View Full Version : carbon v plastic wishbones
estebandonde
08-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Hi all, sorry if this has been said before but i have looked through and cant find it
Can someone explain the differences between the carbon and plastic wishbones and will i notice the difference?
Also what are the part no's for the non standard ones?
I'm guessing carbon has more flex and that carbon ones are fitted to FT versions of the B4 and B44
cheers guys
flipside
08-03-2012, 08:52 AM
No, carbon have LESS flex. They are very stiff in fact... I usually use carbon version as the latest associated plastic is very soft, and these already have some play when they are brand new.
In fact I like the 'old' plastic ones best, but I don't think you can still order them.
Jay Smith
08-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Hi There,
I was just thinking the same question, as I only realised on Tuesday I have no spare rear ones either.
Apparently, the composite ones are more rigid, improving handling, but are more brittle so are more likely to break.
I've gone for the standard plastic ones as I don't think I'll notice the difference.
(Charlie might though, as he's considerably quicker than me !!!)
Part numbers are:
Plastic: AS9582
Composite: AS9583
MiCk B.
08-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Hi,
For the AE rear arms
Softest arm to hardest are:
B4.1 plastic arms #9582
B44 arms #9764
B4 Carbon arms #9583
MiCk B. :-)
Jay Smith
08-03-2012, 11:03 AM
I think my original Factory Team 4.1 came with plastic wishbones (A-Arms) and shock towers. The only bit that was carbon composite was the chassis. Is this right? :eh?:
Do people change there wishbones and hubs when everything gets a bit loose and wobbly up front or do people add washers to shim it up a bit?....
Having free-play in the steering must make a difference? :)
Lee1972
08-03-2012, 10:12 PM
I think my original Factory Team 4.1 came with plastic wishbones (A-Arms) and shock towers. The only bit that was carbon composite was the chassis. Is this right? :eh?:
Do people change there wishbones and hubs when everything gets a bit loose and wobbly up front or do people add washers to shim it up a bit?....
Having free-play in the steering must make a difference? :)
The 4.1 Factory Team kit comes with plastic through out as standard, am interested to know the answer to the play bit as my B4 FT has that problem with the front end however it isn't a problem now as I've bought a new 4.1 FT kit :thumbsup:
Jamie B4
09-03-2012, 12:34 PM
As already stated carbon = less flex makes the car easier to drive depending on your driving level.
Remember also that depending on what car they are going on the carbon may have the anti roll bar on the wrong side and therefore may need to have an additional ball end inserted which is very testing to say the least. Did this on my B44.1
J
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.