 06:33 AM
Are the holes perfectly straight on the STD 201 chassis?
Just seems odd for it to be so far out without being deliberate.
styleone
22-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Are the holes perfectly straight on the STD 201 chassis?
Just seems odd for it to be so far out without being deliberate.
From what I can see they are straight on the original chassis layout. Its all a bit odd but I guess it isnt affecting the buggy so I'll shut my hairy cake hole :p
Brilliant car anyway:thumbsup:
styleone
23-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Just out of interest what's every body weighing in at with their vega? Interested to know how everybody is finding their buggy at the scales in 'racing trim'? Interested in all models not just 201 that I have.
Post up your model and running weight (averages for most as tuning brass comes and goes for some drivers)
Cheers
styleone
12-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Just out of interest what's every body weighing in at with their vega? Interested to know how everybody is finding their buggy at the scales in 'racing trim'? Interested in all models not just 201 that I have.
Post up your model and running weight (averages for most as tuning brass comes and goes for some drivers)
Cheers
Anybody running the full rudebits weight kit indoor on carpet? thats under servo, under esc, and under lipo saddle brass? :)
RudeTony
12-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Anybody running the full rudebits weight kit indoor on carpet? thats under servo, under esc, and under lipo saddle brass? :)
If totally flat then take the under lipo out - I actually still run it as it makes the car more drivable but I know some like Kev and Jon take it out - it depends what works for you.
If bumpy sections and rumble strips and horrible kick up type jumps then run all the weight
Remember that with less weight run a slightly softer spring
Hope this helps you
Adam F
12-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Anybody running the full rudebits weight kit indoor on carpet? thats under servo, under esc, and under lipo saddle brass? :)
Yup, its awesome...
styleone
12-09-2011, 12:07 PM
If totally flat then take the under lipo out - I actually still run it as it makes the car more drivable but I know some like Kev and Jon take it out - it depends what works for you.
If bumpy sections and rumble strips and horrible kick up type jumps then run all the weight
Remember that with less weight run a slightlt softer spring
Hope this helps you
Cheers Tony, top info as always mate :)
Your feedback is always appreciated
styleone
12-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Yup, its awesome...
Cheers mate :) the buggy kicks arse from every angle, love it
styleone
23-09-2011, 10:57 AM
A quick question for folks, has anybody found another manafacturers wing set that fits the Vega 201 rear end?... I prefer not to have to hack my way through really excessive trimming...thoughts please?
InsideLineModels
23-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Do you mean other than the Vega wings? or are you talking about the Tamiya one?
styleone
23-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Do you mean other than the Vega wings? or are you talking about the Tamiya one?
Hi Kev,
I was talking about the Vega converted 201...I guess it was just an enquiry to see if anybody is using a different wing on this conversion really mate...any info that you may have seen is greatly appreciated :thumbsup:
JustARcFan
23-09-2011, 12:29 PM
You can fit Kyosho RB5 wing mounts.
They fit perfectly without dremelling the shocktower and are MUCH better than the soft Tamiya ones.
CHeers
styleone
23-09-2011, 12:42 PM
You can fit Kyosho RB5 wing mounts.
They fit perfectly without dremelling the shocktower and are MUCH better than the soft Tamiya ones.
CHeers
Aha! Thats what I was thinking to be honest...sorry for not being more explicit in my original post.. The Tamiya mounts are super soft, which in some plastic cases is good but they tend to bend and stay bent :mad:
I may consider swapping to RB5 ones and hopefully open up the options with wing as well then...brilliant info :thumbsup:
RudeTony
23-09-2011, 04:08 PM
For your info the part number is LA213 :)
styleone
24-09-2011, 12:11 AM
For your info the part number is LA213 :)
Cheers Tony, always appreciated mate :thumbsup:
The Chef
26-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Ran my RB5 SP2 VEGA yesterday. MY first ever 2wd racing and I qualified top of the C final :) very easy to drive. I love it and want more track time.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
RudeTony
26-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Ran my RB5 SP2 VEGA yesterday. MY first ever 2wd racing and I qualified top of the C final :) very easy to drive. I love it and want more track time.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
And you didn't put the shocks I built for you - wait till you do that then you will be dancing from the ceilings - LOL
The Chef
27-09-2011, 07:25 AM
:p I'll put those on and make the TEAM.:o
And you didn't put the shocks I built for you - wait till you do that then you will be dancing from the ceilings - LOL
Sounds like I need to get me some of these shocks as well then!! :D
I raced my Vega for the first time on Sunday, also my first time racing with sticks having switched from a wheel.
The consistency of the car was amazing, all 3 heats and final saw me putting in lap after lap of consistent times with improvements in my times throughout the day, ending with my fastest lap coming on the last lap of my final. :thumbsup:
The strength of the car is also fantastic, I clipped a high kerb at full throttle and the car somersaulted end over end about 20 metres down the track hitting the ground 10 or more times! :cry: The damage..... A scuffed wing!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
And you didn't put the shocks I built for you - wait till you do that then you will be dancing from the ceilings - LOL
Tony could you let us know what you mean,they are lovely shocks,but im sure we would all like to know how you made them better:wub
RudeTony
28-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Everyone knows the Kyosho shocks are superb and I didn't do anything to them that can make them better.
Try 3A pistons with 35w up front and 27.5w in the rear - Losi Oil - The Kyosho Vega performs real good as some that have seen mine will verify!!
Try it......
thanks Tony,are you saying,
3A front 35wt orange spring,
3A rear 27.5wt blue spring,
thanks
RudeTony
29-09-2011, 06:28 AM
thanks Tony,are you saying,
3A front 35wt orange spring,
3A rear 27.5wt blue spring,
thanks
That is my starting point on oils/pistons.
My starting point on springs are Silver fronts and Cobalt rear.
Last weekend at TORCH I ended up on yellow fronts and blue rears.
My rear spring get reduced and increased as and when I add or remove weight in the car.
Orange front is softer than those above - I only use it in certain track conditions - Silver front spring makes the car a LOT more stable
RogerM
29-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Tony that damping seems a little soft to me on paper (I personally prefer a 3B/40wt combination in the front of any RB5 based car) but as you say, your car doesn't hang around!
InsideLineModels
29-09-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm running 3b all round with 45 front, 27.5 rear. However, on the bench Tony's feels like it has more pack which is odd. Needs looking at!
RudeTony
30-09-2011, 07:08 AM
now im confused :eh?:
Where are you going to race - I can help you then - Kev and I run slightly different oils so the weight might seem odd - I run Losi oils in my shocks.
Chalkie
30-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Which piston has the larger holes 3A or 3B?
RudeTony
30-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Which piston has the larger holes 3A or 3B?
3A has
Chalkie
30-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks Tony
Where are you going to race - I can help you then - Kev and I run slightly different oils so the weight might seem odd - I run Losi oils in my shocks.
thanks Tony
i will be racing at westbridgford on high grip carpet with fast jumps
and at worksop,its slippy cork with lots of jumps and rummble strips,
iv got two sets of shocks so want one set for on and one set for the other,i also use losi oil
styleone
02-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Just a passing thought guys, anybody tried a front shock tower wing on a vega yet?
VinceB
05-12-2011, 12:34 PM
I drive a B4 version. I was at one point waiting for the centro to come out but gave up waiting. I'm glad I did, the handling is much improved over my B4. One thing I did do is make up a small bracket to protect the rear end from wear as the mogels at my local club were taking their toll.
Just a passing thought guys, anybody tried a front shock tower wing on a vega yet?
I did.
I made one of some leftover lexan, but it didnt do much.
Made the car slide a bit easier when it was on its roof!!
rcpower
05-12-2011, 05:55 PM
I have been running the vega for a year now and I must confirm that it drives superbly on astro, but on clay tracks however I just cannot get it right...
My stock RB5 has a weight bias of 66% on the rear wheels and it runs great on clay.
The Vega obviously has a complete different weight bias. I have to move all the weight to the back and add at least 100gr on his ass to reach about 64%, but even then it doesn't behave like I want it to. Perhaps the chassis gives too little flex in these conditions?
Any setup advice for clay? Perhaps Tony can make some fine brass weights?
SimonW
05-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Try 75g in the lipo area ( i use 1.5mm stainless) and no other added weight and all your electrics as far back as you can that gave me 65/35 with bowties and ribs.
johnnyboy
19-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Any other bodies fit the RB5 Vega? I am not into the stock body...
uijui
19-12-2011, 04:04 PM
I did.
I made one of some leftover lexan, but it didnt do much.
Made the car slide a bit easier when it was on its roof!!
Me also. Looked uglier, lap times were 0,2s slower...
Honeybadger
19-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Any other bodies fit the RB5 Vega? I am not into the stock body...
Yeah, I'd really like a RB5 Vega but the stock shell is Fugly
MHeadling
19-12-2011, 08:40 PM
If you can get a gear cover on it a Centro shell, or Sch Cougar fit.
There are a few pics on Show us you Vega thread
grelland
02-01-2012, 07:09 PM
I have used both a cougar and a centro shell on my B4 Vega, and the Centro fits well without at gear cover, but the cougar shell was impossible to fit without the spur touching the shell.
I have been looking for a solution to mount a gear cover so that I can trim the shell, but no luck so far.
here's the centro shell, and pardon the paint-job... Its my first attempt with an airbrush...http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/grelland/pabil.jpg
uijui
02-01-2012, 07:50 PM
I have used both a cougar and a centro shell on my B4 Vega, and the Centro fits well without at gear cover, but the cougar shell was impossible to fit without the spur touching the shell.
I have been looking for a solution to mount a gear cover so that I can trim the shell, but no luck so far.
here's the centro shell, and pardon the paint-job... Its my first attempt with an airbrush...http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/grelland/pabil.jpg
I'll post picture tomorrow.... B4.1 vega with phat bodies manx cougar shell. And ae gear cover on. You'll have to trim some amount from where the gear cover is.
uijui
06-01-2012, 02:24 PM
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2461/imagehua.jpg
grelland
08-01-2012, 12:37 AM
great
do you have a closeup of how you mounted the gear cover?
The Chef
10-01-2012, 12:22 AM
The Frog's where it's at I tell thee.;)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/swampdub/P1060161.jpg
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.