PDA

View Full Version : std velvet shocks v big bore shocks


reg
16-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Hi,iv been racing my RB5 SP2 vega on std velet shocks,iv only raced it for 3 meetings and am already 2 laps quicker than i was with my 22 and the car handles the bumps as well if not better than the cougars i race with,my question is would i notice a big difference with the big bores or is it just the in thing at the min,
thanks
mark

njc11
16-08-2011, 10:14 PM
I like them, but others dont.. but then again ive been playing with pistons.

Have a look in the Kyosho forum and you will see Nick Gurnell advertising his tapered pistons for the Big Bores.. very nicely made indeed and seem to work very well :thumbsup::thumbsup:

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77345

RogerM
17-08-2011, 06:39 AM
There are some great benefits to running the Big Bores but also the standard pistons are a bit restrictive in terms of setup range for the UK.

I am currently 'fairly' happy with the stock pistons in the front on the 4wd but really prefer 5x1.4 in the rear.
I've not done that much work with big bores on the 2wd (mainly due to working commitments meaning I had to choose just 1 class for the regionals this year) but I am now certain that the standar dbig bore pistons are have too big holes for the front of the 2wd car but are 'OK' for the rear.

I'm hoping to get my hands on some of the tappered pistons to play with very soon.

reg
17-08-2011, 09:16 PM
thanks chaps,i think i will stick with the std as we will be going back indoors soon and dont think i will gain anything,would it be worth putting the ghea pistons in on my vega,if yes what hole size and number front and rear and what spring and oil combo would be a good start,iv had nick pistons and they are lovely but dont think he does std size,