oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mansfield RC Club (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Getting started at Mansfield (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77283)

dicky14 02-02-2014 05:16 PM

Great advise guys. Stick radios are now becoming a scarce bthing, sanwa gemini x for around 150 quid new, these radios are bullit proof. Servos are savox all the way. The team c that ian is selling is a cracking car and there are loads that run at the club so spares arnt a problem. Always ask questions because even the most experianced amongst us dont know everything. Hope to see you soon,(look for the pink and white cars).

Muzzie 03-02-2014 12:47 PM

Found this

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144695

GT_Lenny 03-02-2014 05:41 PM

Thanks muzzie i think I'm set on what car n radio etc I want now , I know it's not the best reason for choosing but I like the look of the TLR 22 2.0 and the Gemini radio expensive start I know but I like :-) lol

Muzzie 03-02-2014 08:52 PM

If TLT 22 is they car you fancy then have a chat to Steve as I know he was running one a while back.

mutoid 03-02-2014 11:26 PM

22 is a great car,virtually bomb proof,its still my comfort fallback car,now i have driveshafts back from our mark ,it may make another appearance :)

P1nky 04-02-2014 12:02 PM

Hi, Im looking to get back into racing after a long time off I was 13 last time i raced (now 29) and 2000 batteries were mega bucks...(me n my old man used to do doncaster, worksop, ashby) I notice time has moved on what classes do you guys regularly run I was looking to the minis you guys do or maybe back into 1/10 touring cars like i used to do time ago with a losi street weapon and an sst. At present i have a tt-01 i muck about with from time to time... bit of advice on a purchase on a cheapy set up to see if i get back into it. As track days in my car are proving an expensive hobby! :thumbsup:

john333 04-02-2014 12:20 PM

Hi Pinky, we only run buggies at the moment, on road stuff virtually died out here at Mansfield. However Broxtowe have gone the other way and have a thriving on road club on Saturday nights. Maybe worth posting on their section too?

P1nky 04-02-2014 12:23 PM

Whats a decent buggy to get started with the location and wednesday night date suited me

dicky14 04-02-2014 12:44 PM

I think the best thing you can do is come and pay us a visit and have a chat, see what we all race and get some good solid advice :thumbsup:

P1nky 04-02-2014 12:48 PM

I'll call down next week after work then :)

Muzzie 04-02-2014 05:36 PM

Buggies are better anyway :thumbsup:

Benny(drift)Chandler 11-02-2014 12:23 PM

Carpet for RC Drifting
 
Hi,

My name is Matt Chandler, I've been doing some research on RC drifting and seeing what areas have a RC drift track or hold RC racing I have come across your RC Racing Club and was seeing all the comments about the track surface.

As a researcher I thought if I could pass you on this information it may help you to upgrade your area for the drifting which may bring more racers in your area to the club.

Hopefully this will help

P.s. I don't mind putting some money towards if you do decide to upgrade. Just pass on the figure and I'll see how much I can put towards it.

dicky14 11-02-2014 12:31 PM

Hi Benny, as a club we are a buggy/offroad club and our carpet stays down all year round, we used to have a drifting section when we were a floor down from were we are now, very poorly attended. if you like you are more than welcome to come and pay us a visit and have a talk to our race director, hope this helps

mutoid 11-02-2014 07:38 PM

I am sure we could make some room around the curtains on the wooden floor if needed Rich:)
Must bring ear muffs though,lol.

DLH 26-03-2014 08:12 AM

Hi guys, I was wondering if you are still running down at Botany Av at 18:00.
I know it's shot notice but can anyone let me know by tonight: [email protected]
or just let me know for another week.
Thanks.

I just want to come down talk to you guys, see what's required and how much fun it can be. I built an RC buggy when I was ten, that's about twenty years ago now, so I guess a lot has changed...

Dom

SteveB123 26-03-2014 12:18 PM

Yes Dom they race every wednesday, racing starts at 7 but people get there about 6-6.30. I've only been a couple of times but they are a friendly bunch and will help you get re-started(don't buy anything until you spoken to them, theres some good 2nd hand kits for sale from some of the guys). Its £5 and racings on carpet, the track and jumps change every week to keep you on your toes.

Im not able to get there tonight due to work but I hadn't raced for 25 years. The batteries, speed controllers and motors have really changed but essentially its the same challenge of keeping a small car in a straight line as fast as possible!

Good luck !

Craig1983 26-03-2014 12:39 PM

Yes mate we are still in the same place. We have just move to a different flour. We are on the top flour now. Most of the lads get there for about 6. We set the track up have a pratice then get on with the night of racing.

dicky14 26-03-2014 12:43 PM

hi Dom,as Steve has said every wednesday night from around 6pm, come and have a chat and see what you think, i came back 3 years ago from a 15 year break, god the technology is fantastic, you can buy instant power off the shelf, but as the old saying goes, faster i sometimes slower, LOL:thumbsup:

Muzzie 26-03-2014 02:16 PM

Yep come down for a chat, don't be afraid to ask anyone, I still ask daft question. We can get you started no worries :thumbsup:

DLH 26-03-2014 05:19 PM

I was looking forward to it, but my garage has not phoned me back and so I have no car (again) this evening.
My main questions would have been where to start I suppose, 2wd, 4wd I'de prefer to buy a kit and build it up myself to get to know it better then upgrade over time. But I guess I'll have to wait till next week.

Thanks' all for the answers.

Muzzie 27-03-2014 04:00 PM

To get started you will need the following:

Car – Of course
Set of tyres
Radio Gear – Decide stick or wheel
Receiver
Servo
ESC – Speedo
Motor
Lipo’s – 1 off to start
Lipo Charger
Lipo Bag – Don’t forget Health and Safety

2mm Hex driver
1.5mm Hex driver
Tool Box / Bag

Optional Stuff

Good sense of humour :thumbsup:

Personal Transponder
More Tool –various socket drivers, Camber Gauge, turnbuckle wrench, ride height gauge etc. (you can borrow tools if needed)
2nd set of Lipo’s
Hauler Bag – This is when you realise you have all the gear and no idea.

This all depend on how big your budget is…..

Start with your radio gear, find out which suits you best (stick or wheel); this is where I would focus your budget. If you buy decent stuff you won’t need to change it and you should progress quicker. E.g. you can have the best car in the world, but if the kit you use to control it is poor, the car will always be poor.

Then you can decide what car you should get, 2wd or 4wd?

At Mansfield there are more people running 2wd at the moment and I feel it’s a better place to start, but there has been a recent rise in the 4wd numbers. I would recommend getting a car that other members are using. This will help with set-up, spares and breakages that will more than likely happen.

Popular Cars used at Mansfield are (not in any order):

X-ray xb4 2wd
Schumacher KF
Team C TM2
Durango 210
Team Associated

All are great cars and there isn’t much between them, but you have to consider different thing before buying. Again, it’s all about your budget. Come down next week and we can talk you through it

DLH 27-03-2014 06:09 PM

That is a great insight of what I can look forward to, I would not have considered the radio gear to have been of much importance and there's some things I will have to google. Now finally with my car back I will see you next Wednesday.

nites 27-03-2014 06:42 PM

muzzies advice
 
Muzzie,
That is the best advice i have seen for anyone to start out racing not just at mansfield but anywhere.
That shud be made into a sticky :thumbsup:

john333 27-03-2014 07:09 PM

Excellent advice. Your radio gear is the single most important piece of equipment you will own. If you buy a crapper you will never be able to reach the next level, there are a load of drivers at Mansfield who have recently upgraded and their performance has increased massively. Plus a good one will last for years and its something you won't ever have to think about again.

Obviously if you're just starting out you don't want to be spending £450 on your radio but there are some good second hand sets out there if you know what to look for.

SteveB123 27-03-2014 08:31 PM

Great advice Muzzie, I have covered all the basics now at least :)

I bought a Sanwa Gemini X and savox servo and can feel the difference already compared to the cheaper ones to start. I tried a wheel but prefer the old fashioned sticks myself.

Its useful to get a car that others run, it helps with setting up and advice (and the occasional repair replacement part!)

Tayter 07-04-2014 10:08 AM

DEX410 tyres
 
Hi Guys

Got the 4wd durango and may come and have a go this Sunday, what tyres do you run on the carpet ?, Do i need the carpet protectors thing on my shock towers ? If so can you buy them anywhere. I run outdoors mainly so a noob at this indoor stuff.

cheers

Steve and Cam Taylor

dicky14 08-04-2014 09:02 AM

Hi Steve, The tyres we use are Schuey mini pins, but you can run what you like, as for shock tower protector we do run them but they aren't mandatory, hope this helps, Rich, team pink:thumbsup:

Dave Dodd 08-04-2014 08:59 PM

Excellent guide Muzzie, hope you don't mind but I've added your guide to the Wbmcc page too ;)

Muzzie 08-04-2014 10:51 PM

No worries, glad I could help

nexus.1 14-04-2014 07:52 AM

Hi guys,
I would like to bring my son over to take a look at your club but I was just wondering is it £5 admission for us both or is it only £5 if you are racing.

I think from reading this thread we need some advice before we waste any more money than we allready have.

I think we are going to need to spend some money on some decent radio gear and possibly servo's going by what people are saying in this thread.

Muzzie 14-04-2014 11:52 AM

Hi,

Its only £5 if you're racing, come down for a chat and we can give you some advice. :thumbsup:

Don't be afraid to ask anyone

lloyd1 16-04-2014 09:03 PM

Newbie
 
Newbie looking to start just wondered what day and time you have to be there and a postcode if possible thanks 😃

Craig1983 16-04-2014 10:13 PM

Botany Avenue
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
NG18 5NF

Wenesday nights doors open around 5.30 ish pm.
Sunday afternoons doors open around 2pm ish.

Get there set track up then let the racing start lol:thumbsup:

lloyd1 17-04-2014 05:44 PM

Newbie
 
Okay cool cool what time does racing on wed/sunday start just cos coming from a hour away so would not want miss booking in is it open this this sunday😀

dicky14 19-04-2014 04:33 PM

Wednesday night you can get in from around 5.45ish and sundays from around 1.30ish. Hope this helps fella:thumbsup::thumbsup:

lloyd1 19-04-2014 10:28 PM

Newbie
 
Hi theres 3 of us coming next wed but we wont be there till 6.45/7:00 can we pre book in we dont mind if we miss the first heat thankyou


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
oOple.com