PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Top Decks & Battery Braces - **PICS ADDED** Lazer FS/FS2/FS2SP


njc11
01-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Ive had made up carbon fibre top decks just like the ones Tebo and co used at the worlds. They come in 3 pieces..and are made by a reputable company ;)

These will be ideal on slippey surfaces/indoor etc

Who would be interested? I would be looking to sell at about £40 a set.

Start a list if you interested!

If your at the F2's this weekend i will have a set with me..

Nick
:thumbsup:

kek23k
01-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Looking good! :D

Gayo
02-09-2011, 12:13 AM
:thumbsup:
Is the car much stiffer with those?

Panic
02-09-2011, 04:38 AM
I m interested for a set. Would you ship it overseas? Ie Vancouver canada?:woot:

/tobys
02-09-2011, 06:22 AM
Have you run them yet Nick? How do they affect the handling?

Interesting that you say they would be good on slippery surfaces, I would have thought they would be ideal for high grip surfaces...?

I could be interested.

shark
02-09-2011, 06:38 AM
Must agree with you there Toby , Id have thought a stiffer car would be better on high grip ?
Do look nice though.

tony12795
02-09-2011, 07:41 AM
Put me down for some Nick :thumbsup:

njc11
02-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Not had chance to test myself yet... but my findings from using the chassis stiffner..(LAW41) it worked well indoor on smooth surfaces was the reason i said what i did.. so could work well on high grip smooth.. ive yet to find out..

When i then went outside i removed LAW41 as the car was better without it, more forgiving etc..

Tebo ive noticed has kept his on... but high grip smooth is what he runs!
:thumbsup:

ryanlownie
02-09-2011, 08:06 AM
I'll take a set!

Mr. Pink
02-09-2011, 08:30 AM
I made a 3mm thick cf top-deck for my FS2 and tried it out on our bumby astro track (green hill). The main difference I noticed was that it evened out the steering feel. On high grip my original lazer tends to over steer and flip if you push hard in the corners. With the top decks the tendency to traction roll was lower. When the track was wet and slippery the car was so nice and stable. Instead of letting go front or rear first when pushing hard, it just drifted sideways.

I made my front top-deck in one piece instead of the 2-piece design from the WC. Many drivers drilled a hole straight through both pieces and fitted a screw and nut to prevent the steering to flex too much.

carlin
02-09-2011, 08:35 AM
I'm still waiting for mine lol........

Put me down Nick as always :thumbsup:

spenner
02-09-2011, 09:00 AM
The original top decks handed out at the worlds were to give more side 2 side flex not less!!
The carbon used was layered forward making the car more rigid front to back but more flex side 2 side. This is why they are designed for low traction clay surface. I have tried them on various astro tracks and can honestly say you won't be using them here. If the carbon that nick has had them made out of is cross weave then you will get a totally different effect. Plus if it was less flex your after then a one piece top deck is what you need.

RogerM
02-09-2011, 09:07 AM
The amount of grip a tire can give you is limited to how it's pressed into the surface. A stiffer car with no flex will transfer all the load (via the suspension obviously) to the tires more efficiently so it will feel more direct and like it generates more initial grip.

This explains why going to a softer spring can help in controlling grip roll (so long as you don't run out of travel and the suspension goes solid of course).

It depends on the layup of the carbon, if it is unidirectional, like those used at the worlds, it will EITHER give more side-side but less longditudinal stiffness OR vice versa. I believe that the ones used at the worlds were stiffer longditudinally to improve traction.

A stiffer car is more responsive but to the track surface as well as driver inputs, that is why some people prefer the "easier" feel of a plastic chassis to a graphite one.

I will certainly be having a set of carbon top decks to go on my FS2-SP when I get that, sadly I think it'll be next year before I run 4wd in anger again though so it's going to be a while before I can feedback.

johan neyens
02-09-2011, 09:41 AM
If you are willing to ship the items to belgium i would buy one!!

njc11
02-09-2011, 10:34 AM
I m interested for a set. Would you ship it overseas? Ie Vancouver canada?:woot:

yes i can ship for you.. postage would be a little more though.. depending how you want it sending.
:thumbsup:

njc11
02-09-2011, 10:35 AM
If you are willing to ship the items to belgium i would buy one!!

Shipping is no problem.. see above reply..

:thumbsup:

njc11
02-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Ok a list..

Please add if you want a set..

Tony Parr
Ryan Lownie
Panic (proper name??)
Rob Carlin
Johan Neyens

Gayo
02-09-2011, 11:40 AM
If it makes the car stiffer, please count me in :thumbsup:

Panic
02-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Ok a list..

Please add if you want a set..

Tony Parr
Ryan Lownie
Panic (proper name??)- George Tzanakis
Rob Carlin
Johan Neyens

Thanks:D

zippy
03-09-2011, 05:48 PM
hi njc11 i,ll be going to the f2 at silverstone on sunday.would it be possable to buy a set on sunday thanks simon :)

RogerM
04-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Those of you lucky enough to have some indoor racing this winter (no Ardent, no Moto Arena so no indoors for me now :'( ) these top decks are likely to be well worth the investment!

reg
04-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Those of you lucky enough to have some indoor racing this winter (no Ardent, no Moto Arena so no indoors for me now :'( ) these top decks are likely to be well worth the investment!

what about worksop,is that not in the middle of Moto and Ardent

shark
04-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Not from the south it isn,t mate :(

njc11
04-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Been at the F2's this weekend... so sorry for no replies... Zippy.. you should have come and said hello and i could have sorted some for you!

I will get some more made up..

Please add your names to the list..

Tony Parr
Ryan Lownie
Panic (proper name??)
Rob Carlin
Johan Neyens
Zippy

As for Worksop.. i would say yes... defo help!

:thumbsup:

carlin
05-09-2011, 07:38 AM
When can I have mine lol..........:drool:

RogerM
05-09-2011, 11:19 AM
what about worksop,is that not in the middle of Moto and Ardent

No mate, Ardent is about 1:45 / 2 hours north for me depending on traffic, Moto Arena about 1:00 / 1:15 east.

Also I hate Worksop with a passion, I personally can not think of a single positive feature to the place. I'm not saying that its not a well run series, it's popularity proves many must love it but for me I would rather set fire to my eyeballs than race there (it also takes 3 hours each way).

reg
05-09-2011, 07:54 PM
No mate, Ardent is about 1:45 / 2 hours north for me depending on traffic, Moto Arena about 1:00 / 1:15 east.

Also I hate Worksop with a passion, I personally can not think of a single positive feature to the place,but for me I would rather set fire to my eyeballs than race there

:o:thumbsup:

mdowney
05-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Add me to your list. I'll PM u my details. Thanks for doing this.

Mike Downey

carlin
08-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Nick,

When do you want the pennies sending over to you pal :thumbsup:

njc11
20-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Hello everyone..

Im expecting top decks any day now!

So will be in touch regarding payment!

Just in case ive forgotten anyone.. please get in touch with me so your not disapointed!

:thumbsup:

/tobys
21-09-2011, 06:20 AM
Have you had a run out with these Nick? What changes to handling did you notice?

chricke
26-09-2011, 11:51 AM
if you have any left for sale, I'm interested! if you are able to send to Sweden that is.. :)
send me a PM if possible! :)

njc11
26-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Just an update folks..

Hopefully end of this week they will appear :thumbsup:

The manufacturer is very busy!

I'll be in touch wheni have them for postage details etc

In the meantime anyone else who wants a set, drop me a line..

Cheers

Nick
:thumbsup:

njc11
27-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Here you some pics of the Top Decks and the new anodising ive had done!

To fit the decks and keep them flat, ive added 2mm spacers under each of the 4 screws under the deck at the rear most part of the car, so its the screw fixings near each of the 4 posts used for the battery straps.

You also have to use 2, 3x3mm grub screws in each of the holes above the front and rear bearing, supporting the spur gear/slipper assembly. In the pics they are the same holes ive used to fix the spur gear protector cover. This takes the play, up and down movement you get so will prevent spur gear damage..

New R10 fitted too.. this speedo is this business! cheers to Neil @ Kyosho for sorting for me :thumbsup:

The decks where in the machine shop today.. so will hopefully get them by the end of the week :thumbsup:

jampat2004
27-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Here you some pics of the Top Decks and the new anodising ive had done!
looks very nice nick all ready for the indoors,im miles off you must have lots of spare time,wish i had :cry:

Panic
27-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Here you some pics of the Top Decks and the new anodising ive had done!



sweet , cant wait to get mine.:D What color is the anodizing you did? Gunmetal? bronze?

njc11
27-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Jamie... not as much time as you think... ive not raced since the F2's!!

First outing for the FS in this guise is worksop on the 9th Oct!

Panic... Cheers for the comment :thumbsup: the colour from my anodising company is " Olive Brown " which is very similar if not the same as the new SP2WC and FS2SP due out next month

These cars will have the shock parts the same... if you notice ive done my shock parts black..

:thumbsup:

GRIFF55
27-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Very nice mate, looking trick!:thumbsup:

RogerM
27-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Does look the business

Gayo
27-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Woohoo :thumbsup:

olefiloux
28-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Aweeeeeesome!
Close to the perfect ride....

Ole C
30-09-2011, 07:21 AM
That is one fantastic looking car!! :thumbsup:

Edit: What battery posts are those?

j-deb
01-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Hello, I just saw at once the opportunity to order carbon top deck for FS2.
Is it possible to order now? :blush:

thank you for keep me informed via email: [email protected]

:thumbsup:

carlin
03-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Just want to say thanks Nick, fantastic Quality & built well :thumbsup:

All fitted & ready to go just need to find the time to run it now :cry:

carlin
08-10-2011, 08:53 AM
So has anyone ran there cars yet with this new top deck ?

I know this weekend is Worksop know doubt that's where some of you guys may notice the deck but just wondered if anyone ran them yet prior?

So wish was racing this weekend but one of those things moment :cry:

njc11
09-10-2011, 08:48 PM
I ran my car for the first time with them and it was ace! :thumbsup:

Had couple of good runs, car got better with every run.. rd4 needed it to be my best run to get in the B....But the pin fell out of the freshley anodised front shaft prop shaft :( gutted.. qual C6 finshed 3rd or 4th i think.

Set up has changed quite a bit from where i ended up with using just the LAW chassis stiffner at the last round of worksop at the beginning of the year..

:thumbsup:

njc11
05-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Here we go... Matt Carbon Fibre Battery Braces

Compliment the top decks perfectly..

I will have both top decks and braces with me at Worksop tomorrow 6/11/11

More products to follow from

Carbon Black RC

:thumbsup:

carlin
05-11-2011, 12:57 PM
So you did get some done in the end lol :thumbsup:

Keep set for me treacle see you tomorrow

brooksy
05-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Hi Nick,how much are the parts now with the battery braces aswell?



Cheers,Phill:thumbsup:

shortcoursegoat
05-11-2011, 09:00 PM
looks great m8 your car is stunning

/tobys
12-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Top decks fitted to mine :thumbsup:

traffman
14-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Very nice , hows the weather back home?

/tobys
15-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Ran the Carbon Black RC top decks this past weekend - AWESOME!! A great addition to an already fantastic car :thumbsup:

werner1619
16-11-2011, 03:35 PM
do these carbon parts stiffen or give more chassis flex?
W.

/tobys
16-11-2011, 03:52 PM
they stiffen the car

Neil Skull
17-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Blingtastic

NitroArgi
17-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Hello Nick!

I really like this parts...I have a question thought

I was checking your car and in this picture I see in the rear arms that in the rear side you have some spacers screwed. Why is that? Any performance gains?

http://www.oople.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28121&d=1317158428

RogerM
17-11-2011, 05:15 PM
The spacers help transfer the load through the arm evenly in the event of an impact thus lessening the chance of braking the arm across the thinner webs in that area.

Since doing this I've not damaged an arm even in the biggest accident.

Gayo
17-11-2011, 05:27 PM
I believe it makes the arm a little stiffer too.

RogerM
18-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Good point Gayo, I am sure it does.

450kid
20-11-2011, 10:34 PM
after first using my car this weekend it felt a bit numb had a word with nic fitted top deck changed front camber link and the difference was night and day better!:thumbsup:
The car was more positive and a lot quicker to respond also felt to give me a lot better feed back not vauge like before.

just to work on my set up a bit more thanks again nic for pointing me in the right direction.

NitroArgi
22-11-2011, 02:28 PM
And which is the right direction setup wise with the carbon upper decks?

450kid
22-11-2011, 07:12 PM
what surface u racing on?

NitroArgi
22-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Mostly dirt but we also have two indoor tracks, one with low traction concrete and one with carpet..

Honeybadger
24-11-2011, 04:18 PM
http://www.oople.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28121&d=1317158428

Nick, can you supply us SP users with sexy Olive anodised rear hubs and 3 racing shock mounts at all?

brooksy
28-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Tried the carbon top decks off Nick yesterday at worksop after the first two rounds,made the back end come in line better and made the car a lot more drivable for me. Definate improvement on the handling. Can't wait to run it again now:thumbsup:

Honeybadger
29-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Tried the carbon top decks off Nick yesterday at worksop after the first two rounds,made the back end come in line better and made the car a lot more drivable for me. Definate improvement on the handling. Can't wait to run it again now:thumbsup:

Yup, another big thumbs up for Nick's top decks. Ran my FS2 at the West Coast Scottish Open and it was fantastic. :thumbsup:

njc11
29-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Cheers for the feed back folks :thumbsup:

Should have some more in stock to sell by the end of the week... sold 4 sets at Worksop on Sunday..

I have battery braces available if anyone is interested :)

As for anodising.. yes i can get it done no problem..

Best thing, as i did, is do a job lot.. i even had the 1mm, 2mm, 3mm spacers and they came out really well. Also had the shock cartridges done and these were fine also and these have a very fine thread..

Turn round on getting the anodising done would be about a week.

Cheers

Nick
:thumbsup:

snowmiu19
02-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Please PM me the price for the set of the upper deck. i left u a PM too

Thanks

Regards
calvin

brooksy
02-12-2011, 12:41 PM
The top decks are 40 pounds. If you purchase the battery straps aswell I think its about 57 pounds. Can't say how much postage will be if you live outside the uk.:thumbsup:

adam_u
08-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Got my decks and straps through the post today, I have to say the quality is superb, love the matt finish to it - really tasty! They went on with no problems at all and I'm looking forward to seeing the difference they make this weekend on the carpet. What's the camber link change you ran with them then?

cheers Nick :)

ad.

RogerM
09-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Adam mate, leave the car as is for practice then we will work out what to do from there.

Show the nice boys & girls a picture Adam, don't be shy.


Mine arrived too but sadly it will be a few weeks before I get my new car to bolt them yoo :(

adam_u
09-12-2011, 01:28 PM
There's still love for Kyosho blue out there ;)

RogerM
09-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Adam,

thanks for posting that up ... reminds me that I will have to change my ESC connection routing in order to be able to use this top deck!
Best start working out how I'm going to do that!!!

njc11
09-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Looking good there Adam :thumbsup:

Get the Lazer ready for Sunday Roger.. you know you want too!!

I have 3 sets of decks left out of my latest batch.. so anyone who is interested...dont delay

:thumbsup: