View Full Version : Losi xx4 for 2012
Battle_axe
17-04-2012, 03:59 PM
i will be using this thread to show the development of the upgrade kit i plan to produce for the Losi xx4 it will mostly be cad drawings until testing is complete then you will get to see the full car.
Please let me know your thoughts.
Battle_axe
17-04-2012, 04:02 PM
First little bits compleated i have done allot more but here are the first parts i think are finnished they will fit both the current xx4 and my new kit :thumbsup:
D20MCK
18-04-2012, 11:09 AM
So what are the parts, a rear brace and a ???
andy-aj
18-04-2012, 12:02 PM
So what are the parts, a rear brace and a ???
A Lipo strap, 1 of a pair?
andy-aj
18-04-2012, 12:09 PM
All looks good. My issue seem's to be the torque of modern brushless motors, destroying the belts, or melting the pulley next to the rear slipper plate. With the slipper set for a very small amount of slip, to protect the belts, the heat generated is melting the pulley next to the rear slipper plate. Could an alloy, or brass pulley be machined?
RC944
18-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Could an alloy, or brass pulley be machined?
How nice would that look - get it done!
Battle_axe
19-04-2012, 05:41 AM
Yep a lipo strap there will be two but they will be the same as for the pully i will be changing the belts for ones with a larger pitch so a new pully will have to be found
Hope that helps
Carl
londonladliam
29-04-2012, 09:59 PM
All looks good. My issue seem's to be the torque of modern brushless motors, destroying the belts, or melting the pulley next to the rear slipper plate. With the slipper set for a very small amount of slip, to protect the belts, the heat generated is melting the pulley next to the rear slipper plate. Could an alloy, or brass pulley be machined?
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80591&highlight=losi+tensioner
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11355&highlight=losi+tensioner&page=2
add a tensior maybe this could help?
Battle_axe
01-05-2012, 12:24 PM
just to keep you all looking here is a little more i did :) sorry there allot of lines on there that i will not be keeping
OldTimer
01-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Looks like your trying to do something similar to this maybe?. At the time i built this car i did not have the equipment to make a lot of the very custom parts which was a shame, as i think it would of worked really well.
Tom3012
01-05-2012, 06:17 PM
:drool:
trekkerkk
01-05-2012, 06:29 PM
jonathans car is what the yanks want to do for the latest xx4 mk2:thumbsup:
trekkker
RDG 40
01-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Thats awesome y did you not make that kit!!! Wow
Tom3012
01-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Thats awesome y did you not make that kit!!! Wow
Massive costs would be my guess! :woot:
MHeadling
01-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Wow that Atomic XX4 is amazing! :wub
Did it ever run?? If so how did it go??
GRIFF55
01-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Loved that!!!!:thumbsup:
dibble34
01-05-2012, 08:06 PM
That is superb :thumbsup: any more pics?
OldTimer
01-05-2012, 08:46 PM
I don't want to hijack battle_axes thread so if someone wants to starts a thread on the AC forum i will dig out more pics.
Thinking about it i will start a old proto picture thread on there :)
/tobys
01-05-2012, 08:57 PM
That looks the business!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Battle_axe
01-05-2012, 09:24 PM
jonathan that is beautiful i would love to ask you some questions about it but i would totaly understand if you say no
knighthawk
01-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Looks like your trying to do something similar to this maybe?. At the time i built this car i did not have the equipment to make a lot of the very custom parts which was a shame, as i think it would of worked really well.
If you build it, they will buy it !!
I will deffo !
OldTimer
01-05-2012, 09:29 PM
jonathan that is beautiful i would love to ask you some questions about it but i would totaly understand if you say no
Ask away :thumbsup: i just don't want to take over your thread, as i guess it could drift away from the XX4
I have now setup a thread on the AC forum which has more proto photos and a bit more info on the XX4 car.
Jaune
02-05-2012, 01:51 AM
How about an alu chassis like the first proto?
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8724/xx4prototype2.jpg
Legacy555
03-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Hi all,
Instead of running 60g of weight in the front pulley housing, I rebalanced the car using a stubby lipo. This would be the way forward - even Phil Booth commented on the improvement.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qS91erC0f8k/TnCGPOIMN5I/AAAAAAAACjo/M4jRxB6b83o/s640/DSC_0352.jpg
Naushad
03-05-2012, 10:07 AM
This is all very interesting and Id like to see development here for sure!
I've just got a losi xx4 we and will be modding it soon with weights in the lipo trays and other bits.
I like the idea of the stubby lipo....how were the gaps in the chassis filled in and how wre the posts then installed?
An Alu chassis makes sense and may be cheaper to produce than moulded graphite ones...I'm assuming though this will add to general weight.
Legacy555
03-05-2012, 11:11 AM
I've just got a losi xx4 we and will be modding it soon with weights in the lipo trays and other bits.
No weights are needed under the lipos. You are trying to get as much weight forward as possible, not back. When I ran the standard layout, I had 60+g of lead in the front belt housing and used the thinest and lightes lipo saddle back available at the time.
Naushad
03-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Thanks for that...if you see Olivier Langlet xx4 (somewhere in this thread) he used lipo weight trays...his car looked fantastic although having said that I am not sure he ran it!
So how can you secure lipos well without making major mods to the chassis. Or will I need to opt for stick packs. I had to do this for an x5 I had a few years back...real tight fit!
Legacy555
03-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Shorty lipo is recommended - get 2 x brass battery posts and battery strap (the one that goes across two saddles across the car) from an Atomic Carbon CR2.
I then made up a radio plate with a dremel after buying some 2mm Carbon fibre sheet on ebay.
You can make up carbon "blanks" to fill in the holes where the lipo saddles used to go from the carbon sheet also.
tyreman
03-05-2012, 05:15 PM
How about an alu chassis like the first proto?
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8724/xx4prototype2.jpg
The first few prototypes had magnesium chassis's
modeltech22
17-05-2012, 03:06 PM
do we have anymore updates on this?? i am rebuilding my xx4 and i am liking what i am seeing in this thread!:thumbsup:
OldTimer
17-05-2012, 09:29 PM
I see in the USA people are using 22 arms at the front and also running a cab forward xx4 shell.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachments/electric-off-road/910368d1334945505-xx-4-forum-xx4-2.0-left-side-view.jpg
http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachments/electric-off-road/910370d1334945755-xx-4-forum-xx4-2.0-left-side-view-2.jpg
RDG 40
17-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Ermm wonder if the arms are a straight fit
knighthawk
18-05-2012, 05:33 AM
the 22 front arm shock mounting position is at the back of the arm !
can't be a direct fit, maybe a new style arm ?
love the shell, brings the look of the car bang up to date !
andy reeves
18-05-2012, 06:41 AM
From what I have read the 22 arms do fit bit have to be flipped around so left on right and right on left. Think I read somewhere that it makes the car a touch longer so will aid stability.
OldTimer
18-05-2012, 07:24 AM
From what I have read the 22 arms do fit bit have to be flipped around so left on right and right on left. Think I read somewhere that it makes the car a touch longer so will aid stability.
No they are using 22 kit arms which i think are flipped around, i will try and dig out a link but there are details on the losi xx4 thread on rctech, looks like a nice mod and gets rid of the weak front arms.
Andy beat me to it lol.
knighthawk
18-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Cool,
My XX4 is in the middle of a rebuild and I've got
Some spare 22 front arms!
Guess what I'm trying when I get home !
LOL
😄
fredswain
18-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Here's a link to a how to:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/9772426-post2128.html
Nice! How is that relative to using Schumacher arms? You still need to drill & fit larger hinge pin holes?
(a direct fit would be great)
migsy
13-06-2012, 11:16 AM
I don't want to hijack battle_axes thread so if someone wants to starts a thread on the AC forum i will dig out more pics.
Thinking about it i will start a old proto picture thread on there :)
just wondering here, was there ever an attempt on a AC xxx-4?
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.