PDA

View Full Version : Transponders


The Bod
09-09-2011, 12:25 PM
I know it has probably been asked before, but where is the best place to get a PT from and what type? Have some spare cash in my back pocket and a PT would take away some hassle when I start racing again :p

Stotty
09-09-2011, 01:35 PM
I would also like to know this need to get my own keepy forgetting put the clubs back and it costing me loads to take it to rodgers hahahaha

coleman758
09-09-2011, 01:38 PM
The MRT has bee fine for me. They are a little cheaper than the AMB ones.
i paid £40 for mine. But they are only about £47 new.

Si Coe
09-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Even cheaper if you get the uncased version I run, though you need to be careful in the rain.

Mind you, it does seem the MRT's have a slightly weaker signal than the AMB ones, so if our loop starts being silly, the MRT's are first to have miscounts.
Thats not a transponder fault so much as a loop issue though - when everything is working properly you can't tell the difference.

coleman758
09-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Even cheaper if you get the uncased version I run, though you need to be careful in the rain.

Mind you, it does seem the MRT's have a slightly weaker signal than the AMB ones, so if our loop starts being silly, the MRT's are first to have miscounts.
Thats not a transponder fault so much as a loop issue though - when everything is working properly you can't tell the difference.

The MRT one is smaller too.

budfish
09-09-2011, 03:04 PM
My laps is bbk software google it there is no such thing as amb no more it changed it's name to my laps

You turds

JonyNitro
09-09-2011, 03:06 PM
MYLAPS AKA Harry/ you turds put your hand in your pocket

coleman758
09-09-2011, 03:15 PM
You can still buy 2nd hand AMB ones....

mattb
09-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Just buy the cheapest one graham they all do the same job,i got my amb one of ebay from hongkong mate.

Si Coe
09-09-2011, 06:48 PM
You can still buy first hand AMB ones from some places! The newer 'Harrys' are Mylaps, but the older ones are AMB's regardless of what the company is called! BBK even still refer to the timing equipment as AMBrc even if its now sold by Mylaps.....

'Harrys' do have one simple but very useful advantage over MRT's - the transponder number is printed on the case. With MRT's that vital number is on an easily lost piece of paper.


One thing I would add - don't bother looking at 2nd hand ones on ebay. Sometimes they come up on Oople at good prices, but all the ones I've seen on ebay go for virtually the same as you can get a new one!

mattb
09-09-2011, 07:01 PM
I think i paid £50 for mine brand new,the thing which minght be usefull on the mylaps ones is that they come with that clip so you can use the same one on 2 cars without haveing to stick it down.

Si Coe
09-09-2011, 07:29 PM
I just stick mine down with velcro. Whilst velcro isn't that great for esc's which are quite heavy and have big thick wires, for something as small and light as a pt its plenty.

The Bod
09-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks for all the advice, but which website is the best place to buy? BBKsoftware.com has the Harrys RC4 for £77 each. Team-mrt.com are £49.50 http://www.team-mrt.com/mrtwebshop/r9980-16174-0.html

I am guessing the Team MRT at £49.50 is the obvious choice and would work well everywhere?

Si Coe
09-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Its 100% compatible with all existing AMBrc type timing gear (ie the same type the Harry and older AMB's are).

I've used mine loads of places with no problems - barring the previously mentioned loop based issues that also affected house transponders and AMB/Mylaps PT's too.

Pitman Ed
10-09-2011, 08:34 AM
I got two mrt units for Luke and Josh. Luke's failed after 6 months. MRT replaced it without fuss. For the price difference they are good value. But I've personally not known of an AMB Harry failing. Whichever you choose you'll be ok.

Eddie

Howler
10-09-2011, 05:44 PM
I bought the MRT one new a few weeks ago, it's been fine, and i've got a really thick aluminium chassis compared to buggies.

Cr3Ad
10-09-2011, 07:27 PM
its not really aluminium that weekens the signal of any transponder, its carbonfiber chassis that lessen the signal of a transponder

MikePimlott
10-09-2011, 08:08 PM
The only thing with MRT ones is that a few have been sold with AMB/BBK/harry PT numbers or made as a clone then sold on. If you go to a meeting and clash you have to mess about and change your number for a free one (in the 10 number memory)

Si Coe
10-09-2011, 10:02 PM
True, but I've never actually heard of anyone have to do it.

BBK will warn you if two drivers have the same p/t number, but still lets you do it as long as they aren't in the same heat.
So as long as you don't buy a 2nd hand p/t off someone who races locally you will be fine!

Alloy chassis do seem to be the issue, but not regular ones. Both Coleman and I experienced problems with tub style alloy chassis (my RC10, his RB5 mid motor) where we had mounted the transponder inside the tub. Mounting it on top of the servo ie outside of the tub seems to solve that. I suspect a carbon tub could be a similar issue though.

coleman758
10-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Yea i have lifted mine up over the top edge of the chassis, the signal is way better. last week was the first time i had a problem with mine.

steve-thebabystore
11-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Just bought 2 MRT's to save messing so if any problems will put it on here though everyones feedback seems great so far.