PDA

View Full Version : X6 Sq gearing help please!


DrPaul
07-01-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm new to the X6 Sq and I want to run a 10.5 so its manageable to start off with. If I'm using the 78T spur what pinion size should I be using as a starting point?

ian h
07-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Start at 27

DrPaul
07-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Many thanks :)

Start at 27

NeilRalph77
07-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Start at 27


Really??? Surely it's dependant on surface, track layout, motor type etc, I generally run 22T occasionally upto 26T but it all depends. I'd look for recomended ratio for your specific motor first.

Timee80
07-01-2012, 11:24 PM
i use a 29t on my speed passion if i dont use boost (on a big track anyway) so 27t sounds about right to me to start with

ian h
07-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Really??? Surely it's dependant on surface, track layout, motor type etc, I generally run 22T occasionally upto 26T but it all depends. I'd look for recomended ratio for your specific motor first.

I never used to run less than 27 for a 10.5. That was using Novak, speed passion or LRP. This was high grip, carpet and astro.

DrPaul
08-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

I presume the box ratio is the same as the B4. Started testing today with a 27t pinion and its was a good starting point giving me a ratio of 7.5. I then went up to a 31t which was fine at about 6.5 and down to a 24t which would give me about 8.5. The 10.5 motor was more than fast enough and with that pinion range it gives me plenty to gear up or down depending on the surface.
Really looking forward to racing the X6sq in the summer :)

ian h
08-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

I presume the box ratio is the same as the B4. Started testing today with a 27t pinion and its was a good starting point giving me a ratio of 7.5. I then went up to a 31t which was fine at about 6.5 and down to a 24t which would give me about 8.5. The 10.5 motor was more than fast enough and with that pinion range it gives me plenty to gear up or down depending on the surface.
Really looking forward to racing the X6sq in the summer :)

Also remember that gearing alters weight balance as the motor moves forwards or backwards. ie smaller gears moves motor back which will shift weight balance rearwards. I used to run 78 spur most of the time but sometimes 76/75 and drop 1 on the pinion to keep ratios the same.

mart3pop
09-01-2012, 10:48 PM
i also use 29/78 with a 10.5 on high grip, 10.5 motors love big pinions !

Timee80
09-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Also remember that gearing alters weight balance as the motor moves forwards or backwards. ie smaller gears moves motor back which will shift weight balance rearwards. I used to run 78 spur most of the time but sometimes 76/75 and drop 1 on the pinion to keep ratios the same.

Agree. keep to a smaller spur when using slower motors to reduce the pendulum effect of having the motor hanging out back. Ive just tried a 75t spur and 26t pinion on mine and it was ballistic. Helped along with 20 degree of boost and 10degree of turbo added in. This really helped to keep weight forward and give me the speed it needed.
It was actually much faster in my b4 than when i ran my 8.5t x12 in the x2c earlier in the day:thumbsup:
i love that i can just drop the boost levels and leave the rest of the gearing alone for smaller tracks. Very driveable:)

Timee80
09-01-2012, 11:21 PM
does anybody make a 60t spur gear:woot:

YoungChazz
10-01-2012, 02:27 AM
Too small. Slipper pads & plate won't fit. 70 is about the smallest where the plate & pads will fit under the underside of the gear teeth. D.M.S. makes a great one.

dale
10-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Agree. keep to a smaller spur when using slower motors to reduce the pendulum effect of having the motor hanging out back. Ive just tried a 75t spur and 26t pinion on mine and it was ballistic. Helped along with 20 degree of boost and 10degree of turbo added in. This really helped to keep weight forward and give me the speed it needed.
It was actually much faster in my b4 than when i ran my 8.5t x12 in the x2c earlier in the day:thumbsup:
i love that i can just drop the boost levels and leave the rest of the gearing alone for smaller tracks. Very driveable:)

Thats the wrong way round. The X6 is mid motored so a small spur will move the motor backwards, not forwards. Are you talking about the B4?

Timee80
10-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Sorry, yes it was a b4