PDA

View Full Version : Losi or Associated shocks


arransmith27
10-01-2012, 09:17 PM
What's the difference between using Losi or Associated shocks on the X6?

A few years back, pretty much everyone was using the Losi shocks, however more racers now appear to be using the Associated shocks.

I have both the Losi and Associated shocks (V1), so just looking for a bit of info in this area please :)

colmo
10-01-2012, 10:53 PM
My guess is those are Associated v2 shocks you're seeing, shipped with the B4.1 and the latest X6 kits. They're an improvement over the v1s - Richard Lowe reckons the v2s behave softer than the v1s to the equivalent of 5wt oil difference.

dancoog
11-01-2012, 12:19 AM
While racing in the UK I ran Losi shocks on my X6 and continued to do so when I relocated to Canada. When the X6 squared kit was put together with V2 shocks I moved to them and was pleasantly suprised. The Silver Associated springs seem to make the car jump really well even though the Pink Losi springs are very similar in tension. Recently I've moved over to running the Losi Big Bore springs on my V2 Associated shocks. A very simple conversion completed with the aid of some RPM spring retaining clips and Losi BB shock bottoms. After one day of testing.. I love it. less rubbing on the shock bodies and great feel overall.

GML
12-01-2012, 06:49 AM
The Losi shocks were popular. Now, it will be easier to find Associated ones.

arransmith27
12-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the responses guys :thumbsup:

Will stick with the losi shocks for now

mattybucks
12-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Use what you know!!! Ellis used Losi because he knew exactly how to set them up.

The_doctor
12-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Ive run both V2 and Losi and i find the Losi to be the best still!!!!!
they just hold their pack better and r easier to build Ohh and the springs r better too,the latest batch of V2 springs rub on the shock body!!!!
Even try ed Big bores and found that the original Losi shocks the best!!!!!! :thumbsup:
Associated pistons fit in losi shocks and as do losi pistons in V2's so if you need 3 hole pistons or 2 hole u can try more setups.

in my X6 ive been running 56 30w front orange springs and on the rear 30w ASS no 1's with yellow springs and find this works at all tracks so far ive been on.....
i run on hard packed dirt and clay tracks with carpeted jumps!!!!:woot:

try running different pistons its a small change but it can be a winning one!!!!:D

martgifford
12-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Losi's are better IMO.

They feel better, bigger, smoother. I was considering putting them on my B4

martgifford
12-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Use what you know!!! Ellis used Losi because he knew exactly how to set them up.


+1 Very good point. If you prefer associated, have more of the springs to adjust them, more spares, more pistons - then use them.

But I personally prefer Losi ones. Each to their own

colmo
13-01-2012, 02:55 AM
I just ran Tamiya shocks with AE springs tonight, as the Losi shocks sorely needed a rebuild and I was out of o-rings.

Once I nailed down a setup, they were as good as the Losi ones were last week (on polished wood with no jumps :( )...until the rear tyres went off 1-2 minutes into the run and the car wanted to point the wrong way all the time :(

The differences between Losi, AE v2 and and Tamiyas are too small to worry about for the average club racer. They're all good.

Big E
13-01-2012, 07:21 AM
I'm running AE V2's now and they are going fine and I'm getting them better all the time.

Chippy96
13-01-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm running AE V2's now and they are going fine and I'm getting them better all the time.
Ellis youve done it now,everyone will be after V2`s!!!Before coming to R/C racing i spent 20 years racing full size bikes and cars,and,not wishing bad on anyone,there are always trends.If Bill Jenkins done well with some weird make of tyres then several people will be out shopping the next day.As is mentioned earlier,go with what you know,if your in trouble then is the best time to try something else,a change may help,but if your chosen machine/set up is working then stick to that.Just look at all the "new"mid motor buggies at the moment,if you look at one of the threads you will see that people have built their cars with the same shocks and springs as they had on their old cars,so there cant be much of,if any,improvement on what they already had.If you need a new machine OK-fair enough,personally I believe the X6sq is still one of the best to have (with whatever shocks you like).The AE shocks I have,have the bleeder caps fitted,i`m not sure if the V2`s come with these but if not I would recommend adding these the next time you order some parts,they make rebuilding your shocks a lot easier.Anyway Happy New Year to you All and happy X6ing in 2012:thumbsup:

dancoog
14-01-2012, 03:33 AM
The discussions over here are even turning to the o-rings and spacers used in the V2 shocks. i'm going to try out the associated orings with the white spacer from the V1 rebuild rather than the black spacer that comes with the V2s. racers have been having good results with that little change.

arransmith27
14-01-2012, 08:10 AM
The discussions over here are even turning to the o-rings and spacers used in the V2 shocks. i'm going to try out the associated orings with the white spacer from the V1 rebuild rather than the black spacer that comes with the V2s. racers have been having good results with that little change.

Would that change make v2 shocks feel like v1 shocks ?

SimonW
14-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Kinwald used Kyosho shocks as these are way better than AE and Losi.

ianjoyner
14-01-2012, 09:26 AM
My X6 came with a set of Losi shocks, I changed to AE simply because I had a full spring set.

I'm wondering whether I'll ever use the most of the set though, seems we could do with some springs stiffer than the AE range.

Woulves Baine
15-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Kinwald used Kyosho shocks as these are way better than AE and Losi.

^^ This.

Most people run Losi and Associated buggies at the track I visit yet almost all agree that Kyosho's shocks are best. The complaints about the RB 5 (and why it is not as popular as a complete kit) are the cost of the kit and replacement parts.