View Full Version : Serious idea for winter racing.
Si Coe
14-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Rob and I were chatting today about winter plans.
Neither of us are terribly confident about outdoor racing in winter - people say they are up for it now, but given how quick everyone scampers off home when it rains I'm not convinced yet.
Getting an indoor venue is tricky though - we need a lot of space, and we'd also need storage for carpets, track hose etc, and all at a really cheap price.
But following on from Matts thread about the Tomy GX's;
What about if we ran Micro T's and or GX's? They are much smaller, and we could easily find a room - even a pubs function room should be large enough. We might want carpet and track hose - but we are talking one roll, and garden hose which will fit in a car boot.
I'd favor the Micro T over the GX because its fully rebuildable and has proportional steering. JE sell them for £58, but I'm fairly sure if instead of buying individually we ordered in bulk through the club we could knock it down to under £50 (is this possible Stu?) which is no more than you'd spend on tyres racing 1/10ths indoors.
We'd run them stock, everything you need is in the box, but damage is repairable - a whole new gearbox cost me £7.
Only problem I can see is timing would have to be manual - they are too small for handout transponders and the stock electrics have no way of powering a PT.
Who's interested?
mattb
14-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Im going to race indoors, im going to book in for chadderton defo and maybe worksop and then theres always batley indoors inbetween if we dont find an indoor venue.
Si Coe
14-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Well yes thats great Matt - but none of those are anything to do with Bury. We could do with doing something ourselves, whatever that something is.....
mattb
14-08-2011, 04:14 PM
i have got an idea ill pm you,dont discuss it in the open as eveything normaly is. lol
losichris
14-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Rob and I were chatting today about winter plans.
Neither of us are terribly confident about outdoor racing in winter - people say they are up for it now, but given how quick everyone scampers off home when it rains I'm not convinced yet.
I think winter racing outdoors is definatly possible depending on which type of weather comes out.
Winter can be cold but dry, which would be ideal!!
However if we get days like today, when it pours down for 2 mins, 4 times within an hour, its not very fun!
Problem is were setting up for 'Hi-grip' ie not getting any grip roll, as the carpet is very very grippy. But when its wet, the carpet does the complete opposite. Which is fine if youve got time to fiddle about changing things, but wont be nice when its -2 outside in winter.
coleman758
14-08-2011, 05:33 PM
I don't think changing cars to suite the venue is a good idea to be fair. Especially when people spend that much money on cars in the first place.
Surely there is some sports hall available over winter? or some large space? in the Bolton/Bury area. Or maybe even look to racing on a Saturday?
is there no space at Coney Green on the Saturdays?
Like Matt says, People will just go elsewhere otherwise. I don't think i would get a Micro.
RudolfXC
14-08-2011, 06:22 PM
We've raced previously at the Bolton Community College at Horwich and at the Excel Centre in Bolton.
Are these still possibilities?
Jnunu1
14-08-2011, 06:51 PM
If it was mid week indoors i would join, attend, set up and put away! I promise!!!
johnnygibbon
14-08-2011, 07:05 PM
no to micro dude ...we race 10th thats what we do
reckon we try outdoor track see how it go s cant be worse than summer season
called at kieghthly today and got sunburnt marshalling for 5 min
manchester weather rules
Howler
14-08-2011, 07:34 PM
No, micros don't appeal much after what i've poured into 1/10th scale in £££ terms. I'd prefer to race outside all winter anyway, unless the weather gets really bad i'll cope. That's what we always did in the old days.
Si Coe
14-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Well it was just an idea.....
Money is not the issue Coleman, whatever people say. How much was your 410 Ultra chassis? If I'm right on discounts I reckon we could get 3 whole Micro T's for that money. Not chassis, not rollers, whole cars with electrics, radio, charger and even the AA's to run them. So any comments about spending extra is rubbish.
You won't change cars to suit the venue, but you will change days of the week? Maybe that works for you but it doesn't for a lot of others.
We have investigated several venues. So far its all too small, no storage or too expensive. Chadderton for example costs so much you needed 50-60 drivers at a tenner a piece to get close to covering costs. Rossendale got away with their venues because they had a van to cart gear around (ie no storage needed)
Its worth pointing out Jnunu's post - He was a Roundabout regular but Dave's finding it equally hard to get a midweek venue. Sundays are busier than mid-week in the winter for sports halls.
I'm quite happy to go with outdoor racing. I'm used to it - thats what I did as a kid. But the reality is that for a typical wet meeting only have the drivers that entered round 1 are still running come finals, and thats in the Summer. When its 5 degrees its going to be even less.
Personally I rather like the idea of racing in a pubs function room and pitting in the saloon bar. But if people don't fancy it thats fine.
coleman758
14-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Yup i spent a fair few quid on my Durango.... So the point of leaving it at home and racing a £50 "Toy" is what...
I'm not against spending another £50 but whats the point?
There is plenty of other places that are doing indoors, So if bury don't run something i would just go were the "Action" is.
captainlip
14-08-2011, 07:55 PM
£50 or £2000 they're all toys :D
Either way have you seen the size of these things? May as well jus get a big scalextrix :eh?:
No indoors this winter, outdoors and wrap up warm! After all it doesn't rain half as much in the winter months
mattb
14-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Well it was just an idea.....
Money is not the issue Coleman, whatever people say. How much was your 410 Ultra chassis? If I'm right on discounts I reckon we could get 3 whole Micro T's for that money. Not chassis, not rollers, whole cars with electrics, radio, charger and even the AA's to run them. So any comments about spending extra is rubbish.
You won't change cars to suit the venue, but you will change days of the week? Maybe that works for you but it doesn't for a lot of others.
We have investigated several venues. So far its all too small, no storage or too expensive. Chadderton for example costs so much you needed 50-60 drivers at a tenner a piece to get close to covering costs. Rossendale got away with their venues because they had a van to cart gear around (ie no storage needed)
Its worth pointing out Jnunu's post - He was a Roundabout regular but Dave's finding it equally hard to get a midweek venue. Sundays are busier than mid-week in the winter for sports halls.
I'm quite happy to go with outdoor racing. I'm used to it - thats what I did as a kid. But the reality is that for a typical wet meeting only have the drivers that entered round 1 are still running come finals, and thats in the Summer. When its 5 degrees its going to be even less.
Personally I rather like the idea of racing in a pubs function room and pitting in the saloon bar. But if people don't fancy it thats fine.I agree si,weve all agreed to race outdoors through the winter so lets sick with it,all im saying is that i fancy a bit of indoor,chadderton is only once a month and if its raining we can still race but at another club,i dont think we should be expecting to race outdoors every single week through the winter because of the weather.but if its not raining i will race at bury:thumbsup:
johnnygibbon
14-08-2011, 08:27 PM
+ 1 matt
losichris
14-08-2011, 08:38 PM
I agree si,weve all agreed to race outdoors through the winter so lets sick with it,all im saying is that i fancy a bit of indoor,chadderton is only once a month and if its raining we can still race but at another club,i dont think we should be expecting to race outdoors every single week through the winter because of the weather.but if its not raining i will race at bury:thumbsup:
+2 :thumbsup: what happened to the sports hall in Radcliffe? was it last winter it was used?
Big Show
14-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Hi guy's.
What about that warehouse that one of the racers has in trafford.
Roger was telling me that one of the guys had an empty warehouse in trafford that we could use.
You need to ask him about it.
mattb
14-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Hi guy's.
What about that warehouse that one of the racers has in trafford.
Roger was telling me that one of the guys had an empty warehouse in trafford that we could use.
You need to ask him about it.budfish is going to bell him in the morning mate.
Howler
14-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Hehe, i raced touring cars at Millenium way back.
coleman758
14-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Hehe, i raced touring cars at Millenium way back.
Would it be big enough for buggy's?
Ive never seen the inside, but it looks a fair size.
Howler
15-08-2011, 06:36 AM
Big enough... yeah, but ideally you'd want a bit more room, however if it's still got the pits area there it might make up for it being a bit tight.
losichris
15-08-2011, 07:42 AM
Hehe, i raced touring cars at Millenium way back.
I remember that!!
did you ever go to Jubilee Arena in Bury i while back? purpose built indoor venue?
also tourers at Geoffrey Kershaw Centre in Bury was always fun!!
if you are thinking of raceing micro or mini t i am in the middle of signing for a unit in whitefield its about 2450 sq foot it wont be big enough for 1\10 cars as i am using it for a doggy day care centre but i can hire it out for micro racing plenty of room you could use it on wed nights aswell as sunday it would help me out with the rent and help u guys out for a bit of fun racing
Howler
15-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Chris, nope, nope, never went to those, after Millenium closed i quit TC's and went buggy racing at the old goshen track. Always preferred off-road anyway.
losichris
15-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Chris, nope, nope, never went to those, after Millenium closed i quit TC's and went buggy racing at the old goshen track. Always preferred off-road anyway.
I raced at Bury in the mid 90's. when the fire happened burning down the rostrum, not realizing the club were still running shortly after sold all my off-road gear and went indoors. Stupidly not knowing the club sorted out a new rostrum and got the club running again.
I got very bored of flat touring car racing ( within a few months) sold all that gear and gave up.
coleman758
15-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Can someone let me know the budget for venue hire for the Sunday,
I'm going to ask about some space in our building.
M
captainlip
15-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Can someone let me know the budget for venue hire for the Sunday,
I'm going to ask about some space in our building.
M
I wouldn't bother wasting your time and effort matt
Si Coe
15-08-2011, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't bother wasting your time and effort matt
Why not?
Despite your belief there is no conspiracy at play here!
Coleman - There isn't a budget as such. We just need to be able to break even or better with a sensible number of racers at a fair price.
Chadderton is a big, expensive venue, but the answer was to hold big, expensive meetings. In contrast most weeknight clubs are much smaller and cater for only a few heats but at low cost.
Since we aren't really planning on a major series, just indoor club meets - consider 20 drivers paying a fiver as your bench mark. Obviously sometimes we'll have more, but its critical we never have less (or the meeting is a net loss).
Oh and bear in mind we'd need pitting space, somewhere for race control and storage for jumps, rostrum etc.
budfish
15-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Why not?
Despite your belief there is no conspiracy at play here!
Coleman - There isn't a budget as such. We just need to be able to break even or better with a sensible number of racers at a fair price.
Chadderton is a big, expensive venue, but the answer was to hold big, expensive meetings. In contrast most weeknight clubs are much smaller and cater for only a few heats but at low cost.
Since we aren't really planning on a major series, just indoor club meets - consider 20 drivers paying a fiver as your bench mark. Obviously sometimes we'll have more, but its critical we never have less (or the meeting is a net loss).
Oh and bear in mind we'd need pitting space, somewhere for race control and storage for jumps, rostrum etc.
+1 Si
+1 the bear!!
Any where is worth a look. Nice one Coleman
Buds
captainlip
15-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Why not?
Despite your belief there is no conspiracy at play here!
This wasn't the case when he was offering his services on a Wednesday night so there could be a mid week bury event. That was until that was cast into oblivion and received the usual crap
steve-thebabystore
15-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Whats happened to everyone, I remember racing in the mud and sleet - take a flask, gloves and warm coat. I'll find it loads easier to attend from this week onwards and joined Bury 24 years ago when people didn't scarper when they got wet.
Cr3Ad
15-08-2011, 04:46 PM
outside sounds best for me i did that 10+ years ago at bury and i sure dont mind doing it again just need to make sure the kettle is on after all when it snows dont need track markings then just shovel a track out lol
captainlip
15-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Sounds like more want to race outside than they do with indoor micros :thumbsup:
qatmix
15-08-2011, 05:14 PM
The big thing will be breakages, plastic and freezing weather usually makes parts break with much lower tolerances than in normal operating conditions.
Back in the day racing cars with a 19t motor and 1800 nicads they didnt take as much of a beating as a brushless lipo beast of today.
Racing in a pubs function room with cheap spec class cars. Then having a some food and a drink or two afterwards sounds like a good idea for a club, whatever time of the year IMHO. :thumbsup:
Si Coe
15-08-2011, 07:08 PM
As I said - I too have done the outdoor meetings in the winter. I was running an RC10, 1400SCR's (1800's didn't exist back then!) and a 19x2 outdoors at Springfield back as a kid. In fact, I always used to win the Junior class every winter series as I was the only one who would be out there every meeting, rain or snow.
But thats why I'm concerned - because I was the only one coming every time.
The fact is, at a wet meeting lots of people leave early. Stuff stops working properly, people get cold and fed up etc.
However - there is good news. I was speaking to someone yesterday who was working in the clubhouse. The plan is to have a cafe working in there doing tea and pies. They will be serving out of the hatch out the side of the building (ie right near the track) but they will also have a room inside, with freeview TV and a few comfy chairs. That means it will be a good place to go and 'defrost' between rounds.
But Qatmix - I'm still considering this micro-t club idea, midweek, as it has real potential. Its the doing the racing in the pub bit I like.....
Lippy - Wednesday nights was a much more complicated concept involving use of some expensive club equipment by someone we didn't even know that well back then. Essentially there was no problem with Coleman helping, but a committee member would also have to have been present, which kinda defeated the point....
Racing on a Sunday, Rog would still handle all the clubs hardwear - its just that Matt would provide a location.
If you want to know what the problem was, look up the price of an AMB/Mylaps system and you'll see why we weren't going to just let people use it.....
captainlip
15-08-2011, 07:58 PM
What dont you mean? It was literally weeks ago weekdays were discussed and offered by Matt, since then he's been to bury twice, so you know him well enough to trust him now? I don't remember ever seeing you two in the same vicinity so how you know each other so well now I'd like to know.
Si Coe
15-08-2011, 09:23 PM
OK, lets try it differently.
Would I leave Coleman (or you even) in charge of over £3K worth of timing equipment, plus packing away and locking up the outdoor track? No!
Would I store a few rolls of carpet and some metal girders in Colemans warehouse, have Rog bring and supervise the expensive timing gear (and take away with him afterwards) and thereby host a race meeting at said warehouse? Yes!
See the difference is that in scenario A, Coleman is running the meeting and responsible for all of Burys stuff and facilities, whereas in scenario B, Coleman provides a venue and looks after some low value (but bulky) stuff, whilst the important gear is still handled by Roger.
That is a massive difference. The difference between me coming to visit your patients and you leaving me in charge of them!
And I must add - this isn't against Coleman either. It would simply be exactly the same deal as we used at every indoor venue, and the same deal Roundabout used, Ribble use etc.
madmax
15-08-2011, 09:29 PM
how much dous it normaly cost to rent a sports hall on a sunday?
captainlip
15-08-2011, 09:54 PM
How can you even say this when you know nothing? I've extensive IT experience and included in my CV is over 3 years working with British aero space IT support department (CSC Preston), so a laptop and basic timing system are hardly a challenge!
Tbh SI I find your whole judgement of people highly naieve considering your role as a teacher! If you wish to be the one that decides who and who isn't "qualified" for use of the timing system by all means go ahead, but it's a shame you feel me and Matt are so unskilled to using a timing system, next time I'll drop my CV in for you to actually see what I'm capable of!
:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:
OK, lets try it differently.
Would I leave Coleman (or you even) in charge of over £3K worth of timing equipment, plus packing away and locking up the outdoor track? No!
Would I store a few rolls of carpet and some metal girders in Colemans warehouse, have Rog bring and supervise the expensive timing gear (and take away with him afterwards) and thereby host a race meeting at said warehouse? Yes!
See the difference is that in scenario A, Coleman is running the meeting and responsible for all of Burys stuff and facilities, whereas in scenario B, Coleman provides a venue and looks after some low value (but bulky) stuff, whilst the important gear is still handled by Roger.
That is a massive difference. The difference between me coming to visit your patients and you leaving me in charge of them!
And I must add - this isn't against Coleman either. It would simply be exactly the same deal as we used at every indoor venue, and the same deal Roundabout used, Ribble use etc.
Si Coe
15-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Qualified has nothing to do with it!
Its about liability.
If I break it, its my fault.
If I lend it to you and you break it, its my fault.
Whilst I doubt you are any more likely to break it than me, considering I get the blame either way you should be able to see why I'd be reluctant too.
Actually the above isn't strictly true - in actual fact the hardware is in Roger's charge. Only 2 other people have taken it that I know of, Stu and myself - both committee members. We'd not just let Buds or Johnny borrow it any more than we'd let you.
Those are the clubs rules to protect the clubs property. If Rog lent the timing gear to Buds to run a 'Bud Balls Grand Prick (I mean Prix)' and he smashed the AMB connection box (£1200!) meaning we couldn't use the transponders anymore you would be seriously p!ssed.
Stu blocked my suggestion about renting the track out to Dave at Roundabout for Wednesdays because he pointed out that, whilst they were unlikely to damage the astro - if they did, we couldn't race on Sundays. That was just about the astro - Dave has his own timing gear! I wasn't sure at the time, but I can see where he is coming from.
I'm sorry you feel that I'm in some way suggesting you aren't capable. That is not the point. Ultimately only certain people hold the liability of the clubs property.
captainlip
15-08-2011, 11:05 PM
See, now it's clear that's what you meant I fully agree, but your previous post looked like you undermined bury members some what.
which unfortunately for bury does happen from some non committee members trying to run the show themselves.
budfish
16-08-2011, 04:20 AM
How can you even say this when you know nothing? I've extensive IT experience and included in my CV is over 3 years working with British aero space IT support department (CSC Preston), so a laptop and basic timing system are hardly a challenge!
Tbh SI I find your whole judgement of people highly naieve considering your role as a teacher! If you wish to be the one that decides who and who isn't "qualified" for use of the timing system by all means go ahead, but it's a shame you feel me and Matt are so unskilled to using a timing system, next time I'll drop my CV in for you to actually see what I'm capable of!
:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:
You have raced with us about 10 times lippy and Coleman about 6 yes so you are known to the club but your hardly a super loyal raced every weekend bury member. does that mean I trust you no or does anyone else apart from Coleman and minke??? No
It makes me laugh that you have been with the club 10 mins but think you deserve the respect of someone who's been commited to the club for 10 years Are you that stupid???
captainlip
16-08-2011, 07:51 AM
You have raced with us about 10 times lippy and Coleman about 6 yes so you are known to the club but your hardly a super loyal raced every weekend bury member. does that mean I trust you no or does anyone else apart from Coleman and minke??? No
It makes me laugh that you have been with the club 10 mins but think you deserve the respect of someone who's been commited to the club for 10 years Are you that stupid???
You need to start getting your figures right dave numbers don't seem your strong point
coleman758
16-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Just to be clear...
I wouldn't want the liability either way. All i was offering was helping with race control. "Helping" being the crucial word.
As for the space, There would be plenty of space for storage etc... no worry about that. Also the Unit itself is in a Mill, So the Unit could hold the track and pit in the corridor, (Which is massive too!) so either way i think it could be as big as Coney Green if not bigger. The track could stay down too because the unit is empty, there would be alot more you could do with the track also because you wouldn't have to worrie about packing up.
I'm speaking to the guy today to see what he thinks.
coleman758
16-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Ok...
What used to be millennium raceway is available.
Its 6K SQ FT, So its quite big! Ample storage and space for pitting.
They would be looking for about £150 for the day, including electric.
Its currently empty so its there for the taking.
I can get in and take some pictures if need be.
Let me know guys!!
captainlip
16-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Excellent work Matt!
Si Coe
16-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Ok, quick rough number crunching:
Typical Goshen weekend gets 3-4 heats of 6-9 cars - somewhere between 20 and 30 drivers on average. The vast majority are members and pay £5 to race.
Now at £150 for a day we would need 30 minimum at a fiver just to break even. Its feasible, but its tight. If we up the price, say to £7 for members, we would only need 21, which is viable even for a quiet week. But how would people feel about that? Its still a lot cheaper than Chadderton.
Another option which has been talked about before is variable pricing - in theory its £5 but if we are short you might be asked to put a little extra in. Remember the clubs funds are to buy useful stuff like generators, track hose and transponders, not to bail out no show meetings!
I reckon there is real potential here - but not perhaps every week. No point clashing with Chadderton cos we'd run at a loss that week.
As for leaving the track up - I'd envision an indoor version of our outdoor system ie rostrum up, carpet down but track markers and loop only set out on raceday. It just allows more freedom to vary the track layout if we start each meeting with a blank canvas.
so is the owner up for letting the club use the unit when you want does he not want a lease signing and a monthly rent cos at 150 a day thats alot of rent if he gets someone to rent it full time he would be kicking the club out
budfish
16-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Ok, quick rough number crunching:
Typical Goshen weekend gets 3-4 heats of 6-9 cars - somewhere between 20 and 30 drivers on average. The vast majority are members and pay £5 to race.
Now at £150 for a day we would need 30 minimum at a fiver just to break even. Its feasible, but its tight. If we up the price, say to £7 for members, we would only need 21, which is viable even for a quiet week. But how would people feel about that? Its still a lot cheaper than Chadderton.
Another option which has been talked about before is variable pricing - in theory its £5 but if we are short you might be asked to put a little extra in. Remember the clubs funds are to buy useful stuff like generators, track hose and transponders, not to bail out no show meetings!
I reckon there is real potential here - but not perhaps every week. No point clashing with Chadderton cos we'd run at a loss that week.
As for leaving the track up - I'd envision an indoor version of our outdoor system ie rostrum up, carpet down but track markers and loop only set out on raceday. It just allows more freedom to vary the track layout if we start each meeting with a blank canvas.
You got a pm Si!!!
stoff
16-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Guys if you can sort it so that touring cars will be able to run you're on to a winner. There are no clubs doing TCs in or around Manchester and there will be a large number of people that want to race them!
*EDIT* apart from Cheadle of course
budfish
16-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Guys if you can sort it so that touring cars will be able to run you're on to a winner. There are no clubs doing TCs in or around Manchester and there will be a large number of people that want to race them!
*EDIT* apart from Cheadle of course
I didn't realise you was only in Stockport chris:thumbsup:
stoff
16-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Yep! Home of the famous Cheadle End! :thumbsup:
coleman758
16-08-2011, 11:44 AM
so is the owner up for letting the club use the unit when you want does he not want a lease signing and a monthly rent cos at 150 a day thats alot of rent if he gets someone to rent it full time he would be kicking the club out
We rent 5 units at this place so we spend a fair few quid, The unit is empty, so its £150 better off for them. Its been empty for abut 2 years now.
Mainly because there is a slope on one side. (Not an issue for us.)
so if they did get an offer of a permanent lease yes we would have to move, but its very very unlikely.
The offer is there on the table. Ive done what i can do.
If its if interest to the club let me know.
Jnunu1
16-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Ok, quick rough number crunching:
Typical Goshen weekend gets 3-4 heats of 6-9 cars - somewhere between 20 and 30 drivers on average. The vast majority are members and pay £5 to race.
Now at £150 for a day we would need 30 minimum at a fiver just to break even. Its feasible, but its tight. If we up the price, say to £7 for members, we would only need 21, which is viable even for a quiet week. But how would people feel about that? Its still a lot cheaper than Chadderton.
Another option which has been talked about before is variable pricing - in theory its £5 but if we are short you might be asked to put a little extra in. Remember the clubs funds are to buy useful stuff like generators, track hose and transponders, not to bail out no show meetings!
I reckon there is real potential here - but not perhaps every week. No point clashing with Chadderton cos we'd run at a loss that week.
As for leaving the track up - I'd envision an indoor version of our outdoor system ie rostrum up, carpet down but track markers and loop only set out on raceday. It just allows more freedom to vary the track layout if we start each meeting with a blank canvas.
...there would be no clashing and I as there in NO mid week racing in the NW at all I reackon you could charge £7 AND get more than 21. How many used to be at RR on a regular basis - must have been more then 20? (Sorry to bang on about Weds nights - its my only option!:()
Si Coe
16-08-2011, 11:56 AM
OK, so to sum up....
We've got somewhere we can race micros, and somewhere we can run touring cars....
I completely get the touring car point, but I've never liked running the two types on one track. Too much faffing with layouts, removing jumps etc. And Roundabout never had more than a handful. It might help if we were only a few short on numbers but likely more trouble than its worth.
Anyway, several options are being researched, so at this stage we are just talking options.
What I would propose is that we run no more than 1 indoor meeting a month - it keeps numbers up and avoids clashing with other series. And if people are up for it, we can run outdoors the rest of the time. In effect Goshen is paid for, so running there just costs us some genny fuel, which means as long as there are enough people to run a meeting (8-10) we can race. If there really are 10 or more foolhardy wintery souls out there, we can do some outdoor meetings - all I'm after is an alternative for those who prefer not to get frostbite!
I believe this is how Southport do it too.
Jnunu1
16-08-2011, 11:58 AM
OK, so to sum up....
We've got somewhere we can race micros, and somewhere we can run touring cars....
I completely get the touring car point, but I've never liked running the two types on one track. Too much faffing with layouts, removing jumps etc. And Roundabout never had more than a handful. It might help if we were only a few short on numbers but likely more trouble than its worth.
Anyway, several options are being researched, so at this stage we are just talking options.
What I would propose is that we run no more than 1 indoor meeting a month - it keeps numbers up and avoids clashing with other series. And if people are up for it, we can run outdoors the rest of the time. In effect Goshen is paid for, so running there just costs us some genny fuel, which means as long as there are enough people to run a meeting (8-10) we can race. If there really are 10 or more foolhardy wintery souls out there, we can do some outdoor meetings - all I'm after is an alternative for those who prefer not to get frostbite!
I believe this is how Southport do it too.
:cry:
coleman758
16-08-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm up for outdoors too!
I've got a tent now boys! so bring on some hardcore racing!
I reckon twice a month would be better, You don't want people to loose interest.
(By the way, for indoors, I was not suggesting to run Touring Cars, just that it had been used for Touring Car, So we could run our 1/10 buggy's)
captainlip
16-08-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm up for outdoors too!
I've got a tent now boys! so bring on some hardcore racing!
I reckon twice a month would be better, You don't want people to loose interest.
(By the way, for indoors, I was not suggesting to run Touring Cars, just that it had been used for Touring Car, So we could run our 1/10 buggy's)
I'll sort the heating out for the tango tent :D unless you fancy lighting up some lipos again when it gets nippy :D
Si Coe
16-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Don't forget that the Chadderton and Worksop series are massive so tend to deplete numbers. Furthermore they are pricy so folks don't attend many 'minor' meetings inbetween.
If you check other peoples winter calendars I suspect you'll find we couldn't really go more than once every 3-4 weeks. Certainly that was the frequency last winter when we did the same thing.
coleman758
16-08-2011, 12:13 PM
I think the sensible answer here, is just go outdoors. If its only once a month. there shouldn't be a massive issue.
People just need to man up! (and buy a tent!)
budfish
16-08-2011, 12:22 PM
I think the sensible answer here, is just go outdoors. If its only once a month. there shouldn't be a massive issue.
People just need to man up! (and buy a tent!)
I'm going to get a transit wilky looks pretty comfortable in his:thumbsup:
Buds
coleman758
16-08-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm going to get a transit wilky looks pretty comfortable in his:thumbsup:
Buds
haha! to be honest its a great idea!!
There was a few guys at woodvale in vans, but then slept in a tent....
i was like. ditch the tent. get the airbed in the blood van!
Were getting a new van for work shortley, so i may even have to steal that for the weekend!
Si Coe
16-08-2011, 12:33 PM
I think the sensible answer here, is just go outdoors. If its only once a month. there shouldn't be a massive issue.
People just need to man up! (and buy a tent!)
No - the idea is we go indoors once a month, and outdoors all the rest of the time! If its just a few nutters in the freezing cold it doesn't matter if Chadderton is running - we need no more than 8 people not including race control to run at Goshen, so we can do that every week. We need 20-30 to run indoors, so that mustn't clash with anything else.
coleman758
16-08-2011, 12:44 PM
No - the idea is we go indoors once a month, and outdoors all the rest of the time! If its just a few nutters in the freezing cold it doesn't matter if Chadderton is running - we need no more than 8 people not including race control to run at Goshen, so we can do that every week. We need 20-30 to run indoors, so that mustn't clash with anything else.
Ahh right, For one week is there much point then?
I would just stick to outdoors, if people want to go indoors once a month, go to Southport,Chadderton,Ribble Valley.
I thought the plan was to run indoors once a month and leave outdoors until easter. My bad.
qatmix
16-08-2011, 01:03 PM
If you ran TC's indoors at the weekend it would increase numbers as their isnt anywhere in Manchester that supports them at the weekend. That could increase numbers, as some people from cheadle would attend (we could promote the weekend race at the cheadle club)
If its Midweek you have cheadle which is fine for Midweek Tc racing with 20 or so racing.
Howler
16-08-2011, 02:42 PM
They used to run buggies and TC's at the same meeting at Macc, really all you need to do is remove a couple of jumps for each TC round.
steve-thebabystore
16-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Exactly, if numbers can be boosted and the site will support micro, TC and buggies/SCT then it will only take 30 seconds to move each jump
stoff
16-08-2011, 04:30 PM
They used to run buggies and TC's at the same meeting at Macc, really all you need to do is remove a couple of jumps for each TC round.
Indeed! Plus we had the ingenious fold out table top!
budfish
17-08-2011, 06:11 PM
I'm going to get a transit wilky looks pretty comfortable in his:thumbsup:
Buds
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Budfish1975/95c5f6c5.jpg
The race tent!!!
shanks
17-08-2011, 06:42 PM
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Budfish1975/95c5f6c5.jpg
The race tent!!!
Nice! Looks like you could fit a lot in there - like a couple of compressors or something
Si Coe
17-08-2011, 07:16 PM
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Budfish1975/95c5f6c5.jpg
The race tent!!!
Is this your new Buds Balls promotion?
Guess how many Buds Balls can fit in a Transit van! Winner gets a 'free night out' in the back of Buds van with a few cans of Stella and a tub of diff lube!
budfish
17-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Is this your new Buds Balls promotion?
Guess how many Buds Balls can fit in a Transit van! Winner gets a 'free night out' in the back of Buds van with a few cans of Stella and a tub of spliff lube!
How dare you!! What are you implying??
jameswilkinson7
17-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Nice van mate:thumbsup: Vans are ace, I love mine:wub
johnnygibbon
17-08-2011, 07:36 PM
gypsy seal of approval
transits are ace
budfish
17-08-2011, 07:44 PM
gypsy seal of approval
transits are ace
Ive only got it for racing and storage private plate included better than messing the Volvo up, also we can chuck the lip in the pack take him to the moors and make him dig his own grave the tool!!!
Buds
captainlip
17-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Finally a vehicle you will fit your head in :thumbsup:
budfish
17-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Finally a vehicle you will fit your head in :thumbsup:
Have you not signed up to buds balls users asc yet lip go on have a look how many f1 driver endorsements i got:thumbsup::thumbsup:
budfish
17-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Finally a vehicle you will fit your head in :thumbsup:
You turd I hope you choke on your own vomit
captainlip
17-08-2011, 08:50 PM
You turd I hope you choke on your own vomit
I'm pretty sure your listed as having a personality disorder :thumbsup:
coleman758
18-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Van envy :thumbsup:
That should be sweet for the track,
Make sure it's fully equipt with a BBQ!
budfish
18-08-2011, 07:13 AM
I'm pretty sure your listed as having a personality disorder :thumbsup:
Zero tolerance of fools isn't a personality disorder:thumbsup:
Whiskers
05-10-2011, 07:26 PM
So where, and what are we racing over winter?
Si Coe
05-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Outside for now, but its being looked into.
Cost, space and time are issues right now.
Jnunu1
06-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Outside for now, but its being looked into.
Cost, space and time are issues right now.
....to the roundabout thread! Must be able to sort a bury/rr mash-up?
coleman758
07-10-2011, 01:55 PM
....to the roundabout thread! Must be able to sort a bury/rr mash-up?
I can't see that being such a bad idea :thumbsup:
The tracks a good size with plenty of space for pitting.
Si Coe
07-10-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm starting to think we'll have to consider it, if only because we can't really have both places running on Sundays. Just not enough people for that.
Howler
07-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Why not alternate? One week in, one out?
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.