PDA

View Full Version : Considering a VEGA which base is best?


The Chef
14-08-2011, 09:28 PM
As above really. I run an SX3 in 4wd and I'm looking for a 2wd Vega is there any recommendations for base kit, I'm looking at the B4.1 at the moment.

Opinions please.

InsideLineModels
14-08-2011, 10:04 PM
All the vega conversions seem to perform really well. The kyosho has more of the top drivers running it so there's probably more support for setups with that chassis.

The B4.1 will be a great car and spares availability will be good because of the popularity of the base chassis.

If spares support is a concern, we will be introducing a full range of kyosho spares to our website in the next week or so.

The choice is yours! :thumbsup:

The Chef
14-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Ok thank you.

I guess the B4.1 makes the most sense. But Kyosho and Tamiya are both metric.

styleone
14-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Ok thank you.

I guess the B4.1 makes the most sense. But Kyosho and Tamiya are both metric.

I've got 201 version and it is very very good. To be honest the whole vega platform is extremely good. As you say, if you favour metric format then 201 and kyosho are great for you. The b4.1 version does have the advantage of a massive abundance of spares everywhere for the associated parts of your conversion. The conversion of the 201 was a little more 'mathamatical' due to the kick up on the tamiya buggy.

The kyosho version is the original conversion so benefits from loads more users dset ups and tips due to it being on the market a few months longer.

You obviously already have seen the amazing quality and workmanship from xtreme so you will not be dissapointed which ever one you select. They are beautifully made, lovely to work on and set up, and drive better than most other mids I've laid my hands on. For an average driver (like me) they really make the journey so much more responsive and consistent. Fast in the turns and fly like a dream.

Make the jump, you'll love them :)

Good luck making your choice

The Chef
14-08-2011, 10:44 PM
When you say 'mathamatical' what exactly do you mean please?

reg
14-08-2011, 10:47 PM
If spares support is a concern, we will be introducing a full range of kyosho spares to our website in the next week or so.The choice is yours! :thumbsup:

another place to get kyosho:wub

styleone
14-08-2011, 10:54 PM
When you say 'mathamatical' what exactly do you mean please?

Sorry, didn't mean to sound vauge there :) by that I mean that xtreme had to spend extra time sorting out the front end geometry due to the angle of the 201's kick up. Its resulted in an amazing lay out really. As you may know from seeing other conversions over the years, it a hell of an acheivement for them to create a conversion that is deadly consistent across 3 manufacturers and buggys. Yes each one has slightly different set up details, but the 'race trim' ( added brass weights and wing size/gurny) are vurtually the same across the board. This comes down to xtremes wicked chassis template, same internal dimensions, same shell, same space no matter which one you choose :)

Completely awesome product

The Chef
14-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Thank you, I'll see if I win the 201 I'm Bidding on:p

styleone
14-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Thank you, I'll see if I win the 201 I'm Bidding on:p

No probs mate, fingers crossed for you ;).....let us all know on this thread when you grab one. Be good to know which one you get :thumbsup:......Oh by the way, just as an added bonus, Tamiya do a front axle conversion as a 201 hop up to run other size bearings!! opens up the options for wheel choice as it can be a pig to get Tamiya rims.....Although Simon at RC Lazy has recently become a solid stockist of Tamiya whites so its allllll gooooood...get ready for your ali dream 2wd...happy buying :drool:

The Chef
14-08-2011, 11:26 PM
I love the guys at RC Lazy:woot: They always get what they say when they say and are very friendly to boot;) I'll see how I go as this will be my first 2wd ever:o

Adam F
15-08-2011, 09:11 AM
If spares support is a concern, we will be introducing a full range of kyosho spares to our website in the next week or so.

The choice is yours! :thumbsup:

Top man!!!!!

mikeyscott
15-08-2011, 09:30 AM
If it was me I'd get the RB5 edition.

I had the TRF201 edition, awesome just had a few ££ to sort out so it went.

The Chef
03-09-2011, 08:55 AM
RB5 SP2 I Have:thumbsup: Do any shops stock the Vega stuff or is it just mail order?

Looks like a well made car.

styleone
04-09-2011, 11:30 PM
RB5 SP2 I Have:thumbsup: Do any shops stock the Vega stuff or is it just mail order?

Looks like a well made car.

Retail isn't something that's in abundance with any Xtreme product but with Kev over at Insideline its an easy solution, loads of products, great advice and a fast and friendly service. InsideLineRacing for all your Vega bits...simples ;)

tomtom
05-09-2011, 01:09 AM
I really like the Kyosho parts quality.

Almost didn't break anything (:blush:), I was amazed it didn't on some crashes. Plus shocks are nice too.

Glad I choose RB5 base.

+1 on Inside Line (very goods tips too on the car, vey quick and really helpfull).

Adam F
05-09-2011, 07:01 AM
+1 Inside line, plus he does Kyosho bits now too :thumbsup:

The Chef
05-09-2011, 07:18 AM
I'll give him a go:)

styleone
05-09-2011, 08:58 AM
I'll give him a go:)

You won't regret it,Kev is ace

:thumbsup:

InsideLineModels
05-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys! My wife, Ana, and I do our best :)

If there are any Kyosho bits not listed or in stock please let me know.. I think i've covered everything but we have a few bits on back order that should be in shortly.

The Chef
05-09-2011, 04:02 PM
What tracks do you attend? Would like to say hello?

InsideLineModels
06-09-2011, 07:37 PM
What tracks do you attend? Would like to say hello?

I race at all the nationals and mid south regionals (although all of these are over for the year now). I'm local to Stotfold so get up there a fair bit. I'll be at most of the major races over the winter hopefully too.

Maybe I'll see you at one of them!
Kev Lee

The Chef
06-09-2011, 07:39 PM
May be. I did venture up to the last regional there. As I get better I'll have a go at the nationals next year.

reg
06-09-2011, 07:51 PM
I race at all the nationals and mid south regionals (although all of these are over for the year now). I'm local to Stotfold so get up there a fair bit. I'll be at most of the major races over the winter hopefully too.

Maybe I'll see you at one of them!
Kev Lee


hi kev,will you be at the 345`s next weekend

InsideLineModels
06-09-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm afraid not, I can't make that weekend. Good luck if you are going though!

chuckie stella
07-09-2011, 12:05 AM
hi kev,will you be at the 345`s next weekend

Hi Reg,
I hope to attend this meeting to pit for a mate (another vega lover) so if you need anything just come and ask!
Matt

reg
07-09-2011, 06:18 AM
no worries Kev.........thank
Hi Reg,
I hope to attend this meeting to pit for a mate (another vega lover) so if you need anything just come and ask!
Matt


Cool,thanks Mat:thumbsup:

ben broughton
07-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Hi Reg,
I hope to attend this meeting to pit for a mate (another vega lover) so if you need anything just come and ask!
Matt

:thumbsup:

cjm_2008
07-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Hi,

I'm running my standard 201 on astroturf, and the main issue I'm having is understeer - during all cornering phases. is this a normal rear-motor trait?

will the vega conversion sort this?

InsideLineModels
07-09-2011, 12:17 PM
You shouldn't really be getting that much understeer with any car thats set up correctly, so there might be something wrong somewhere. I assume you are using the same tyres as others at your track? Failing that, the next thing to look at would be ballast.

The inboard conversions generally make the cars more forgiving and from what i've seen of the Tamyia versions, they have loads of steering.

We have a one Tamiya Vega conversion in stock if you do decide to go for one.

Kev

cjm_2008
07-09-2011, 12:28 PM
You shouldn't really be getting that much understeer with any car thats set up correctly, so there might be something wrong somewhere. I assume you are using the same tyres as others at your track? Failing that, the next thing to look at would be ballast.

The inboard conversions generally make the cars more forgiving and from what i've seen of the Tamyia versions, they have loads of steering.

We have a one Tamiya Vega conversion in stock if you do decide to go for one.

Kev

generally people were running yellow minis on the rear, cut staggers on the front. I left the rear as it was and went for narrow yellow minis on the front for more steering, which helped, but under power the front end would just keep pushing. I might experiment a bit more with weight distribution :)

Body Paint
07-09-2011, 01:11 PM
I asume you are talking about Cobra Craig?

I'd say exactly the same as Kev... he's quite a clever chap :thumbsup:

201 may lack a little on power steering but shouldn't be as bad as you describe. Are you running the new cut staggers? or old staggers that have been cut, if you are running the latter this may be your problem.

I would also agree with Kev about Vega conversion. From what I have seen of the car it makes the car more settled in general on the bumpy astro and gives a little more steering on power.

IMHO car of choice in the dry would be Vega 201 and if damp/wet TRF 201

Just wish I had either :( LOL

For now I'll stick with the B4.1

GRIFF55
07-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Really? I found the old stagger that had been cut gave more steering on my 201 and also on the tardis. I also found using a concepts b4 front wing, cut to fit the 201 helped loads:thumbsup:
Have to agree that the vega should be waaaay better on high grip tracks for us mere mortals who can't rag the rear motor around a track like some do.

cjm_2008
07-09-2011, 01:55 PM
I asume you are talking about Cobra Craig?

I'd say exactly the same as Kev... he's quite a clever chap :thumbsup:

201 may lack a little on power steering but shouldn't be as bad as you describe. Are you running the new cut staggers? or old staggers that have been cut, if you are running the latter this may be your problem.

I would also agree with Kev about Vega conversion. From what I have seen of the car it makes the car more settled in general on the bumpy astro and gives a little more steering on power.

IMHO car of choice in the dry would be Vega 201 and if damp/wet TRF 201

Just wish I had either :( LOL

For now I'll stick with the B4.1

indeed mr harris, cobra was the venue. I'm running the new style staggers with the paired inner blocks. I'm going to have to experiment with damping to move the balance to where I want... and get a bit more practice!

finished 4th though so it wasn't so bad.

sorry - total thread hijack!

The Chef
07-09-2011, 09:53 PM
A few more shells and I'm in:)

The Chef
12-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Went to order My Vega today, Got to the check out page and all the Prices are PLUS VAT:cry::cry: Guess I'll have to wait. I thought all prices have to be including VAT or at least say they don't include vat.

So I'll have to wait a little longer.:thumbdown:

Rebelrc
12-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Hi chef
How do you know you have to add vat?
You must have read it some where lol
They have no vat added on the price cause overseas orders do not have to pay vat there for would be confusing for them
Hth:)

The Chef
12-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Hi chef
How do you know you have to add vat?
You must have read it some where lol
They have no vat added on the price cause overseas orders do not have to pay vat there for would be confusing for them
Hth:)

I found out I have to add VAT on the checkout page as I said. Hey ho. Just sold some shizzle on ebay so I can now afford it:thumbsup:

Pedros20
12-09-2011, 07:58 PM
I found out I have to add VAT on the checkout page as I said. Hey ho. Just sold some shizzle on ebay so I can now afford it:thumbsup:

Is it the Rb5 Vega back in stock now? The last time I looked they where sold out?

The Chef
12-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Just ordered one. It said that the B4.1 is out of stock so I guess that the RB5 version would say out of stock.

Pedros20
12-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Just ordered one. It said that the B4.1 is out of stock so I guess that the RB5 version would say out of stock.

Hmm don't get that then, I've been looking in Inside Line racing's web site all week & it says there sold out? Unless your getting yours from somewhere else? Only the 201 kit left in stock?

/tobys
12-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Here you go mate

http://www.teamxtreme.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=393

:thumbsup:

spenner
12-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Just ordered one. It said that the B4.1 is out of stock so I guess that the RB5 version would say out of stock.

Not saying they are or are not in stock but why would the RB5 be out of stock if the B4.1 one is ??

Just out of interest ?

Pedros20
12-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Here you go mate

http://www.teamxtreme.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=393

:thumbsup:

Cheers Toby.
Thought they where only available from Inside Line racing.:thumbsup:

InsideLineModels
12-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Cheers Toby.
Thought they where only available from Inside Line racing.:thumbsup:

We will have stock soon! :)

The Chef
12-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Not saying they are or are not in stock but why would the RB5 be out of stock if the B4.1 one is ??

Just out of interest ?

That's not what I ment. I was saying that the site says when an item is out of stock as it is saying the B4. is out of stock, implying that there was no note on the RB5 so I guess they have stock.

Hope that helps.

K:thumbsup:

spenner
13-09-2011, 06:37 AM
As clear as day now... :)

The Chef
13-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Hope it will arrive tomorrow.:)

The Chef
13-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Ok so the VEGA will be here tomorrow I hope, I only have the stock RB5 SP2 car will I need any other hop ups? I ordered the Machined Idler gear from Team-X but is there anything else that I need?

reg
13-09-2011, 07:20 PM
i would get the wide rear rear ali hinge pin holder and the rear front,i think insideracing has them both:thumbsup:

The Chef
13-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Cool thank you, anything else?

SimonW
13-09-2011, 08:24 PM
+1 degree Alloy hubs or if you can't afford/find them try the plastic 0.5 deg hubs they will get you running.

The Chef
13-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Front or rear?

reg
13-09-2011, 08:38 PM
the rear chef..........what do they do to help?

Piman
13-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Try the standard 0 deg hubs first. You may not need to spend that much on the extra hubs as a number of people are moving from 1 deg back to the standard hubs.

James

The Chef
13-09-2011, 10:11 PM
the rear chef..........what do they do to help?

Yes what do they do? Make the car less twitchy?

tomtom
13-09-2011, 11:05 PM
I have bought all three of them (0, 0.5 and 1), only use 0 now, mostly on astro but 0.5 might come handy in low grip. 1 barely useful.

The wider front hinge pin is nice too and I put alloy washers in place of plastic shims.

Don't forget the Rudebits 92g ESC weight, very much needed and maybe a 60g or so for underlipo weight if bumpy.

Check the Vega forum part, I write a little how-to on that build, mostly tips from Kevin or Matt.

Adam F
14-09-2011, 12:01 PM
I use the 1 degree rear hubs on low grip surfaces, they work well..

The Chef
17-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Got the Vega, Super quick delivery:D:D:D

Rebelrc
18-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Cool!
Is it nice?:)

reg
18-09-2011, 12:29 PM
I run the RB5 SP2,the vega is the best car iv ever run,iv been running mine indoor on carpet for 3 weeks,i ran it at the the f3,4,5 out door,all i changed was the wheel base,had i not been told by the man on the mic how well i was doing i would have been in the top 10:woot:..........im just starting to push the car and it just eats up what you throw at it,im still running the kit RB5 springs and just a bit of lead under the speedo,i dont know who said they are no good in the wet,mine was awsome,but then i did have a L**I 22 :woot:

Rebelrc
18-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Hey reg
How does you vega stack up against the 22?
I think some of my mates that have 22's are quite jealous of how good my vega is.
Mine feels like it begs me to push harder lol

reg
18-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Hey reg
How does you vega stack up against the 22?
I think some of my mates that have 22's are quite jealous of how good my vega is.
Mine feels like it begs me to push harder lol


:thumbsup:.......

I just found that for me,and from watching on track yesterday with changable conditions,the 22 was inconsistant,hard to push and most of the ones i watched seem to double bounce on landings off the jumps,not a big issue,but a few jumps ment you landed on the corner,so when pushing the car rolled over as they turned

the vega however,its just a joy to drive,i just know there is more to come as iv only ran it 5 times,im already nearly 2 laps quicker:thumbsup:....

The Chef
18-09-2011, 04:04 PM
I'll let you know on sunday. I've not run it yet.:thumbsup:

Skye
18-09-2011, 08:08 PM
With the help of Kev Lee I got mine finished today and gave it a dozen or so laps practice. It felt better than my B44.1 has ever felt and that's had months of tinkering with it. The Vega was just faster though, it carried more speed into the corners, was more stable, jumped great, I loved it. I can't wait to race it now! :thumbsup:

The Chef
18-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Painted it today.:p
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/swampdub/Painted%20shells/P1050549.jpg


I would still like a FROG. Come on guys get it together.