View Full Version : Losi XXX Kinwald Edition Rebuild
losimad
17-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Hi all,
I've recently been rebuilding an xxx kinwald edition that I found cheap on ebay. Just thought I would share the pics if anyone is interested. Maybe someone out there can help me source a few bits. (Blue Front bumper, Phobia body?)
So far I have completely stripped the car down and cleaned all the parts. The gearbox was in a bit of a state, and lots of rusty screws. The rear outdrives and dogbones are pretty worn out.
Here's how it was when I got it... Will update pics as I go.
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/7815977/1024/Anonymous/IMG-0705.jpg
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/7816008/1024/Anonymous/IMG-0704.jpg
The gearbox was a bit of a mess!
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/7816133/1024/Anonymous/photo.jpg
losimad
17-03-2012, 02:26 PM
And here is the car almost completely stripped down and cleaned.
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/7816172/1024/Anonymous/IMG-0719.jpg
I have found a new graphite battery strap, some brand new kinwald wheels and new tyres, trinity blue motor plate (not sure whether to use the original or not) and also have lots of new in bag losi parts ready to be fitted. New graphite arms, diff balls, e-clips, screws etc. I've fitted the original kit springs.
More to follow soon...
Andyp
17-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Good job, I love doing stuff like this, just never get round to taking pics.
losimad
17-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Thanks Andy.
Here's the gearbox all cleaned, bearings replaced/cleaned as required.
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/7819717/1024/Anonymous/IMG-0720.jpg
All nice and smooth now...
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/7819670/1024/Anonymous/IMG-0722.jpg
Just need to find some decent outdrives and cvd's now.
lcpvcce
26-03-2012, 01:19 AM
Hope can see the complete soon .
losimad
05-04-2012, 12:48 PM
There's been a slight delay with this project due to sourcing the new parts I needed. The diff, outdrives and dogbones were all very worn.
The good news is I found a job lot of new in pack losi xxx spares on ebay which included practically every thing I needed, so I can really get stuck in now and finish it off!
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/7961725/1024/Anonymous/IMG-0724.jpg
I've got new outdrives, cvds, all new diff parts going in, carbide diff balls, thrust bearing / screw set, shock rebuild kits and lots of other goodies. It should be a nice buggy when it's done.
I've just received a new in pack phobia rear wing from america, and also found a half decent phobia body which will have to do until I can find a new one (if I ever do!).
losimad
07-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Here's all the new diff parts ready to be assembled. All gearbox moving parts have now been replaced with brand new parts, every single bearing, gear, screw and washer, new kevlar spur and slipper pads, new thrust bearing and harware parts etc.
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/7976200/1024/Anonymous/IMG-0725.jpg
Now super smooth like new! New outdrives also fitted.
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/7976354/1024/Anonymous/IMG-0726.jpg
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/7976359/1024/Anonymous/IMG-0728.jpg
losimad
07-04-2012, 11:36 AM
New rear pivot plate as the current one wasn't up to my standards (shame not in graphite, but it will be fine)...
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/7976477/1024/Anonymous/IMG-0729.jpg
Pivot block cleaned and assembled...
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/7976503/1024/Anonymous/IMG-0730.jpg
New graphite rear arms fitted...
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/7976509/1024/Anonymous/IMG-0731.jpg
Gearbox fitted onto pivot plate...
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/7976526/1024/Anonymous/IMG-0732.jpg
MHeadling
07-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Good rebuild! Keep the pics coming!
qwerty
08-04-2012, 08:19 PM
That looks like fun to do,
It's still for sale at losi i see http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSA0029
losimad
15-04-2012, 01:42 PM
That looks like fun to do,
It's still for sale at losi i see http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSA0029
Hi Qwerty, I'm 99% sure this kit has long been discontinued (Losi don't seem to update their information about old kits!). The XXX BK2 was released after this one, and the XXXCR after that. With the release of the Losi 22 last year I think even the CR has now been discontinued too, although I am sure I read on here somewhere that DMS racing bought the last batch from Losi? (Might have to grab one soon).
losimad
05-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Finally got all the parts to finish the buggy!
I found a brand new set of CVDs to replace the really worn out XXXcr dogbones but it turned out that they were GENII (Losi XXX BK2) and are a little bit shorter!
So that held me up, but I was lucky to find a rear end of a CR for 99p on ebay which just happened to have the correct original Kinwald CVDs fitted in fairly good condition.
Here's the old CR ones that had loads of play in them, and some very worn out rear hub bearings...
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195411/1024/Anonymous/117.jpg
And here is the correct XXX / Kinwald CVDs with BK2 CVDs below...
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195494/1024/Anonymous/170.jpg
Some nice new bearings for the rear hubs, new 'foam things' and cleaned up spacers...
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195527/1024/Anonymous/126.jpg
Lots more to follow tonight!
losimad
05-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Rear hubs fitted onto wishbones, and shock tower also fitted...
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195559/1024/Anonymous/127.jpg
Here's all the graphite parts replaced / cleaned...
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195566/1024/Anonymous/136.jpg
And here is the gearbox assembly / rear end fitted to the chassis... coming along nicely. (The bright flash has highlighted a few rusty screws which I will take care of at some point)...
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195667/1024/Anonymous/137.jpg
losimad
05-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Started on the front end...
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195675/1024/Anonymous/148.jpg
Replaced all hinge pins with Titanium Nitride, replaced hub bearings and stub axles, unfortunately only in silver (the blue ones were rounded off and worn).
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195736/1024/Anonymous/149.jpg
Steering rack fitted...
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195748/1024/Anonymous/154.jpg
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195759/1024/Anonymous/155.jpg
Front end assembled and ready to fit to chassis...
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195771/1024/Anonymous/156.jpg
losimad
05-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Front end fitted to chassis, shock tower ready to go on... it's really starting to look like a buggy again now!
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195781/1024/Anonymous/158.jpg
Servo ready to be mounted...
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195785/1024/Anonymous/159.jpg
Servo mounted, shock tower fitted and battery strap...
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195793/1024/Anonymous/161.jpg
I've fitted some new turnbuckles but have yet to replace the ball cups with the Kinwald blue ones. I may upgrade to super duty ball cups yet as the blue ones are not all matching. Must replace those last few rusty screws...
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195806/1024/Anonymous/163.jpg
losimad
05-05-2012, 10:55 PM
And now to sort the shocks out. I've done away with the non-matching front silver shock bodies that were on the car and replaced with the bronze coloured. Not sure what colour came with the car, seen a lot of Kinwald editions with silver shocks, yet on Losi's site they look like the bronzy ones.
Also replaced the plastic shock adjusters with some later losi aluminium ones. Replaced springs with original kit springs.
I keep trying to find some good hi-res pics of an original kinwald edition built to the box art, but none seem to exist! If anyone knows of one, please let me know. :)
So here I have started rebuilding the shocks... one kept leaking so I have inspected it closer...
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195822/1024/Anonymous/164.jpg
And a circlip had sprung off and jammed into the shock cartridge...
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195886/1024/Anonymous/165.jpg
Here's the shocks cleaned up and ready to fill with oil and reassemble.
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195896/1024/Anonymous/167.jpg
And all ready to be fitted...
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195910/1024/Anonymous/168.jpg
losimad
05-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Here's the shocks fitted, rear dogbone/cvds fitted, wing mounts and rear turnbuckles... not long now!
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195966/1024/Anonymous/171.jpg
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195977/1024/Anonymous/172.jpg
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195979/1024/Anonymous/174.jpg
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195980/1024/Anonymous/175.jpg
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/8195981/1024/Anonymous/176.jpg
losimad
25-06-2012, 11:01 PM
After months of looking for a brand new phobia body, I became impatient and decided to use my spare bk2 body (which is in very good condition).
I fitted a new cr gearbox cover as the original clear ones are a bit flimsy and not all that great at keeping the dirt out. I also reverted back to the original kinwald blue motor plate. The trinity one looked nicer but had those grooves and didn't really seal very well, also letting dirt in.
Here's a pic after its first run since the rebuild! It runs as smooth as silk, super quiet gearbox compared to how it was. Lots of fun over a local gravel/dirt car park!
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/8579032/1024/Anonymous/2012-05-12-18.23.00.jpg
and with the phobia body
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/8606824/1024/Anonymous/photo-%281%29.jpg
34x17
14-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Great job on the rebuild? Have you tried any club racing?
vrooom
14-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Great pictures. that must give you lot of Satisfaction to see it complete.
blakktalon
18-11-2012, 12:58 AM
I am new to the forums, I found oople when I was searching for information on the bk2 I got as a roller off one of the other forums. Mine seems to be in pretty good shape, but I am probably going to have to tear into it as well. Anyway I just wanted to thank you for the great pictures and documentation of your rebuild.
losimad
07-01-2013, 12:30 PM
@34x17
Thanks, have never actually raced at a club before; I just love 1/10th buggies and enjoy building them and running them over the park. Would like to one day though if I find the time but have too many hobbies!
@vrooom
Thanks, just a shame I never found a new phobia body as the final pics could have been a lot better!
@blakktalon
Thank you, it's very satisfying to turn a tired old car into something that runs like new :) . I enjoyed rebuilding it as much as I enjoy running it and hope to do another project when I get time.
Thanks all for the comments!
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.