PDA

View Full Version : New Losi?


SHY
19-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Does anyone know if Losi is going to make a new 4WD? And maybe even a new 2WD?

I mean, Losi and AE have been so extremely competitive and innovative for so long... and now there are all these "new" brands showing off their new cars. And AE finally made that 4WD...

On top of that the XX4 is now officially discontinued (parts still available). And everybody knows the XXX4 is no good on bumpy tracks.

Team Losi made the brilliant Eight. The Muggy. The Truggy. The Mini-T, Micro-T... they don't seem out of ideas!

Could it be more obvious that Team Losi is working on a new 4WD??? :confused:

bbq
19-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Dont think they are!
But you never know?

I think they are waiting for what the LiPo market and trend will look like
befor they put a nother electric car in the making.

SHY
19-02-2008, 01:42 PM
LiPo - very good point!!!

ashleyb4
19-02-2008, 01:46 PM
There is not enough money money in 1.10th off road it was gill losi that kept the 1/10th alive with losi but now he's gone horrizon have no history so all they want is money money money

A

SHY
19-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Yes, but they've still got Jukka right? He's the designer of the 8ight as far as I know. And he know's what he's doing! He should have the necessary experience from 1:10 OR.

I think we'll se a good increase for 1:10 OR in the years to come! It's always been big in the US and UK. Now it's time for the rest of us to tag along! It was enormous in the 80s here in Norway, with over 100 participants pr. class. I don't think that will be possible again, but 30-40 participants in stead of 10-20 should be no prob!

With the low production costs in China it's for Losi merely a matter of doing some design and testing IMHO...

The LiPo argument is very strong though. That will for sure change the design of the cars!

millzy
19-02-2008, 02:06 PM
i thought Jukka stoped working for them ages ago>?

Northy
19-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Jukka did design the 8ight, but all he really did was scale up the XX4 that he loved so much and added shaft drive.

I have heard that the car that is being reccomended to the team for racing this year is the XXX4, that should be interesting :eh?:

G

millzy
19-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Jukka did design the 8ight, but all he really did was scale up the XX4 that he loved so much and added shaft drive.

I have heard that the car that is being reccomended to the team for racing this year is the XXX4, that should be interesting :eh?:

G


oh ok my bad on that one.

one of the us drivers allways runs the xxx4 never remember his name

Northy
19-02-2008, 02:19 PM
I don't know if he's still there or not, but he did design the 8ight.

G

SHY
19-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Really? Where's he at then my good sir knight?

I heard from a guy that's a very experienced 1:10 OR racer, a lifelong Losi-fan, AND a Losi dealer that Steenari is the man behind that 8ight. He added "very few people know that"...

It was very interesting btw. to find out that japanese Akira Kogawa is the man behind both the legendary Kyosh Scorpion AND the HPI Baja 5B :woot:

millzy
19-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Mike Truhe is the guy i was thinknig of

also look they do have team drivers
http://www.losi.com/RaceCenter/TeamBios.aspx

ashleyb4
19-02-2008, 02:40 PM
i hope this isnt the end it would be a shame as we have seen so many good cars from losi and in my rc liftime ive only seen 2 i wish i had been born 10 years earlier so i could see all the old cars.:thumbsup::wub If they do bring a new one out what ever it is the should be ace.

A

GRIFF55
19-02-2008, 02:43 PM
They should do a jrx2 remake:thumbsup: Those trailing arms were amazing:thumbsup:

Nick Goodall
19-02-2008, 03:02 PM
I loved my XX-CR Kinwald edition, it was the first Kit i remember coming with allllll the nice funky Blue bits - even the springs were all blue, it was such a cool car :thumbsup:

Gayo
19-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Jukka did design the 8ight, but all he really did was scale up the XX4 that he loved so much and added shaft drive.


A shaft-driven XX-4 would be good for sure !
They could use the offset diff ring gear design (as in the rear of the 8ight) to do something different and narrow :woot:

I read recently on RC Car Action that Yukka is indeed the man behind the 8ight, the Mini T Oval and other stuff.

burgie
19-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Mike Truhe is the guy i was thinknig of

also look they do have team drivers
http://www.losi.com/RaceCenter/TeamBios.aspx

Is Richard Taylor not a losi driver anymore? I didn't see him on the list...

Chris Doughty
19-02-2008, 04:01 PM
I think Tricky is still on the Losi car.

I think that driver list is america drivers + darren

ashleyb4
19-02-2008, 05:47 PM
yea i think tricky is a horrizon uk driver and bloomers is a losi driver its a shame really as tricky is one of the best and he should be on the losi list.

A

SHY
20-02-2008, 08:12 AM
Northy, I think Jukka deserves a lot of credit for the 8ight. It might have a lot of elements from the XX4, but nonetheless it's a ground breaking new 1:8 OR car! It has those displaced shaft gears, large volum shocks, it's very light etc.

It's the first ever 1:8 OR car I've ever wanted to try! It just looks so right! :wub

I think he has a car engineer education. I believe he always dreamed about working for Losi. He's one hell of a driver. And a god when it comes to finding a good setup. I'm confident he has all the ability needed to make a WC winning 1:10 OR car!

Northy
20-02-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm not saying it's not a great design, it is awesome, hence why I'm racing one at the Neo ;)

It does have some very good new ideas on it, but you can't say it was 100% clean sheet design.

However, the fact that the new Xray looks more than similar shows how good the design is :thumbsup:

G

SHY
20-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Good lad! :D

As to suspension geometry I guess he and Losi already did so much testing that they knew it simply worked best. And if I'm not very wrong a lot of manufacturers have copied both Losi and AE there...