View Full Version : Pinions for a B44 - Which brands can I use?
AC199
05-03-2012, 12:32 PM
I'm looking to change the gearing on my B44, and am looking for a couple of new pinions, but am very confused as to what brands I can use on the car.
I cant seem to find any Associated ones, so am being left a little stumped, was hoping for some help from you guys.
I pretty much always buy from MB Models or DMS, if that helps in anyways...
Thanks for any help
AC
MiCk B.
05-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Hi,
Any of the normal size (ie not long boss) 48dp pinions will fit the B44.
MiCk B. :-)
Burty248
05-03-2012, 04:01 PM
is that the same for the b4.1?
I'm sort of in the same situation.
Yep, all the Team Associated electric 1/10th cars take the same sort of pinion.
As stated that's 48dp. Any decent shop will be able to help with that.
mpg200
05-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Chris,
Pete has pinions, he stocks RW pinions. What are you looking to change it to?
As a guide at york: I run a 10.5T with an 84T spur and 22T pinion.
Somewhere bigger i run 8.5T 84T spur and 23T pinion. I did run that at york but found it wouldn't get to full speed on the straight, so I should've knocked it down a couple of teeth on the pinion. But I couldn't be bothered :D.
AC199
05-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Trying to get the overall ratio down to about 6-6.5ish. Currently I'm running 7.5 final with 81 spur and a 27 pinion, but I'm spinning the wheels a little, and locking up a lot on braking, plus I'm gonna be running 4wd mod this weekend with my 17.5 for giggles and thus will need to be a little faster.
I've been advised to go to 72 spur and 27 pinion which will give me a final drive of 6.67, but I cant find a 72 spur anywhere, so am going to a 75 spur and a 29/30 pinion...
I've managed to source them from MB, will go and pick them up later on this week.
Now all I have to do is work out how to change my spur, back to the manual we go...
mpg200
05-03-2012, 08:22 PM
6.67 sounds overall I think is going to be over geared and will cook your motor. My recommendation is 81T spur and a 26/27T pinion giving around 8ish overall. My lad last season ran a D4 with a 20T motor 80T spur and 24/25T pinion. Overall ratio was about 8.
Remember Yoda's advice...."over gear if you must, toast your motor will be. Hmmm"
AC199
05-03-2012, 10:30 PM
The motor is setup with a thermal cutoff, and the manual for the motor says to not exceed an overall ratio of 6, so am keeping a little leeway between my choice and the overall.
We'll see what happens, if it gets too hot, it'll just thermal off anyways... hopefully...
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.