PDA

View Full Version : indoor racing


les
15-08-2011, 10:29 AM
if you are thinking of racing mini t indoors over the winter i am getting a industrail unit in whitefield its 2450 sq foot its not big enough fot 1\10 but plenty of room for the smaller cars you could use it on the wed nights and sundays not a prob i am getting it in october i could prob store a bit of stuff carpet etc i am using it for a doggy day care centre there will be a foam flooring down but u could lay carpet over it i spoke to rodger and he says its a good idea it would help me out with the rent and you guys can have a bit of fun racing

captainlip
15-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Were a 1/10th racing club

les
15-08-2011, 11:03 AM
yes i no that ive raced at the club since i was 12 si and rob was on about raceing mini t over the winter and may want some were indoors

coleman758
15-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Surely that would be big enough for a 1/10 track? even if it has to be a little smaller than normal. Our unit is about 3,000 Sq Ft and i think it would be ample?

Although pitting space would be tight. But it doesn't have to be trackside?

les
15-08-2011, 11:27 AM
not sure it would i have to build some kennals in the unit some were there is a up stairs to it which could be used for pitting its a mesinaine floor i cant spell sorry so pitting not a prob there would be nothin stopping u runing 1\10 there i have to go this week to measure up i will drag rodger there with me to have a look see what he thinks

captainlip
15-08-2011, 11:32 AM
I can't see that one person says to race micro were all going to rush out and buy micros.

les
15-08-2011, 11:36 AM
i think its just an idea mate dont get carryed away

budfish
15-08-2011, 02:41 PM
i think its just an idea mate dont get carryed away

Nice one les

Captainlip:- les is a member of bury and a respected one at that(only with regards to his racing) he was here long before any of us currently racing
He is also a sponsored driver who races with woody at the nationals
So please don't be so flippant in your response to his kind and genuine offer

Buds

Si Coe
15-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Also - I should point out that Southport are a 1/10th club. In the winter they race in a small hall. They still run 1/10ths, but given the size of the hall a significant number of members actually buy and run 1/18ths as they are more suited to the space.
Admittedly they don't have to - there are 1/10th heats, but it just shows.

I wouldn't mind but if we do run indoors somewhere small enough to make a micro a significant advantage I reckon Lippy would be one of the first to arrive with a Mongoose equipped Shark!


Anyway - Thanks Les!

Its all just ideas for now, but its worth exploring all the options....

captainlip
15-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Nice one les

Captainlip:- les is a member of bury and a respected one at that(only with regards to his racing) he was here long before any of us currently racing
He is also a sponsored driver who races with woody at the nationals
So please don't be so flippant in your response to his kind and genuine offer

Buds

There's no flippant comments here that's your job dave! Secondly we shouldn't be asked to consider buying pathetic little micro things so we can carry on throughout the winter when there is a perfectly good "all weather" track sitting there.

captainlip
15-08-2011, 03:38 PM
i think its just an idea mate dont get carryed away

It wasnt directed to you les being the "one person" I remember a fellow member posting a thread and suddenly it reached a point of suggesting group buys and racing in pubs :eh?:

The post had nothing to do with your thread mate.

budfish
15-08-2011, 03:49 PM
There's no flippant comments here that's your job dave! Secondly we shouldn't be asked to consider buying pathetic little micro things so we can carry on throughout the winter when there is a perfectly good "all weather" track sitting there.

Listen lip you are just a turd on the tide.

I like the use of the word "we" you speak for no one else but yourself and you have an opinion and your entitled to it but it's yours so if I was you I would use "I" instead.

steve-thebabystore
15-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Don't know if anyone ever raced at the old goshen indoor track, but this was just in excess of a badminton court in size and with the old 27t motors quite capable of taking 1/10 off road cars with 6 car heats. We ran here for about 2 years in the winter and outside on the old purpose built track if weather permitted - though it was grass and soil in those days.

ryanlownie
15-08-2011, 04:07 PM
I think it's a cool idea.. If a few of you have the Micro's and get racing them I might be tempted to get one myself!

:thumbsup:

I don't know if you've seen the Kyosho Mini-Z's but they run on tracks like this:

http://www.rc-area.co.uk/blog/2010/06/03/new-r241raceway-mini-z-track-at-kyosho-america/

Maybe a track like that for the Micro cars?

Stotty
15-08-2011, 04:09 PM
I ain't going buying a micro just to race winter. The money from that could to somthing better.
I also agree that most people scatter when it starts raining so many won't turn up in winter for an outdoor winter series.
I say just wrap up warm lol and bring some stuff to burn.

budfish
15-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Don't know if anyone ever raced at the old goshen indoor track, but this was just in excess of a badminton court in size and with the old 27t motors quite capable of taking 1/10 off road cars with 6 car heats. We ran here for about 2 years in the winter and outside on the old purpose built track if weather permitted - though it was grass and soil in those days.

That's the beauty of les's offer if weather is bad upto les's pet warehouse and if the weather is good goshen it is !! at a moments notice

Not like other venues we have had where we had to book well in advance this way we get the best of both worlds.

Looks like it's a slash vxl 1/16 for me!!!!:thumbsup:

ryanlownie
15-08-2011, 04:12 PM
I don't think it's been suggested as a replacement for the 1/10 but more an alternative to the 1/10 racing...

Even with the club booming as far as new members are concerned, it's always a good idea to look at other classes as you're expanding to a whole new range of racers, there are plenty of micro owners out there and I'm positive they'll want to race given the chance!

budfish
15-08-2011, 04:13 PM
I think it's a cool idea.. If a few of you have the Micro's and get racing them I might be tempted to get one myself!

:thumbsup:

I don't know if you've seen the Kyosho Mini-Z's but they run on tracks like this:

http://www.rc-area.co.uk/blog/2010/06/03/new-r241raceway-mini-z-track-at-kyosho-america/

Maybe a track like that for the Micro cars?

+1 :thumbsup:

Col
15-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Just my 2p, so feel free to ignore it...

It's chilly in winter. If it even looks like rain you'll have 3 people at the track. That is the simple truth - just ask any Dianne at Batley.

I'd run 10th in Les's cheap to use unit with <20t brushed equivilent motors and get some club funds saved up.

captainlip
15-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Listen lip you are just a turd on the tide.

I like the use of the word "we" you speak for no one else but yourself and you have an opinion and your entitled to it but it's yours so if I was you I would use "I" instead.

Your input is worth nothing

ryanlownie
15-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Just speaking to Rob in the shop and on the subject of the Micro-T's he suggested keeping it a stock class, everyone on the same specification rather like what they do with the Mardave's. That way you're all having good fun with an even playing field, the only difference being driver skill....

budfish
15-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Your input is worth nothing


It's worth 10 of yours you insignificant little turd lips bitz you are a joke !! Simples!!!

captainlip
15-08-2011, 04:36 PM
It's worth 10 of yours you insignificant little turd lips bitz you are a joke !! Simples!!!

Keep telling yourself that!

davidmog99
15-08-2011, 04:45 PM
If you are going to race micros the gt14b is the way to go. Just add lipo, change the pinion maybe springs and oil and off you go.
You can buy hopups but they arent really needed. Fantastic brushless system included. Youtube has some footage from the ukmicrox. The speeds are awesome.
You might find you like racing micro indoors instead of freezing your buds balls off.
Maybe some of your members wont like it, but im sure one wont be missed.:thumbsup:

budfish
15-08-2011, 04:50 PM
If you are going to race micros the gt14b is the way to go. Just add lipo, change the pinion maybe springs and oil and off you go.
You can buy hopups but they arent really needed. Fantastic brushless system included. Youtube has some footage from the ukmicrox. The speeds are awesome.
You might find you like racing micro indoors instead of freezing your buds balls off.
Maybe some of your members wont like it, but im sure one wont be missed.:thumbsup:

I am sure he won't David :thumbsup:

captainlip
15-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Its no problem dave I'm trying some other NW tracks where so far haven't met anyone quite like the ones "trying" to run bury themselves

budfish
15-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Keep telling yourself that!

I don't have to it's what everyone else tells me!! Ha ha ha

There are plenty of other clubs in the north west:thumbsup:

wheelspin
15-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Come on guys if you all go buying micro,s whats lip going to do with all his 1/10th stock :lol:

captainlip
15-08-2011, 04:57 PM
There are plenty of other clubs in the north west:thumbsup:

Most of which your to slow for :thumbsup:

captainlip
15-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Come on guys if you all go buying micro,s whats lip going to do with all his 1/10th stock :lol:

Micro bearings? :confused::thumbsup:

wheelspin
15-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Its no problem dave I'm trying some other NW tracks where so far haven't met anyone quite ME
ammended quote

captainlip
15-08-2011, 05:03 PM
ammended quote

Tell me about it! I'm the fastest 1/10th driver in europe :thumbsup:

wheelspin
15-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Tell me about it! I'm the fastest 1/10th driver in europe :thumbsup:
That'll be those super friction free rickshaw bearings

davidmog99
15-08-2011, 05:09 PM
I think for the winter, micro would be excellent for you guys indoor.
Theres a great micro forum, ukmicrorc. Also a very competitive national series.
I think you may be surprised by the laptimes these are capable of on a 1/10 track.
If you post on the micro forum, you will get a lot of help with track design etc, ive seen fantastic tracks in even really small spaces.
You cant race outdoors all winter, the weather simply wont allow it.
Is it sundays you race at bury? If so what time? Got a b4 that ive never even raced, and it needs racing.

captainlip
15-08-2011, 05:11 PM
That'll be those super friction free rickshaw bearings

See the trick is to let them rust first, then remove half the balls so I can produce twice the amount of bearings! :thumbsup:

budfish
15-08-2011, 05:23 PM
I think for the winter, micro would be excellent for you guys indoor.
Theres a great micro forum, ukmicrorc. Also a very competitive national series.
I think you may be surprised by the laptimes these are capable of on a 1/10 track.
If you post on the micro forum, you will get a lot of help with track design etc, ive seen fantastic tracks in even really small spaces.
You cant race outdoors all winter, the weather simply wont allow it.
Is it sundays you race at bury? If so what time? Got a b4 that ive never even raced, and it needs racing.

It's on this Sunday booking in at 11.30 normally 5ish finish

Unfortunately I'll be in Spain getting some sun on my balls through my speedos!!!:thumbsup::drool::drool::thumbsup:

Buds

Si Coe
15-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Anyone who's ever driven at Cheadle will know you don't really need a lot of space to run a 1/10th car. Their whole hall (pits and race control included) is smaller than Ribble Valleys track alone. I'd say half a tennis court for the track in total.
BUT
Whilst you could use your Durango, you'd soon find on such a small track (longest straight is only 5-6m) that your fancy 6.5t motor is actually a hindrance. And its not just a case of 'I'll turn it down' or 'I'll go gently' - the reason different winds exist at all is that in these cases a milder motor just works better. As you can tell, the older hands here are talking about 20t plus (brushed - so 13.5t and upwards brushless) motors as the weapon of choice for tiny tracks. So you get a 13.5t- and spend what? £50-60 for one of the cheaper brands.
And the next week, someone will turn up with the previously mentioned GT14B or similar and run rings around you because its better suited to the track.
At Cheadle I found my Cat with an Ezrun 9t was much better than my D4 with a 5.5t Novak -but my RC18T was even quicker (when it worked!).

If you want an indoor track you can use your current car in its present configuration in it needs to be no smaller than Roundabout were using.

les
15-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Rodger been down this afternoon and he said it's big enough for the micro racing I will be able to store some stuff I am putting a foam floor down so you could run on that and put some carpet down the offer is there I get the unit in October so no rush lads

MikePimlott
15-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Unfortunately I'll be in Spain getting some sun on my balls through my speedos!!!:thumbsup::drool::drool::thumbsup:

Buds

New addition to the buds empire!

BUDS BUDGIE SMUGGLERS

Si Coe
15-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Budgie? Hummingbird at best, more like a Gnat.....

qatmix
15-08-2011, 10:02 PM
At cheadle we have started to switch to 13.5's in all outlr cars and are getting even more laps than 10.5's as we carry more consistent corner speed etc.

Boost esc's are also on no timing to keep the cars manageable. I have to admit we are having sone if the best racing I have had in 20 or so years of doing this hobby. I never thought TC's could be so much fun.